Post Mortems
Flash Barry Iris Engaged

Flash's Grant Gustin, Candice Patton Open Up About the Latest 'WestAllen' Development, Tears That Were Shed

The following contains spoilers from this Tuesday’s episode of The Flash.

As The Flash‘s musical crossover with Supergirl drew to a close on Tuesday night, the CW series served up a coda that, as promised by cast members, was “beautiful” in every way.

Having been rescued from the Music Meister’s alternate reality by the power of love, Barry returned to the loft and cued up one last tune — the ballad “Runnin’ Home to You,” which he sang to Iris before proposing anew, and successfully.

The re-proposal was “very, very sweet,” Candice Patton told TVLine during our recent visit to the set. Couple it with “a beautiful song” penned by La La Land‘s Academy Award-winning Benj Pasek and Justin Paul, and you get a moment that was “just simple and so romantic,” the actress adds. “I liked this proposal better than the one that we’ve already seen.”

RELATED The Flash @ PaleyFest: Season 4’s Big Bad, Savitar Clues and More

Series lead Grant Gustin tells TVLine that Barry popping the question again was “really easy in a way,” teed up as it was by such an apropos tune. “What I love about musical theater is that it really elevates Flash Barry Iris Engagedeverything. It makes you feel what we want you to feel in a more easy fashion.”

Pasek and Paul — whom Gustin has known since they held a workshop at his college years ago — “wrote a near-perfect song,” says the Flash star. “They clearly knew the background of the relationship and the characters,” so much so that “I think it could be a theme song for Flash, honestly. I felt very lucky to sing it, and I think it did a lot of the work for me, in a way.”

Perhaps, but there should be no discounting Gustin’s performance during the emotional climax, while Patton with little effort reflected the look of a woman falling in love to a brand-new degree, as the ballad’s beneficiary. “It did feel special to shoot,” Gustin says. “No one had heard the song yet, no one had heard me sing it…. Candice had never even heard it [and] she was in tears after the proposal in the rehearsal. It got a round of applause from the crew, which doesn’t happen. It was a special episode for everybody.”

As for what’s next for fiancé and fiancée, it’s only understandable that actual wedding bells might be a ways off, while Team Flash continues to do what it can to keep the bride-to-be alive and all!

“The only time we really see wedding planning brought up, it’s in the sense that we haven’t been focusing on it,” Gustin shares. “[Saving Iris] is obviously an all-consuming thing: How do we beat this? How do we prevent this from happening? So, we see Barry and Iris get back to their relationship, but it’s tense. It’s a hard time for both of them right now.” (With additional reporting by Vlada Gelman)

The Flash – Music From The Special Episode: Duet is available on iTunes.

Want more scoop on The Flash, or for any other show? Email InsideLine@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Alexis says:

Everything about this episode was perfect. It was corny yet beautiful and what the show needed. And that song at the end when Barry was singing to Iris, I was legit bawling. Powerful performances all around. And yay WestAllen is engaged for real now

2. Emily says:

This episode was EVERYTHING! Loved Music Meister, loved the 40s look, and WESTALLEN MY BABIES. Grant killed the final song and Candice and I both died.

3. wgsecretary says:

My only complaint is I wanted more songs! Barry and Kara didn’t sing enough!

4. tony kooper says:

Easily the worst episode ever for this show.

• Wee says:

It was definitely one of the best. Just because you might not like a musical doesn’t mean it wasn’t a great episode. It was. From start to finish. Everything doesn’t always need to be action.

• Steven says:

you must hate happiness

• Calista Flockhart says:

The only thing Barry proved tonight is that he should be a member of a boy-band rather than the justice league.

• Jim says:

I kind of agree. I love the idea, but the execution was terrible. Just very underwhelming. Why didn’t they just camp it up and have fun with the whole thing? It was soooooooo serious. The only great part was Kara’s line about “if you’re not in time you can just go back in time and try again!” and Barry’s “actually I’m not supposed to do that anymore.” The rest of it was a snoozefest. Bummer.

• Jim says:

Also the lip synching was terrible from everyone other than Melissa.

5. jrex says:

Best episode ever!

6. jade4813 says:

This was a great episode and that last song nearly ended me.

7. Ingrid says:

I am honestly surprised at how much I enjoyed this episode! Of course the highlight was everything WestAllen : Iris’ kiss saving his life, Barry singing Running Home To You and then the re-proposal I DIED!!! It was perfect in every way

8. TvPeong says:

When are they going to do the next one?

9. Lauren says:

I am an emotional mess. This was everything I needed in my life.

10. Tamara says:

I was skeptical at first but Candice encouraged viewers to tune in so I watched. Must say the episode was beautifully done. The Flash/Supergirl cast is so incredibly talented. Honestly it was hard to take it all in, it’s definetly a rewatch episode. Last scene with Barry and Iris, him singing Run Home to You, has to be the most memorable, touching thing I’ve seen on TV ever.

11. James D says:

I mean how can you say no after that. very sweet episode. Grant and Melissa are both very talented.

12. Jennifer says:

Well, as both a fan of DC superheroes and musical theatre, this episode was perfection for me. And as someone who has been seriously disappointed by this season of “The Flash” overall, I am over the moon that there was a return to the witty dialogue we grew accustomed to in the first couple of seasons. Best of all: no Savitar!

13. abz says:

I LOVED IT! Easily one of the best episodes this season. Anything that brings Barry and Kara together is an automatic win for me. Grant Gustin and Melissa Benoist have so much chemistry that they are just great together on screen. The entire cast was great even Darren Criss I thought did a good job and I liked the twist at the end with him not being evil.
    My only wish is that they would have had Jeremy Jordan sing more. The man’s voice is amazing. It made me SMASH a bit.
    I hope they do another one at some point. It always surprises me how much people actually hate musicals. I get some people disliking them, but some people just flat out openly despise them. I always wonder why. I just think they’re great and fun and with such a musically gifted cast, I’m glad they did it.

14. Angelfan says:

Enjoyed it…but the Super Friends song made me cringe.

15. ndixit says:

Honestly, Grant and Melissa have a very special type of chemistry. They could have been a great romantic pairing if they were on the same show but despite only a handful of eps appearing together, they totally convince as best friends that hang out together.

16. datdudemurphy says:

I was looking forward to this, and after “Put a Little Love In Your Heart “, my hopes were raised.

Then, the rest of the episode just kinda fell flat for me.

Glad so many others enjoyed it tho.

17. Sigh, Barry and Iris… I love them so much.I’m still basking in the glow of that beautiful proposal.

18. JJ says:

Greg Berlanti should produce a tv series of musical with all these talents Love Grant’s tap dance moves and his voice was awesome

19. Phun says:

Great episode. And that last song where Barry sings to Iris had me in tears.

20. safistikaytdlayd says:

Love this episode!!! That final scene had me bawling like a baby!!! Love WESTALLEN!!! Now THAT is how you propose to your lady love Barry!!!***drops the mic*** lol!!! Love it!!!

21. Mo says:

Since the bar is so low for this season all the ep needed to make me happy was to give me happy, competent Barry. One out of two is better than nothing. And the faux drama of Barry/Iris continues to prove how manufactured they are. Since when did Music Meister become Q of the DCCWverse? Other than Barry & Kara the ep was blah.

22. Brigid says:

I really enjoyed this episode. I actually wish there was more singing but that last scene with Barry singing to Iris was one of the most touching scenes and the most beautiful proposal I’ve ever seen. Incredible!!!!!

23. Diana says:

That proposal was so beautifully romantic!

24. Tarra says:

I was on the fence about this musical crossover but it was enjoyable. Kara and Barry are so adorable and I love their friendship. The second proposal was so beautiful. I didn’t think Barry could outdo the first and he did. Never sleep on Barry Allen when it comes to expressing his love for Iris West. Next stop: Westallen wedding.

25. Amah Lydia says:

What a beautiful proposal!! omg i cried. WESTALLAN,so amazing i love them so much.but kara and mon el gosh! i don’t see any chemistry

26. herman1959 says:

THANK YOU. OMG, Grant killed those high notes

27. herman1959 says:

THANK YOU. OMG, Grant killed those high notes!

28. Erica says:

It was a Glee reunion

29. Stephen says:

I loved the episode. Jeremy Jordan killed it and Carlos Valdes was no slouch either. What I especially enjoyed were the little nods to the plots of past shows, especially in “Super Friends.” Rachel Bloom must be a true fan of both shows. And the other little touches like Barry being unable to contain his enthusiasm during “Put a Little Love in Your Heart” (gotta love enthusiastic Barry) and the look on Kara’s face when she sees Barry just as she sings my huckleBarry friend.

Yes, I think a little of the romantic drama leading up to this episode was a little forced on both shows, but the payoff was satisfying. And now I want to see a real musical set in the 40’s with all of these cast members in it. I had a similar feeling after Buffy’s “Once More With Feeling” but there I wanted to see a full-blown musical written by Joss Whedon.

Oh… There’s an idea. Have Joss write a Broadway musical and have Grant, Melissa, Jeremy, Carlos, et al star in it. It would be a hit for sure.

30. Flashrow says:

I don’t like the episode it all except for the propose. It was such a mess. I don’t know how do they know the name of Music Meister and how was exactly his purpose or how do they know all the thing about them? Anything makes sense.

31. Elvira says:

I LOVED season 3 of The Flash, it was AMAZING and emotional. The episode called “Duet” made me cry at the end. It was AWSOME. Cara and Berry have AMAZING voices. I can’t wait to see what comes next and keep up the good work!