Arrow Rick Gonzalez Juliana Harkavy Series Regular Season 6

Arrow Promotes Rick Gonzalez and Juliana Harkavy for Season 6

Get ready to see more of Wild Dog and (the new) Black Canary next season on Arrow.

The CW’s superhero drama has promoted Rick Gonzalez and Juliana Harkavy to series regulars for Season 6, TVLine has learned. Both actors joined the show during the current fifth season: Gonzalez plays vigilante Rene Ramirez, known as Wild Dog, and Harkavy plays Dinah Drake, who’s taken over as Team Arrow’s Black Canary following the demise of Laurel Lance.

Before joining Arrow, Gonzalez had roles on Mr. Robot, Rush and Reaper. Harkavy played Alisha in two episodes of AMC’s The Walking Dead and appeared in episodes of Constantine and Graceland.

The CW renewed Arrow for a sixth season in January. And Harkavy may have her work cut out for her: Katie Cassidy is returning as a series regular for Season 6 to play Laurel Lance doppelganger Black Siren.

Arrow fans: Are you excited for more Wild Dog and Black Canary next season? Sound off in the comments.

1. JCPrime1 says:

Excellent news!

Now we just need more Willa Holland!

2. Wrstlgirl says:

Sigh, the two characters I care nothing about.

3. Dominique says:

i’m sorry, but WHY??
    wild dog is one thing, he’s been there since the beginning an di’ve grown to like him, but dinah drake… what’s the point of having her around when they’re getting katie back?
    looks lik ethey still didn’t do anything with the fact that the most popular newbie recruit was written off a few episodes ago.

4. Goldenvibefan says:

Ugh. Why can’t Faux Canary just leave already?

5. jrex says:

No word on Mr. Terrific or Ragman?

6. Harleyvt7 says:

Makes sense, fake canary goes back to being a cop whilst still working with the team, and Goddess Katie transforms from siren to canary with her redemption arc.

7. Gerald says:

Still not on board with Wild Dog. We has no skills as a VIgilante. Dinah has purpose and I appreciate that she is cop helping out with cases now that Quinton is Deputy Mayor. They need that connection to the police.
    I liked Laurel, but bringing back Katie as a regular seems like they’re trying to hard to give her a job.

8. nhogan47 says:

I LOVE Wild Dog. He’s my favorite of the recruits.

9. Butch says:

Large cast probably means not everyone, except Stephen Amell , will appear in every episode or they may appear for a minute. More characters will appear like Willa did this season where she was in 14 of 23 episodes or something like that. She is still considered a regular.

10. Joey Padron says:

Good news they got promoted to series regular. I wish the actor who plays Rory/Ragman got promoted. Hope he comes back in season 6.

11. Dawn says:

“And Harkavy may have her work cut out for her: Katie Cassidy is returning as a series regular for Season 6 to play Laurel Lance doppelganger Black Siren.”

I don’t care for either one, so I have no horse in this mess. But was this really necessary? Answer: No. It wasn’t. What a welcome.

12. T.W.S.S. says:

I really like Wild Dog, so this is excellent. But given Thea’s 14-episode appearance this season, it seems likely that she’ll have an even smaller role next season.

13. Liz says:

Don’t know how I feel about this. Wild Dog has been hard to like for most of the season, though he has improved a little. Dinah is a better BC than Laurel so that’s good. But the team is SO overcrowded. I’m kinda worried what this means for my long term faves on the show. I’d rather have more Thea.

• Casey says:

Exactly. I don’t know what the Arrow producers have attributed the s5 ratings slide to. But they seem pretty convinced that the viewers want to see more of these new characters. I don’t know why, and I don’t know how they are getting their confidence about doubling down on some of the new characters in particular. It’s fine if the growth of the team is to enable bigger scenarios (we all love OTA, but there are some things that Oliver and Diggle in the field and Felicity on tech can’t handle alone). But I don’t think anyone wants this to come at the expense of story building for the original characters.

It would make sense to me if it turned out Stephen was trying to work out less shooting time and more work/life balance, therefore utilizing other characters more. This is not exactly a Supernatural situation, where there were only two leads for so long, and as Jared and Jensen wanted more time off, they had to expand the cast (plus the characters were liked). But it may be a variation on this?

• Liz says:

I wouldn’t have a problem if the show was better at writing for more than two characters but it’s not. They focused too much on the newbies in the first half of this season and Diggle, Felicity, Thea and Quentin were given barely anything to do. They started to balance it a little better recently but it’s not good enough. I just don’t think the team needs to be this big purely because the characters I’ve watched for five years always get sidelined as a result.

• Elizabeth says:

Agreed 100%.

14. french5851 says:

I love how Arrow is fleshing out the show with 3d characters like these.

15. Dennis says:

Oooooohhh he’s hot!!!!

16. Max says:

What happened to Ragman, the most likeable of all the secondary characters?

17. BlittleU says:

So the show’s producers took a look at the rapidly declining ratings and decided what viewers wanted was less Rory and more Wild Dog? Then they added in the two worst Canaries, and subtracted a whole lotta Thea?? I used to love this show but it is seriously close to getting deleted off my DVR.

18. Azerty says:

I am really surprised (and not in the best way). With Katy Cassidy’s Black Siren that will probably start as a villain but redeem through the season I thought they would kill off Dinah Drake. But she is ok. Wild Dog however is so unilateral and useless… I wish Thea would be more present, or the return of Roy Harper.

19. Lex says:

I am thrilled with this. I’d love getting rid of Curtis (he’s become… tedious) and bringing back Rory, but I do love the dynamic going on between the newbies–Oliver is now the Team Dad and Dinah and Rene are the exasperating teenagers. I’m hoping this means Black Siren will remain a villain, because a redemption arc is another thing I see getting tedious. Just let Katie be the Bad Girl! She’s so good at it!

• Edyn says:

Curtis is useless as Mr. Terrific. He belongs behind the desk with Felicity or doing recon work. He can make the inventions the team uses and help Felicity. That was his job originally at Palmer Tech. Wild Dog said to do what he does best and Curtis came up with the T balls. Cool, but as a vigilante, he is not good. I like Wild Dog because he reminds me of Roy. He knows the streets and does not have anything special about him. No tech smarts or abilities, just him. Drake should be interesting because it is the Black Canary against Siren/Canary. One has the actual ability and the other a collar, although I don’t think Siren needs it. It is good that she is a cop because they need someone on the inside again the way Laurel was a lawyer.

20. bbussey says:

Outstanding news, coupled with the apparent fact that there will be the first female Big Bad for the series in the form of Black Siren.

21. Flashrow says:

Well I think Wild Dog purpose is being the main love interest to Curtis next season. They just delayed that because he was married at first, but now that he is getting a divorce they are doing it “organically”

22. Phil says:

As much as I liked the unexpected rapport between Rene and Quentin, I don’t feel like what Rene has brought to the show is enough to warrant him becoming a regular. I’m also fairly neutral about Dinah. The one character this season I liked most was Rory. His backstory was much more interesting than any of the other new characters, and after Oliver talked him out of revenge, he became quite thoughtful and a refreshing voice of reason. His rags were also cool. The only reason he didn’t quite fit in this show is that the rags made him too OP. If anything, they should have moved him to Legends of Tomorrow.

23. peterwdawson says:

So the character who uses guns, something repeatedly railed against by other members of the team, while also sometimes hunting another guy who uses guns, is sticking around. I mean, at least at some point they established Diggle uses a sort of tranq gun or something.

24. ALM says:

Well, I was considering starting to watch Arrow again as it appeared that Katie Cassidy’s Black Siren might have an interesting arc and be redeemed as the new BC. But I’m not interested in her remaining bad and this BC staying around.

25. Angelfan says:

Not a fan of Wild Dog, jury still out on BC

26. JC1 says:

I feel like Juliana being added was pretty much a given, with Dinah being the new Black Canary, but I admit that I’m a little surprised about Rick Gonzalez. That’s three new series regulars now, including Katie Cassidy returning. I wonder who, besides Josh Segarra, is leaving? I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Willa Holland is not a regular next year. Maybe Paul Blackthorne as well?

27. grys03 says:

Dumb question – did I miss something or does Wild Dog use a gun with real bullets or does he use rubber/tranquilizer bullets? Was this ever explained? Just seems a subject worth exploring considering Oliver’s current “I like to kill” story line.

Very underwhelmed that a bunch of youngish hackers (Helix?) are able to discern the teams identities & gather the amount of info they have. Way more unrealistic than Ra’s Al Ghul/magic & dimension hopping.

Was nice to see flash back/forward/whatever with Katie Cassidy in Legends & am looking forward to her return as Black Siren. She definitely makes a better evil-leaning character than a straight hero.

28. Phil R says:

Can’t beat the team of Ollie, Roy, Thea, Felcity, Laurel and Dig. Not keen on any of these new characters.

29. Ben says:

Ugh. Loved Rory and Artemis. Instead we get Rene and Black Canary no 17. Arrow makes itself hard to love sometimes.