Deadwood Revival Movie

Deadwood Revival Script 'Has Been Delivered to HBO,' Says Ian McShane

There’s been some movement on HBO’s long-gestating Deadwood revival, according to Al Swearengen himself.

Series creator David Milch’s “two-hour movie script has been delivered to HBO,” Ian McShane reveals to TVLine exclusively, before adding with a laugh, “If they don’t deliver [a finished product], blame them.”

McShane, who has a starring role in Starz’ American Gods (premiering April 30), says he’s spoken to Milch “about some of” the script. “I’ll be seeing him for lunch [soon],” he continues. “We’d all love to do it… It would be nice to see all of the old gang again.”

This marks a significant step forward from where things stood earlier this year. “I haven’t read [Milch]’s script yet,” HBO’s top programming exec Casey Bloys told TVLine back in January at the Television Critics Association winter press tour. “I know he’s working on it. But I have not seen anything yet.” It was a year earlier that Bloys’ predecessor Michael Lombardo first confirmed to TVLine that a Deadwood reunion project had been commissioned.

The Deadwood progress report comes just weeks after news broke that Milch has quietly been working on a potential third season of True Detective with the anthology drama’s creator Nic Pizzolatto. (With reporting by Kim Roots)

1. Linda says:

#Deadwood let it be so please!

2. MMD says:

This makes me soooooooooooo excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HBO HAD BETTER DELIVER if they don’t want a revolt.

3. pickles says:

Deadwood over True Detective any day.

4. Drew says:

It’s been 11 years! It’s so long since I’ve seen Deadwood that I can’t remember anything about how it left off. Now I just need to plan how to binge three seasons to catch up but I’d guess I probably have another year before the movie finale makes it to HBO viewers?

5. Bartimeus says:

Carnivale next please.

6. hank says:

Ian McShane is a dead set legend

7. loisbea says:

Deadwood: Probably the best TV show ever. Any Milch follow-up is welcome, if long-overdue. Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul are close behind in excellence, but never exceeded Deadwood. Firefly is the most fun TV series ever, but some producers had the good sense to make a film of it a couple of years after the series was cancelled. Like Deadwood should have done already.

8. Greg says:

Let’s be honest. What we really want to see from ian McShane is a Lovejoy revival

9. Walkie says:

How many times has HBO blue balled us over a Deadwood movie?

I refuse to get my hopes up even though I realllllyyyyyy want it to happen.

10. Billy Bob Johnson says:

So, we’re looking at around a Fall 2018 debut, at the earliest. I’m guessing it won’t happen until Spring 2019.

11. David Kane says:

if we are following the historical time line like the tv show season 4 would been about the September 26, 1879,fire that devastated Deadwood, destroying more than three hundred buildings and consuming the belongings of many inhabitants. Many of the newly impoverished left town to start again.

two hours is not enough give us 3 or 4

12. Eddie says:

I recently binge watched all 3 seasons at my brother’s suggestion and I have been left with the biggest case of lack of closure in a TV show ever. This was is an incredible story that needs to be finished. From seeing everyone else’s comments I must agree that it will be a shame if HBO does not follow through with the movies. I expect there are millions of Deadwood fans out there that just have not spoken out yet. To HBO: don’t do again what you did with Rome. Give your fans what they want. Heck, even the actors are on board for the revival. You have nothing to loose.