Big Little Lies Season Finale Celeste Madeline Bonnie Renata Beach

Big Little Lies Season 2 Inches Closer to Reality, Author Liane Moriarty Confirms

My campaign for more Big Little Lies is gaining momentum.

The brainchild of HBO’s limited-series phenom — author Liane Moriarty — confirms that she has been tasked with cooking up “some ideas” for a potential Season 2. “I have started to think about ways this could continue,” she told The Sydney Morning Herald. “The producers have asked me to see if I can come up with some ideas. I wouldn’t write a new book but perhaps a new story and then we’ll see what happens… I’m absolutely open to it because, once I started thinking, it was too much fun to see what I could do and to see these characters again. And there’s definitely places you can go.”

For example, Morarity hinted that a second season “could bring in more of Bonnie’s [Zoë Kravitz] story from the book,” while also exploring “what happens next” for Nicole Kidman’s now-widowed Celeste. “That’s the question that’s also a really interesting thing, when you’ve been through a relationship like that, how do you feel now?” the scribe muses of Celeste. “How would she feel? She’s grieving. She’s still grieving for the end of a terrible relationship and I think that would be a really interesting thing to explore. So there’s a whole lot of different storylines.”

Kidman and co-star Reese Witherspoon — both of whom served as exec producers on the project — have been quoted as saying they are interested in returning to Monterey. Now everyone just needs to get director Jean-Marc Vallée on board. Earlier this month, the auteur scoffed at the mere suggestion of doing a second season. “No, no, this is the perfect ending,” he said. “There is no way; there’s no reason to make a Season 2. That was meant to be a one-time deal, and it’s finishing in a way where it’s for the audience to imagine what can happen. If we do a season two, we’ll break that beautiful thing and spoil it.”

1. LT says:

I’m against this. Leave it be in it’s glory.

2. Melody says:

Let it end on a good note!

3. Zane McGuire says:

Nope. Unnecessary. Some things should just be left. If a second season were disappointing it would tarnish the entire project. Let it just be a great single season show.

(And please, like that chick is gonna tell HBO “nah, bro, I’m good.”)

4. Brian says:

Not seeing how they could top this season.

5. flowerduh says:

Leave it alone! It was a superb show! HBO should find a similar project just as good.

6. Haz says:

Please no. It went out with a bang and I think it should be left alone. Honestly if Kidman or Witherspoon are interested in doing more television work maybe HBO should develop something for them? Both of them could lead their own series for HBO or really anywhere the entire cast could honestly. I hope they leave it alone I don’t want to see what happened to True Detective happen to this show.

• justice says:

True Detective wasn’t based off a book that had a beginning, middle and end and it wasn’t designed as a 1 and done. True Detective season 2 has all new cast and plot and just keeps title and tone. Besides, TD season 2 was good. I never saw season 1, but my expectations are so high I’m afraid to.

• Haz says:

No I understand that part of it but w th True Detective they tried to meet a deadline vs quality. The second season divided fans some liked it some hated it but the creator admitted it was rushed. I just don’t want them to try to rush to create storylines for a potential second season and it disappoint. If they have a second season let it come organically even if it is a few years down the road.

• Cas says:

Season 1 was better so I wouldn’t worry. I liked season 2 too but season 1 was better.

7. justice says:

Because this always the best way to generate a successful show? Come on, Mike, let it rest in peace rather than stretching for more.

8. Annie Sisk says:

Ugh, no, why? This was fine as it was. It ended where it was supposed to. This is not good news.

9. Phillip says:

I’m torn. I really want another season because I loved this story and the characters but at the same time, it ended so perfectly.

10. NTY says:

This is where it will all fall apart.
    This is going to be another True Detective…when people think of that show they remember the bitter taste season 2 left and not how season 1 was pure gold.
    Wish you could have just let this series stand on that single amazing season!

11. John036 says:

I have a feeling IF it gets a second season (which I really hope it doesn’t), it’ll be missing a lot of the original stars (i.e. Reese, Nicole, Laura, Shailene)

12. Ron says:

Selfishly, I desperately want a second season. Creatively, I desperately don’t want a second season. I would love to continue being a part of these women’s lives and see the continuation of what happens. Yet, season one was perfection, and I would be too worried that season two would ruin the amazingness of season one.

13. SJ says:

Why are you so damn intent on pushing this?! Just let it be what it was always intended to be, a miniseries. This website’s fixation with Gilmore Girls, getting Katheine Heigl back on Grey’s and Big Little Lies is so tiresome…

14. NTY says:

BTW I completely agree with director Jean-Marc Vallée, why not just leave this one be Mike. Pretty sure no one will thank you for this, there’s no way a 2nd season is going to surpass the greatness of season 1. HBO trying to hustle for some ideas & plots from the author is def not a good sign!
    Judging from the director’s statement, I doubt he’ll stick around if a 2nd season is green lit…

15. T.W.S.S. says:

I stand with Jean-Marc. The series ended perfectly. And one of the reasons the show got so much attention (besides the awesome performances, music choices, etc.) is because we thought they’d only be seven precious episodes.

16. Austin says:

This sounds exciting, but I’m hesitant to be excited because it will not be a good series if Jean-Marc Vallee does not return. The thing is — they needed to have these discussions a while ago and not now as the viewers discovered how great the series is. The series could only be great again if everyone was back and the story was worth telling. It’s not impossible, but it’s rare that it will happen.

17. Cas says:

I love it. I haven’t watched the last episode yet but I still miss the characters. They should have just made the first season 10 episodes so we had just a little more. I also disagree on True Detective. I enjoyed season 2.

18. The Beach says:

Michael, you’re obviously in the minority on this quest. The overwhelming number of posts agree that a second season, as much as we all loved the first one, would be a big mistake. Maybe HBO should take a page out of Ryan Murphy’s playbook: keep your great ensemble of actors but find them a new story each time.

19. Snow says:

I kinda want a second season personally, but I do agree that it had the prefect ending. Conflicted!!!!

20. IgE says:

Ugh I get it I wanted a season 2 before the finale but it ended so well that there’s no where to go but down. The women are in such a great place at the end, season 2 would just start more petty fighting for drama’s sake.

21. M says:

It was a good show. A beginning, middle and end. Don’t draw it out and diminish the show. Have these wonderful actresses find another quality project to do. New characters, new story with the beginning, middle and ending all tied up nicely.

22. Suz says:

No no no no no no

23. Michael says:

I have just two words…..Wayward Pines!!!! let them leave it as the great miniseries it was

24. Lisa says:

Liane Moriarty has written several stellar books that would make amazing miniseries – Three Wishes; Truly, Madly, Guilty; What Alice Forgot… any one of them would be compelling television. Networks (even HBO) never know when to let well enough alone.

25. Jim says:

Once the Emmys, Golden Globes, SAG awards, etc., start rolling in, everyone involved will be eager for another season.

26. Terry227 says:

How could you go wrong with this cast..For me this show was about trust among women..no matter what their differences, who they’re married to. Money or not.

27. C says:

What’s the point in putting a spoiler warning in the headline of you’re going to SPOIL THINGS IN THE HEADLINE.

28. Joe says:

Basically, HBO offered money to Moriarty to write a story for season 2.

29. funnibone31 says:

The ending was perfect. Leave it.

30. Kathleen Gilbert says:

I loved Big Little Lies! Everything was so spot on. I can see how a second season could come about. Everything is not going to be rosy with Celeste because of what she went through. Plus the aftermath of her husband’s death has got to leave some scars and guilt for many. It’s a process but one that has to be handled sensibly or more scars will develop. Also the music 🎶 is divine. I can’t wait to buy it. Keep up the wonderful work everyone- you were all at the top of your game ❤️I see from the comments before me that I’m really in the minority. At the end of BLL I felt there should have been just a little more, that’s the reason I think a second season would be good.

31. I say leave LBL as a one-season story – or break off into five additional seasons each spotlighting only one perspective from each of the five women. This approach would allow for deeper back stories on each woman and tell the story from their eyes regarding what led up to Trivia Night and fast-following the death. With every season, we’d learn a little more about how the pieces fit into this puzzle.

32. Roe says:

I would love a second season!!!!

33. Roe says:

Season 2?? Yessssss!!!

34. Megan says:

I agree with Jean-Marc. Too much of a good thing is, well…too much. Gluttony, after all is a deadly sin. 😊

35. Karen says:

Come on Season 2 would be acceptable to me! So many loose ends so many ways to continue the story lines. With a cast like this it would be a shame to lose the momentum and the talent everyone brought to the screen. I’m sick of reality TV and was floored by the marvelous cast and the amazing director. Come on don’t make us beg………. I love HBO

36. Theresa BURFIEND says:

I am in love with little big lies. I hope season 2 is just as good as 1 if not better. I have lots of ideas. Are we allowed to suggest?

37. schiss says:

I read and loved the book. I am so disappointed with the HBO variation, that I watched the first episode, then fast forwarded thru the second, the deleted it from my DVR line-up of shows.

38. Chris C says:

If no season 2, why end the show with the suspicious detective viewing them through binoculars with her lighter snapping?

39. LEN says:

BRING IT BACK! BEST HBO SERIES SINCE THE SOPRANOS. THERE ARE PLENTY OF STORIES TO TELL. PLEASE BRING IT BACK. THE OTHER 2 1/2 MILLION VIEWERS OF THE FINALE WOULD LOVE TO SEE MORE.

40. bluepasj says:

I believe a second season it’s really not just possible but necessary. It’s unlike 13 Reasons Why, that they are talking about a season 2 when there’s absolutely no need.