RuPaul's Drag Race Recap

RuPaul's Drag Race Recap: Which 'Princess' Got Royally Screwed?

Friday’s episode of RuPaul’s Drag Race tasked each contestant with creating a fairytale persona, complete with a rich backstory and a sassy sidekick. And by the end of the night, one queen reached her unhappily-ever-after.

Following last week’s installment — during which drag newbie Valentina was crowned the winner, while Jaymes “Fear of Commitment” Mansfield was sent packing — the queens seemed to have gained a better sense of where they rank in the competition. Valentina, for example, admitted that winning last week’s challenge added “a lot of pressure” moving forward, and Trinity declared, “I’m not here to play games. The next challenge is mine.”

And then there was Kimora Blac, whose new strategy was apparently owning her shortcomings. After experiencing a bit of a linguistic hiccup (“What’s an adjective?”), the in-danger contestant practically bragged about her inability to sew. (“Would Kim K sew her own outfits?” she asked at one point. “No! I don’t work in a sweatshop. This is not what I signed up for.”)

Following a glorious princess pageant — during which the phrase “chocolate starfish” was uttered more often than I anticipated — Trinity Taylor (aka “Princess Aquapussy”) was crowned this week’s winner.

After much deliberation, Ru announced that Kimora was up for elimination, which was hardly a surprise given the way things unfolded earlier in the episode. But rather than pitting her against Farrah — the other obvious choice, given that her costume was, as Toddrick Hall pointed out, just a piece of fabric wrapped around her waist — Ru announced that Kimora would be lip sync battling… Aja! (The other queens were visibly shook, and appropriately so.)

Fortunately for Aja, the Brooklyn native was able to effortlessly out-perform her opponent, sealing Kimora’s fate as the second queen to be eliminated in Season 9.

We’ll post our full Q&A with Kimora at 10/9c, but for now, let’s talk: Was she the right one to go? Should Farrah have lip synced in Aja’s place? And who’s your new No. 1? Cast your vote below, then drop a comment with all of your thoughts.

1. Joey says:

I can’t say enough how glad I am to see the poor man’s Gia Gunn is gone. While I’m not a fan of Aja’s makeup (or outfits, for that matter), I do like her personality and she freaking assassinated Kimora in that lip sync.

2. Gilded Lady says:

Aja’s outfit was a trainwreck and her character made no sense. Farrah’s outfit you could at least tell what was going on.

In that regard, I don’t mind that Aja had to lipsync. Plus, it also guaranteed Kimora’s elimination. Farrah is so weak that Kimora could have out lasted her and you could tell that Ru was just done with Kimora.

Besides, now that Kimora is gone, Farrah is next up as the waste of space that needs to go and she’ll go soon enough.

3. fernando933 says:

So glad Farrah was saved, she needs to come back next week with with a win

4. Van says:

Aja can go next

5. steven patterson says:

Kimora has a pissy and entitled attitude. It is a competition and she was just lazy from the start. Maybe this experience will teach her some manners and humility.

• Brianne says:

Yes yes yes, exactly what I was thinking. It’s almost as if she thought her looks would let her sail right through the competition so she didn’t even make an effort. Glad to see her gone, at times it seemed like she thought she was too good for the whole thing.

• Ben says:

The untucked of this episode kinda redeem her attitude. Kimora left the show with class.

6. Becca says:

Kimora’s lip sync was pathetic! She didn’t know most of the words. Considering how high concept Aja is as a queen, it was kind of surprising how much she missed the mark on this. I’m shocked at how well Valentina is doing. She obviously was meant to do this and is killing the other queens. I think it’s a battle between Valentina and Nina this season. Also how do you do a recap and not mention the extremely serious and heartfelt discussion of pulse that happened in the workroom?

7. Matthew Lawler says:

I’m glad Kimora was eliminated I did not see you why everyone kept calling her pretty she had no talent I’ll she did was whine and complain and make bitchy comments that were not good spirited or funny they were just mean you don’t have to be a bitch to be a drag superstar my favorite part of this episode was when everybody actually broke down and was being real human beings talking about the pulse tragedy

8. Randy says:

Ru put her against Aja because she knew Kimora couldnt hold a candle to her. A lipsync against Ferrah Moan would have been boring and she would have had to send both home. Ferrah is comin soon because so far she has nothing to offer.

9. Aeol says:

I have such mixed feelings about Farrah. She reminds me physically of Derrick Berry, who I did not like at all, and complains a lot, but his non-drag personality kinda won me over here. Not sure how. Just did. And at least her princess concept kinda made sense, unlike Aja’s.

God I love Valentina. Sorry queens, I’m all in. I’m over the “10 months doing drag” thing. When she ceases to slay nearly every other queen with her abilities, then I may wonder.

I warmed up to Trinity here too. She’s a competitor, I can respect that. But she’s got skills, she can trust that instead of worrying about everyone else. She could learn from Valentina in that respect.

Aja’s makeup is appalling. There’s no excuse. I’m embarrassed for her. But goodness gracious, she slayed the slay out of that lip sync. Even my 3 year old’s jaw dropped.

10. Yoko says:

You sorta saw Kimora fate coming. She didn’t interact well with her banana monkey and she was just out lip-synced by Aja. It’s a competition so you have to give it your 100% and Kimora didn’t.