Gilmore Girls: Lauren Graham and Alexis Bledel Respond to Renewal Buzz

Gilmore Girls fans, you may want to curb your enthusiasm about a potential second revival.

Although Netflix is eager to produce a follow-up to last year’s successful Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life, leading ladies Lauren Graham and Alexis Bledel admit that they have no immediate plans to slip back into their mother-daughter routine.

At Sunday’s Emmy-themed The Contenders event, hosted by TVLine’s sister site Deadline, Graham and Bledel said that no one has approached them about returning to Stars Hollow. But, as Graham noted, she discovered the first revival was happening from news reports “before we had been formally approached.”

Graham added, “If it all existed in a vacuum, I would play that character until my dying day… Now it’s become what could we do with this story that is satisfying, that is worth continuing. I don’t know if there is a need to do more. I wouldn’t want it to feel like we overstayed our welcome.”

Bledel, meanwhile, said it all comes down to “what story we’re telling… I’m just interested in telling a story that is dynamic and that I can hook into.”

Last month, Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos told UK’s Press Association that “very preliminary” talks are underway with (presumably) Warner Bros. for more episodes. (Buoyed in large part by the November release of A Year in the Life, Netflix added a record-shattering 7.05 million subscribers in the fourth quarter of 2016.)

“We hope [it happens],” Sarandos said at the time. “We obviously loved the success of the show [and] fans loved how well it was done; it delivered what they hoped. The worst thing is to wait a couple of years for your favorite show to come back and for it to disappoint you, but [series creator Amy Sherman-Palladino and exec producer Dan Palladino] sure delivered and people were really excited about more. And we have been talking to them about the possibility of that.”

Since the revival wrapped, Graham has signed on to the Fox comedy pilot Linda From HR and Bledel has booked a recurring role in Hulu’s The Handmaid’s Tale. Series creator Amy Sherman-Palladino, meanwhile, is awaiting word on the fate of her Amazon pilot The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.

1. Dominique says:

i love how netflix keeps referring to the show as a huge succes. just because eveyrone watched it, doesn’t mena it was a succes. people watched it cause they were excited about having this show back in our lives after so many year. it doesn’t equal people loving it.
    i know opinions regarding the revival are divided, but i’m one of the people who, in general, wished they’d left the show alone, given what they did with A year in the life.

• Alicia Salazar says:

I agree. I watched it because it’s my favorite show but after watching it, I wish they had left it alone. The whole series was just depressing like with Sookie and Richard gone. And then Paris and Doyle split up?! I used to watch this show because of how happy it was, but the revival was somber and cruel. Should’ve left the show alone, Netflix!

• Alex Thomas says:

Sookie wasn’t really gone at all

• LaDonna says:

If you were watching for a continuation of the original story, I’m sure you were disappointed. But the revival was showing us what really happened 10 years later. The only other option with Richard was a recast which would have had fans rioting. As for Sookie, we all know that when it comes to the controversy between MM and ASP, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. I, personally, didn’t miss her that much, and seeing her in Fall was just icing on the cake. Paris and Doyle were never going to last. The fact that they stayed together long enough to have 2 kids is surprising enough, but they are both so high strung, they weren’t going to last long term. For me, the biggest downer was Rory’s struggle to find her place in the world, but that’s life…everything you thought you knew in college gets blown out the window as soon as you enter the real world.

• Viv says:

I completely disagree. I loved it bc it broke my illusions about the perfect place that was Stars Hollow. The 2 main characters were always flawed and self-obsessed — they were just young, gorgeous and witty too. Personally, I overlooked a lot of their anti-heroine selfishness bc they (and the town) were SUCH a delish novelty. I’d been starving for dark wit since I ran thru all the 30s-40s comedies like His Girl Friday, It Happened One Night or My Man Godfrey — Freaking Philadelphia Story!!!

So, yeah, gimme more. Gimme a whole lot more!!

Grandpa’s angel protege; selfish, brilliant, lying Rory is pregnant with a demanding, small human? YES!! And like her paternal grandparents, her baby’s Daddy’s parents think she’s trash too ROFL!!!! Oh yeah… Oh, and let’s not forget abt the French wife who’s husband she’s been cheating with — Bring. It. On….

I love that Lorelai still struggle with her blind bullying & selfishness just as her prototype Mom finds peace by letting all the trappings of CT wealth go.

I will watch this show forever…. PLEEEASE Netflix… This is why you were made!!

• Viv says:

HA! I’ve inspired myself. I’m gonna go watch it again… Thanks guys. :)

• c-mo says:

I think you said everything I didn’t know how to express. And The Philadelphia Story is one of the best movies made, ever!

• Kristina says:

Yeah…for me all the things you loved about it are what ruined it for me. So, no more for me. If they make more and some fans enjoy them, I’m glad. But I won’t be tuning in for any more retconning or unfortunate cheating/breakup/aimless lack of character progression.

• You might want to consider Bunheads (over too soon) also from ASP, and then branch out to some brilliant quirky TV from not so long ago such as Northern Exposure.

• JustJules says:

I was so excited to see the revival and so let down after it was over. As much as it was nice to revisit the town and characters, they just slaughtered the Rory character for me. When I watch reruns now, I totally block out the revival because in my mind’s eye Rory goes on to be somewhat more productive than they portrayed her in the miniseries.

• TV Gord says:

Then there were those of us who loved it and devoured all four episodes for the beauties that they were. We didn’t overthink it the way “crazy internet people” do. We just enjoyed having all of the denizens of Stars Hollow back. I watched all four shows in a binge, and it wasn’t until I came here that I discovered that there were all sorts of flaws pointed out by the anal-retentive never-satisfied fans. I almost wish I hadn’t come here after thoroughly enjoying the shows on their own merits. You buzzkills can suck the life out of anything, and while it brings you some kind of perverse satisfaction to do so, isn’t there a small part of you that wished you could just sit back and enjoy it for what it was. I know I sleep well at night, because I am not the kind of person who seeks out reasons to be outraged, especially over a piece of television entertainment.

Crazy Internet People is a registered trademark of Lauren Graham…or should be.

• sarah t says:

i’m with you, I wished they would’ve left it alone rather than run a good thing into the ground. And now I’m convinced that ASP leave the show initially was one of the best things for the show. Now that it was particularly great without her but I think it would’ve been worse if she would’ve finished it out originally. I was very disappointed in the Netflix revival. So much so that I don’t know I would likely watch another season.

• april-ann says:

I wish they’d left it alone, too. I watch the original episodes now (took me a while though because A Year in the Life was so awful it almost totally ruined it for me) almost fully recovered and can almost fully pretend now that A Year in the Life never happened.

2. SANDY says:

I liked the show very much (thank you Netflix) I never could figure out why it was ever cancelled.

3. kar says:

They shouldn’t have brought it back at all.

4. Mark D. Moss says:

Just. Say, No.

While, in most cases, I’m all about letting folks like the shows they like – and, btw, everyone in *my* home were/are huge GG fans – the revival teetered dangerously close to ruining the show for us. (Even more than the tonally challenged post-Sherman-Palladino season.) The show’s creator got to finish the series with her long-teased “final four” … and it was (mostly) fun to check back with the beloved characters and see where they ended up. But, in a lot of ways, this suffered from whatever you call it when when a show spirals into a never ending pummeling of 10-years-later epilogues after the main story has been told. I grant that S-P has every right to complete the arc that she had planned … but ending Rory’s story with having the bright, smart, driven, sometimes-more-adult-then-mom Rory make basically the same mistake as her mom just made me feel sad. The revival was fun in some ways … but it stole my dreams for what Rory’s potential foreshadowed. I definitely don’t need more. (Still love Lauren’s and Alexis’ work … but I’d rather they find new horizons that don’t include milking GG until it turns to complete crap.)

• Sheila Polk says:

I disagree, I beleive there is much more that can happen with the GG, with out it becoming as you say crap.
      Innovation to their characters can create an astounding return to more episodes. There’s enough that happened in the last episode, to make an entire movie.

5. Sofia Lourdes Galeas says:

I did love the come back as well most of my friends… Seeing Rory has grown up just like we have. Looking at their normal routines struggling for a job the love of her life and at the end a pregnancy we’ll whoever says it doesn’t deserve a new season is crazy…

6. Pedro says:

No one else is paying Alexis Bledel three million dollars for a few months’ work and, probably, not Lauren Lauren Graham either. They’ll come back.

• Penny Barrington says:

They both have new series. So you’re wrong. Google it and see.

• Morri says:

There are actors who are doing 2-3 series during a calendar year. It wouldn’t be unusual for them to do a mini series, while doing another series. LG’ s series hasn’t been picked up yet and AB’s series is on HULU, which means all the episodes are filmed before they are released.

• Becky Rogers says:

The difference is that actors choose side projects that fit into the schedule of their main project. That wouldn’t be the case with GG. GG would have to work with a bunch of different schedules and when they can film on the WB Lot. It’s a lot of hard work to make happen if everybody is working on something else. On top of the hard work, they have to decide on if it’s worth risking the good feel of the show again. So Amy has to come up with a story first (she created an outline the last time). Then WB/Netflix will decide if it’s a go or not and then the actors will decide. And then the working to get the actors’ schedules to sync with the timing.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

+200 TVLine Power User points (no cash value) for busting out the #facts

• Pedro says:

I’m not wrong. They are not being paid $ 750,000.00 per episode in their new series as they were in Gilmore Girls: A Year In The Life. I doubt Bledel gets paid more than a tenth of that in other series.

7. Jec says:

If a second season is an improvement on the first, then yes let it come back. No one wants to see Rory act entitled, privileged and bratty and see everyone enabling her behaviour for another season.

• Jenna says:

That literally describes the entire show from season 1 though. Rory and Lotelai were both always overly selfish and insufferable people who the entire town catered to because they were sort of clever and attractive. They were never good people.

• TV Gord says:

I don’t know when Rory went from being a complex human being to the porcelain doll that many of you seem to remember, but I know I wouldn’t want to want to watch a flawless Marie Osmond product in another season. When you say no one wants to see…yada yada yada…speak for yourself, because I enjoy the entitled, privileged and bratty character that you want placed on a pedestal over the years since the series ended. It seems a lot of fans wanted to see these characters back, but no one wanted to see ANYTHING happen to them. I shake my head in your general direction.

8. N says:

I want it back!

9. Cathy says:

I loved the revival and would be absolutely thrilled to see another “year in the life.” I think there are more stories left to tell.

10. Jessica Jolliffe says:

Nooooo…. I want to find out if Rory tells Logan of the baby and if her and Jess get back together even if she is pregnate. There is just to much to see… I am a huge fan of this show and was so happy when they did more. Please do more another season.

11. ulli says:

I absolutely loved it!!!
    And we want more episodes – zhe last four wirds were are reall cliffhanger!!!

12. abz says:

I enjoyed the revival. Of course it wasn’t perfect. That musical is one of the first thing that comes to mind. I think the biggest problem was that it was such a huge TV event and who knows if it would ever happen again so they decided to bring back almost every random character. A second season should be scaled down a bit focusing on the main cast more. Of course we’ll need the townspeople, but not every random character needs to be brought back.
    —–
    A lot of the criticisms I’ve read were about how Rory hadn’t gotten her life together and I agree that she’s made some terrible decisions and at times was very dislikable (e.g., the whole Paul boyfriend forgetting his name thing) and acted very weird (e.g., I get that Lorelai and Rory are close, but openly talking with your mom about your one night stand in detail was just odd). However, I related very much to her career situation and her feeling of being lost. I didn’t find that too hard to believe and even though she’s like 32 it still didn’t feel unrealistic to me. Not everyone has the their life figured out, not even supposedly perfect Rory.
    —–
    I feel like a second (or would it be ninth season) could have a lot of potential. There are lots of stories to tackle. For one, maybe with more advanced notice, they can maybe get Melissa McCarthy to return for a bit longer this time and she can get a bit of a storyline (she was definitely one of the highlights of the revival even with such a small scene). We could see what’s going to happen with Rory’s book. How will Lorelai react to the success or failure of it? How will Rory deal with motherhood and who is the actual father of her baby and will he be a part of his child’s life in a way that’s different from Christopher’s. And Lorelai and Luke. Will they still go through with having another child? What will happen with Lorelai franchising the inn. I’d love to meet Michel’s husband and see more of the inn (especially Sookie and Michel together). What will be the next chapter in Emily’s life? I’m sure they can find something fun for Paris to do as well (she was another highlight of the revival)

13. Larry says:

The 4 new ones put them on a DVD lease. Some of us cannot stream them.

14. ChrisGa says:

The two biggest missteps in the revival for me were the musical and the overall characterization of Rory, who was damaged nearly beyond repair (a third would be Logan, who was always a douche, but truly took it to the next level in those episodes). The rest was great.

15. Laura Markl says:

I was disappointed with the revival in two ways. The cliff hanger with Rory being pregnant and the use od foul language whoch was mot necessary.

16. Cinda Jernig@n says:

I love watching. The show iwatch @ll the time i wish it come back on T.V

17. Lisa Echerd says:

What I got out of their comments is they aren’t sure the writers can do a script they will want to be part of? Perhaps they regret being part of such a poor reunion show the last time.

18. Cas says:

I mean they would just screw it up again.

19. Nicole says:

You’re all getting this wrong. Alexis Bledel was right about how AYITL was a beginning. Don’t like that Doyle and Paris broke up? Season 2 is when they reconcile (presumably by just installing that gd elevator in their house). Didn’t like that Rory wasn’t her best self? Watch her climb back to the top! Maybe she will get with Logan maybe Jess shippers were right, maybe her otp really is journalism. Plus Lorelai is upgrading to a nunnery. I’d love to see how that goes.

Between these unresolved storylines and sookie coming back only to make no promises of showing up again in the show, I think the revival is more of a setup than a conclusion.

20. Nao Akieda says:

I’d like to watch another “year” of it even if we have to wait a few years. See what happens to Rory and maybe Jess. I liked how we saw Emily Gilmore a lot in the 4 episodes, because she has such a presence, but less focus on Emily would be great now. Nostalgia is a powerful emotion.

21. I’d like it to come if they did something more productive with Rory – the fact asp waited 8 years to bring her back just to end it with her pregnant and all lost is pretty appalling. I like organic conclusions and not fixed endings. ASP Basically focused on an ending and went with it, even though it was a horrible way to conclude Rory’s story. I would want it back if they hadn’t committed to that storyline. I wanted to see Rory improve as a young woman finding her way. She was flighty, irresponsible and she had no respect for other people since she was involved with Logan. Why didnt they ever talk about how Rory and Logan ended up with that agreement?

They didn’t ruin Rory’s character per say – she was always flawed, selfish and immature in some ways but I really did want to see her have more success since she was a smart woman. It would’ve lifted the tone of the show if she wasn’t running around like a chicken without its head.

I think it’ll be interesting if they do another mini series because they’ll have the four generations of Gilmores which would be great. I’m all for more episodes since there’s a lot of material they could cover. It’ll never be the same show as the original run but itll still be nice to check in on these characters again.

22. Linda says:

I watched the four episodes once and that’s it. That whole town musical was a fiasco (as was the whole Life and Death Brigade thing in “Fall”) and should have been left out since it took too much screentime. I admit, I have never liked Logan (or Jess) (I’m Team Dean all the way) but the rival made me despise Logan even more and was actually rooting for Jess (since Dean moved on from Rory).

• tehgurl says:

Dean ….. was a cheating, controlling horn ball who needed to go away when he got married. Period. How THAT all went down was disgusting. I was so ashamed of Rory and the display of pure and classic brattiness; deciding who was her’s and what would happen, regardless of who she would hurt in the end. Dean himself, was borderline abusive and controlled Rory throughout the entire relationship. He was the LEAST of my favorite beaus, and was glad to see him go for good. But that’s just one girl’s opinion on that storyline. As far as The Life and Death Brigade, I think that was imperative in the revival. Not only was it fanfare and absolutely amazing and well put together, it shows us what is to come in a brand new series of Gilmore Girls. We have to see Logan letting go of worry once and for all. With the looming idea of “The Dynastic Plan”, as fans, we have to see that Logan is now in a place in his life where he needs to know get real about marrying somebody of his caliber. As we saw in the original series, The Gilmores were nowhere near as rich as the Huntzberges were, and Rory was extremely out of his League when it comes to that type of life and money and appearances. Now marrying some sort of French princess, we see that he needs to now let go of his fairytale relationship with Rory Gilmore. However, as they say goodbye to each other one last time with Colin and Finn and gang, we are reminded of just how rich and privileged these young men are and how Rory just does not fit in that whatsoever. But with the likely twist of Logan being the father of Rory’s baby, we can now see that the two of them will forever be joined by a child. I foresee Rory not telling Logan about the baby at all, staying in Stars Hollow, finishing her book and birthing the heir to the Huntsberger fortune. We see her go and speak with her father about how he felt about not being in her life and that is so telling of what Rory is deciding to do when this baby comes into the world; she is not going to tell Logan that he is a father. What I see happening, is her and Jess starting to date again, and her and him becoming close through the first season with his new child in tow. And just like Amy, I can see her building this relationship between the two of them, and just as things become beautiful, the season will end with us seeing Logan walking in the distance off of the plane into a cab (or an OOOOBER), to come and see Rory. And just like that the Logan situation continues……

• tehgurl says:

Sorry for the spelling and grammatical errors. I got 2 phone calls and a text message as I was completing my thought to this lol!!!! Of course all day, not a phone call or a text…… lol!!!! What do you think of this idea??

• ulli says:

Thats a really good analysis
          and very realistic perspective of what’s going to happen – and I like your story-line!!!!

23. tehgurl says:

Yeah that’s what’s been said for months now. It’s coming back. Guaranteed. Ain’t nobody stupid enough to think “NO”, when it earned them so many viewing eyes with the revival and a heaping mound of brand new fans, viewing it from start to finish (7 times now, for myself) and knowing the next story without even trying hard. I don’t want to spoil it for anyone but I good feeling about what the main story line will be right to the 1st episode of season 2 will look like. It’s not bloody hard for me to write in my own head, I can imagine AP has done so, herself. #waiting

• tehgurl says:

I hate talk to text. Please disregard my terrible grammar in my former comment. However,I’m sure most of you caught what I was trying to say. LOL. Here’s to the grand idea of a brand new series of episodes, of our favorite gang from the SH!!! #whereyouleadiwillfollow

24. tehgurl says:

This was my opinion in reply to someone else’s thoughts on Dean, and being #teamdean and also the idea of the scene in the revival with The Life and Death Brigade. What do you all think will come from the “Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride” evening? Does anyone else agree that that whole scene was needed in order to continue a new series, and maybe that’s why it existed at all (other than plain old fanfare and fun)? I know a lot of people disliked that entire thing and thought it was a waste of time, but don’t you agree that it needed to happen in order to have a new story? — MJ

Dean ….. was a cheating, controlling horn ball who needed to go away when he got married. Period. How THAT all went down was disgusting. I was so ashamed of Rory and the display of pure and classic brattiness; deciding who was her’s and what would happen, regardless of who she would hurt in the end. Dean himself, was borderline abusive and controlled Rory throughout the entire relationship. He was the LEAST of my favorite beaus, and I was glad to see him go for good. But that’s just one girl’s opinion on that old storyline. As far as The Life and Death Brigade scene, I think that was imperative in the revival. Not only was it fanfare and absolutely amazing and well put together, it shows us what is to come in a brand new series of Gilmore Girls. We have to see Logan “letting go” of Rory once and for all. With the looming idea of, “The Dynastic Plan”, as fans, we have to see that Logan is now in a place in his life where he needs to now get real about marrying somebody of his caliber. As we saw in the original series, The Gilmores were nowhere near as rich as the Huntzberges were, and Rory was extremely out of his league when it came to that type of life and money and appearances. Now, marrying some sort of French princess, we see that he is about to let go of his “fairytale” relationship with Rory Gilmore (Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride, and all it’s childhood fun that Rory always was for him). However, as they say goodbye to each other one last time with Colin and Finn and the gang, we are reminded of just how rich and privileged these young men are and how Rory just does not fit in that whatsoever. However, with the likely twist of Logan possibly being the father of Rory’s baby, we can now see that the two of them will forever be joined by a child. I foresee Rory not telling Logan about the baby at all, staying in Stars Hollow, finishing her book, and birthing the heir to the Huntsberger fortune. We see her go and speak with her father at the end of the revival, about how her father felt about not being in Rory’s life, and that is SO telling of what Rory is deciding to do, when this baby comes into the world; she is not going to tell Logan that he is a father. What I see happening, is her and Jess becoming friends again, and her and he becoming close through the first season, with this new child in tow. And just like Amy is so good at doing, I can see her building this relationship between the two of them up into romance again, and just as things become beautiful, the season will end with the fans seeing Logan walking in from the distance, off of a private plane, into a cab (or an OOOOOOBER, haha), to come and see Rory, because he just can’t be without her. And just like that the Logan situation continues… and now, he is going to find out he is a father… And we once again get to decide, #teamjess or #teamlogan!!!!????

25. Rob J. says:

Appropos of nothing from the article, I just have to say that ever since I was humming the Beatles’ “Glass Onion” this morning and made the following free-association Gilmore paraphrase from it, I can’t get the following idea out of my head:
    “Here’s another clue for you all — the Wookie was Paul.”
    Yep, I think that Rory slept with Paul. The guy she keeps forgetting she was dating at the time. And thus, he’s the father of her baby.

26. Olivia says:

People either loved it or hated it. I hated it. There were so many ways for her to get to those last four words without character assasination. I mean come on. The fact the Luke and L’or still weren’t married was ridiculous. They are still keeping parts of their lives seperate? Money is separated? Lor goes on some trip comes back and all of the sudden it’s time for them to get married? The last 9 years didn’t offer clarity but this did? I get she wanted to show a wedding but it should have been a flashback. They should have different problems, her dad dying would have been a perfect reason for struggle and tension when her dad never approved of Luke. It was poorly written. It was also incredibly anticlimactic with the relationships. The Rory and Logan thing was absurd. Amy bitched about people not focusing on the boys and then did this? Again, Richard died, Rory could have seriously been struggling with that and Logan could have come in as a support system, and then things happened. Rory could have been just as lost due to the death without all of this bs. ASP seemed to just want to say fuck you to the 7th season and offered no explanation as to how Rory got to where she was in her relationship or career, politics were her calling and we were in the middle of the craziest run. People are also kidding themselves if they don’t think Rory is going to end up with Logan at this point. If you are putting that much effort into spending time with your engaged ex college boyfriend who lives 3000 miles away, it’s never going to end. Baby basically just gives them no more excuses. Cop out on Amy’s part with the way she handled that whole situation.

• Janice Christensen says:

I just KNEW the whole 4 seasons were dreams. Emily being perfectly nice, everyone getting their wish, I couldn’t believe the way it ended. I ate up the entire 7 seasons and I had to spit the final gathering out.