Once Upon a Time Recap

Once Upon a Time Recap: Mother, May I — Plus, the Final Chapter Revealed

This week on ABC’s Once Upon a Time, we finally learned what is truly driving Gideon’s quest, while Hook plotted a course for Storybrooke — only to run into some very bad boys.

Setting aside the continuity hiccup that Hamilton couldn’t possibly be a thing yet in the Once timeline (where it’s not even 2014), I found this to be one of the season’s more engaging episodes. The Black Fairy is one nasty piece of work, and I am most curious to see what she has planned for Storybrooke. It was also fun, albeit a tease, to see Emma and Gideon working alongside each other, as they logically should be, only to have that partnership ripped out from under us.

Upon learning that Gideon (allegedly) wants her help to destroy the Black Fairy, lest Hook never be allowed  back to this realm, Emma loops in Rumple on the latest. He reveals to her that the Black Fairy is no less than his own mother, and that she tortured Gideon for 28 years. And if Emma does help him defeat the Black Fairy, the source of all darkness, she will not only save those in her realm, but everyone in Storybrooke as well.

Thus recognizing Gideon as “someone who needs hope,” Emma offers her services — in trade for A) his sword and B) his promise to bring Hook back ASAP. To the latter end, he takes them to the Sorcerer’s Mansion, perhaps only because they needed a large, maze-like set for what is to come. There, Gideon guides Emma through a portal-opening process, only to have a ginormous spider come bounding through the passage. After feigning teamwork for a bit, Gideon ultimately entraps Emma in some of the spun web, leaving her to be completely wrapped/suffocated by the spider’s silk. As that happens and Emma’s life wanes, inside the clock tower Gideon slashes open a portal for the Black Fairy to arrive — except that Rumple arrives at the mansion in the nick of time to save Emma, thus slamming shut Gideon’s portal.

While Emma and Snow quarrel with Rumple and Belle about just how irreparably evil his son turned out to be, Gideon discovers that “mother” in fact did make it through to this realm — and that “there is much to do,” she purrs, now that she has arrived.

It turns out, as revealed in flashbacks to Gideon’s time in the Black Fairy’s realm, that ever since appearing in Storybrooke a grown man, Gideon has been under his “mother’s” control. See, Gideon always fancied himself a hero, so when given the chance to right a past wrong by summoning the Savior to help him and the children enslaved in the mines, he grabbed it, only to realize it was a trap — and for his disloyalty, “mother” turned his BFF into a bug and stomped on him. The Black Fairy then took Gideon’s heart and compelled him to seek out and slay the Savior, so that she could cross over into our realm and do something horrible, presumably using the Black Fairy dust she has amassed since casting the first Dark Curse.

Elsewhere:

* Regina was working to undo the Charmings’ sleeping curse when she saw Henry’s eyes go milky as he furiously scribbled gibberish, in a trance-like state. Seeking out Isaac’s insight, the onetime Author revealed that Henry’s condition will only get worse unless they follow him out of town. Why? Because, Henry realizes, the storybook is nearing its final chapter, in which the Savior fights the final battle — “and no one wants to be around to see that,” Isaac warns, before putt-putting away to New York in his station wagon.

* Hook sought out Blackbeard and dangled re-ownership of the Jolly Roger in front of him — and in doing so duped the buccaneer into parting with a magic bean, to travel to Storybrooke where said galleon is docked. Except instead of landing in Storybrooke, they were dropped in Neverland, since Gideon has made it so that Hook can never find his way back. Blackbeard found a rowboat and skedaddled, leaving Hook to deal with the Lost Boys.

What did you think of the episode “Mother’s Little Helper”?

Want more scoop on Once, or for any other show? Email InsideLine@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Cobra says:

Decent episode but I’m really hoping they’re setting up for the end.

• Cancellation says:

#It’sTimeToCancelOUAT

• Fabrizia says:

I’d say pick it up for a final season, 7 being the magic number. With an end in sight the story should be tighter. I do not hate this season, especially conpared to the Underworld tedious arc.

2. spp138 says:

Yeah, I was fine with Isaac not being on the show again.

3. David Hess says:

I seasm to remember Henry saying he was 13 last season. If he was 10 in the pilot which was in 2011, it would have to be at least 2014 for him to be a teenager, born in 2001.

4. laurelnev says:

Maybe it will be BETTER once again, if they are actually reaching the last chapter? Maybe we’ll finally get the show that was promised way back when, before the introduction of stunt casting ad nonsensical fad du jour. Every week , I keep asking why I’m still watching, and Robert Carlisle is the only thing I keep coming up with…

5. Amy says:

It was a really solid episode and it was nice to see Emma have a decent amount of screen time I felt like we have hardly seen her since they got back from wish world

6. steven says:

Henry drawing symbols while being possessed reminds me of when that happened to Lionel Luthor on Smallville.

7. Butch says:

Setting up for the final chapter of the book sure seems like they are setting up for the series final. Unless the reset is the start of a new book. “Once Upon A Time” The Sequel. The trailer for next week looked exciting. Time Travel. Rewriting history. Its almost like “Legends of Tomorrow” was still producing new episodes this season..

• PatriciaLee says:

If they are smart, they will have something that could be a finale, left open. That is what CSI-NY did for three years, and those last episodes were great.

8. Andrew says:

So, if this is the last chapter, what was the purpose of introducing the citizens of the completely ignored Land of Untold Stories? While I am thinking about it. Are we ever going to find out who Lily’s father is? I really like the show, and will watch it until the end, I feel like there has been a lot of missed opportunities, and a lack of follow through.

• skyebright8 says:

Agree often characters and storylines get dropped in OUAT, it’s rather irritating

• Teresa says:

I really want to get some kind of closure on Lily’s father storyline. Even if it’s just a line by Emma saying, ” I just saw Lily and her father _______ walking down Main Street”. I was so looking forward to that storyline going into season 5 and we got nothing.

• Fabrizia says:

The actress was pregnant, plus they changed their mind regarding Merlin so there isn’t really that much to do with her, but if you really want to know who her father is I can tell you myself:
        It’s king Stefan, Aurora’s father and enemy of Maleficent in 4×13. He seduced her and left her which is why she hated him and his family.

• ninergrl6 says:

So. Many. Dropped. Storylines.

• JR says:

Maybe the discovered those stories were untold because there was nothing worth telling.

• Fabrizia says:

The land of Untold stories was introduced at the end of last season. Those that we met (Jasmin/Aladin, Ashley’s step sister, Montecristo, Nemo) had dealt with their stuff (or died) and we have to assumed the others did the same without Emma’s help.

• Ryan says:

While they never came right out and said it, it was heavily implied that The Dragon was Lily’s father. In Episode 8 of this season, “I’ll Be Your Mirror,” Regina and Emma were trapped in the world behind the mirror and ran into The Dragon. They told him that they may end up losing their son, and he responded with:

“A long time ago, I lost a daughter, and I paid a price for my ignorance.”

Now I admit that’s a far cry from actual, canonical confirmation, but I remember that at the time many people (myself included) took that as a reference to the fact that he was Lily’s father.

9. fernando933 says:

I hope the final chapter really is the end. I love Once but it’s time to get to The End

10. ninergrl6 says:

I feel like this ep should’ve aired at least a month ago. Knowing Gideon’s backstory is vital to this season; saving it for so long was a mistake. Agrabah could’ve waited. (Aladdin & Jasmine added NOTHING to this season. Wasted opportunity)

Good fake out. I thought Gideon was genuinely working with Emma. That would’ve made more sense than trying to kill her, except for the Black Fairy controlling him via his heart. So the BF is really this season’s Big Bad? Would’ve been nice to establish that earlier rather than the misdirection onto Gideon (or the cloaked figure) for so long. Per usual lately, the pacing is off.

I really liked Emma kicking Gideon’s ass at the beginning of the ep. THAT’s the Emma I know, not someone who mopes around & loses hope like last week’s ep. I also really liked Hook’s tete-a-tete with Black Beard. Good pirate shenanigans & call backs to previous seasons. I’m curious where this Neverland thing is going.

The Henry/author stuff came out of the blue, especially the trance scribbles, but it certainly piqued my interest. The final chapter? Nooooo! Wasn’t the sorcerer’s house filled with “Once Upon a Time” books? The last chapter of one just leads to a new book, which sounds like a set up for the alleged reset for the potential 7th season.

11. PatriciaLee says:

Snow’s hairstyle is getting ugly. I am not having fun with this recent ‘story’. We’ll stick it out.

12. PatriciaLee says:

The husband says, “Tell the Black Fairy to go home. We don’t need her.” He kept asking me through the episode, “Can you tell me what’s going on?” I had given up and had my head in my laptop screen, so I just grunted that I couldn’t get into it.

13. ninergrl6 says:

I feel like this ep should’ve aired weeks (months?) ago. Leading Gideon’s backstory is important, as is knowing about the Black Fairy. Per usual lately, the pacing is off. I like that tough Emma was back, much better than mopey Emma. I liked Hook’s adventure with Blackbeard, good pirate shenanigans. Curious where the Neverland thing is going. Also curious about Henry’s sudden trance scribbling. That came out of nowhere & could be a whole season arc in itself.

14. 221bsam says:

I really, REALLY liked this episode, Charles Mesure is so fun as Blackbeard & him & Colin’s scenes were gold! The nod to Hamilton make me laugh-out-loud, I love when Once is meta, I think I can see how this season is going to end.

15. Ally says:

OUAT has become unwatchable and this episode confirmed it for me. I love Emma, Hook, and the Charmings, but I am over this show and miss its heyday. Time to delete my season pass.

16. 221bsam says:

Hmm, just had a thought while walking my dog, could there be “magic-little-baby-tree-thing..” where Emma & Killian first kissed in Neverland which will break the Snowing curse?

17. Peter says:

Anyone else notice the number plate on Isaac’s car at the end? WED 1901 – Walter Elias Disney was born in 1901

18. Matthew Reed says:

How can Isaac Heller just drive outta Storybrooke, I thought the protection spell prevented anyone from entering or exiting?? Kinda mysterious Id say! Especially since Regina couldn’t allow Robin to leave…

19. MLO says:

Who else finds the accents confounding? The Black Fairy, played by Jaime Murray who is British, has an ‘American’ accent, while Gideon, who grew up with her as his ‘mother’ has a British accent? Makes NO sense.

20. Bonnie Blody says: