Help, I've Been Peak TV'd!

Peak TV Treasure: Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath

Are you overwhelmed by how much television is available right now? Is life getting in the way of keeping up with the shows you wanna try out? We feel your tube-related pain. Here’s a handy feature that’ll help you locate the hidden gems in this era of Peak TV.

LEAH REMINI: SCIENTOLOGY AND THE AFTERMATH

NETWORK | A&E

CREATED BY | Leah Remini (King of Queens), with Eli Holzman and Aaron Saidman (True Life, Undercover Boss)

NUMBER OF EPISODES | 7 (plus two “Ask Me Anything” specials) in Season 1

EPISODE LENGTH | 60 mins.

PREMISE | Sitcom star Remini, who was brought up in the controversial Church of Scientology and made headlines as she angrily left it in 2013, interviews other former members of the cult-like religion to hear about their (more often than not) harrowing experiences separating from the church. A disclaimer that airs before each episode makes it clear that the church is not participating in the project and “challenges the credibility of the contributors appearing in this program, and their statements;” in fact, Remini often reads, on camera, from the religion’s letters of objection to the series.

If you heard about the docu-series and quickly dismissed it as a pathetic cash-grab on Remini’s part (like I did at first), it’s worth a second look. Each week, the actress — alongside former Scientology mouthpiece Mike Rinder, who left the organization in 2007 — hear stories of families torn apart and lives ruined, mostly by those who participated in the religion’s highest level, known as the Sea Org.

Remini is very much the center of the series, but she allows the interviews — told simply, often haltingly — to be the focus of each episode. The stories are horrifying. Her claw-like nails are amazing. And the series’ choice to use the church’s staunch denials as fodder for discussion only adds to Scientology and the Aftermath‘s appeal.

Most of all, though, Remini genuinely seems to want to help reunite families divided by Scientology. As she promises in an address to the church at the opening of every episode, “You’re not going to continue to lie to people and abuse people and take their money and their lives. If I can stop one, then I’m gonna do it.”

WORTH YOUR TIME IF YOU ENJOY… | The Scientology documentary Going Clear, true-crime series, docu-series that offer peeks at secret and/or hidden societies

IS IT COMING BACK? | Yes. The series was renewed for Season 2 in March.

WHERE CAN I WATCH IT? | Every episode is available on the show’s site, the A&E app and iTunes.

1. Rachel says:

This show is very good. Hard to watch and heartbreaking but worth the watch.

2. pickles says:

Another fake reality show.

3. BrookeBS says:

Love this show!!

4. MMD says:

Great show but also heartbreaking. It’s scary what this cult is capable of, especially if you have never known anything different. It took real courage for Leah and her family to leave and to continue to expose its inner workings.

5. JM Schmidt says:

An amazing show. I’ve read Going Clear, watched the documentary, read Remini’s book Troublemaker, and watched every episode of this show. What she is doing is brave and noble. She became a Scientologist at age 11 when her mother joined, and it was the world she knew. To recognize how exploitative and cruel this “religion” is and speak out against it, given how vindictive and litigious Scientology is, is nothing short of amazing. She is helping a lot of people whose lives have been shattered by this get-rich scheme L.Ron Hubbard came up with over an all-night drinking session with his fellow broke science fiction writers. I’ve heard Harlan Ellison tell the story.

• Leah Rinkowski says:

To Reply to JM SCHMIDT Who Commented on April 20, 2017 at 10:30 am:

I can’t stop laughing 😂 at your statement on how L.Ron Hubbard came up with his get rich quick scheme by an all-night drinking session with fellow broken science fiction writers. I think that is the best description of the Church of Scientology. Cudos, JM. The fact that the word Church is even in connected to the word Scientology is blasphemous to all of the true religions out there.

6. Nollie says:

“Happiness and strength endure only in the absence of hate. To hate alone is the road to disaster. To love is the road to strength. To love in spite of all is the secret of greatness. And may very well be the greatest secret in this universe.”
    — L. Ron Hubbard

• Annie Sisk says:

“You don’t get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion.”
      ~ L. Ron Hubbard

• T ricker says:

Love show this is a cult that is abuses people like Nichole Kidman & Katie Holmes had to escape tom got his 1st 2 kids but Katie had a some good blackmail info this is what they do to normal people who only want a place to worship and end up in a cult & have to choose between family & church that is Jim Jones cult not religionDooto stars I do believe

• Kelley Draine says:

Are you justifying Scientology?

• Tracey Edwards says:

I love Leah’s show. She is passionate & truly feels empathy for the other people who’s lives have been ruined by the ridiculise cult. I love the series and will watch as long as Leah will do the show. It is inspirering to see Leah going hard & although they do try Leah does not get intimidated by the cult. Tom Criuse (used to be his biggest fan) can kiss my butt.t

• MIGHT says:

FICTION writer writes FICTION
      . . . . Surprise, surprise, surprise !
      -Gomer Pyle

7. Nollie says:

The wise man tests before he talks. The critic but follows the fad of a cynical and apathetic age.

L. Ron Hubbard

8. Catherine says:

This is peak TV??

9. Sarah says:

Lea Remini = Hero! Love this show, exposing the truth is key to stop the madness of Scientology.

10. Tracey Edwards says:

11. Wild Flower says:

Great program! Fascinating.

12. Debra Jenkins says:

I love that she’s bringing the abuse and torment that the families are going through to the attention of the public, her book trouble maker was a really great read, I’m SO glad that she’s there to step up and speak out against this God awful cult and shine a spotlight on how they manipulate, abused and alienated children from their families aswell as forcing families to cut ties with members who left the “church” and I use that term very loosely. I just hope one day the authorities will finally step up and step in before people’s lives are lost

13. J Smith says:

Watching the series now. I feel the pain that you are having. I was approached when I was only 13 by a young man and if not for my brothers and mom I was seriously drawn to joining. It is so wrong that a “religion” prays on people wanting to just be a good person with the faith so strong to be used in this evil way. I admire your work and will put you in my thoughts always. Stay strong and peace❤.

• Leah Rinkowski says:

I’m so glad to hear that you didn’t join the Church of Scientology (what I feel is a cult, in no way a religion). Any Church that as you said… “preys on people” isn’t a true church or religion!! 😊✌💪

14. Christa says:

Good for you girl keep up the good work you are strong and beautiful!

15. Leah Rinkowski says:

I think it’s absolutely wonderful that Leah Remini is whole-heartedly showing what she feels needs to be “opened” about what she and other families have gone through. I believe she cares about the families divided, and expresses what she’s gone through! How can helping others be a bad thing??
    I’m sure it wasn’t easy for her to open the truth about Scientology; but she did it!! I give her sooo much credit for coming forward and doing the Docu-Series & HELPING those families divided by what they went through. I give you so much credit, Leah! You’re a strong woman who isn’t afraid to speak her mind!

16. Donna Nichols says:

Kudos to you Leah!!! I have been waiting for a long time for someone to blow the whistle on The Church of Scientology. I have known as far back when Doris Day was involved with Scientology. Her husband, Marty Melcher, was involved more then she was. I knew it was a “CULT” even then. Just didn’t know just how bad it really was. Keep up the good work!

17. Donna Nichols says:

Much to my regret I must make a correction. Doris Day and Marty Melcher were actually CHRISTIAN SCIENTISTS. To me there is not much difference. It is a cult too. Thank you. LADYD

18. kathy finnegan says:

I love this show and I love Leah for having the courage to show just how evil Scientology is and how it ruins families lives. Thank you Leah!!!