Report: American Idol Revival Not Moving Forward at NBC or Fox

Seacrest out… indefinitely?

According to TMZ, the proposed American Idol revival has been shelved amid a dispute between producers Fremantle Media and Core Media Group.

It was first reported back in February that Fremantle pitched NBC execs a revival of the long-running singing competition. NBC was said to be seriously considering the idea, giving them the leeway to cut The Voice down to once a year while still maintaining a year-round reality line-up, where The Voice would air in the fall, followed by Idol in spring and America’s Got Talent in summer.

On March 28, TMZ reported that the Peacock network and Fox, Idol‘s former network, had both made pitches to Fremantle with an interest in bringing the show back. Fremantle, which also produces AGT, was said to be pushing Core to agree to NBC’s offer, which Core construed as a potential conflict of interest, with Fremantle hoping Idol would help make AGT “the cornerstone of a year-round” reality-TV cycle on NBC. Core feared this would diminish Idol‘s value as a brand.

Following a Summer 2002 debut season that averaged 12 million total viewers, Idol at its peak (Season 5) was pulling north of 30 million viewers and a 12.0+ demo rating. Its farewell run on Fox averaged 9.1 million viewers and a 2.2 rating.

Interestingly enough, TMZ states that Fremantle and Core never countered NBC or Fox’s offers, indicating that talks never got that far. Had an Idol revival moved forward, it was expected back on the air by 2018.

Are you disappointed Idol isn’t likely to return (at least anytime soon), or is this ultimately for the best?

1. TOfan says:

I’m grateful to the show for introducing me to David Archuleta (@DavidArchie), but it was time for it to go off the air, imho.

2. H.H. says:

NBC is hardly going to fix their problems by feeding on the zombie carcasses of Fox shows that should have been declared dead long before they were. This singing competition stuff is soooo done.

• Kevstar69 says:

The Voice is still a top 10 show.
      I don’t watch Bill O’Reilly either, but it would be stupid to pull your best performing show off the air, just HH doesn’t like it.

• Stephen A. says:

I don’t think knew saying that. It’s just that Idol probably stayed a few seasons longer than it should as far as integrity goes. But that’s a fox internal thing.
        NBC reviving it wouldn’t be smart, especially when they have their own successful signing show.

• Fabrizia says:

Fox is the one with problems. They don’t have a thursday lineup.

3. Kevstar69 says:

I understood that Adam only wants to it once a season.
    Why, Adam, might I suggest you take time off like the women do. Your schtick with Blake is beyond tired beyond belief.
    As a matter of fact, Blake and Gwen’s cooing over each other is stale, too.

4. Diane says:

Too bad! Idol, even the worst season was so much better than The Voice. Sure, it could be tweaked in an update. I can’t stand Blake Shelton’s shenanigans either. And the producers want more romance with him and Gwen…..gag me.

• DL says:

I personally think The Voice fields way better talent. And while you may not enjoy the Blake Shelton comedy hour, I actually enjoy all the joking around. Idol hasn’t had a good panel of judges since the original trio, but The Voice keeps bringing in people who are eminently watchable — so basically my opinion is completely opposite of yours. I’d be curious to hear some actual reasons why you thought Idol was good, as opposed to disliking The Voice.

5. Billy meacham says:

I’m not sure if I believe anything today since it’s April fools.

6. RockGolf says:

Wise choice. FOX cannibalized Idol’s ratings with X Factor. NBC would have done the same to The Voice.

7. kmw says:

I am glad it isn’t going forward. It wouldn’t be any better or bring the ratings it once did. Let this show go

8. Jimmy says:

I am SO bummed about this news. I was really looking forward to it being on again.

9. Gmoney says:

April Fools?

10. Jennifer says:

THANK GOD!!!

11. Yes, very disappointed it’s not coming back. I looked forward to watching Idol every January along with Ryan Seacreast. I wish Simon never quit because the banter between Cowel & Seacreast was worth the weight in gold.
    I did really like watching Keith, Jennifer &
    Harry as judges. They where authentic and also had good banter between them. I did get excited for a minute when I read about the come back.

12. Melanie says:

My husband and I were thrilled that American Idol should be coming back…

Neither company wins if they scrap Idol anyway, hopefully they can work outdisputes out and Bring Idol Back! PLEASE !!!

13. Donna candela says:

I’m so sad I loved American Idol please come back

14. cesar nunez says:

Please bring idol back…disappointed.

15. Angelfan says:

Thank you Jesus! Now please let Seacrest fade into deserved obscurity.

16. Jj says:

Oh no! I guess white guys with guitars will have to release flop albums without Idol’s assistance.

17. Bring back American Idol in a different format. It was fun and entertaining but the way the contestants were selected at the end became a bit boring and dry. I’ve watched them all but the last two seemed to have lackluster.

It needs to be exciting, intriguing and have suspense and mystery but a more surprising edge.

Need Steven Tyler back….More Guest Judges that have great personalities. Oh , the stylist presentation of hair, clothes and makeup for the contestants needs great improvement.

18. Eurydice says:

They don’t want to diminish AI’s value as a brand. But, if it’s not on the air the brand is worth zero…oh well, whatever…

19. Dru says:

It’s over..it’s dead in the water

20. Piers says:

For me, the judges killed Idol. I found it unmatchable when Mariah and Minaj were there, and then later the pontificating HCJ was annoying [loved Keith and JLo].

21. Patti Shaw says:

Very disappointed. Adore seeing those young people sing and have dreams come true!!!

22. Carol says:

Bring idol back!

23. Sharron Gail Taylor says:

Yes I’m Disappointed it won’t be. I’m Crying Soo hard. I want it to come on! Isn’t there A Another Channel you could put it on. To make Idol fans happy! Idol makes me happy. Love it lots. Soo please do all you can to put it on.

• Johnson says:

TMZ reported what we suspected the last 2 years of the show. Idol became a cash cow that was being milked dry with giant celebrity salaries and a 20 million salary for the host. Most shows are considered a success with 6 or 7 million views — the show just cost so much money anymore, FOX could not make ends meet ,

24. uncle vanya says:

Today’s America: Corporations are people, and brands have sensitive egos.

25. Gailer says: