Big Little Lies Season 2

Big Little Lies Boss Dashes Season 2 Hopes: 'There Is No Way'

One of Big Little Lies‘ chief architects just dropped a truth bomb on a potential Season 2.

In an interview with Vulture, exec producer/director Jean-Marc Vallée maintained in no uncertain terms that the series will not continue beyond Sunday’s finale (at least not on his watch).

“No, no, this is the perfect ending,” he insisted. “There is no way; there’s no reason to make a Season 2. That was meant to be a one-time deal, and it’s finishing in a way where it’s for the audience to imagine what can happen. If we do a season two, we’ll break that beautiful thing and spoil it.”

Big Little Lies star Nicole Kidman remains far more open to the idea of extending the franchise in some form, telling TVLine that a potential Season 2 would need to begin with author Liane Moriarty (whose novel spawned the series) and David E. Kelley, who adapted the book for the small screen. “I think if there was something compelling and extraordinary that they could come up with, then would we want to go and embody these women again? That would be a beautiful prospect,” she says.

Vallée conceded that he would “love to work” with Kidman and Reese Witherspoon “and all these women again, but not to make a Season 2.”

What do you think? Should HBO quit while its ahead, or should the cabler move heaven and earth to keep this franchise going?

1. Brian says:

As much as I want a second season, I get what he’s saying.

2. Gina says:

As much as I absolutely loved this series, I’m glad they won’t/can’t continue it. It was perfect. A second season likely wouldn’t have been as good. I doubt they would be able to get the same actresses. I’m sad it’s over, but I’m so so happy that it happened.

• Fabrizia says:

None of the actresses are in a position to refuse to return if offered, especially the older ones. Witherspoon has found a way throught her production company to create roles for herself and other prestigious actresses that have plenty to offer in talent but are no longer marketable as sexy kittens and are no longer in their 20es so big Hollywood (I mean movies) doesn’t know what to do with them. Kidman is pushing 50 and knows this very well.

• Guy says:

Uh, this isn’t true. Out of all the five female leads, Shailene is the one with the fewest projects lined up. They’re all pretty hot commodities (still). (Now, that’s not exactly taking into account the quality of those roles.)

• Fabrizia says:

I don’t think Shailene is in a better predicament (especially after teh Divergent fiasco), but at least age in on her side. Nicole Kidman, Oscar winner and multiple nominee, made a movie with Adam Sandler, has played a middle aged mom with a bad wig in her last film (which means that’s how studios see her now: unfashionable supporting character, an old relic of a past era of glory) and did that Grace of Monaco.
          Reese, another Oscar winner and sometimes nominee, has stopped doing rom coms (her speciality) years ago and now has a line of merchandising and stuff that have nothing to do with acting which is what actresses do when their careers are in trouble.
          Neither is dunzo (yet), but they know that if they don’t act fast and take control of their destiny (by producing/behind the camera and studio stuff) they’re destined to obscurity.

• mtmslg says:

You know how sexist you sound right? Swap out the female stars and put male stars in their place. You know how many male stars have production companies that create roles for themselves?? Why so judgemental against women??

• Fabrizia says:

You need to improve your reading comprension skills. I praised their talent and said they should continue to create compelling roles for women past 40. The industry is merciless and it looks like Nicole and Reese want to hang on to this series because it worked, but they must be brave and make new things instead (either as producers or as actresses and producers). Male actors do it successfully because there is much more leniency towards them and their supposed “sex appeal” and “bankability”. Hopefully more mature women will get there too in the future, but Hollywood must learn first.

Now, as a feminist I suggest you also decide to better yourself, pheraps by going back to school and learn how to read stuff you find on the internet. It’s never too late! Good luck!

3. GrumpyMittens says:

They should leave it the heck alone. A show that is complete and thought through from beginning to end is a rarity (and some shows refuse to take into consideration they should stay in the mini-series zone because they don’t have enough material for a second season, yes, I’m looking at you, you watered-down pale shadow of “Man in the High Castle”!). This one is perfect as it is.

4. Katrinka says:

I actually enjoyed this series more knowing beforehand that it was just a one shot deal. Personally I’d like more shows like this & Bates Motel that start with a definitive end game. I hate all the will they or won’t they renew something angst I feel when I love a show.

5. Luis Roman says:

It is possible to tell a story well, and just let it be a wonderfully told story without having to embellish it.

6. Garbo says:

Oh, Jean-Marc, seven episodes later you should really know better. It is up to one person and one person only : Madeline MARTHA Mackenzie. If she wants a second season, everyone better gird their loins and fall in line cuz as God is her witness, she will get one.

P.S. Joking aside, Kidman and Witherspoon are open to the idea and if they are, you bet your ass everyone else will be.

7. Iris says:

Creative integrity is so rare in Hollywood. Kudos to him.

8. T.W.S.S. says:

Amen, Jean-Marc. Now I’m a fan of your directing and your producing prowess.

9. Jo-Anne Royer says:

I would love to see a season 2, you have so much you can go off on…I loved this series.

10. N says:

I much as I enjoyed this show, and would love for it to continue, true detective season 2 keeps coming back into my mind

11. Lula says:

Yes another season. I am completely addicted. The discussion material is incredible.

12. Stacey Bruckler says:

OMG PLEASE extend this series! You ladies were so awesome and the story so amazing you must go another season!! (Or more) a MUST WATCH!

13. Danielle says:

I loved the series; I’ve watched the finale twice and have re-read the book numerous times. I don’t think it should continue to a season two. The book ended, the story is over. I think the final song played in the show is true “You can’t always get what you want”

14. minirooper says:

They could easily do something to “American Horror Story” where they bring in more A-listers to play out another drama/mystery. I would definitely watch that!

15. I think it would be cool if they could take the author’s other work (What Alice Forgot/The Hypnotist) and find a way to mesh those plots/characters into to Moneray, where maybe the remaining characters from BLL could be second or thirdary characters and/or only use one of them for another story-axle.

I think it would probably be a mistake to fixate in the exact season one cast, but I defenately feel like you could build hybrid anthology off of it.

16. Desiree` says:

There definitely NEEDS to be more seasons of Big Little Lies! There is so much you could do with a series like this! Yes, the ending was a great closure for everyone but it really left me wanting more!!

• My same feeling, YES, the ending was PERFECT, all the ladies with their children, together and happy, it was amazing, but omg, i’m so here to see more of all of them together again. TV quality like this is quite rare those days, with such a incredible cast and this is why everyone wants more! Wee need more TV like Big Little Lies.

17. Grace says:

I loved this show! The women in it are extraordinary! I love them together. What I would give to work with All of them. I thought the show was pure perfection. I’m definitely going to miss it. I am not really sure what would be done with this series now that the truth came out… it was a perfect ending.

18. sandie says:

I think everyone really enjoyed the “juiciness” of it. The acting was so amazing, however, I do see potentially furthering the storylines. I for one want it to continue!

19. Sue barlass says:

I didn’t know this was it. I’m upset and would have paid more attention. This are.left undone. This makes me sad.

20. Kathleen F Terrian says:

Move heaven and earth! Where these women (and men and children) are concerned there’s a treasure trove of material to be had!

21. Haley Samo says:

Please keep it going!! There are not a lot of good tv shows, but this one is FANTASTIC!! The actors and actresses are great and this show could go on for a long time!!

22. Sarah Rhodes says:

I agree with the director. Enjoyed the series but I think without the original writer and director the product will be diluted. Rather enjoy the memories.

23. Heid says:

Such beautiful acting
    How can we not want t here to be more!
    Come on….we can find the script…..life is plenty complex enough…just call me!!!!!

24. Heid says:

Great acting…
    Please continue….worth funfi g a good writer……

25. Ceace Fehn Haagensen says:

One of the best series I’ve ever watched. As always, Nicole Kidman (and the entire cast & crew) was outstanding.

26. Tracy says:

Truly a magnificent show that touched on so many issues and a terrific performance by all. This was a beautifully shot series that was loved by the makers. I’m glad to see the integrity and pride shown by Vallée and would love to see more of his work.

27. Celeste says:

What a great series!!!! The ending was perfect but set the tone for a terric season 2,
    Don’t stop now….

28. jill smith says:

It was pretty perfect just as it was. as much as i loved it and would want to see more of these women, and there are certainly story lines within that group of women, men and children…it would have to be done just as well and not spoil what happened in those seven episodes.

29. Yes please bring it back! At the end there is someone looking thru binoculars, you could pick it from there! This was the best🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗

30. Elnora says:

Keep it going, there’s still some stories to unfold. This show had me the first time I saw the trailer for it and I’ve been hooked ever since.

31. Kate Crawford says:

I need more. It’s been a very long time since I watched something so real. The actors chosen for this amazing series are perfect! Give me more! I just purchased the book after watching the finale tonight. I don’t want it to end.

32. Kacie Billings says:

I absolutely loved this show! I hope that it returns for a second season!

33. Lois Barros says:

I would like to see this show continue for a second season and beyond . My husband and I watch it together and we enjoy all of the characters !

34. Jennifer H says:

I definitely think a season 2 is needed. The story line was great and all the actors/actresses did an amazing job. I love Nicole Kidman and Reese Witherspoon! Please make a season 2!

35. A b says:

I personally think one more season would be great . I was on the edge of my seat watching and fell in love with these ladies. They remind me very much of my own group of mom friends. Fingers crossed one more season.

36. Gina Brugellis says:

The show was absolutely perfect and it would be sad to never see those amazing women together again. I would love a second season! They are so talented they could definitely pull it off

37. Precious says:

I see no need for season 2, it ended very well….

38. Susan Dee Israel says:

Please, please continue with this epic tv series…well written, thought provoking and just amazing show!

39. Diane says:

While I have yet to watch the final act, I do believe there needs to be a second season. This is one of the best written and acted shows available. Please continue.

40. Sandra Devine says:

This was a epic cast!
    Everyone can agree.
    But boo hoo.
    I’m not on board with the no second season.
    It’s a petty peev of mine
    The one season series.
    Hate that.

41. Jane Henderson says:

I’ve read (and loved) the book multiple times. The TV version doesn’t do it justice, but was entertaining and well-done right up until the end. The viewer is left not knowing why Bonnie reacted the way she did at the end, who Saxon Banks turned out to be, nor is there any background given on why Perry is an abuser. My lawyer friend gives this book to all of the judges she knows, because it depicts abusive relationships so effectively – especially those that happen in wealthy, educated families.

42. Tracey Byers says:

Definitely need more season! See where their lives go.

43. Tameca says:

I am speechless,happy and so satisfied with this ending! Great writing. What if he could come up with a new cast and new storyline for big little lies? The writing is so awesome I’m sure they could come up with something awesome again with new people new storyline.

44. Carla says:

Yes. By far 1 of best series in along time. Give us more

45. Nancy Johnson says:

I would love for there to be a Season 2.

46. Brenda says:

I think that another season but a totally different story line would be great.. like true detective, I loved the ending and continuing it would only ruin it

47. Sandra Watson says:

I would love to see a season 2. I have never had a series wanting more.

48. Sandra Watson says:

I would love to see a season 2 but I do get it.

49. Tracie Defee says:

I just loved being a part of their lives even tho it was such a short period BUT I believe it would be awesome to bring in a second season. They are interesting enough to continue.

50. Kim Grady says:

Yes!!!!! A Sesson 2 must have!!!…Nicole, Reese and Shailene..their performances were addicting…Cast , writers and directors are ever such an Amazing Team!!!! Great Great Story…thank you for sharing such great talents!
    Kim