Syfy's Krypton: In Leaked Pilot Trailer, Grandpa Has a Message for Superman

The story of your family isn’t how we died, but how we lived.”

That’s the message being left by Kal-El’s grandfather in a leaked (and since-deleted, sorry!) trailer for Syfy’s upcoming Superman prequel pilot, Krypton.

Penned by David S. Goyer (Man of Steel) and Ian Goldberg (Once Upon a Time), Krypton is set two generations before the destruction of Superman’s home planet and follows the future Man of Steel’s forefather — Seg-El (played by The Halcyon‘s Cameron Cuffe), whose House of El was ostracized and shamed — as he fights to redeem his family’s honor and save his beloved world from chaos.

The cast also includes Georgina Campbell (Broadchurch) as Lyta Zod, a military cadet and Seg-El’s romantic interest; Ian McElhinney (Game of Thrones) as Seg-El’s own grandpa, a genius fascinated by space exploration; Rasmus Hardiker (Black Mirror) as Seg-El’s best friend; Elliot Cowen (Da Vinci’s Demons) as chief magistrate Daron Vex; and Wallis Day (The Royals) as Daron’s daughter Nyssa.

Sleepy Hollow vet Damian Kindler is set as showrunner and will serve as an EP alongside Goyer. Doctor Who/Sherlock helmer Colm McCarthy directed the pilot.

Did you see the trailer before it got vanquished by legal kryptonite? How did the pilot look to you?

1. Diggory says:

The show looks good

2. LK says:

Does this have a premier date yet?

3. Haz says:

Looks interesting. I’ll admit Syfy puts out some awful movies (Ragin Cajun Redneck Gators!) but they do have some decent shows. I will say I hope this is written with the American cable audience in mind, my biggest issue with The Magicians is how it’s dialogue is written for premium cable and censored when it airs. Netflix however thankfully streams the uncensored version.

• Wordsmith says:

I actually really enjoy the censored profanity on Magicians and the Expanse. Having the f-bombs muted out actually gives them more impact in many instances. Hearing the word out loud too many times, you get desensitized.

4. Butch says:

I’m in. Is this just a pilot or has it been ordered to series?

5. Drew says:

I know a lot of people hate TV prequels (e.g, Caprica, a prequel to BSG, where I was one of the few who loved it) but I’m really looking forward to Krypton. I will need to make a House of El family tree, though, that’s for sure!

• J.B. says:

I liked Caprica too. They canceled the show just as it was finding its footing.

• drhenning says:

I so agree about Caprica that was pretty slow at first but got better and better but it was too late.. it is interesting that the virtual world they showed that led to Cylons is becoming more and more true in this world today.. who knows??

6. Wordsmith says:

This show will have the opposite problem from fellow DC-prequel Gotham. Whereas we know that everything is going to turn out more or less okay for Bruce Wayne, Alfred, James Gordon, et al; we already know that basically everything the characters on Krypton will do ultimately ends in total failure, unless they seriously alter the canon.
    Than again, Titanic was a pretty big hit, so maybe they can pull it off.

7. Joey Padron says:

The trailer for the pilot episode looks good. Hope the show gets ordered to series.

8. T.W.S.S. says:

When this show was first announced three years ago, I had doubts. But it looks pretty solid. Hope it’s worth the wait.

9. Vi says:

Wish I could’ve watched it, I got NBC universal blocking video for copy rights. 😔

• Ange says:

Go to one of DC fan accounts on Instagram. The trailer is everywhere. Dont know if u can post links on the comments section