Girls Season 6 Shosh

Girls EP Solves the Final Season's Biggest Mystery: Where Was Shosh?

Conspiracy theorists, prepare to be greatly disappointed.

No, Girls creator/star Lena Dunham did not have Zosia Mamet locked up in some abandoned Bushwick warehouse during filming of the HBO comedy’s sixth and final season. Turns out the explanation behind the dearth of Shoshanna during the series’ 10-episode swan song is far less dramatic, according to executive producer Jenni Konner, who tells TVLine, “It’s just creatively how we told the story.”

Konner says Mamet’s minimal screen time was essentially foreshadowed in Episode 2 when Shosh experienced her “I picked the wrong friends” epiphany at the WEMUN mixer. “The whole point of the ending for Shosh is that Shosh is on her own and doesn’t want to be with these people, so it wouldn’t really make sense to have her around that much [after that],” Konner argues. “Every season someone is missing somewhere. We’re not a show that says, “OK, here are our four characters — what are they all doing?'”

Girls also isn’t a show that sends a couple riding off into the sunset together just because they seem perfect for one another, which is why, in the end, Ray and Shosh went their separate ways. “He was her first and they will always know each other,” reasons Konner. “But I don’t think they are destined for each other.”

1. kmw says:

” It is just creatively how we told the story” I guess for some Girls fans they can accept that line, but I will tell you this. I am a Bones fan and even though I wanted Booth and Brennan front and center, if Bones had shunted aside Angela and Hodgins like this I would be mad. The show was called Girls right? Well it seemed like the finale only had some of them there. A series finale should satisfy fans of ALL the characters they have come to love

• KCC says:

If Girls was like Bones I would have stopped watching it after the first season like I did Bones. I was fine with the finale. I thought it was fitting for the type of show is was. An ending of everybody living happily-ever-after would have been out of place to me.

• Adam says:

I think a major part of the entire series has been that the girls aren’t really friends. They’ve been fighting about their friendship for years. The third season episode “Beach House” where they all got into a nasty fight with each other was a clear example of it – everything they said in that fight of why they annoyed each other was true and never stopped being true, so it was only a matter of time that they broke up as a group. They had their finale in the penultimate episode. It was true to the show to pull this off.

2. april-ann says:

Makes total sense especially considering the show Girls was. I agree that we didn’t need to see her once she decided she didn’t want to spend time with the other girls. She certainly didn’t need to appear in the finale since her story was wrapped up in the penultimate episode Goodbye Tour. Shoshanna fans can be happy – she got a happy ending.

• Rook says:

They could have done a cool arc for Shosh finding herself and realizing she picked the wrong friends, but they made the choice to not show it. It’s disappointing.

3. Geo says:

When you have someone on a show who’s pushed off into a storyline for most of a season set in an entirely different country than the rest of your cast and then the next season has almost no screen time whatsoever, I’d say it’s pretty likely that there was more going on behind the scenes than “oh, we kept her off screen for creative reasons.”

4. Amelia says:

Shosh was also brought into the group as Jessa’s cousin. It’s very natural that she wouldn’t end up as close to the other girls esp as we know they are mostly horrible friends.

5. To be honest anyone who ever watched the actual show knew Shoshanna and Jessa were secondary to Hannah and Marnie. Shosh was one of my favorite characters and even I thought she and Jessa had an appropriate send off. I have many problems with the finale of the show, those two characters not being in it isn’t one of them.

• Jim says:

Yep. Shosh and Jessa were always treated like second-tier characters with regard to screentime and storyline focus. Definitely a bit frustrating at times, but that’s how it always was. And on top of that it was really the Hannah show all along, although Marnie did manage to draw more focus than the others.

6. maggie says:

The whole premise of Girls was that you change as you get older and the friends of your youth don’t necessarily change in the same way. You no longer have things in common and grow apart. Girls was about the growing pains of these people in their quest to become adults. The friends you had as Girls don’t always last when you become grown Women.