The Flash‘s Grodd may soon have some competition for TV’s Scariest Ape.
A contemporary, female-led King Kong Skull Island series is being developed by MarVista Entertainment and IM Global.
The project, which will feature a multicultural ensemble, explores the wonders and horrors of Skull Island and its origins.
Jonathan Penner and Stacy Title (The WB’s Lone Ranger pilot) will pen the drama, which has yet to be shopped to networks.
Ready for more of today’s newsy nuggets? Well…
* Alec Baldwin will take over as host of TCM’s classic films showcase The Essentials, following the death of host Robert Osborne. Each Saturday at 8/7c, beginning May 6, Baldwin will be joined by one of three special guests: David Letterman, Tina Fey or filmmaker William Friedkin.
* BET and FX have acquired syndication rights to ABC’s black-ish, which will begin airing on the cable nets in fall 2018, our sister site Deadline reports.
* Amazon has renewed its original drama series Patriot for Season 2. The show stars Michael Dorman (Wonderland) as an intelligence officer who, in order to prevent Iran from going nuclear, assumes a “non-official cover” as a mid-level employee at a Midwestern industrial-piping firm.
* Jill Hennessy (Crossing Jordan) will star in Comedy Central’s family comedy Crawford, from Trailer Park Boys creators Laura Michalchyshyn and Mike Clattenburg, per The Hollywood Reporter. The actress will play an award-winning cereal executive juggling work stress with the needs of her husband and family.
* Mireille Enos (The Catch), Greg Kinnear (Rake) and Steve Buscemi (Boardwalk Empire) will appear in standalone episodes of Amazon’s upcoming anthology series Philip K. Dick’s Electric Dreams, per The Hollywood Reporter.
* AMC has released new key art for Fear the Walking Dead Season 3, premiering Sunday, June 4 at 9 pm.