The Knick Season 2 Clive Owen Dr. John Thackery

The Knick Season 3 Update: 'I've Heard It's Done,' Co-Star Says

Like an alarming number of Dr. Thackery’s patients, The Knick seems to have drawn its last breath.

Although there’s no official word from Cinemax, it appears unlikely the Clive Owen-starring medical drama will return for a third season, according to This Is Us star Chris Sullivan, who played The Knick‘s gruff ambulance driver Tom Cleary.

“Yeah, I’ve heard it’s done,” Sullivan told TVLine on the PaleyFest red carpet. “They were gonna try [to do a third season], but I’ve heard it’s done.”

The Knick Season 2 Chris Sullivan Tom ClearyThe Knick ended on a bit of a cliffhanger, with Owen’s drug-addled surgeon Dr. Thackery performing an operation on himself in the Season 2 finale and nearly dying on the operating table. And the show was a critical darling, earning a Peabody Award, a Golden Globe nomination for Owen and two Emmy nods for director Steven Soderbergh. But Sullivan doesn’t mind if The Knick‘s sudden demise leaves us wanting more.

“I kind of love that British style: two seasons of tight, compact, good television,” he said. “The more episodes you have, the thinner the episodes get. So I kind of dig that.”

The network did order a script for a possible Season 3 premiere, and Soderbergh even said last July he was still planning to do a third season. But with the last episode airing way back in December 2015 and cast members like Sullivan moving on to new projects, it seems safe to say The Knick is headed for the TV morgue.

Sullivan now stars as Kate’s boyfriend Toby on NBC’s hit family drama This Is Us, and he looks and sounds so different — clean-shaven, no Irish accent — that even The Knick fans don’t recognize him. But he still credits the Cinemax drama with kick-starting his acting career: “I was very proud of that show. And everything I’ve done since then is directly because of that show. So I’m very thankful to Steven Soderbergh and the whole crew.”

The Knick fans: Are you bummed there won’t be a Season 3? Or was it time to lay it to rest? Drop your thoughts in a comment below.

1. Hamish says:

Well, it would be done for *him*, anyway; the third season was supposed to start a new story with a new cast…

2. leah says:

I loved the character of Tom Cleary. Sullivan did such a great job with him and his accent. He was a very grey, sometimes cruel and intimidating but he had a softer side with his nun bestie. I’ll miss the show mostly because he made it awesome.

3. N says:

I loved the knick, and i have to say that if its never coming back, i don’t mind how it ended. I think it was the right way to go out and it kind of lets fans make up there own mind as to whether or not Thackery made it.

4. Al says:

Didn’t Cinemax announced a few months ago that they want to return making the type of action shows they did in the past, like Strike Back? The Knick and Quarry are definitely cancelled.

5. Jim says:

“Nearly” dying? Did I miss something? I thought that it was pretty well conveyed he died, no?

6. Selinda says:

I am very disappointed there will not be a third season.

7. Rosemarie Baker Borington says:

I can’t believe this! This was the best show, full of drama and details and history. I am done and I’m done with Cinemax too! I hope they reconsider and at least give some kind of closure with a final episode. Just shaking my head in disbelief and disappointment!

8. Larry says:

Loved the show and bummed its no longer on

9. Denise Overby says:

Totally bummed. This was one the best series I have ever watched. I only watch a limited amount of TV. The Knick, like Madmen and a few others brought TV series up a level and more.
    Clive Owens was amazing, as well as the rest of the cast. As a Nurse since 1976 and nurse practitioner since 1999, not only the medical accuracy but emotional component and bruality of medical systems were on point. It made me realize not much has changed since 1900. There are only a few with intermittent shining moments when healthcare providers fight the good fight and really endeavor to honor patient care and for the most part “do no harm”.
    I am Really disappointed that it is not returning, leaving viewers such as myself with less to look forward to in a TV series. In my opinion there is so much junk out there and only a select few worthy of watching.
    For now, only Outlander on Starzz, is on my plate, but having read the books since the first one was published, I may be biased. I loved the books so much and it is rare for a moviegoer or TV series to come up to par in terms delivering the accuracy and detail of a book (especially a big time historical reader such as myself). Outlander excells in the delivery as described.
    Although not a book (that i am aware of) but in all aspects i would put The Knick in this category of cinema excellence/royalty. I will miss it terribly.
    Best Regards,
    Denise

10. Nelson says:

I was really hoping for more but where it ended seemed a good place to leave each of the characters especially Harriet and Cleary and Cornelia.

11. Jen A. says:

I’m definitely bummed. I really enjoyed every character and every storyline. It was a terrific show that was beautifully shot and cast.

12. B. Hanson says:

B. says” I’ve been wait! ing for better news. The Knick was a great series..albeit much too short!!
    I watched it on Netflix discs via U.S. mail. The “special features” included on the discs gave great insights into production. And the actors discussing episodes was always a peek into their take on characters and scenes. Fun to listen to them banter back & forth!
    Such a well done series! “Every “T” was crossed. Every “I” dotted.
    Well done. Thank You for the great work, one and all!

13. Julia Urban-Kimmerley says:

Yes I am extremely disappointed that it’s not coming for season 3! There was so much to work with script wise with the characters where they left off. I was TRULY looking forward to so many possibilities of could’ve been being answered. .. :(

• Danny says:

Really bugs me they’re not continuing this fine series. Really loved the time period, costumes, buildings etc. And fantastic actors. Was really curious if thackery would make it through and hoped he would be with Lucy. Would also like to see more from the past from doctor thackery (on that island with the deseases).
      Another good show that ended too soon.
      Please reconsider guys and make at least two more seasons.

14. Frances Echols says:

I am devestated not seeing more seasons. I mean more. Not only the historical aspect, but dropping all of those facts around a medicalback drop. It is important for us all to see our history. The immigration aspect, the plight of African Americans, women issues, all of this with people showing their greed, humanity and inhumanity, OMG it is superb. Seeing the development of medical procedures and instruments. I hope you reconsider this show. I

15. Sylvia D says:

WHATTT!???!! How can you not bring back The Knick but America’s Got Talent, The Voice, and 500 sucky reality shows are??!! Not only was the show and the acting great but it was a wonderful history lesson!! I loved comparing the differences in how things were vs are while also noticing how much the same some things still are! Please bring it back!!

Sylvia D

16. I’m a surgeon, doctor in philosophy of science, and The Knick was a superb show. It’s a disgrace that the lay persons didn’t find its historical and dramatical value. Soderbergh is one of the greatest masters in visual narrative as demomstrated in every single episode. Shame Cinemax.

17. Aubrey says:

The knick was an amazing show i have kept cinemax just waiting for the next season, the show must go on i cant just be left with the last episode the charecters were amazing keep it going PLEASE

18. Danny Caballero says:

Finally an amazing show set in the early 1900’s! How can you end it after only 2 seasons ?! I felt as though the characters were starting to bloom.
    Come on give us a 3rd season!

19. Rosanne Caughman says:

The Knick was an informative look back in medical history. Made you realize how lucky we are to be living in this medical age. I will miss this show,it is a mistake to cancel in my opinion.