Agents of SHIELD Season 5 Renewed

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 5? Marvel TV Chief Still Hopeful for Renewal

On the heels of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.‘s modest yet still meaningful uptick this week in the ratings, Marvel TV chief Jeph Loeb remains bullish on the ABC series’ prospects for Season 5.

“We’re hopeful” for renewal, Loeb shared with TVLine as he arrived at Freeform’s Upfront presentation on Wednesday afternoon, where Marvel’s Cloak & Dagger and Marvel’s New Warriors were among the new live-action fare being touted.

Going into its April 18 broadcast, S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 4 has been averaging 2.4 million total weekly viewers and a 0.8 demo rating in Live+Same Day numbers. In the demo, the Marvel series outranks five other ABC dramas, while also enjoying a 113 percent bump with DVR playback — second only to the network’s sure-to-be-renewed Designated Survivor and fellow bubble show Quantico (both of which see 129 percent gains).

In total audience, however, only DOA Time After Time and the critically lauded American Crime draw tinier crowds.

Thus far for the 2017-18 TV season, ABC has only renewed Shondaland’s Grey’s Anatomy/Scandal/How to Get Away With Murder trifecta, plus The Middle on the comedy side. Last spring, the Alphabet network cut a total of eight in-season dramas (including Nashville and Marvel’s Agent Carter).

S.H.I.E.L.D. opened Season 4 with 3.4 million total viewers and a 1.1 rating, but as recently as mid-February — during the climax of its LMD arc — it hit series lows, drawing just 2 million total viewers and a 0.6 rating. The new Framework/”Agents of Hydra” pod, though, has not only brought on a creative spark (as the heroes contend with a topsy-turvy reality) but also nudged the numbers up to 2.43 mil and 0.8 with this week’s episode, marking the show’s (faint praise alert?) best numbers since its Jan. 10 winter premiere. But is that (literally) too little, too late?

In TVLine’s recent series of Keep or Cut? polls, S.H.I.E.L.D. drew the strongest positive response of three ABC bubble dramas, with 90 percent voting to “Keep” (versus reset-bound Once Upon a Time‘s 76 percent and Quantico‘s 63 percent).

Having been reminded of how great S.H.I.E.L.D. can be when it’s good, how are you now leaning toward the possibility of renewal? With the eight-episode Marvel’s Inhuman set for a September launch, should ABC at least allow S.H.I.E.L.D. a shortened farewell run? (With reporting by Andy Swift)

1. Evie says:

Let it die

2. It’s still one of my favorite shows to watch and it’s never been better. They’d better renew

3. I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a final, thirteen episode season (in midseason) but it’s likely cancelled. And on the off chance they do get renewed, they should bring Brett back full time since people clearly came back for him.

4. I’d almost written off AoS this season, but this new “Agents of Hydra” arc has re-hooked me. It’s appointment viewing once again.

• Jim Dutton says:

I sort of feel the opposite. I’ve enjoyed the series and would like to see it renewed, but this entire Framework/AoH arc isn’t for me.

I thought what they did with Ward was a mistake in the first place. Yes, it was courageous writing and a stunning surprise, but they spent one of their best characters and most compelling actors to do it.

Sometimes these longer arcs don’t have enough meat to sustain them, and this one is like that IMO. They’d do better to have some procedural episodes thrown in that meet their basic premise.

5. Christina says:

Get it to 100 eps!

6. justsomeguy says:

Hope it just moves over to Netflix if ABC is moving on.

7. Ben says:

SHIELD is my favourite show on TV right now. I’d be sad to see it only get 4 seasons. I always feel as though 5-7 seasons is the sweet spot for a TV show, and lots of my absolute favs (Fringe, Chuck come to mind), five seasons feels good. But I have to say, SHIELD doesn’t feel to me like it’s had 4 seasons already, it’s gone by in a flash. I really hope it’s renewed, and I’m going to hope against hope that somehow we might get a season 6 as well.

• SHIELD should last as long as the MCU does. Anything less would be a waste. It’s like the Force, it binds everything together. It gives us hope in the years between movies.

• John Honey says:

Totally agree! I’ve been thinking the same thing: 5 Seasons are often a sweet spot for a show. It should definitely be renewed for a fifth season. At the same time, I’d also like to continue seeing it for a sixth and seventh season, basically seeing it through the final Avengers movies. The movies can create momentum and drastic changes in the show, which I really like. I’m hoping its final season leads into the final Avengers movie…or is the season AFTER the final Avengers!

8. Dominique says:

i’m worried that it took the show too long to get back on its feet and find some solid ground. season 3, despite a few very strong episodes, was messy and mediocre, and it was already coming out of a weak, second season. i think season 4 showed that AoS is at its best when it’s actually focussing on all main characters equally, rather than making it about one character (yes, i am talking about daisy. this has practically been her show for the past two years).
    and by now, it might be too late for people to start watching again. i really hope ABC will renew it, give it a different timeslot, pair it with another great show. it would be such a shame if they got rid of it now.

• Einhornpups says:

I agree.
      Turning Skye into Daisy Johnson and and focusing only on Inhumans was a bad idea in my opinion. I liked Skye as hacker and Agent, but I dislike Daisy Johnson because it’s an arrogant, self-righteous Inhuman with superiority complex.

I loved Agents of SHIELD as show focusing on a team of non-superpowered Agents and dropped the show in season 3a because of Inhumans. Obviously heroes have to be different and super, and regular Agents are too ordinary and not super enough.

I watched some episodes of season 4c and liked that the show’s focus is more on the Agents, but for me it’s too late to start watching again.

9. MelindaB says:

I think that this has been the best arc of S.H.I.E.L.D. in a long time. While I want everyone safe and sound back in the real world, their being in the Framework has been compelling and interesting, and should be even more so now that May appears to be waking up. I’m not ready for it to go!

10. Phillip says:

Renew it!!!

11. laurelnev says:

ABC needs to look at the streaming and overseas numbers, as well as how it is doing in reruns (is it on UPN or CW?). Live numbers don’t mean as much as they used to. And new fans are being drawn in by the movies as well. It’s doing better at 10 pm than any ABC show in recent memory. It deserves another season, at the very least.

• AMG says:

Forever had an average Live+Same-Day audience of 4.93 million and a 1.12 18-49 demo AND an average Live+7-Day audience of 7.034 million and a 1.7 18-49 demo when it aired on ABC on Tuesday nights at 10 PM during the 2014-2015 TV season.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

DVR/streaming numbers merely suggest the potential live audience. At the end of the day, the live numbers (or, specifically, C3/commercial minutes viewed within 3 days) is the only thing they can sell to the advertisers.

• Yet live TV is dieing each year. XD

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Just telling people how it is, not how it should or could be. .

• Mo says:

But some advertisers don’t buy the extra three days, right? Many times when I watch On Demand, even the next day, it’s still a one-hour running time but filled with ads for the network’s shows — so many that they wind up showing the same spot three times during the hour. This happened just yesterday (Wedn.) with Tuesday’s S.H.I.E.L.D. (Why not give us a break and cut the run time to 48-50 mins.??)

12. Ryan says:

Renew for a shortened, possibly final season and give the actors time to join 2018-2019 pilot shows.

13. rowan77 says:

The show has been uneven with some arcs being meh and others being just fantastic. Currently we’re in a terrific arc with some really strong storytelling and acting. I hope it gets another season because we see that they CAN pull off top-notch TV, but sometimes fall short.

14. They basically owe this to Brett Dalton. The proof is in the ratings. If they lose him again it’ll slump again.

• Jesus says:

I was glad they killed him off. Felt like dragged he’s story put for way to long. It would be awesome if brought him back but in good not so damaged character. There magic now just saying!

• Marissa says:

I completely agree. I came back for Ward and the potential of something interesting happening with Ward and Skye/Daisy. I stayed because this story arc is compelling.

15. Jimmy says:

The problem, in my opinion, is the writing. Until the Framework portion of the season kicked in I was completely bored. Great characters have been sidelined (May being a big example) and new characters added with little development. They need to concentrate on the core cast and think big.

16. ALM says:

This show has NEVER known how to deal with a team of heroes. The problem is not what character has been used more than others. It is the lack of a team in a show about a team. I think it should end and be replaced with something better, run by people who know how to work with the property they have. These show runners have ruined what should have been great.

17. T.W.S.S. says:

After Peggy Carter died twice last year, I don’t trust these guys to renew Shield. Shame, though.

18. Alyssa says:

AOS is my favorite show and really the only one on TV that I care about. It better be renewed.

19. I’m not holding my breath, but if they renew it, I’m doing the happy Snoopy dance.

20. Sith616 says:

Best show on broadcast television. And best superhero show on television. I’ll never get sick of Coulson and the gang.

21. Horus says:

So far this season AoS is averaging a 0.75 18-49 demo rating and 2.3 million viewers.
    Agent Carter’s had a 0.79 18-49 demo rating with 2.6 million viewers and was cancelled.
    I do not see AoS being long for this world.

22. Joey Padron says:

I hope ABC will renew the show. This season been great.

23. Jesus says:

This show is so good I can’t believe they are even considering cancelling. Yet all the the cw show are definitely getting renewed? That make no sense! If it does get cancelled maybe Netflix picks it up.

24. James says:

Here is why Shield suffered in the ratings:

1.Bad time slot with 9:00 PM. Most people are too tired to watch TV around this time and either go to bed or do something else.
    2.The two long breaks. That really didn’t help much at all. The first break wasn’t as bad but the second lasted several weeks until it returned. Breaking the show up like this doesn’t do the show any favors.

if they do manage to squeeze one more season and if they desire yet a season 6 they are going to have to get off their collective butts and finally get some of the MCU movie characters(ie Iron Man,Cap,etc)and either make cameo appearances tying the new Avengers movie or go as far as making a couple of episodes of having the Shield agents team up with either some of the Avengers or the GotG guys. I feel that they can really up the ratings if you bring in some of the Avengers or the GotG heroes into the show.

25. Neal Taylor says:

Agents of Shield is a very good show and should be renewed. It always seems that good shows get yanked in favor of something that brings to mind, (they got to be out of their minds).

26. Hank Murphy says:

They have done everything to kill this show. Get rid of the interesting or likable characters and keep the one dimensional or very unlikable ones.
    Tripp (very likable) – dead
    Ward (interesting) – turned evil and killed
    Price (interesting) – killed
    Garner (interesting/likable) – killed
    Hunter (likable) – written out

…and we are left with May sooo 1 dimensional, dull and totally unwatchable
    Mac – totally unlikable
    Fitz/Simmonds – never can remember which is which, both are annoying as hell.
    This show loves to gives us good characters just to get rid of them and yet keep their worst characters.

Killing Mace was the last straw for me. He was likable and just getting interesting.
    Done with AOS

• Grow up. Mace was their to have a body. People that like Ward, ship Skyeward. The only one I agree with you on is Tripp. I agree they killed him off way too soon. I really don’t know what show your watching because people love Mac, people hated Hunter, people miss Bobbi. Daisy is the best thing to happen to the MCU and AIDA is one of not if the best Villain the MCU has ever had.

• KCC says:

Thank you for your opinion. Now here’s another view:
      Tripp (very likable) – dead (Agreeed)
      Ward (interesting) – Ward’s arc as a character was completed. His dying made perfect sense to me and enabled the HIVE arc which I thoroughly enjoyed. It also makes the Framework arc more interesting.
      Price (Who?)/Garner (Who?) I don’t remember them. So they didn’t make much of an impression on me.
      Hunter (likable) – He and Bobby were fun to watch
      May (likable) – I enjoy watching her. Her interactions with Coulson are always entertaining. I don’t get your one dimensional comment. Have you see any of her backstory episodes?
      Mac (likable) – He’s the conscience of the show, very necessary because of his everyman’s take on all unbelievable events going on in the SHIELD world.
      Fitz/Simmonds (lovable) – The hearts of the show. Science nerds that learned how to be assets beyond the science.
      Love the show and will continue to watch as long as it’s aired and continues to be compelling.

27. Hales Swift says:

I hope this gets renewed. I was sorry to see Mace die, but I was glad that he managed to be his best self and doing so led to a change of heart for May. I am glad that Ward is getting to be what he could have been as well. My wife and I have watched this pretty consistently for the last season, and though it is often a bit of a cliff-hanger, it has been well worthwhile and is actually the only thing we watch that is currently on-the-air.

28. Cynthia says:

I definitely am expecting a Season 5. So many stories to tell! The seasons are just getting better and better.

Please, please PLEASE bring back Mockingbird and Hunter! Ward and Triplett as LMDs too since I’m wishing for everything else lol.

29. llob taylor says:

The show has tolerant ups and downs. I got tired and dropped it this season. The casting was wrong from the start. Coulson , May and Daisy were cast wrong. Every time I see Coulson I feel like turning off the tv. Very weak ineffectual actor. The writing left much to be desired too.
    Personally feel this show should die and be replaced with something else….hopefully something better.

30. Joanne says:

The new arc is exactly what this show needed. Lovery seeing the flip side of some characters and the writing is spot on. Really hoping we get a second 5 out of this!

31. MLO says:

Coming into the whole LMD storyline it just didn’t grab me. Subsequently, I let about 5 episodes build up on my pvr before finally settling in to watch. I was very surprised by how much I ended up enjoying this arc. I wonder if that was the issue with others this season, and maybe why the viewing numbers are down.

32. After 3 seasons they finally got it right. I hope it does come back, although I’ll totally understand if it doesn’t.

33. The Framework arc is as strong as the show has ever been, and I’m glad it’s translated to a spike, albeit a small one, in the ratings. Very hopeful for a fifth and final season.

34. Bonnie Heilander says:

I absolutely love SHIELD! PLEASE DON’T TAKE IT OFF. Coulson is the bomb.

35. WayneAdneyC says:

Its main purpose and this saddens me to say was to promote the “Disney’s” Marvel film franchise and at this point the movies are self promoting themselves especially Avengers in which this series is tied into, loosely. On a more happier note, this series does has it own character and it has been sleeping the first season or two and is still not fully awake. I know time is money, special effects is money, craftier adventure stories with clever, eye-pooping villains and heroes are expensive. If it’s not profitable for ABC, ship it to Freeform or… Disney are you out there? Make a station to air these kind of shows that both teens and adults can watch and maybe kids with parental supervision. Disney has DX, with mostly action cartoons and a live-action show or two…but a station promoted for these kinds of live-action shows like Marvel could grow and be a success. I just want season 5 and more seasons to come.

36. Carlos Lee says:

Netflix would the perfect place, but it probably would not happen.

37. ChasH says:

The only thing that is hurting AOS is it’s lack of crossover with the movies. Just once I would like to see someone in a movie or even Netflix mention the Inhuman issue. If they do cancel the show than they should bring the agents especially Coulson in for the yet to be titled Avengers movie in 2019.

38. Doreen Fowler says:

Marvel Agents of Shield has come a long way from Season 1. The story lines have improved and now with this alternate reality it is better than ever. I would be really disappointed if this show isn’t renewed. :[