Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Promotes Pair Ahead of Season 3

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend basically just wrote a “Dear Joshua Felix Chan” letter to two of its sometime cast members.

The CW musical series has promoted David Hull (who plays White Josh) and Scott Michael Foster (who plays Nathaniel) to series regular status ahead of the upcoming Season 3.

The news was announced at a For Your Consideration event for the series Wednesday evening.

Hull first appeared as one of Josh Chan’s friends in the comedy’s second episode; his character eventually developed a relationship with Darryl. Foster joined the cast in Season 2 as the elitist new owner of the law firm where Rachel Bloom’s Rebecca works.

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend was renewed for Season 3 in January.

1. Suso says:

White Josh is the BEST.

• Wordsmith says:

He’s really the one character on the show who’s not a lunatic, a garbage person, or both. I say that with great affection for the show and its cast, but it’s true…

2. Pedro says:

I can’t believe the White Rich douchebag will be endgame when they spent season 2 tearing the Asian leading man down with out of the character writing. What’s next? An #alllivesmatter musical number?

On the other hand, and to be fair, David Hull doesn’t get enough praise for his performance and the character is really well-written and not stereotypical.

So many mixed feelings.

• Steven says:

The whole point of the show is Rebecca idolized Josh and ignored all his flaws. This season was all about Rebecca realizing that Josh isn’t perfect and her desperately trying to hold onto that vision of him. And yes he happens to be Asian, but that isn’t what his character is about and it didn’t play a role in the storyline.

• Pedro says:

Basically, Asian = wrong / White = wright? I thought the whole point was man I love -= not stereotypical jerk / other guy = not Mr. Perfect / Maybe an alcoholic… But now I see: white, rich, preppy saviour saves you from terrible Asian man.

• Elle says:

Nathaniel didn’t “save” Rebecca from Josh. He is still arrogant, sure he helped bring her dad to her wedding but that wasn’t in an attempt to take her away and be her white knight. He was trying to be a friend (as shown in the finale where he bragged about doing something good). In what way did they bring Josh’s character down this season? ^Steven is right, she idolized Josh in the first season so she couldn’t see his flaws, which came out as they were dating and she saw who he was more personally (since they never really dated) this season. Josh had a right to be suspicious of Rebecca confessing her moving from NYC to West Covina for him and taking her pregnancy/rushing into things. Also, just because Scott Michael Foster is now a regular doesn’t mean Nathaniel and Josh are endgame. Rachel and Aline have a plan to how each season will be and they envisioned them to finish season 2 as Rebecca hating Josh *who happens to be Asian*, not because he is Asian.

• abz says:

You’re bringing in race here when it’s not even an issue. Josh is awful. And over time Rebecca began to notice all of his flaws and how much she built him up in her mind into this perfect person to be in a relationship with. Rebecca has mental health issues and so she went for so long worshipping him and fantasizing about a relationship with him that she was willing to ignore everything that was wrong with him. It has nothing to do with him being Asian. Rebecca couldn’t care less about that. She was madly in love with him.

And besides, did you really believe that a relationship with Josh would have been the endgame? The whole thing started on a lie with her stalking him and being obsessed with him and moving across the country to be near him even though she hadn’t seen him in over a decade. There’s nothing healthy about that.
          I personally think her endgame should be either with Greg (one of my favorite characters). And if that isn’t possible than she should be on her own for a while and work through her mental health issues.

• julio says:

The first season also had a white guy as her love interest so whats the problem now. And also hardly anyone likes josh and you were never supposed to root for josh and rebecca because shes obsessed with him not in love. And also how do you know nathaniel is endgame. She needs to deal with her issues first.

• Kris says:

Josh has always been like that. I’ve never rooted for him and Rebecca ever since the show started. He always treats Rebecca like crap. They didn’t change him in S2.

And what are you talking about with your Asian = Wrong, White = Right? You are taking things too personally. This is crazy, And this is coming from someone who’s Asian…

• Pedro says:

Josh was the nicest guy in season one. They wrote him completely out of character in season 2 in order to introduce a White Saviour.

• MissM says:

If you’ve been paying attention, it is unlikely that either guy will be ‘endgame’. The point of the series is that the fantasy ideal of finding happiness through “true love” is bull, and damaging to those who put too much faith in it. Rebecca’s therapist has been pushing her to stop trying to rely on “love” and instead try to figure out how she can be happy with herself. If she ends up with either guy I will be disappointed in this show.

• kate says:

I don’t think there is an endgame, I think he is probably just the enabling influence that Paula usually is in the destroy Josh Chan mission.

• Liz says:

No way. Greg is endgame. ‘la la la’… still in denial…

3. Lori says:

I like Nathaniel, can’t wait for season 3.

4. Juan says:

Love them both! This show is so weird and funny.

5. RichieS says:

The kid from Greek that this show should have cast was that geek Rusty, not Scott Michael Foster’s Cappy. Rusty would fit like a glove with the rest of Josh Chan’s nerd herd.

6. abz says:

Love White Josh, but I don’t really care for Nathaniel. I don’t think the show will go beyond next season so I really hope he isn’t endgame.
    I need to see Greg/Santino Fontana on the show again. Please Rebecca Bloom/CW make this happen.

• Pedro says:

Here for White Josh. Not here for White Rich Fratboy is Prince Charming, Asian Dude not worth it.

• ninergrl6 says:

The show was pitched as a 4-season series, so I hope it gets to the end of the creators’ original vision.

• abz says:

I hope so too. But with its ratings declining and being moved to Fridays and Santino Fontana leaving, I was happy but still shocked it even got renewed for a third season. We’ll see, I hope it’ll continue. It’s such a fun show.

7. aleesavage says:

Yassss! I love Scott Michael Foster and white Josh!

8. Big Cheddar says:

Ok… what does that mean, though? They promoted both Heather and Valencia to series regulars, but they weren’t on every week.

9. Elle says:

I’m excited for this because I love how both actors interact with Darryl. Looking forward to season 3.

10. Dannie C says:

Awesome

11. Kepler says:

This is great! I love White Josh and Nathaniel. Personally I think Nathaniel would be a good endgame for her (because he has issues, not unlike her). It would be good for her to see her own greatness by letting her rub off an Nathaniel. But regardless, the show isn’t about Rebecca’s endgame love interest, its about Rebecca finding happiness, and that’s what I ship most anyway. And White Josh better not ever hurt Darryl because that would break my heart.

12. ninergrl6 says:

Happy about both of these!

13. kate says:

I think they have to go hand in hand as Nathaniel likely will be all in on the Craft inspired mission the ladies are on next season and you kind of need the highly more reasonable person of White Josh to balance that one out and give Daryl some sort of ally when he tries to reason with them or at least have someone to be able to explain to Josh and Hector why Rebecca is not just hurt, she is angry.

14. Alec says:

I love White Josh

15. Jules says:

Good news, bad news… White Josh is great and I’m happy to hear we will see more of him. But more of the mean boss? No thanks.

16. Kayte CookWatts says:

When Nathaniel. crapped his pants at work, I cried I was laughing so hard. The character isn’t that interesting, but that actor is hilarious.