Matt Shively Spaced Out

Real O'Neals Brother Cast in NBC Pilot Spaced Out — Is ABC Comedy a Goner?

The future is not looking good for The Real O’Neals.

Matt Shively — who plays older brother Jimmy O’Neal on the ABC series — has nabbed the lead role in NBC’s space-travel comedy pilot Spaced Out, our sister site Deadline reports.

Shively will play Peter Gibbons, a working-class genius whose struggles to fit in with an established team are made more difficult when their job is to build a rocket to Mars.

Shively’s casting in the project — which hails from Undateable executive producers Adam Sztykiel and Bill Lawrence — is in second position to The Real O’Neals. However, the low-rated ABC laffer is not expected to be renewed for Season 3, according to Deadline. Averaging less than 3.1 million total viewers with a 0.9 demo rating this season, The Real O’Neals is the network’s least watched sitcom while tying Dr. Ken as its lowest rated.

Additionally, Christine Woods (Hello Ladies, FlashForward) has joined the cast as Maxine “Max” Donovan, an alpha female engineer. The ensemble also includes Donald Faison (Scrubs), Miranda Cosgrove (iCarly), Brett Goldstein and Ken Kirby.

Will you miss The Real O’Neals if it doesn’t come back for another season?

1. Molly says:

Yes! I will miss this show. It’s super funny and has a lot of heart…💔

• Laurel says:

I will miss this show too. Jimmy, Shannon and the dad are all so funny!

• Frances Cardinale says:

Me to I think Kenney is so sweet I want to see what comes next for him.

• CJKatl says:

While I do watch and enjoy the show, is it really that much different than five other shows on ABC? Speechless is the same show, but with CP instead of gay. Fresh Off the Boat is immigrant instead of gay. American Mom (or whatever) it’s mom issues instead of gay. The Middle, the best of the lot, it’s weird kids instead of gay. The Goldbergs it’s the eighties instead of gay. Other than the specific twist, ABC essentially has six versions of the same show. It’s time to prune.

2. Jimmy says:

Well, that’s a shame. The Real O’Neals can be a bit hokey at times, but it’s a fun show.

3. Kevin Tran says:

Real O’Neals should be a goner soon. I remember Matt Shively when he was on True Jackson VP alongside Keke Palmer.

4. Matthew Lawler says:

The real O’Neils is one of the few ABC succumbs actually watch along with fresh off the boat and the Goldbergs so of course they would cancel this

5. Chuck says:

Noooooooooooooooooo! I love The Real O’Neals!

6. Haz says:

That sucks about TRON but I’m not too suprised. In many ways I wish it had been cancelled after its first season. It would have been less of a blow to fans who became attached to the characters. Now that I’ve quit watching Modern Family there is nothing on ABC that I watch. I preferred TRON over American Housewife, I like the leads but it’s very hit or miss and I finally gave up on it a few episodes back.

7. Nerdbot says:

I do hope The Real O’Neals gets a third season and if, by some miracle, it does, I think Matt Shively could still leave the show as his character is supposed to go to college.

8. Shelley says:

I would miss The Real O’Neals. I think it’s one of the best new sitcoms on tv.

9. Mare says:

I love “The Real O’Neals!!” I so hope it comes back!

10. Mel says:

I loathe the Real O’Neals, and its stereotypes. I especially can’t stand the actor who plays the main character. Good riddance!

11. Jack says:

I’ll miss the show. I thought it was very funny. Guess the tv renewal scorecard got that one wrong. From “safe bet” to canceled.

12. John says:

I will definitely miss it. The Real O’Neal’s always make me laugh, there’s nothing else quite like it on TV right now. The writing and the cast are amazing. Come on ABC don’t let us down!

13. I have been saying all along the scandal with that punk outing and bashing other gay actors. Was the death of this show. Besides a 23 yr old trying to pass off as a 15 yr old twink is just silly. The show did nothing to represent the gay community other that a few rainbow flags.

14. Andrew Bodie says:

I will miss the Real O’Neals if the show don’t come back on the air, I think they should bring back the Real O’Neals finish out the second season then go to the third season, I think they really fix it so the Real O’Neals stay on TV for more seasons to come, we want the Real O’Neals back.

15. readenreply says:

The problem with the Real O’Neal is that the main character is completely unlikeable.
    Kenny, gay or not, is a selfish brat.

16. Jill Kirk says:

I will miss this show!! We watch it every week! Its extremley funny!! Its not afraid to tackle a controversial topic with the way some gay teens are shunned by there families. Please dont cancel tbis show!! We need more shows like this!!!

17. Ray says:

What a shame. I hope The Real O’Neals Stick around for a bit longer. The first season was a hoot and this show has so much promise with its incredibly talented cast.

18. Albert says:

Its too bad. Its hard to be an adolescent that’s coming out. The show portrayed what goes through the person’s mind when coming out. Its only one point of view. People come out in different ways, and there is no right way to come out.
    I hope The show continues at least one more season.

19. maregolden says:

The first season of this show was great. The second, no so much. They took the focus of the show off Kenny and put it on Mom, Eileen and her boyfriend, VP Murray. I found their relationship a reach and kind of creepy. Not surprised the ratings are down.

20. Drew says:

Well I’m sure One Less Than Million Moms will take credit for getting The Real O’neals kicked off the air, so I’ll be sure to ignore that self-congratulatory back-slapping victory message sometime soon…

As to the show itself, I enjoyed the sibling interactions the most, and will miss them. Yes, there were some stereotypes, but within the three recurring LGBT characters there was diversity
    so overall the fact that it brought more LGBT characters into mainstream Americans’ living rooms was a good thing. I’ll need to see Martha Plimpton back on screen very soon if this is canceled…

21. E. D. Boddy says:

Someone getting a pilot doesn’t prove their show is going to be cancelled. A few years ago, Charlie McDermott got a pilot, but “The Middle” continues to this day.

22. TvLover says:

I really only liked the parents, goofy aunt and VP Murray. Didn’t like the lead actor, I felt that he was too much of a stereotype, and not really funny as the rest of the cast.
    So if it’s cancelled it’s too bad but I hope Martha Plimpton gets a better show after The Real O’Neils ends.

23. Ram510 says:

That’s fine. He’s actually funny so hopefully his new show is good and gets picked up. TRON is dead

24. Norma Holter says:

Absolutely, we will miss it. Just the right balance of goofy and serious. We love it.

25. natalie says:

the renewal scorecard still ranks the real o’neals a “safe bet” at the moment so im holding on to that…

26. Jim says:

The Real McNeals is the BEST.

27. Frances Cardinale says:

I love the real o nears it’s the best show on television.

28. Johnjon says:

I hope it will be renewed, it’s one of the few shows we watch regularly. We look forward to each airing and enjoy all of the actors. We also hope the first 2 seasons will be released on DVD.

29. Carole Hirth says:

I wouldn’t miss the show never cared for it. So we didn’t add it to our list of must watch or record

30. Renzie Hill says:

I really love this show! It’s funny and sweet. Love love Martha Plimpton.

31. mary ann says:

Love, love, love the “Real O’Neals. Funny and sweet show about a loving family. Please do not cancel it!!!!!!