Exclusive

A Series of Unfortunate Events Renewal Extended Through Season 3 at Netflix

Lemony Snicket is not going to be happy about this.

Less than a month after Netflix announced a Season 2 pickup for A Series of Unfortunate Events, TVLine has learned exclusively that the streamer has quietly renewed the dark comedy for a third season. (A Netflix spokesperson declined to comment.)

Last month, Netflix broke the Season 2 renewal news on social media via a letter from “author” Lemony Snicket. “It has come to my attention that, despite my repeated warnings, you have viewed the Netflix adaptation of my distressing work, collectively known as A Series of Unfortunate Events,” the note read. “To my horror, Netflix has been encouraged by this, and funneled their ill-gotten gains toward a second season of this unhappy and unnerving series… I hope you’re happy. Because you won’t be, ever again.”

As several readers pointed out in the comments, the two-season pickup presumably ensures that the TV adaptation will carry through to the end of the book series.

Season 1 of Unfortunate Events —  which stars Neil Patrick Harris as Count Olaf  — dropped in January.

1. beatlechicksteph says:

Yes!! This means it’s guaranteed they’ll be able to make it through all 13 books. Especially if they make season 3 slightly longer if they continue the 2 episodes per book, 4 books per season, format.

2. Ted says:

Excellent news! Just started watching Season 1 and love the “two episodes per book” format. This will carry the show through the end of the series.

3. T.W.S.S. says:

I’ll watch it all after season three drops.

4. Brian says:

I was surprised they didn’t just announce this originally. It would be stupid to make it to book 8 or 9 then cancel the series.

• kitsunesaru says:

Stupid maybe, but if it wasn’t doing well/making money they would cancel. That’s business for ya. Thankfully it seems to be doing well!

• Maaz Kalim says:

I second that! Business=Money {and vice-versa}.

They obviously won’t keep paying checks to the studio[s] without checking whether there’s any positive cashflow from the project or not.

5. CC says:

Awesome! My family loves this show. NPH is a great Count Olaf!

6. lrdslvrhnd says:

I assume 8 eps/4 books for S2 and 10-11 eps/5 books for S3 (with the final book possibly getting an extra ep). Could also go 10/5 & 10/4, with the final two books each getting 3 eps, IIRC there was a lot going on in those.

7. ScottJ says:

One of the interviews online weeks before either announcement said it would be a 10 episode Season 2, and a 8 episode Season 3. Everything had to be done fast before the various children grew too much.

8. Oh, I am SOOOOO unhappy… NOT! I LOVE this series! It’s genuinely addictive, so this is great news, at least to me. Too bad, Mr. Lemony Snicket. You’re STUCK with us viewers!

9. Anne says:

Oh fantastic!!! I didn’t read the books, but I really enjoyed season 1

10. tvloverSA says:

Not sold on this it’s slow for even Netflix ! With way better shows on Netflix why keep this garbage for so long? The cast is great but it just doesn’t seem to make sense.

11. What? I hate this show! So that means once again I have to pay for another show I hate, just because other people like it! Why I continue to have to wait for Jessica Jones 2nd season to finally come!

• Maaz Kalim says:

What the […] it has to do with ‘Marvel®’s Jessica Jones™’ getting “delayed”? Netflix® delaying paychecks to ABC®??

12. Stacy Cobb says:

My kids and I loved that show! So glad it’s coming back!!