Chris Messina Cast Sharp Objects HBO Gillian Flynn Amy Adams

Chris Messina to Join Amy Adams in HBO's Sharp Objects Adaptation

Chris Messina has a new Project to work on.

The Mindy Project star has joined Amy Adams in the cast of HBO’s upcoming eight-episode drama Sharp Objects, according to our sister site Deadline. Based on Gone Girl author Gillian Flynn’s novel, Objects stars Adams as reporter Camille Preaker, who returns to her hometown after a stint in a mental hospital to investigate the murder of two preteen girls. Messina will play detective Richard Willis, who’s investigating the crime as well — and whose personal life gets tangled up with Preaker’s.

Marti Noxon (UnREAL) is writing the pilot, and will pen the remaining episodes along with Flynn. Jean-Marc Vallée, fresh off directing Big Little Lies for the network, will helm all eight episodes.

This news means Messina’s Mindy Project character — Mindy’s ex and baby daddy, Danny Castellano — will likely be even more scarce on the Hulu comedy. After four seasons as a series regular, he dropped down to recurring for Season 5 and has only appeared in a pair of episodes this season. His other TV credits include The Newsroom, Damages and Six Feet Under.

1. Jordan says:

Is this a limited series? Or an anthology series? Or how will this show be a regular series beyond the first season?

• Amelia says:

It’s a limit series. 8 episodes and that’s it.

• mary says:

So there isn’t a chance of a second season?

I have to say this casting really makes me think very little of Messina as he apparently broke a contract to do movies, so if he can’t keep his commitment to a show that made it so you knew who the heck he was just to go onto another long running series then well he’s “special.”

If there is no chance of a second season and its a mini series then ok thats basically a movie, I still think he should honor his contract but whatever hasn’t hurt the show.

• dude says:

The book it’s based on, is a very thin murder mystery so I don’t think there’s much room beyond the eight episodes commissioned. Besides, Amy Adams likely wouldn’t want to commit herself to more than that.

• mary says:

That is a good point about Amy Adams she is a huge star that gets Oscar movies every year.

Thanks for explaining the story to me, never heard of this book.

• militantgod says:

Exactly. the novel is pretty self contained so it’s highly doubtful they’d come back for a second season…unless the show it’s absolutely huge, and they offer Adams, a crazy, crazy, amount of money…but I seriously doubt it.

2. dude says:

I found the book cliche and predictable but judging from the talent involved in front of and behind the camera, I am hopeful the show can improve on its source material.

• Michaela says:

I agree. I didn’t love the book, but will probably check out at least the first episode based on the casting alone.
      I reas the book a while a while ago, so correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought these charters were significantly younger than these actors

3. I’m curious who will be cast as Amy’s mother?