The Originals Spoilers

The Originals: Riley Voelkel Previews 'Turning Point' for Freya and Keelin

Freya’s icy Mikaelson exterior is finally melting on Friday’s episode of The Originals (The CW, 8/7c) with a little help from the strongest potion known to man: tequila!

“Freya never gets to go out,” Riley Voelkel laments to TVLine, adding that she’s thrilled about her character’s budding social life. “She and Keelin go out drinking this week, and being able to have one night — just one night to celebrate the next step — is huge for Freya. She deserves to be able to do that more than anyone.”

Though she can’t provide any specific details about how the two might be growing closer, Voelkel confirms that Friday’s episode marks a “turning point” in their relationship: “There’s obviously a connection there, of some sort, and it’s not for nothing.”

Voelkel says she’s “glad” that fans seem to be warming up to the idea of Freya and Keelin’s companionship, adding her own voice to the chorus of people thrilled to see Freya’s vulnerable side finally coming out to play.

“Freya’s normally so focused on getting things done and putting her family first that you never get to see this emotional side of her,” Voelkel says. “We’re starting to see her form a relationship with someone outside of the family, and we’re learning that there’s so much more to her than we knew. She has feelings and desires!”

Looking back at Freya’s antics at the beginning of last season, Voelkel notes, “Even the few guys she brought home, there was never really a connection beyond that night. So to have someone who can be a real friend or a real teammate is huge for her. She’s used to being on her own, so she’s not expecting it.”

Your thoughts on Freya and Keelin’s “connection”? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. Serah Cheatham says:

I am elated about this storyline. I think there is indeed some chemistry there. Both ladies are beautiful and Freya needs to be able to fall in love. I can’t wait to see their story unfold.

2. Ladonna cavaness says:

Absolutely love the idea that Freya is showing her vulnerable side,it’s sexy on that note Freya an keelin I can’t wait, there both sexy ,beautiful amazing women, iam so excited to see this episode, I love the originals,it’s the best show on cw!!¡!

3. cjk51 says:

I’ve been waiting for Freya to have a ‘friend’! It’s great that it’s somebody supernatural, that ring will make her powerful.

4. Jon says:

Freya kidnapped her, is holding her against her will. And that’s supposed to be the starting point for a relationship?

What is it with this show and stockholming the crap out of people.

• Weezy says:

Oh look another sane person decided to comment. I almost didn’t after seeing all the crazy comments above, but it’s a brave new world I suppose. One in which a seemingly straight character all of a sudden changes her sexuality after 1000 years and decides that she wants a relationship with a woman she kidnapped and was ready to kill within a few minutes of their meet cute. People are just crazy these days. No wonder TV writing has become so weak and political.

• Joymg says:

OMG AMEN

• Jane says:

You are watching a show about a family of ancient serial killers. If you like any tvd universe couple, chances are, you like a very unhealthy ship, just unhealthy in a different way.
        And lately every show feels obliged to have a gay couple, especially a show that was criticised for killing gay charters. So here is your explanation for Freya suddenly becoming gay. But, to be fair, I guess smth like that is actually possible (e.g. Kristen Stewart if you know who it is).

• Lucy says:

I think it’s hypocritical as I’ve seen writers from TO brag about how their ships are healthier than the ships in TVD (mainly MN), only recently Carina has said that they are not and that there are barely any healthy ships on TV because the sad fact is, they don’t make drama or good TV. Carina pointed out that CK isn’t a healthy ship and got attacked by fans for it.

• Jane says:

Problematic characters and unhealthy ships are usually entertaining to watch. But it’s funny when tvd/to fans call some ships unhealthy and then reveal they ship smth like ck. I saw Carina’s tweets and she made perfect sense. Ck shippers just got defensive, that’s all

• Lucy says:

Jane, it’s ok to get defensive about a ship, but they were attacking her for speaking bad about it, not trying to see her POV, a therapist-patient relationship isn’t healthy, not to mention that he compelled her to date Marcel in S1. Some were disregarding canon and when they couldn’t provide a valid defence they bring in other ships or go well you support abuse.
            They couldn’t handle that there ship isn’t perfect, no ship is, you have to accept the problematic side and the writers should feel that they can express an opinion, she was never hating on them, just pointing out the flaws, some were even putting words in her mouth by saying that she ships KC, when she never said that, she wrote the letter as a favour to Julie and her job is a writer.

I just hope that the writers acknowledge the problematic side to Freya/Keelin but I don’t care about Keelin because at the moment she is introduced as a prop for Freya, she is just a love interest and she is defined by her sexuality – even when her casting was announced they announced her as a bisexual werewolf – clearly suggesting that she was going to romance Freya since Hayley is with Elijah and they wouldn’t of bothered with announcing her sexuality if it was one of the male characters. She is going to be like some of the former main characters that were clearly introduced only as a love interest and barely any development.

I wish that she was introduced as a character first, so she isn’t defined by her sexuality or any future ship. Then reveal her sexuality later on, I think the writers did that with Lexa and she was well liked (until Clexa/Lexa fans got full on).

Maybe it’s just me, but I believe that there is more to a character than their sexuality, it should be secondary, with their personality being the main thing. Often, I think a character’s sexuality overtakes a character’s personality and they end up being defined by it or not doing much.

• Jane says:

See, by attacking her, they finally got her to say what they wanted to hear instead of trying to understand what she was saying about unhealthy relationships. She ended the discussion by assuring ck fans that this relationship was important for Klaus, and I’m pretty sure that they missed her point that regardless of how Klaus felt about Camille, ck was unhealthy from the start – it was therapist (20-smth-year-old innocent girl)/patient (1000-year-old serial killer) romance that got so wrong that the therapist got killed, turned into a vamp and killed again. Sure it was sugar coated with all the lovey-dovey talk, but if you break it down to the actions, facts and outcomes you can see how bad this relationship was for Cami. This girl is dead without ever becoming a mum or having a family of her own. And Klaus? His family is alive and well, he’s a father of a kid who loves him dearly and now with Cami’s useful advices, he goes on happier than before. Well good for him. I’m a Klaus’s fan, so I’m okay with this outcome, but if they did the same using Caroline instead of Cami, I’d be so freaking mad. So I don’t know how fans, who like Cami can not see how unhealthy and unfair ck was for her character.

As for Keelin, yes, you’re right, she was introduced as bisexual and it’s a weird way to intro a character. It’s things like this that make me think that she isn’t sticking around for long. Probably they will develop this Keelin & Freya thing just enough to make Keelin’s death somewhat noticeable. Lexa was strong as a stand-alone character, but I felt like somewhere along the way she got lost and overshadowed by Clexa.

• Lucy says:

I think Keelin will survive the season, I was talking to someone and they mentioned how Keelin was cast with an actress of a Julie Plec show and was named after one of the writers best friends. So that they will show more favouritism to them, remember they cast some containment stars for TVD S8 and they were rubbish – not them as actors but their characters, they didn’t contribute too much.

• Team freya says:

Okay so freya never really has a chance to explore her sexual 🙄. If you remember their was only 3 Michaelson’s that knew about freya existence . Her aunt to her away and had her lock always for 1000 years , she’s only was with a dude for that one time and then her aunt took her back, and that’s also wen freya realized she’s couldn’t be killed. Freya never a chance to explore her sexual bc she’s was lock away for so long , did you ever, stop and think that her speeding all this time with keelin bought up feeling she’s never knew she’s had? Think about it

• Imno says:

Freya was never straight or Gay, if we are to be really analytical, all the guys she brought home she never had a connection with them, Now let us not forget she was the one caged the longest, Freya was only struggling to find herself all this while, basically trying to fit in to what is seen as the normal order of life, she was tasting all she was locked away from, Now she is getting more stable, now herself is coming out, which as we see seems gay, so it is not suddenly the signs of her not having found her identity was shown…

5. Jane says:

For some reason Keelin just doesn’t look like a character that will become a permanent part of Mikaelson’s family. They are probably trying to make fans care about yet another unfortunate Mikaelson’s love interest, just to make a tragic scene out of Keelin dying in one of the last episodes in S04. Well if it happens, you know what they say about karma. Freya killed Kol’s LI and this season might experience similar loss herself.

6. Valerie Mendez says:

I just want Freya to have that friendship with Keelin, I don’t think the writers should have them in a romatic relationship, It’s bad enough that Hayley and Elijah are messing around. Now I wonder when they going to kill off Josh hell they could of kept Davina even if she was annoying I liked to had seen how far Kol and Davina could of went.

• Penny says:

Yep I agree. I just like a good story line kinda tired of who sleeping with who and what sex they sleep with. Just give me a show with friendship and crazyness.

7. Deborah says:

Am I the only one who is still rooting for Klaus and Hayley’s relationship? I was all for them but then I realized that now since Stefan died in the Vampire Diaries and Cami died too maybe if Caroline came to the Originals Klaus and Caroline may have a chance. Also I hope Freya and Keelin do go out because they would make the most amazing couple. Am I the only person who loves Freya’s hair like I have never seen hair as beautiful as hair. Like talk about Flawless!! The only thing I am confused about is how Keelin is still friends with Freya because she kidnapped her and pretty much tortured her. I know this is a random topic but why does Elijah hate Marcel so much….like I thought he used to teach Marcel. Hope is pretty much oblivious to all this weird magical stuff so they should make her a more important character too. Who is that woman that Marcel keeps fooling around with is she or is she not evil. I hope Klaus and Hope become like a crime fighting team at least once in the show like I thought they would take down the Hollow together.

8. Stacy says:

Freya and Keeling all the way!!! Super happy and excited about the story line.

9. Ryu says:

To all the haters, please this is a tv show get over yourselves already. Freya and keelin all the way!!!!!

• Lucy says:

I’m not hating, I predicted that this would happen and was on board with it, I just didn’t like that they felt the need to mention her sexuality when cast because it often defines the character. I just hope that Freya and Keelin acknowledge the fact that Freya treated her as a lab rat with that mask thing, kidnapped her and Keelin developing Stockholm syndrome, also because of Freya’s character someone that doesn’t open up or care about non-Mikaelsons and because of the context of their relationship – Keelin was their prisoner – it’s important that it doesn’t get rushed, they should slowburn it and step it up in S5.
      But also part of me doesn’t like the hypocrisy of some writers in TO when they brag about TO having healthier ships than TVD, when they don’t and this is an example, I like it but I’m also aware that it isn’t a healthy ship and it’s important that this gets done slowly because if it’s rush, Keelin will always feel inferior to Freya in their relationship – it’s important that they are equals.

I also see how Freya will benefit from Keelin in their relationship, it will develop Freya’s character, but I want to see how Keelin will benefit from Freya, often in relationships with TO and later seasons of TVD, the ships are very one sided, I see how the ship benefits and helps one character, but I don’t see how it helps the other – in reality the sane thing for the other person is to walk away but they don’t because they end up relegated to a prop for the other character.

• Serah Cheatham says:

Thanks Ryu….Team Frelin all the way!

10. kar says:

I think it is a very bad thing to turn Freya
    Into a gay character and the relationship between Freya and keelin should be
    Friends there is space to bring in some new gay characters but pls don’t turn
    Freya’s character into a gay

• John says:

They seemed to have rushed freya into some relationship, they just picked someone that was already in the script. As one of the only two mikaelsons that could possibly have a family of their own, that they would find someone else for freya. Especially since she so protective of family.
      But who could possibly be a suitable match for freya, they couldn’t just pick a mere mortal, vampires are out, a hybrid prehaps

• Jane says:

A powerful witch, like Vincent, or a werewolf. The only living male hybrids are Klaus (family), Marcel (prob can’t reproduce) and Kai (stuck in a prison world)

• Serah Cheatham says:

“Into a gay??” Just based on f2f he fact that she’s going to become involved with another woman….does not necessarily mean she’s gay….she may be bi, she may just be fluid.
      She’s a character who is always so ficused on her family that she hardly ever takes time for herself. She needs someone. If it’s Keelin…great.
      Granted they could have handled this storyline better.

• Ryu says:

Have you seen brokeback mountain ? Only one character was gay, the other turned. Relationships develop, you spend 24/7 with someone and then you find some form of connection..well off course some feelings will emerge. Regarless of gender.

• Serah Cheatham says:

Exactly Ryu. And nobody bothers to even think of the fact that the character of Freya has lived for over a thousand years. In that time she could have already had a relationship with a woman.

11. josh says:

awesome….freaking awesome

12. Margaret says:

If Freya starts to have a relationship wit her a woman I will not be watching any longer! I am so tired of the TV networks throwing this in front of us all the time! You have kids that watch these shows and their is enough crazy already!

13. Jess says:

I’m here for it.

14. comfort says:

Margaret, good riddance. I still wonder if any of the mikaelsons have a job and Marcel too. they wear good clothes, eat good food, live in good homes, but how do they get all that? . josh is a bartender, and I guess he’s the exception, everyone else?… jobless…

• Serah Cheatham says:

Hahaha Comfort…thanks for that. I think down through the years the Mikaelson’s have aquired wealth. As well as Marcel. Both have done some unlawful things, but I feel that both are rich. As for Josh, I think he said he owns that bar.

15. Dina says:

Omg I luv this ship! We are definitely seeing a different side to Freya, it’s so endearing to see overly confident, her way or the highway Freya, get all nervous and melt around Keelin. The chemistry and sexual tension is beyond it’s beautiful. And I love the slow paced development , although I’m like kiss already.
    I don’t get how people can dislike this ship especially for the reasons they give.
    Keelin might be a love interest but she definitely isn’t just some hot love interest devoid of character. Every episode we see it. She’s charismatic, sarcastic, smart, she’s confident in the way she carries herself, she has a back story. You could fall in love Keelin.Even from her first appearance when she told Hayley she isn’t coming without a fight, even when the odds were against her. Or when she comes back after leaving because she couldn’t let Freya face whatever she had to face alone. Even in all her party girl moments. She’s not uptight, she enjoys life. Maybe some of that can rub off on Freya.
    For all saying this ship is unhealthy lol. You are watching a picture about a family of masochistic serial killers, all points after that are moot. Just kidding.
    Sure how Freya and Keelin met isn’t really ideal but regardless the development of their relationship is not based on that. The development starts with Freya giving her that ring, everything she’s ever wanted, then unspelling it, allowing Keelin to have a choice, then allowing Keelin to leave and Keelin coming back – not because she is some psychologically damaged individual pinning after her domineering capture but because she wants to and is free to want to. What would have been unhealthy is if after that Freya kept her, because she liked or something and then a relationship began.
    Just because Keelin had been kidnapped doesn’t mean she fits the bill for a person with Stockholm syndrome, her feelings and attitude towards Freya were not a byproduct of a desperate need to psychologically survive the dominating nature of her capture. Keelin never psychologically broke to the point where her attitude towards Freya is some maladaptive way of coping, quite the opposite. Their capture -prisoner interactions after so 2 always felt like a give and take partnership where Keelin always exerted her opinions and will without repercussion. She never seemed cripplingly afraid of Freya perhaps annoyed but after ep2 , not afraid. I won’t say that Freya making her stay wasn’t cringe worthy but the development after that makes up for it. Especially when u see the partnership and trust developing after Keelin is free to move on. Would i forgive someone who held me captive eh… But Keelin lives in world of werewolves, vampires etc. Her worldview is very different to the average person, she even admitted she would have done the same if she was in Freya’s position. Let’s not forget the premise behind this show peeps.
    Even when she left and said to Freya, this was never built to be a long lasting friendship u can see her being psychologically sane so all those harping on about Stockholm syndrome, may find some other excuse. The development of their story goes beyond that. Freya even apologised and admitted the error of her ways.
    But why is there even a need to talk about “unhealthy” relationships in a guilty pleasures show like the originals, like oh please. The main character is a sadistic serial killer.

• Serah Cheatham says:

Dina,
      Wow! Thank you. Couldn’t have said it better myself. And yet another reason why The Originals is better than TVD ever was. And we need a season 5. I don’t know how anyone couldn’t see the evident chemistry between this twosome.

16. Sammy says:

Nope, no need for Freya to go all rug muncher with Keelin. Was bad enough Josh the gay vampire doing it doggy style with his wolf boyfriend. Like seriously is it to cater for the gay community or to get the male viewers aroused and to keep them watching? There is NO need for homosexuality in shows like this. Isn’t it enough that there are inter species relationships going on here, vamp on wolf, hybrid on vamp, witch with vamp, without making it all about sex and the minorities screaming for equality.

17. Sebastian says:

The most ridiculous part of all of this as well as being so cringe worthy is actually watching two grown men or women slobber all over each other in a DOUBLE evolutionary dead end relationship. Even the entire vampire werewolf love affair thing is a little bit ridiculous but at least that can be explained in the same manner as bloodlines was in Underworld. Anyway, these people literally don’t know just how ridiculous they look and how stupid the story line has become when it resorts to this virtue signalling. This ridiculousness was done to another show called Sanctuary where the main character just suddenly turned gay and the show literally ended a few episodes later. What next? Vampires voting for political parties? Werewolves fighting global warming? Witches advocating for feminism? lol, Seriously, the woman who plays Freya is far too beautiful to do this sort of stupidity after 1,000’s of years of teachings from an ancient family. Inevitably one of the characters becomes the “male” and the other becomes the “female” anyways in these “relationships” which is nothing more than a caricature of any normal relationship. Anyway, this nonsense is better kept in the soap operas and more focus should have been put into the story lines. This gay nonsense for no reason usually signals a lack of imagination and a lack of good scripting. While history is replete with gay personas, creating them just for the heck of it is stupid and turning people gay at the drop of a hat is just plain silly. Introducing a real gay vampire from the old era would have been interesting if that character resembles say, Oscar Wilde, Lord Byron, or even from the jazz era with Josephine Baker, now that would have been really interesting and a blast from an era long ago but most importantly, the entire sexuality would not have been a push of any agenda and an insult to people’s intelligence. I understand this is just a show, but come on now, can’t people do something interesting anymore other than push agendas?

• Serah Cheatham says:

“Freya is far too beautiful for this stupidity “?? WTH!
      So does this mean….if you’re “beautiful” you can only be a heterosexual?? Or does it mean….love is only for heterosexuals??
      Give me a break. Freya, the dutiful Freya who hardly ever gets a break from protecting her family,….deserves to be loved. And she has finally found it. It just so happens that she found it with OMG!! A woman.
      Get over yourselves.

18. In the next episode everyone turns gay, the werewolves, the vampires, heck, even the hollow decides it doesn’t want to kill anymore because the gay lifestyle is just too tempting and too much fun, but of course even the little child Hope turns gay. The magical gayness overpowers all the evil and the world is safe. The end. Way to destroy yet another series with a subversive agenda that insult’s people’s intelligence and wastes time.
    The most ridiculous part of all of this as well as being so cringe worthy is actually watching two grown men or women slobber all over each other in a DOUBLE evolutionary dead end relationship. Even the entire vampire werewolf love affair thing is a little bit ridiculous but at least that can be explained in the same manner as bloodlines was in Underworld. Anyway, these people literally don’t know just how ridiculous they look and how stupid the story line has become when it resorts to this virtue signalling. This ridiculousness was done to another show called Sanctuary where the main character just suddenly turned gay and the show literally ended a few episodes later. What next? Vampires voting for political parties? Werewolves fighting global warming? Witches advocating for feminism? lol, Seriously, the woman who plays Freya is far too beautiful to do this sort of stupidity after 1,000’s of years of teachings from an ancient family. Inevitably one of the characters becomes the “male” and the other becomes the “female” anyways in these “relationships” which is nothing more than a caricature of any normal relationship. Anyway, this nonsense is better kept in the soap operas and more focus should have been put into the story lines. This gay nonsense for no reason usually signals a lack of imagination and a lack of good scripting. While history is replete with gay personas, creating them just for the heck of it is stupid and turning people gay at the drop of a hat is just plain silly. Introducing a real gay vampire from the old era if that character resembles say, Oscar Wilde, Lord Byron, or even from the jazz era with Josephine Baker, now that would have been really interesting and a blast from an era long ago but most importantly, the entire sexuality would not have been such a push of any agenda and an insult to people’s intelligence. I understand this is just a show, but come on now, can’t people do something interesting anymore other than push agendas? Based on Freya’s virtually eternal experiences with her abusive female Aunt and a mother that desperately wanted the entire bloodline dead, seeking comfort in the arms of a woman would probably been the last thing on Freya’s mind, but anyway, that’s irony, right? Stockholm Syndrome.

• Imno says:

19. Angel says:

I love that they are finally putting Freya and keelin together I love them both new it’s about time for Freya

20. Lerato Kgatle says:

I think it’s an interesting twist in the storyline and its certainly worth exploring both these woman are super gorgeous and the chemistry between them is almost nearly palpable. Normally I frown upon gay characters in a story but this time around I find I’m not too vexed by freyas sexuality to be honest I actually can’t wait for a make out scene between to two super models

21. Dominique says:

I liked the show but I love the relationship of freyaabs keelin best scene . Just let not be the gay stndron of killing every gay character cause those relationships survive as well as heterosexual relationships and that’s just such i wrong message to the COMMUNITY

22. Kay says:

Freya and keelin!! I think that relationship is really cool. Im glad to see Freya finally open up to someone. I hope Keelin stays for a long time.

23. Imno says:

Freya was never straight if we are to be really analytical, all the guys she brought home she never had a connection with them, Now let us not forget she was the one caged the longest, Freya was only struggling to find herself all this while, basically trying to fit in to what is seen as the normal order of life, she was tasting all she was locked away from, Now she is getting more stable, now herself is coming out, which as we see seems gay, so it is not suddenly the signs of her not having found her identity was shown… I love the relationship she is in now, I really hope they stay together and unlike klaus and carmie, no deaths please… Thank you