The Mindy Project to End After Season 6

Dr. Lahiri is settling down — and moving on.

The Mindy Project has been renewed for a sixth and final season at Hulu, TVLine has confirmed. The news comes just one day after the long-running comedy wrapped its fifth season, which found Mindy proposing to — then marrying — Ben.

“It has been an honor and a joy to work with Mindy and the entire creative team behind The Mindy Project,” Craig Erwich, Hulu’s Head of Content, said in a statement to EW.com, which first broke the news. “This series has been part of Hulu since we launched the service and, thanks to Mindy’s incredibly unique voice and vision, has remained one of our most popular and beloved series over the past five years. While we can’t wait to see what Mindy has in store for what will undoubtedly be a fantastic sixth and final season, we know The Mindy Project will live on as fans will continue to watch, discover and re-live all of the best moments from the complete series on Hulu.”

“I mean this half-jokingly, but at a certain point it was like, I think she’s dated every man in Manhattan,” Kaling told EW.com. “Sex and the City lasted for, what, six seasons with 10 episodes each? I don’t know that there’s been a show about a woman trying to find love in New York City that has lasted quite this long. And frankly, there’s no more actors in Hollywood left to date.”

Kidding aside, Kaling added, “We started this series when she was single, and now she’s married and has a kid and she has a stepdaughter, and it kind of just felt like [a few] more episodes was all we needed to wind this down.”

The Mindy Project‘s final season is expected to premiere in September.

Will you miss The Mindy Project, or does this feel like the right time for Kaling to wrap things up?

1. Patty Stamps says:

Spoiler Alert! I didn’t get to last night’s ep. yet. If only ” and, marry” was after the jump. I still love you all.

2. Mike says:

How many episodes? Because it definitely does not need a whole lot of episodes to wrap things up for good.

• J.Norman says:

I suspect that it will be less than this years (5th season) 14 episodes.

I don’t know, of course, but I would look for about 8 (episodes) for a wrap up.

I think both Mindy Kaling and Hulu are ready to move on but want to wrap it up for the fans.
      A nice gesture to be sure.

3. Ken says:

They need to get Danny back, repair his character and have them be end game.

• Marcie says:

Nope. Chris Messina is busy doing bit parts in forgettable movies.

• herman1959 says:

Seeing as how his character became such a dog, it just wouldn’t make sense, and a series finale has to make sense. Hopefully, they don’t do one of those Sopranos finales where no one is sure what it means, including the actors.

• AmandaB says:

He’s starring opposite Amy Adams in his next movie! Mindy Kaling, on the other hand, is doing voice-only roles or bit parts in ensemble movies.

• Mary says:

Mindy Kaling is in to major movies and is about to go shoot a movie with Emma Thompson that she wrote not to mention the development deal with Universal.

• Dobchek says:

That Emma Thompson movie? It’s a no-go. Mindy made an announcement to try to land a director and financing. Didn’t happen.

But Chris Messina’s career is really taking off! Congrats to Chris for finally freeing himself of the shackles of a subpar, abominally-low-rated sitcom!

• mary says:

The script made the blacklist, is directed by Paul Feig, shooting in April and is being produced by Fox but ok. I think this new TV show will be fine for Messina but his career isn’t blowing up he is still known as Danny and probably always will be. Which it was a great role for him so that isn’t bad.

I hope they all do well it was a great cast, hope they all do great. But Mindy’s movie a go.

• Marcie says:

It’s an 8 episode series. We’ll see if he can carry it anywhere, but I have my doubts.

• I re-watched the first 3 seasons recently and I am puzzled why I ever liked Danny. If he were a real human being, I would hate him. He was rigid, manipulative, simple-minded and misogynistic. I have to give credit to Chris Messina for making him likable despite the fact that the character was so awful. I’ve heard people say that the writers ruined his character but I think that viewers were ust blinded by CM’s charisma…his character never really changed, so I’m not sure anyone ruined his character by being consistent. We wanted him to change and he didn’t…which is pretty on par with what would happen in real life. (That said, Mindi Lahiri isn’t too good for Danny. She’s a piece of work herself but at least she did grow a bit over the course of the show.)

• Nicole says:

Get out of my head. I’ve always said Danny has never changed. His attitude and stance on things were only amplified after the birth of Leo. So I’m shocked so many people think they drastically changed the character. Leo just brought his character flaws to focus. I still love Danny though and their coupling. It just may be too late for them. I still hope he shows up in the finale season and maybe reestablish their friendship.

• JJ. says:

agreed! I mentioned this is Kimberly’s post but I have a theory that the way the viewer sees danny is a reflection on the way mindy sees danny. Before they got together all of his chauvinistic qualities were still there but we are seeing him through rose colored glasses so they are easily brushed off as quirky character traits. However once that behaviour directly affects mindy the charm starts to wear off culminating to peter giving mindy (and the audience) a reality check in ‘the departed’. As you mentioned the behaviour was always there, unlike some other views I fail to see the character assassination

4. Bri says:

I can’t believe that a well-written, genuinely funny show gets cancelled while 2BG is still on, a show where I know the not-funny punchline before anyone says it.

• LE says:

Well 2BG has not been renewed for a s7 so….

• SJ says:

Huh? First of all, Mindy Project hasn’t been good since its last Fox season and secondly, Kaling apparently decided to end the show herself. Hulu didn’t cancel it so much as they just let it end. Add to that the fact that 2 Broke Girls is heavily on the bubble for next season and if it ends this season, both shows will have had 6 seasons each.

• Kay says:

The show is still great, it’s different and clearly Danny leaving switched direction and MK’s original plan but I’ve loved the correction. How independent the character has gotten, and no lie I love Jeremy and Anna which shocked me.

5. herman1959 says:

OK, let the hulu binge begin! I’ve got to get caught up before the start of Season 6. Don’t cry Mindy fans, 6 seasons is a lot in this TV atmosphere.

6. Joey Padron says:

Glad they got renewed for one more season. 6 seasons is a good run for the show. Can’t wait to see what happens in the final season this fall.

7. Kay says:

I’m sad to see a show I love stop but I get that MK has a lot of other opportunities and I appreciate she acknowledges that the narrative isn’t one that can live forever like a lot of sitcoms try to and is giving it a realistic run and arc.

All I can hope is Superstore lives past Mindy Project. So I don’t lose all my shows next year. :)

8. Laurel says:

This is my favorite show and I’m sad to see it go, but so happy it’s getting a final wrap up season. Goodbye Morgan Fairchild Tookers.

9. LB says:

I adore Mindy, and have been faithful to the show throughout its entire run. With that being said, it is time to say goodbye. This past season felt unlike the TMP I have always loved, although there were definitely some great episodes and moments. I understand needing to pull tricks out of a hat, or so to speak, to keep things fresh, but this just felt like an entirely different show. Glad for Mindy’s personal growth, but sad for the storyline’s direction otherwise. I’m still excited to see how TMP wraps up. Regardless of how it does, I will always have the Christmas Party Sex Trap episode, and seasons 2-3 in general to bring me endless joy!

• KateC says:

Christmas Party Sex Trap is one of the episodes I might show someone to get them hooked on TMP. Love that episode!

10. Margo Elle says:

Good! After the complete change in his charactor, it has not been good since Chris left. They should not have trashed him that way. But, the series started off with showing her life outside the practice, and then firing most of the women on the show, it was just about her and the men in her life. So glad it’s ending.

11. Netty says:

The show was never the same once it moved to HULU…loved it but it was a mess. Danny leaving really hurt the show

12. Big Cheddar says:

When you find the supporting characters more interesting than the main character, it’s time to call it quits. I’m glad she’s getting a chance to wrap up some things before she voes.

• Netty says:

This reminds me of Anger management with Charlie Sheen..I stuck with that show to the bitter end just because of the supporting cast and I find myself doing the same with TMP

13. Wooster182 says:

I had a feeling this was coming when they settled her down so quickly with such a nice normal guy. I would have been happier with Jody and even happier with her ending up with Casey but I’ll watch it until the end.

14. Rafael says:

I hope the 6th and final season will have an odd-number episode and we should get all the past cast member to return right away, especially the series finale, which is important. I know New Girl is about to end its series this year because both Deschenal sisters wanted to concentrate on their own families right now.

15. Erin B says:

So glad we get a final season. I thought when it moved to Hulu that we would get one season. Very happy Hulu gave it somewhere to air. It’s one show that I know will consistently make me laugh.

16. E. D. Boddy says:

She’s dated every *white* man in Manhattan. :) (That’s not a criticism, but let’s be factual.)

17. Rafael says:

I have a feeling that it might be FOX’s fault for accepting this show on the first place, for some reasons: 1.) FOX thought this show it is considered a strong female type of sitcom like New Girl and Glee, 2.) but now FOX didn’t analyze deeply on Mindy Kaling enough because she’s not Zooey Deschanel and 3.) not only that FOX didn’t analyze deeply on this entire show that it is more of NBC production show rather than a FOX production show.

Alternatively, I hope all the past cast members who left this show too soon will return for this upcoming sixth and final season as reduced guests, especially this show’s series finale, most importantly! Finally, this show’s series finale should be better than Glee’s series finale.

18. Crystal Janey says:

NOOOOOOOOO. Best show on TV. I get to laugh, cry and cringe in every 25 minute episode. So heartbroken it is ending. It felt the same when family guy and arrested development ended…….and they came back.

19. Nancy Lombardo says:

I live Mindy’s character, and I also love Danny!! It would be great to see these 2 hook up this season. I think they belong together❤. They have amazing chemistry on screen, and I wouldnt mind seeing him rock his dance moves!!

20. Linda says:

I adore the show and will definitely miss it
    I will never get enough of this show hope it’s a great season finale maybe we have more Mindy in her golden years

21. Linda says:

Will miss the show a lot hope it’s a great finale who knows maybe 20 years from now Mindy will be back on in her golden years I’m sure that would be hilarious

22. Rafael says:

Here’s what I am looking forward on this show’s 6th and final season, IMO:
    • This show will be moved to Friday nights.
    • There will be an odd-numbered total of episodes for this show.
    • All the main cast members (except for both Gwen and Shauna) and recurring guest members of the show since beginning of this series should appear especially in the series finale.