Big Little Lies Season 2

Big Little Lies: I Want a Season 2 and I Want It Now Please and Thank You

TV-MAOn Monday, HBO issued a press release basically declaring that Big Little Lies — its seven-part limited series starring  — has quietly blossomed into a big-ish hit.

Per the cabler, the well-reviewed dramedy is averaging 7 million viewers across multiple platforms ahead of Sunday’s grand finale. Just as noteworthy, is the buzz that Big Little Lies is generating on social media (Sunday’s penultimate episode was trending on Twitter just behind The Walking Dead) and around the proverbial office water cooler (or in TVLine’s case, our fountain-soda machine). The series has all the makings of a pop culture phenomenon.

And it’s about to get ripped away from us.

Turns out, Big Little Lies is the rare TV project to take its “limited series” label literally, as in there’s very little chance of a second season. Although HBO isn’t officially commenting, multiple sources inside and outside the cable network tell me there are no plans or discussions to follow the privileged Monterey moms played by Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman, Shailene Woodley, Laura Dern and Zoë Kravitz beyond this seven-episode run. And it’s a big, not-so-little shame.

Like many TVLine readers, I’m not ready to say goodbye to these tough, mercurial, complex women. Heck, I feel like I’m only now getting to really know them. And while some might argue that Big Little Lies can’t continue because it already exhausted its source material — i.e. the Liane Moriarty novel on which the series was based — allow me to introduce you to The Leftovers. That HBO series similarly burned through its literary inspiration in its first season and yet went on to produce a far superior second season.

And, yes, I realize the A-list trio of Witherspoon, Kidman and Woodley are busy with their film careers, but  they have also been effusive about their experience working on Big Little Lies, with Witherspoon calling it “the greatest ensemble” she’s ever collaborated with and Kidman lamenting this week to Vulture, “I was so sad to say good-bye because we all became very, very close.”

No need to say goodbye, Nic. You’re an exec producer on the project. As is Reese. In fact, if the two of you hadn’t optioned the rights to Moriarty’s novel, the miniseries may never have existed. I daresay a second season starts with the two of you. Make it happen.

1. CIP says:

I read the book and thought it was very good. Looking forward to see the series (I don’t have HBO but may get it just to see this).

2. A says:

One of the best shows of 2017. But seriously wth did TVLine stopped recapping this show? Like Why if it is so good? I still don’t understand.

3. Michelle says:

Amen. We need a season 2. There IS source material and otherwise for it to work. The aftermath of the finale will have an effect that making a S2 would only benefit from it. I’m grasping at straws here. But we NEED a s2. Ill wait until they can free up their schedules too. Its just TOO good of a show to stop.

• Daisy F. says:

I completely agree with you Michelle! The aftermath of what happens after the “murder” will put all of their lives in a tailspin. I think there’s plenty of material to work with. I hope Season 2 happens, but I doubt it will. I really liked the book and am loving the series.

• Tom says:

Was about to post my own comment when I saw yours. So well put! A second season is entirely set up from the finale.

4. LK says:

While i like the show.. I don’t think it should be extended.. Every time they take a series based on a book and try to extend it past the source material it doesn’t work…

• Sandra Santilli says:

I agree! There is nothing more to say. The brilliant actors that came together was like nothing I’ve ever seen on a television series. I will be sorely disappointed if Reece and Nicole do not bring it back.for another season. It ranks up there with American Horror Story and The Walking Dead….No, actually it exceeds AHS and TWD.

• cincobayou says:

Yes, agree.

• JaneLane says:

I agree. One of the reasons I started watching this is because I knew it was a limited series. I like the idea of watching a story unfold and then being done with it, instead of watching the writers scramble for storylines and inevitably the quality goes down.

I don’t think we have anything to worry about. Kidman and Witherspoon aren’t going to sign in to continue with this series. I assume one of the draws, other than the source material, was that it is meant to be a limited series.

• Um… The Leftovers. Like he said.

5. kate says:

It might be curious, as I understand it having not read the book, there are questions that many people have assumed the answer to but, in fact, have never been fully answered in the book. First, the fact that most of the aftermath that isn’t immediate, we have been seeing all along. There isn’t much to happen after the actual death. Like, also, for instance, everyone who read this assumes they know who Ziggy’s father is, but I don’t think its ever said nor does Jane have a chance to say it.

6. Nan says:

Actually I think the series is pretty boring…I’m only continuing to watch to find out who died. I would not watch a 2nd season.

7. Jim says:

It’s fantastic. One of the very best things I’ve seen in a long time. That said, they shouldn’t do a follow-up unless they’re confident they have a story as good.

8. KCC says:

I’m enjoying the show but don’t think it needs to be extended. The best stories have a beginning, middle and END. Once the mystery of the death is resolved, the show will be a bunch of whiny rich people with all their petty and self important “problems.” That’s not a show I would watch. Isn’t that what the Kardashians is about? If they just showed the story in a linear way, not as a series of flashbacks and if I didn’t know someone died, I would never have watched it this long. I guess they could make Monterey into Cabot Cove but how many murders can realistically happen within that exclusive community, besides I think Angela Landsbury is retired.

9. Trae A Alvarez says:

Big little lies is a great book/movie. With love, passion, hatred, and so many more emotions that tie into real life situations and everyday problems. I know its hard to create a series out of one book that ends with episode 7, but i strongly agree that the series can be continued. What about Jane’s rapist, Ziggy’s father. Do they find him? does he die? What about the affair between Joseph and Madeline? Celest’s abusive relationship? Or Amabella’s bully? These problems can create a whole new series starting off with the murder.

10. kmw says:

I am sorry for all the fans who most likely wont gat another season including you Michael, but it isn’t surprising that these movie stars wont come back. That is the price you pay for limited series with big name stars

11. Kate says:

Yes, please! I liked the book, but I actually think the series is far better than the book. It would be fun to have a season 2 where no one knows what’s coming ahead, vs. this season where some people know the end.

12. D says:

Please make a second, third and fourth etc season! I’m loving the series!

13. chris says:

Look you have a BIG HIT its not the time to stop its the time to give us a 2nd Season. Best thing on TV. 2nd season please!!

14. Mary pecor says:

Oh my god!!! Yes please, this show is amazing, I have gotten many people to watch this and they LOVE IT!!! Amazing acting by EVERYONE! Please have a season 2

15. TJ says:

I read the book not too long ago…. first mistake… so it’s fresh in my mind. I would much rather have the book than this mini-series. I’m not thrilled with the changes they have made. I actually found the book to have more humor in it and a lighter tone at times. This mini-series just seems dark most of the time.

I knew the casting when I read the book. I was so looking forward to Reese because I could hear her voice as I read it. I think her character/backstory was changed way too much. Increasing the story line for Laura Dern’s character was a mistake too. The three main women were the heart of the book and I just don’t feel it in the mini-series.

I will admit, it’s rare that I think a book adaption is good. Mostly because trying to turn a book into a two hour movie is impossible. I had high hopes for this because it was a mini-series. It read like a movie script in places so I thought this would be a no brainer.

Now if they change the ending….. you could have a season 2 but I don’t see the need if it stays true to the story. Plus what’s so wrong with have good mini-series? Remember the days of Rich Man, Poor Man…Thorn Birds… Roots! We use to have great mini-series that were done as rating stunts back in the day. Just move on to something else good and enjoy this for it is.

• PBW says:

I agree, why do they make unnecessary changes to the story line? Reese’s character is much more likable in the book. I find watching the series frustrating when I already know how the story should go and isn’t.

16. Emily says:

I am okay without a 2nd season, but I would like to see more of Liane’s books made into limited series like this. Starting with The Husband’s Secret and What Alice Forgot.

• Amanda says:

I totally agree. This has been an amazing mini-series of “Big Little Lies” but we are reaching the end of the book and it should end as well. I know “The Husband’s Secret” and “What Alice Forgot” originally were optioned to be films but that was a couple years ago so the rights might’ve gone back to Liane. Resse should adapt them as well. I haven’t read “Truly, Madly, Guilty” yet but I heard that’s good too.

• Paige says:

There’s a good interview with Nicole Kidman in Vogue about the filming of the series, how she got the rights to this book, casting, etc. She does talk about some of the other books that were optioned. FYI

• Ashley says:

Nicole and Reese have optioned Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty, so perhaps they will make that a mini series too?

17. please, don’t Broadchurch this series. The Brits have it right, and know when enough is enough…except for cancelling The Musketeers too soon.

18. T.W.S.S. says:

I’m looking forward to “Sharp Objects” on HBO, starring Amy Adams and directed by Jean-Marc Vallee (the same guy who directed “Big Little Lies”). I hope it has the same, or even better (if that’s possible) quality. I’m basically viewing it as the second season to “Big Little,” in an anthology sense.

19. Brian says:

Really does suck how this is ending on Sunday.

20. dottie says:

Love this show. The acting is fantastic.

21. Laura James says:

Please. This show is fantastic, I can’t wait for Sunday night so I can watch it, must continue !!!

22. Tara Podolak says:

Loving this limited series. Acting is great and the friendships and marriages are very real. Hoping for a season 2.

23. maggie says:

Big Little Lies is truly a great show. I would love to see Reese and Nicole buy the rights to more books so they can continue to work together.

24. Elaine says:

I really enjoy True Little Lies. I totally forgot that someone was killed. I am so enthralled with the story at hand. Hello don’t want to see it end on 4/2/17. Also the music is great.

25. Jill says:

Please don’t stop now! Love this show-such an incredible ensemble of cast including the kids

26. Finally, something worth watching again–Big Little Lies–there’s so much more that can be done with these characters–what happens after the murder? How are they all affected? I can’t believe that it’s ending–please, give us another season!

27. I’d watch a season 2. Came across the show “accidentally” and am so glad I did. Absolutely love it!

28. Shannon says:

This show is quite possibly the best first season tv drama I have seen in long time. The characters are dynamic and real. They are relatable to people on all levels of the social spectrum. Kidman and Reese must work something out for, at the minimum, a second season. I’ve hardly had enough of the beautifully crafted, heartfelt lives of all the ladies in the show. Viewers have connected with the show on a personal level and it would be a shame not to run a season 2! Do it for us!!:)

29. Latisha says:

I’m so so sad this show is ending!! Love love love it. I really hope it’s extending to a session 2.

30. Big Little Lies

Was a hit from the get go! It has so much potential beyond the first season story line. I hope they reconsider and make a few more seasons!!!

31. Carol Green says:

I hope Big Little Lies will have many more seasons. The chemistry between the actresses is wonderful. The scenery divine. The story is so real. It’s such an escape for me, a retired 3rd grade teacher in Eureka, CA. Thank you, thank you for all your lies!

32. It would be a down rite shame not to have a second season! There is so much I feel that’s left to explore with these women. Please rethink yall’s desicion on this being the end.

33. Jennifer E Hamilton says:

No!!!!!! I love this show. Dont stop now! Great music too.

34. Alicia Meintel says:

I cannot believe this is not continuing! I have totally loved this show. Please find a way to keep it going…second season pleaseeee

35. Lawrie says:

I loved the book and I’m loving this mini series. I would love them to make a mini series out of one of Liane Moriarty’s other books instead of a season 2 though. Her books are awesome!!

36. Alana Barr-Sanders says:

Bottom line….we love it. Just one more season please. Too much juice to dry it up now.

37. Rosalie shore says:

Should come back without a doubt. great story, great acting, great scenery, and let’s not for get the greatusic. Love that show

38. Nathalie says:

can we please start a petition or something I cannot deal if there is no season 2

39. Kat Fyten says:

Great show!!! Where can I get the sound TraCK?

40. Denise Estrada says:

I came in in the 4 week snd it oulled me in just like thst. So I went bsck and watched the previous weeks in one night. Need more please . I dont watch much tv but this had me hooked.

41. Kat Fyten says:

Love the show & want the sound track please

42. Phyllis Ann Iervello says:

I agree! There are so few TV shows that I look forward to watch, but this has been one of them. Looking forward to the finale episode but sad it is the end when there could be so many more given the diversity of the characters.

43. Tammy says:

There has to be more seasons!!!! This show is my new obsession! I love every character and the fiesty Reese Witherspoon! Please make more!!!

44. Tvtime says:

Loved the show! On Sundays not to many shows on worth watching. Hoping for season 2.

45. Sandra says:

Big Little Lies was awesome. One of the best for 2017. David Kelly has done it again. Anything he has a part of is pure gold. Thanks for such a good production that kept me glued to the TV.

46. Pauline says:

I want more Big Little Lies!

47. Christi says:

Please Please come back for a second season. Awesome show. Awesome cast. Loved it!!!

48. Katie Rossi says:

Best of Best by HBO. Perfectly cast so much substance in the story line.
    I loved it a pray David Kelley and the exec producers & cast bring us more in the lives of Monterrey.
    Katie from Louisiana

49. Teresa says:

Please Please Please continue this series!!! This cast and the writers are amazing!!! We definitely need a season 2!!!

50. anna says:

I would love to keep it going with a second season along with more. It was alook at abuse on so many levels and for those in lower close to see it happens in all classes was awesome to know we all are not alone and are joined together at some level. Great series love to see more!!