the voice recap knockout rounds chris blue

Voice Knockouts Recap: Hey, Watch It!

Starting its Season 12 Knockout Rounds Monday, The Voice threw a curveball at its contestants, allowing the pairs who’d be competing with one another to keep their spots to watch each other rehearse. Mind you, I’m not sure how big a curveball that really was since they’d all certainly gotten to see what their opponent-of-the-week was up to/capable of during the Battle Rounds. And could it possibly have been any more awkward than sitting on stage and idly observing as your rival sang their ass off in hopes of sending you packing? Anyway, the twist did manage to rattle a coupla vocalists. But did it throw them off their game so much that they went down for the count? Read on.

Team Alicia: Chris Blue singing “Superstition” defeated Quizz Swanigan singing “Chains” (Quizz stolen by Gwen) | Though Chris paid lip service to Quizz’s talent making him nervous in rehearsals, his voice fit the Stevie Wonder classic like a pair of shades. And good God, does that guy have stage presence! I wasn’t nuts about Alicia’s “modern” breakdown mid-song, but still, he was just an impossible act to follow. When Quizz nonetheless had to perform after him, he exhibited great charisma and a strong, promising voice. Thing was, Chris’ voice was already a promise kept.

Team Adam: Hanna Eyre singing “Bleeding Love” defeated Autumn Turner singing “Respect” | In rehearsals, young Hanna came off a bit more anxious about her competition than did girl-group veteran Autumn (who was complimentary but not exactly thrown). On stage, while she’s no Aretha — no one is — Autumn demanded R-E-S-P-E-C-T with a gutsiness that I’d give a B (maybe a B-M-I-N-U-S — she’s no Felicia Temple, either). Then Hanna took her turn, singing with at times impressive clarity, at times… er, not. Between her shakiness and lack of stage presence — adorable doesn’t count as stage presence, does it? — she seemed a shoo-in to be sent packing and yet wasn’t.

the voice knockout rounds hunter plake johnny gatesTeam Gwen: Hunter Plake singing “I Want to Know What Love Is” defeated Johnny Gates singing “Million Reasons” | Even though rewriting hits is one of the coach’s pet peeves, Gwen couldn’t resist Hunter’s modernization of the Foreigner smash in rehearsals — with good reason: It was pretty awesome. On stage, Hunter knocked it out of the park, his haunting rendition largely lacking the cheese that’s ordinarily served with the original. In his turn in the spotlight, Johnny started off as mumbly as Bob Dylan, but was soaring by the time he reached the chorus, making this Knockout a real fight, albeit one he was destined to lose. The combo platter of Hunter’s emotion-packed voice and his inventiveness overcame even Gwen’s dislike of revamped classics.

Team Blake: Casi Joy singing “My Church” defeated Felicia Temple singing “My Heart Will Go On” | Listening to Casi rehearse, Felicia suggested that she was a pro at “how to give people a heart attack.” But maybe the lady doth protest too much — she packed enough power into her Celine Dion cover to turn an iceberg into a Slushee. On stage, Casi attacked the Maren Morris hit she was covering with a polished growl that was the equivalent of a mic drop. She was every inch, every note, a star. Up second, Felicia… uh-oh. My beloved Felicia got off to a wobbly start. She recovered on the big notes, especially her dazzling, long last one. But by then, it was too late. Casi had nailed it; Felicia, at best had stapled it.

Team Adam: Josh West singing “Carry On Wayward Son” defeated Johnny Hayes singing “Statesboro Blues” | In rehearsals, Josh was wisely intimidated by Johnny’s authentically raspy voice — some things, even amazing rock hair just can’t beat. During their Knockout, Johnny sounded so at home spitting gravel on the Allman Brothers Band hit that he might as well have had his mail forwarded there. (And that last note… da-amn!) In Josh’s turn, he sounded — as he did, I recall, during his Blind Audition — more theatrical than rock. He put a lot of power behind every note, sure — and delivered a memorable kick — but overall came off more Rock of Ages than rock-‘n’-roll. So you can imagine how loudly I yelled “What?!?” when Adam dismissed Johnny instead. I repeat: What?!?

the voice recap knockout rounds lilli passeroTeam Alicia: Ashley Levin singing “Fancy” defeated Lilli Passero singing “Tears Dry on Their Own” (Lilli stolen by Adam) | In rehearsals, Ashley slayed as soon as she connected with the emotion of the Reba hit; Lilli got what Alicia called “a million percent” better once she drunked up the Amy Winehouse classic. On stage, Ashley was fine, but (sorry) mostly just fine, until toward the end of her number. When she decided that it was time to go for broke, she lost control of her vocal and sounded like she had pulled a muscle. By contrast, Lilli looked and sounded entirely in her element — as Blake pointed out, like she was doing what she was born to. Her performance was jazzy and sultry, and went down as smoothly as a second glass of vino. So again, I found myself yelling, “What?!?” and even, “WTF?!?” when Alicia chose Ashley over Lilli, leaving the singer who’s probably my fave (along with Chris Blue) free for Blake and Adam to fight over.

OK, your turn. Who did you think gave the night’s best and worst performances? Have you singled out a Season 12 winner? Hit the comments.

1. Gorgonzola Matrix says:

So much bad taste and poor judgement. I now accept that the coaches don’t actually pick their pairings and then the eventual winners. Or at least thats what i need to tell myself.

2. Evan says:

Chris was the only pick I agreed with tonight and I’m happy to see Lilli get rightfully stolen. As for every other battle, I am baffled by the winners tonight. This was a particularly bad night for egregious errors.

• Annie says:

Oh my gosh, me too! I was 1 for 6 in this round, with Chris being the only one I got right. And I can’t believe Johnny Hays didn’t get stolen.

• loisbea says:

Weird choices. Chris Blue better win or the world is cockeyed. ….But I guess it has been and will be, so you never know.

• JMark (formerly JM) says:

I’m in complete agreement with you. I don’t know what these judges were thinking. And what a waste of a steal on Quizz.

3. Andres says:

Soooooo many confusing decisions tonight. First I don’t think think Quizz should have been stolen. He has charisma on stage but I feel as if his voice needs to mature before he goes live. Autum, both Johnnys or Felica would have been a better steal in my opinion.
    Casi, Chris and Lilli where the best tonight with Chris being the absolute best.

• Andres says:

Hunter was amazing as well. He has such a lovely tone to his voice.

• Patrick Star says:

Hunter and Chris blew my mind. They feel music deeply and don’t approach songs as karaoke

• Derik Cowan says:

Hunter won the night for me on the artistry front. Clearly he learned a lot from having to do Robyn in the Battle Rounds. Still not going to go as far as I’d like him to, but that’s TV talent shows for you…

• Voice Fan says:

I think Hunter was amazing and he was singing one of my favorite songs but I was surprised that Gwen put him against Johnny Gates and let Johnny go..

• Derik Cowan says:

Isn’t Quizz 15? Could he choose a more inappropriate song than Chains, a song which Nick Jonas has actively talked about performing literally chained to a wall in an NYC club? Oh wait, maybe next week he could perform Sheena Easton’s Sugar Walls. Or Rihanna’s S&M. Or Lady Gaga’s Do What You Want With My Body. He can be the next Terri Nunn.

• Voice Fan says:

Quizz is 13. I was surprised Alicia put him against Chris Blue. I thought both were her favorites. I knew Chris was going to win over Quizz and I am not surprised Gwen stole him being a mother of four boys..

• loisbea says:

I love Quizz. I’m glad he was stolen.

• Ricky Gaga says:

Agree a million percent

4. Dawn says:

Grrrrrr Adam you made a huge mistake. Johnny was hands down the winner of that knockout. Wanted to tune out when you didn’t pick him.

5. Barry says:

Tonight was slightly disappointing for me, and the decisions somewhat cuestionables. Lilli won that battle, I like Ashley but there’s no way Lilli lost that, even if it wasn’t her best. I hate that my favorite goes to team Adam, but I think that this result is the best thing that could have happened to her. I hated Chris’ songchoice, while he sang the heck out of that song, I feel that he played it safe tonight, I was not completly sold on him. The same with Hunter, I loved his performance and what he did with that song, I just wish he would’ve picked a better one. I’m sad to see Felicia gone and Quizz undeservingly move on again over her, but she sealed her fate with that song choice :(. Oh well… Anyway, I’m happy to see Hunter emerging as a front-runner, that guy is so good and so underrated. Still Lilli is my gem.

• Voice Fan says:

I love Lilli but I hated that song. I hate Fancy but I love Ashley’s rendition of the song. I think Alicia chose Ashley because she respects country soul because it is so close to what she sings. I think Lilli is better off on Adam’s team.

• Smokey says:

I was a bit taken-back by that song choice for Lilli as well, but she did ok with the expression of it. However, if she doesn’t get back to some nice ballads in the lives, I don’t think she will survive deep into the lives as I had hoped. What she was doing tonight, doesn’t give her a strong, recognizable lane to run in. Will be interesting to see what Adam can do with her strengths as a singer.

• Barry says:

I respect the fact that she picked a lesser known Winehouse song, And she sang extremly well. The problem is that the song didn’t give her much to show her range and the different textures of her voice, also there was a certain coolness to ver delivery that kept me from reeeeally feel it. I still feel she was in the top 2 or 3 of the night easly. She’s Adam’s only chance at winning and, love him or hate him, he has an ear for songs that generaly do well on ITunes. So I feel that he’s gonna do right by her.

• loisbea says:

For both Ashley and Lilli, I think the diction was a bit off. I didn’t like Lilli’s song. There are so many fine songs. That really isn’t one of the best. I don’t think Ashley nailed Fancy. She should have changed it up a bit, I think, slow it down, and brought more depth to it. I think Ashley may have a better instrument,but I like Lilli better anyway.

6. OhMy says:

I think we have a different definition of “stage presence.” He mugs for the camera like a kid, and it’s hard to look past that, since his voice is suspect. Now his opponent was worse, so I guess I would have picked him. But why he is even on the show in the first place is a mystery.

• Kimmy Moores says:

And your definition, thankfully, is the unpopular one.
      Chris has stage presence for decades.

• OhMy says:

Well, perhaps. But I suspect when the Voice wraps for the season we will never hear from him again. To be fair that’s true for even the good ones. Just like in politics, our bar is now set so low that you rush defend someone you wouldn’t cross the street to see in a club.

• PrincessO says:

Actually, I just saw Blake and 2 of his team members in concert last month. Raelynn and Sundance. He is known for supporting his friends (Cassadee Pope) long after the show. He “tweets” about their new records and congratulates them on big happenings in their lives. You would have to follow them to see it happening though. Just saying that not everything may be as you see it.

• JMark (formerly JM) says:

And this is the reason why I don’t blame anyone for choosing to be on Blake’s team.

• JMark (formerly JM) says:

Many people love Chris and would most definitely see him in a club, myself included.

• Kimmy Moores says:

Who’s bar? Please don’t speak on behalf of what I like or ever like. I keep up with a number of alums that I liked throughout the season and have a lot of their music in rotation on my own playlists.
          The bar may be low for you, but I frankly I don’t give much of anything about your sentiments beyond this comment.

• OhMy says:

That’s fine. But I think you may be thinking of this as a reality show more than a singing competition.

7. scott says:

I don’t get it. The better contestants for the most part went home. Most notably, Hunter over Johnny and Casi over Felicia WTF! I know, don’t cover Celine, but she actually slayed and proved she had better vocal capacity than Casi. And Joshua with Carry On Wayward Son….just no! You are not a rocker! Last but not least….Quizz…why? This show is obviously producer driven. We would not see these results if it was in the hands of the fans from the get go.

• PrincessO says:

I disagree. Casi NAILED it! And, so did Felicia! The problem I saw with Felicia is I would never download and listen to her sing that song again whereas Casi, I would. I also thought Johnny was awesome, but Hunter was extreme, in a good way. So, it always amazes me to hear people’s opinions as if it is truth. Because music has so many genres and people hear and feel different things, it will never be a perfect choice for everybody. As good as Jordan Smith is, I would never buy his music. Not my personal taste. That said, he deserved to win his season. I do agree with Quizz. I would have liked to have seen Felicia stolen over him. Also, I agree with you about Joshua. I also like Johnny better. Bummer….

8. kevstar69 says:

#1 Dumb move by Autumn Turner to choose Respect. If you’re going to do a legend’s song, as least don’t pick a song less associated with that artist.
    Hana saved herself with those final notes of hers.

9. John Anthony says:

Only one professional sang tonight and only one will be heard from when the Voice is over! Casi Joy !

10. Melaniem says:

How the hell did Josh get chosen over Johnny Hays? I have liked Josh’s other performances but Johnny’s voice and stage presence blew him away.

11. Smokey says:

Note the average age, collectively, of all those who “won” or were “saved” tonight, as compared to those who were dismissed to go home.

12. fatalsin says:

Johnny was clearly better than Josh… Adam made a mistake!

13. Smokey says:

Who the coaches picked as their winners, did not really surprise me much, because it’s not all about the best singer of the 2, but more about who the coaches think they might be able to get some traction with as the lives start, or who they prefer trying to “develop” or just prefer to work with.. …………………………………………………………………….

That doesn’t mean they are right, its all just a guess for them yet. But you can’t have 3 or 4 throwback style rockers, 3 or 4 ladies chasing Diva songs, 4 or 5 guys chasing R&B legends and see them all splitting votes and crashing altogether in one swoop. …………………………….

Was a little surprised to see Alicia abandon Lilli, after she woo’d her at the audition, but she wants to toy with the Country venue with Ashley Levin or fiddle with some genre boundaries with her and see if she can make her a contender.

14. gospotlights says:

Some mind numbing decisions tonight. As for Casi’s win, I can understand that on a couple of levels. For one thing, she sang fine and was confident onstage. You could argue that one going either way depending on your musical preference. And that brings us to… If you’re on Blake’s team and have the option of picking your own song, pick a country song. If all else is equal, or even within the window of even, he’ll go with the country artist. It’s just who he is.

But the mind numbing picks were from Adam and Alecia. How did Josh’s warbling win that battle? And how did Lili not win? Sometimes you can understand some of these picks because the judge picks someone who was decently good knowing another judge is likely to steal/save the loser who might’ve been better (or that another judge really likes). So it’s a win for both contestants even if the initial judge is giving away the better talent.
    But I didn’t see that in either case tonight.

I don’t see producer intervention either. What producer would make these picks and for what reason?
    I could see the Quizz save being producer influenced.

The only other possibility I see is something you learn from being on the other side of the microphone. A live performance, particularly a high energy one, masks some things you don’t notice until you listen to it later. It even happens to a lesser degree at home watching a live performance on television. You rewind the DVR or rewatch the show some time later and you start noticing some flaws in that great ‘flawless’ performance you thought you saw.
    My guess is the judges aren’t immune to this either. If they were making their decisions for tonight to start tomorrow’s show, after watching the performance on replays, then I think their decisions might line up more with popular opinion. IOW, there’s no way Josh should be a winner. But making them in real time, live, without the benefit of a 2nd listen in a nice quiet room leads to questionable decisions sometimes.

You also have the wasted save and then later when no saves are left, you have performers deserving of a save sent home.

I wish the show would introduce a producer save of some sort to make sure these kind of mistakes are rectified heading into the live shows. Obviously, you can’t fix every mistake, but I’d be OK with the producer having 4 saves that could only be used after all the performances.

But that all said, the way the show does this next live round also leads to some head scratchers. I think it just needs tweaked, not a producer save at that point.

15. Troll says:

R&B itunes #16 Superstition (The Voice Performance)
    Artist: Chris Blue

POP itunes —- #15 I Want To Know What Love Is (The Voice Performance)
    Artist: Hunter Plake

#37 Dancing On My Own (The Voice Performance)
    Artist: Hunter Plake & Jack Cassidy
    —————————————————————————–
    ROCK itunes #31 Carry On Wayward Son (The Voice Performance)
    Artist: Josh West

Don’t see any action yet for any of the others and their songs.

16. Marvelous says:

I was disappointed for Johnny Hayes and Felicia Keys to leave the show! But I don’t know what y’all are talking about, I think that Hunter is a star ⭐️. And it looks like iTunes Charts agrees.

17. Ricky Gaga says:

Chris n Lilli are the best act tonight, i was shocked Alicia picked Ashley over lIlli, is she deaf???? First, she let go Felicia at the battle. Now she let go Lilli in the Knock Out. Alicia need to leave for next season. Bring back Queen of the Voice Xtina.

• CharlieSays says:

Alicia wants to coach the contestants to help them reach their potential- it’s not all about winning for her. She let Hunter and Lilli go because she knew they would be stolen. She wants all of them to make it to the end, but she wants to give the other artists a chance on the show. I also think she wanted to steal back Hunter, and that’s why she recommended Gwen to pick Johnny.

18. Gailer says:

I think Johnny was let go because he’s more a performer and this is the Voice, even though I agree with Charlie that Josh was more rock of ages.

19. Wobegon says:

So far only one grabbing my attention as unique and ready to make a record is Hunter but too bad Alicia let him go so early since Gwen will do her best to give him bad song choices and no real mentoring except for his outward appearance. He should have gone with Adam but now he’s on his own to keep this going for himself. Good luck Hunter…you’ll need it now.

20. Sandy says:

Josh West over Johnny Hayes???? are you flipping kidding me! I’ve lost all respect for Adam and basically for the rest of the coaches… How could they NOT steal Johnny?? Chris was the best though, and I’m guessing he will win this competition. Hunter was also very good!

21. Lyn Jensen says:

There were at least five bad coaching decisions Monday, making this season much less interesting.

22. Jennifer says:

Seriously??? What is Adam thinking? Jonny was my number ONE favorite!! Now he’s gone?! IT WAS NOT EVEN CLOSE. UGH!! Sorry but a teenage kid that only flips his hair constantly is annoying, not impressive. Totally disappointed. :(