fear-the-walking-dead-season-2-episode-14-15 recap

Fear the Walking Dead Showrunner to Step Down After Season 3

Fear the Walking Dead is undergoing a changing of the guard.

Dave Erickson, the current showrunner of AMC’s zombie spinoff, will step down from that position following the upcoming Season 3, according to our sister site Variety. Erickson will remain as an executive producer on the series, and will develop other projects for AMC Studios under a new overall deal.

Erickson served as showrunner for the first two seasons of Fear, which hasn’t achieved the ratings success of its predecessor The Walking Dead: It debuted to more than 10 million viewers in August 2015, but sank to around 3 million for October’s Season 2 finale. AMC renewed it for a 16-episode Season 3 last April.

“We’re beyond grateful for Dave’s amazing work on the first three seasons of Fear the Walking Dead,” AMC president of original programming and development Joel Stillerman said in a statement. “With Dave as showrunner, the series fulfilled its creative promise to expand the Walking Dead universe in a way that was totally unique from the original series… We are also incredibly excited that Dave has chosen to stay in the AMC family to pursue his next passion project. We look forward to many more successful collaborations.”

Does Fear the Walking Dead need a fresh start? Drop your FTWD thoughts in a comment below.

1. Matt C. says:

I’m a huge TWD fan, but I gave up on this series halfway into season 2 and still haven’t bothered catching up. I can’t get past the fact that there was SO much storytelling potential that they completed wasted. Not to mention an excellent cast that is just too good for this show. Hopefully a new showrunner can freshen things up a bit, but honestly if the ratings keep sinking, this show probably won’t make it past season 4.

2. Mark says:

He should have left after the boring first season. He really messed up what could have been a good show.

3. amccravy85 says:

I find FTWD to be quite boring and I think it’s because I already know what’s going on. It started off very very slow and there is not enough action or edge gripping scenes for me. I have had my cable off and still found a way to watch TWD but FTWD has been to either come up with some better action and get on with the killing and blood or just stop please.

4. Ron says:

I fell behind on this series roughly half way through season 2. (I think the last episode I saw was where Maddie and someone–maybe Strand?–get trapped in the hotel bar. *Maybe* the episode after that was the last one I watched.) I initially had plans to catch up, and then I just found myself not caring enough. So, I’ll ask: for those who made it further, is it worth me catching up, or should I not bother?

• Gina says:

If you weren’t impressed with what you saw up to that point, you likely won’t be impressed with the rest.

• Kyla says:

Ron the simple answer is no, the spin off is crap and most are expecting cancellation. Erickson is trying to leave with his dignity. Don’t bother watching.

5. KLS says:

Now that TWD is more about the survivors then the walkers, FTWD has an even bigger opportunity to fill the attacking zombies void. The new guy has to realize that his show is not the first out of the gate and while it may be interesting to him/her to show people adapting & learning to the new world, the audience is not.

6. Cassie says:

This series had sooooo much potential! But it was horribly done. I don’t care about any of the characters. The actors are doing a great job considering what they’re given, but there just isn’t anything there.

• Kyla says:

Agree but this is fit for the scrapheap. A showrunner of all people leaving before a 3rd season has even begun is a VERY bad sign. I feel sorry for that Teen Wolf actor. I know he was getting desperate after his character got axed but he should have been smarter than to sign up for a dying dysfunctional spin off.

7. JeffO says:

I stopped watching this after the first half of season 1. I couldn’t stand any of the characters… the mother is the WORST along with the bratty daughter. They were just all unlikeable. And I had great hopes for Frank Dillane (liked his work in Harry Potter) but… not so much in FTWD
    They should reboot the series with a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CAST say in a different city for a fresh start.

• Kyla says:

I wanted to slap Madison and Alicia with a wet fish and promptly kick them offto my screen. Characters are so stupid. I can’t believe they are supposed to be the ones to root for. Bad acting too.

8. Jeremy says:

I hope they keep it going. I thought the angle and approach they took on ftwd was great and actually liked better then the walking dead itself. I hope they can run it just as long. There’s slot of potentail. Thought the cast was great too.

• Alex says:

You are a rare species. Most people hate it, think the acting and characters are awful and want it cancelled. Keep it going for as long as the original? What planet are you on? Cancel it.

9. Lynda Lee says:

Too much time has passed since the Season 2 Finale… I really don’t have much enthusiasm for this show anymore…. One of the absolute turn offs for me is the Maddie character.. I have really tried to like her but I just cannot… I like Kim Dickens,just not Maddie…. pfft…. go figure….. sigh….

• Max says:

I can’t stand the bratty Alicia girl. SO pathetic making her the main character. She’s annoying and unlikable and clearly only got the role because of her looks. Just get rid.