Bull Season 2 Renewed CBS Michael Weatherly

Bull to Switch Showrunners as CBS Nears a Season 2 Renewal

CBS’ Bull has a new man in charge… which sets the stage for a possible Season 2.

TV veteran Glenn Gordon Caron is taking over as showrunner of the freshman legal drama, according to a report from our sister site Deadline — but only if the series, starring NCIS alum Michael Weatherly as a high-priced jury consultant, returns for a second season. Caron will join Bull for the remainder of Season 1 as a consultant, with current showrunner Mark Goffman transitioning to a development role at season’s end.

This is a great sign for Bull‘s renewal chances, which were pretty strong in any case; our very own handy-dandy Renewal Scorecard currently has Bull as “a sure thing.” CBS hasn’t announced any renewals for its freshman slate yet, but Bull has been a steady performer on Tuesday nights — even while going up against NBC’s juggernaut This Is Us — pulling in 10.3 million total viewers in its latest airing.

Caron has been a primetime staple for decades: He created the ’80s ABC classic Moonlighting, led by Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepherd, along with the long-running Patricia Arquette procedural Medium. Most recently, he was an executive producer on FX’s Tyrant.

You be the judge: Has Bull earned a Season 2 renewal? Drop your thoughts in a comment below.

1. TDXI says:

Michael Weatherly must have a little laugh to himself at how badly NCIS has gone since he left.

• Haz says:

Yeah I finally gave up and dropped it when they had the last NOLA crossover. The characters do not mesh, Quinn is supposed to be a seasoned agent who has known Gibbs for a few years and they seem like strangers. I’m not sure why the MI6 agent was even added to the cast considering he never appears. As much as I do not care for the Bishop character I could tolerate her scenes however the show has too many characters and they do not work well at all and Esposito is being wasted. I will say Weatherly was smart by moving on from NCIS because his character was being under utilized but I just cannot get into Bull. Maybe I’ll try again next season.

• ndixit says:

Why would he? The better NCIS does, the better his own show does given that Bull is dependent on the NCIS lead in.

• claudiagail says:

First, from everything I have read Weatherly remains good friends with cast and crew of NCIS, and has never given any indication that he would like to see his former show fail. But more importantly, I don’t understand why people think NCIS is on its last legs. Have you seen broadcast ratings lately? NCIS remains CBS’ highest rated drama, both in the demo and in total viewers. The show was given a two year renewal in order to introduce a whole new dynamic without the pressure of worrying about the ratings. Certainly there have been rough patches, not to speak of the unexpected death of the show’s runner, but the show is really starting to hit its stride in terms of the new characters.

• Janet Cooper says:

Well, there’s a certain fraction out there of “fans”, ( and I use THAT word very loosely), who do their Happy Dance when the demo isn’t at the top. They also believe that bringing Tony and Ziva back is the only thing that should be done. Sadly, they also believe they are speaking for everyone. I’m sure Mr. Weatherly is very happy being the main star of his own show. His show is in the sweet spot between both NCIS and NCIS:NO and he is still very good friends with everyone involved with these shows. It’s sad and pathetic how these certain people feel the need to rush in and badmouth NCIS because they didn’t get their way. SMDH

• claudiagail says:

This!

• Paige says:

Agree 100%. The “fans” also point to ratings from certain episodes 4 years ago to prove their point with zero cognitive ability to grasp the way we watch tv shows has changed drastically in just the past three years. Those viewing measures are not part of the Nielsen ratings.

• I agree totally. I think it is sad for some “fans” who believe that a show is “theirs, and theirs alone”, and who seem to wrap too much of their sense of meaning in these shows. I love all of the NCIS stable and Bull too. But it is entertainment, not mine or any one else’s life. Enjoy while you can! Nothing ever lasts.

2. kmw says:

Showrunner change or not Bull was going to be renewed. It wasn’t performing at NCIS levels but it hung in there against This is Us and CBS seems happy with it

3. MMD says:

I truly tried to like this show because I like Michael Weatherly but I couldn’t get past the Dr. Phil and Jay McGraw connections which totally ruined it for me. I totally gave up after a couple of episodes and I don’t think a new showrunner is going to change anything for me. It had a big built in core viewership from Dr. Phil, (a zit on the psychology field), NCIS and Weatherly fans so it not being renewed would be a total shock. Also to my complete surprise and shock I’m not missing Weatherly on NCIS at all.

Different strokes I guess………………..

• Jerri says:

Aw c’mon! Don’t insult zits by comparing them to Doc Phill.
      I wonder if the show would do as well in ratings if it weren’t following NCIS?

• Paige says:

Sadly, I don’t think the ratings would hold. It’s in between two NCIS shows and gets that massive benefit. I’m wondering if the new SEAL drama will take Bull’s spot next season.

• MMD says:

Sorry Jerri – didn’t mean to insult zits – how about I use the word boil instead? :-)

• ndixit says:

Why can’t you get past those connections? I mean apart from being a trial consultant, the character is nothing like Dr. Phil so that seems like a self inflicted block. If you find it just uninteresting, then that’s definitely up to you but those connections are very very loose at best.

• MMD says:

Dr. Phil and Jay McGraw are both ex-producers and Dr. Phil is credited with creating it.Using their production company is not a loose connection not is the money they make. As I said above, I really like Weatherly, but could not get into this show. I also made the comment different strokes……………… Everyone is not going to enjoy the same shows,

• darkangel200 says:

It really has nothing to do with Dr Phil, but some won’t give it a chance because of that. Too bad as it’s a well written/acted show with an interesting premise. To each their own.

4. tjchurch2001 says:

Thus is a BAD thing! “Nashville” added long-time TV staffers, the series made it to another network, & within a month, had all viewers regretting it.

5. Bev says:

I love Bull. I think it is a great show. I like how they match the fake jury to the real jury

6. Tracy Travis says:

I enjoy watching Bull and I look forward to Tuesday nights. Unfortunately, NCIS is no longer must see…too many characters, not a Bishop fan, miss tough and gruff Gibbs, and miss Very Special Agent Anthony Dinozzo. That said, I enjoy Michael Weatherly in his new role of Jason Bull. I don’t connect him at all to Dr. Phil. I also enjoy the supporting cast. Hoping it gets renewed!

7. Yvonne Green says:

Definitely keep Bull

8. Anandasky says:

Would love to see a bit more from each of the characters and a new stylist for the show. The whole feel is a bit too subdued at the moment, but it feels like all the piece parts are there for it to take off.

9. Chris Coombes says:

,it’s my opinion that the show “Bull” should have been nothing more than a movie of the week. All the shows are basically the same premise. Yes, different storylines but the same thing every week. It’s like the movie “Runaway Jury” every week.

10. Jim J. says:

Should “Bull” move to Thursdays at 10 if the renewal becomes official because two of their new dramas that aired in the timeslot this season (“Pure Genius” and “Training Day”) had poor ratings and are unlikely to return?

11. GLEN HILTON says:

I love the show and Michael Weathey. I was when he left NCIS, but really like him in his new show. I hope they renew the show.

12. Lynda C. says:

The only reason I’ve watched the show is because it had Michael Weatherly in it from NCIS and I love him that’s the only reason that I’ve watched it if he goes then I go. And I’ll just bet that’s the way it is with other beers to

13. Jane Hevel says:

I don’t think it should be renewed. It showed promise at first but now it’s boring

14. Mallory D. Brooks says:

Clearly, you are not stating that Michael Weatherly is being replaced by someone else, because I would rather see him fail than see a backup ultimately try to assume him place and fail. Characters are created, and then killed off. If a character changes, so shall the storyline, then the story or series.

15. Sandy Bechdel says:

Wasn’t sure I would like Bill, but I think it is an awesome show. It definitely should be renewed.

16. Robert says:

I miss Tony and ziva drop bull

17. Anonymous says:

Love it. BULL yea Perfect cast selections and story lines. Still like NCIS and the cast. Still about entertainment and I’m entertained with both shows with their differences.

18. I really like Bull, it is a perfect vehicle for Weatherly and a great supporting cast as well. Fingers crossed for season two. I hope ti does not go off course with unneeded complication and maintains it’s straightforward, cast oriented while working a case formula.

19. Gabrielle says:

Yes yes yes! Season two please! Perfect replacement in my life for Lie To Me.

20. Marsha says:

Love the show “Bull”, especially with Michael leading the charge. Want to see more.

21. Susan says:

Yes definitely! Totally something else and really enjoyed it.

22. Marion says:

Love the show and cast. Bring on season 2 PLEASE

23. Gerry Geraghty says:

I find it refreshing to see Michael’s new persona which in my opinion is outstanding performance. This fits him like a glove. I really looked forward to Tuesday nights. Face it is confidence and flirtatious ways make him who he really is. Tony had the same persona but Jason Bull carries is role alone without Gibbs. Looking forward to Season 2

24. John Bernhardt says:

By all means renew Bull!

25. SamofSherwood says:

I’m currently watching 1×21 after a huge binge watch this weekend & now I’m worried, Quantico has gone to the dogs with a new showrunner, I hope Bull doesn’t go the same way.

26. Lisa says:

I really enjoy Bull. It’s unique storyline has a fast pace. Love it.

P.S. ditto on the NCIS comment. Only saying this because I have been a loyal NCIS fan but what’s up with all the new characters.

27. Pam says:

Please bring back Bull!

28. Judy calkins says:

Definitely should be renewed

29. Cruz Alonzo says:

Absolutely I love this program can hardly wait to see it!

30. Margie says:

I love both NCIS and Bull.
    Michael Weatherly’s acting qualities are fantastic…Always have liked him. I hope both shows stay successful. Good luck to both.

31. Jamie Harju says:

Jason Bull is over the top at times but Watherley realy makes it happen. Great supporting cast, and script writers. Looking forward to more next season.

32. Gwendolyn Smith says:

I liked him in NCIS, Bull does not hold my interest.

33. Pamela Glenn says:

I absolutely loved the show. Such a different plot. Yeah!!!