The X-Files Renewed Season 11 Fox

The X-Files Renewed for 10-Episode (!!) Season 11 at Fox — First Look

Sharpen those pencils and launch ’em at the ceiling in victory, because it’s official: The X-Files will return for Season 11, Fox announced Thursday.

Even better, the episode order for the revival’s continuation is 10, four more than the six-episode Season 10.

Series creator Chris Carter will executive-produce the season, and stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson have signed on to return as Mulder and Scully, as well.

The “event series” — Fox’s words — will air during the 2017-2018 season. Production is slated to begin this summer.

At the Television Critics Association press tour in August, Fox Television Group CEO and chairman Dana Walden told reporters that the network would’ve liked to have more than six episodes in the sci-fi series’ initial revival. “It was really the limitations of David and Gillian and Chris’ schedules… It was just trying to coordinate a time where they all carve out a period to be in Vancouver,” where the drama shoots.

“Iconic characters, rich storytelling, bold creators — these are the hallmarks of great TV shows. And they are some of the reasons why The X-Files has had such a profound impact on millions of fans worldwide,” David Madden, president, Fox Broadcasting Company, said via statement. “Chris’ creativity, along with the brilliant work of David and Gillian, continue to propel this pop culture phenomenon, and we can’t wait to see what fresh mysteries Mulder and Scully uncover in this next chapter of The X-Files.”

The network also released a teaser image. Scroll down to see the poster in full, then hit the comments: Are you X-cited to have Mulder and Scully back for an extended run?

The X-Files Renewed Season 11 Fox

1. Eric says:

Great news! How about not ending on a cliffhanger this time when you had no idea if you were going to get another!

2. opus says:

YES!!!!!!!!!!!! Fantastic news. So glad David and Gillian could coordinate their schedules.

3. Suso says:

Bring back Glen And Darin Morgan! And James Wong!

4. Joe says:

FANTASTIC! MULDER AND SCULLY (how can you call them David and Gillian?)…seriously, THANK YOU from a loyal fan who BELIEVES…shouldn’t YOU?

5. Echo says:

When is ex files coming to tv and what channel

6. Nicole says:

So great to see Mulder and Scully back but CC is not the right producer for this format anymore!!

7. kmw says:

Great news for fans and better for FOX, because their line up is flailing. Hopefully Chris Carter will leave the writing to others.

8. RedReddington says:

*loud screeching noises* Best news in MONTHS. I’m so glad it’s 10 episodes too. They won’t have to jam pack the episodes like last season. So with Chris Carter being the EP, does that mean he’s not writing scripts? Please oh please.

9. Gospino says:

Awesome! Now please come up with better scripts than last time. I’m watching no matter what, but please be better.

10. Andrew says:

I’d be ok with this lasting however long it can, so long as they stick to a small, cable-like episode order (between 10-13 episodes) every season. Anymore than that and the quality of the show will suffer.

Less IS more!

11. Theresa Browne says:

Yes yes yes

12. Theresa Browne says:

Yes yes wonderful

13. Aly says:

This is awesome!!! I really want to see both Morgans, Wong, Spotnitz and pretty please Gilligan back on the writing team! CC can just…not. I am so happy with this news though :D

14. Chris christy says:

So very happy

15. Jay says:

Haha I love how everyone basically has the same reaction. YASSSSS to the series back (especially our Mulder and Scully) and please, oh, pleeeease don’t let Chris Carter write any episodes. If he has to, maybe just one…with supervision.

16. Lin says:

Thrilled beyond belief that X-Files is returning – I have missed them and can’t wait until they return for hopefully many more seasons. YEAH Fox

17. Matthew Drummey says:

HELL YES.

As long as Duchovny and Anderson are back I’ll be happy but I hope they bring back Amell and Ambrose too because Einstein and Miller have so much potential plus they’re just plain awesome and deserve better than just being forgotten as “unimportant guest stars”

• HristinaB says:

Einstein should return only to die the kost horrible death imaginable. She was hands down THE WORST THING to have happened in the revival (if you don’t count what CC did to the mythology).

18. Michael says:

WoooHooo!!! Glad they are all coming back for another season. Duchovny and Anderson still have great chemistry

19. troy says:

Fantastic news! Hopefully Chris Carter can ignore the haters and keep control of the ship as only he can with more of his bold, innovative episodes. A brand new Darin Morgan extravaganza would be the icing on the cake.

20. Judson says:

Good new, I think. Last year I watched 3 episodes and gave up. I’ll give it another try because it was one of my favorite shows, at least until they went all “alien invasion” on every episode.

21. Big Cheddar says:

10 episodes is the perfect amount for a X-Files season. I’ll be back for sure!

22. Yawns stocking says:

Yessssssss, This is better then Christmas.
    You so just made my day..

23. Couchmom says:

YAY!

24. Jeannie says:

Yeah

25. Judi says:

I am absolutely elated this show is coming back. I can hardly wait. There is not any decent programming out there anymore to get excited about.

26. Judi says:

I can hardly wait. There are so few good things to watch these days.

27. Zoe says:

YES! About time. Now let’s keep CC as far away from it as possible.

28. Dan Myers says:

Its great to know there will be another interesting and unique show to look forward to next season! I prefer my homicidal villains to be supernatural rather than just plain psycho… its a great time for the conspiracy plot angles as well. The X-Files would do well To continue incorporating that into the show as well!

29. WayneAdneyC says:

Two Words…Einstein…Miller. Scully and Mulder are forever burned into our conscious but the show has taken on an identity of it’s own. I feel there’s a transition coming maybe not this season but if they could pull a twelfth season out of the hat use that as so. Best ex. Brenda Lee’s The Closer to Captain Rayder’s Major Crimes. They may feel like younger versions of Scully and Mulder, nothing more but give the characters, Einstein and Miller, time to grow viewers. They are the fictional the next generation of “X-Files” FBI agents.

30. Season 10 was Garbage please try to do better with Season 11.

31. LAwoman says:

Oh yes! Great news!

32. Tahina says:

My babies are back!!! Jumping of happiness!!! :)

33. Dennis says:

Yay!!!!!!

34. Rick Deckard says:

Excellent, so glad the show will be back.
    It’s been a beloved show for me for many years.

35. Lynn says:

This is still my all time favorite show but I’ll admit I have mixed feelings. Last season was kind of uneven and I completely agree with everyone who said don’t let Chris Carter write episodes. There’s a reason nothing else he’s done has been a hit. This show succeeded in spite of him in many ways and he got extremely lucky with casting Duchovny and Anderson. Please get Darin Morgan and Vince Gilligan.Gilligan said he would’ve done it last time but they were filmed no Better Call Saul so let’s hope they’re on break when this is filming.

• troy says:

All the best episodes of the original series were written and/or directed by Chris Carter – The Erlenmeyer Flask, Duane Barry, Post-Modern Prometheus, Triangle and many more. There would be no X-Files without him.

• Anne says:

I think most people respect Carter as the visionary who brought us the X Files. He’s definitely extremely creative and has so many wonderful ideas. But he’s not great at translating those ideas into a well paced and cohesive script. And that’s okay. There are people who have that skill but aren’t necessarily creative visionaries.
        Carter should 100% stay on as a the show runner and guide the show with his ideas…he just should have other people write the actual scripts. There is no shame in recognizing your limitations and wanting your ‘baby’ to be the best it can be.

• troy says:

His scripts have more intelligence, philosophy, poetry and depth than the average CSI procedural stuff in some of the others. Nobody’s perfect, they’re all trapped within the limitations of 42 minutes of network TV, but it’s good to have a balance of voices so everyone’s tastes are catered for somewhere.

• MelodyAZ says:

Darin Morgan won the ONLY emmy for writing though.

36. Pete says:

X-cellent!!

Make sure you capture the gloomy rain when filming. This adds to the show!

37. Jay says:

Yes! But please don’t let Chris Carter write them! I’ve waited this long, I don’t want to be bored to death

38. MUSTAFA HASAN says:

Oho.. Com on. I know it a great series of that time. But on the other hand its old. Yes there was a time whe we use to watch X-Files with curisoty but now the viewership has changed a lot. seasons like Narcos, prison break and Game of thrones have taken over the internet completely. I dont think the new x-files can make its place in the market competing with the above mentioned seasons.

39. LunaMinerva says:

Yassssssssss

Now we need to get Vince Gilligan on board for this, though.

40. Ziyal says:

BEST. NEWS. EVER!!! AND Vince Gilligan PLEASE

41. Let’s hope for a better story this time

42. Anne says:

And for the love of all things weird, please don’t let Chris Carter write this season.

43. David sloop says:

I love the x files…

44. safistikaytdlayd says:

45. Elizabeth Jones says:

My best friend and I have been waiting for this. Really glad to have another season of Mulder and Scully back in action.

46. Bernie says:

YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSS. :)

47. Lawrence Mortenson says:

All I can do is smile! I can’t stop smiling! Thank you!

48. Lloyd says:

I would like to see 1 season incorporated with CSI forensics working together to find a answer that eludes them!

49. Phillip says:

I’m so happy I could cry!!