Bones Finale X-Files

Bones Boss on That X-Files Dig in Finale: 'There Was Some Concern'

The (very) subtle shade is out there.

In Tuesday’s Bones finale, Booth — at the tail end of a moving pep talk he was giving to a demoralized Brennan — attempted to cheer his wife up further by assuring her, “We’re way better than Mulder and Scully.” That was no mere throwaway line. The crack bookended a moment in the show’s pilot 12 years ago when Booth gave the iconic X-Files duo a similar — albeit more effusive — shout-out, telling Brennan, “We’re Scully and Mulder.”

While longtime Bones fans no doubt relished the full-circle quip, not to mention Brennan’s continued cluelessness about all things X-Files, co-showrunner Michael Peterson concedes that they were a little spooked that some might view the Easter egg as a sleight against their small-screen forebearers. “It was in the script, out of the script, in the script, out of the script,” he tells TVLine of the moment. “And it was in the cut and out of the cut — multiple times. Because there was some concern. But at the end of the day we weren’t throwing shade. It was just a nod to the loyal fans who have been there since the pilot. [Series creator] Hart Hanson loves [X-Files boss] Chris Carter. We all love The X-Files. No shade intended.”

As Peterson notes, “We are a sensitive group of people. We wanted to make sure it didn’t come off [negatively]. We respect The X-Files so much — we didn’t want anyone to think we were [slamming them]. We carry a lot of the same fans. There are a huge number of people who are both X-Files fans and Bones fans.”

Well, let’s hear from those aforementioned fans of X and B. Did you love the line as much as we did? Weigh in below!

1. RedReddington says:

I thought it was perfect, especially since it was a call back to the pilot, and I’m a huge XF fan. I’m glad they kept it!

2. Red says:

I am both an XF and Bones fan. I have always found the line in the pilot episode to be funny, and this to be simply a throw-back to that.

3. Frankie707 says:

As an X-Phile and a Bonehead. ;) I loved it. One of the things I loved about the Bones Pilot was that line. “What, you want me to spit in my hand? We’re Scully and Mulder.” I was so hoping for a callback to that in the finale, so absolutely loved the line in the finale. I didn’t see it as throwing shade at all. I very happy it made the cut and ended up making it to air. :)

4. Leonie1988 says:

I can see how some might feel offended, but it’s really ok! (Also Mulder and Scully are still broken up, so at the moment they ARE better)

5. Al says:

Wow, this piece of crap managed to stay on the air for 12 years?

6. Iris says:

Did anyone notice it? If there was no outrage, and no intention to take a dig at The X-Files, I don’t see the need to draw attention to it.

7. kmw says:

Of course it wasn’t a shade. It was a cute call back to the pilot. As another critic has noted Brennan and Booth got a much better series finale than Mulder and Scully did. Now if The X-Files comes back soon they might rectify that but if Chris Carte is at the helm that would be doubtful

8. Ilene Efkarpides says:

I enjoyed the comment. Bones is one of the few shows that are direct descendants of The X Files. They carried the mantle with distinction. Twelve great years. One quibble however. Booth and Brennan were great. No one touches Mulder and Scully, however.

• Mackenzie says:

Agreed!

I love Booth and Brennan. I’m thrilled they got their happy ever after and enjoyed the comment as a throwback to the pilot, but better than Mulder and Scully they most certainly aren’t.

9. scifi woman says:

I loved the call back to Mulder & Scully!

10. Dee Jensen says:

I think my neighbors could hear me screaming, “Sara Rue and John Boyd are the match!” Their on-screen chemistry was spot on; that squint intern should never have been considered. I would love to see Agent Aubrey get a show of his own; it was sad that we got to enjoy him for such a short time. Glad to see the nod to Mr. Nigel-Murray, one of my all time favorite interns.

11. Jake says:

Every long lived show, including Bones, tends to go down in quality towards the end of it’s run.
    X-Files, however turned into a steaming, unwatchable pile towards the last few seasons – maybe even halfway through. I stopped watching when there were a few episodes where toddlers were murder victims. It got to be kinda sick.

12. suzanne martini says: