Scream Season 3 Reboot Eyed at MTV

MTV is on the verge of rebooting a reboot.

The basic cabler is in the very early stages of completely overhauling Scream — and if all goes according to plan, would feature an all new cast and storyline when it returns for Season 3.

Per our sister site Deadline, the revamped series would be unlikely to make references to the events and characters of Seasons 1 and 2. The cast that populated the first two seasons has already been granted permission to look for other work; Willa Fitzgerald, who played Emma Duvall, has jumped to another TV reboot, booking a series regular gig on Fox’s potential Behind Enemy Lines adaptation.

The search for a new showrunner is also underway, with Season 2 showrunners Michael Gans and Richard Register no longer associated with the teen thriller. Gans and Register previously replaced Jill Blotevogal and Jaime Paglia, who were at the helm during Season 1.

Despite being under new management, MTV is said to be deeply committed to keeping the Scream franchise alive — hence the reboot. An abbreviated third season consisting of a mere six episodes was ordered back in October.

Have at it, Scream fans: On a scale of 1-10, how disappointed are you to learn that the drama will essentially be starting from scratch upon its return?

1. Dave says:

So…that big cliffhanger at the end of season two will just go completely unanswered. Hmm.

• Steveo says:

Yup.

If this is how they treat the fans, I won’t be back.

• Andrew says:

@ Steven – Same here.

Also, did they even film any of the 6 episodes that were ordered after the Halloween special aired last year?

There’s no point in resetting the location/storyline if they’re only given 6 episodes.

How stupid. I won’t be watching.

• Fabrizia says:

I just wanted Emma to die.

• Jeff C says:

Same lol

• rinaex says:

Same here. I resent being deprived of that.

• Bobby says:

They messed up. Kieran was way more charismatic and likable than Emma who was a total b*tch the entire season and then they kill him off and keep Emma. That was it, the end. Should have killed her off when they had the chance, no one liked her or Maggie who was most likely going to end up being the ’94 killer and go out that way.

• Bobby says:

Kieran and Brooke were the two only characters out of the “kids” that were charismatic enough to build on. Emma and Audrey both evil and Noah always just a sidekick.

2. JCPrime1 says:

I’m at an 11. I’d have rathered cancelation. They could at least have finished the current storyline.

3. Eddie says:

Consider how well Horror anthologies are currently doing… on one hand, you have American Horror Story heading into, what, season 7, on the other hand, Scream Queens season two seemed to underwhelm… and both from Ryan Murphy??

• Becky says:

Ryan Murphy suffers from an inability to write and produce quality storylines for more than one show at a time… Shonda Rimes suffers from the same condition..

4. Guy says:

The only character I cared about at all was Brooke. Other than her, I don’t mind that we won’t see the rest of the cast again.

5. padraicjacob says:

I could be down for this. I mean the show as it presently existed really had nothing to do with the movies except name very small things (mother has secret past, there’s a reporter (podcaster), and in the end the boyfriend did it). If they could take the things that worked in the first season of scream queens and pretty little liars, and maybe set the reboot in Woodsboro even, they might be able to make it work

6. Diz says:

Literally only watched for Bex Taylor-Klaus. Bye Scream.

7. Big Mike says:

Complete and total bullshirt.

8. TV Fanatic says:

To be honest, I always thought that MTV missed the mark in choosing not to make the show an anthology series with a new crop of characters and killer every season. Still plan on sticking around, but would love a larger third season.

9. Haz says:

With Wes Craven no longer being with us plus the fact it’s not Scream without Ghostface…I say let it be and do something new.

10. SUSO says:

Well, they can say goodbye to their six remaining viewers.

11. Olivia says:

I see MTV is going hardcore at trying to complete its transformation into BSTV.

Who needs resolution anyway, right. Thanks for nothing, I guess.

12. Reavaria says:

Use the six episodes to wrap up the series and then cancel. I am a long standing Wes Craven fan my disappointment in MTV is Tilt if this ends on this note.

13. Adam says:

I would have had no problem with them having a new cast every season, but i do have a problem with them ending it on a cliffhanger.

14. brandy says:

Wow. Why couldn’t they wrap up the story with the last episodes??

15. Scott says:

So can we get Ghostface back and somehow make it a continuation of Scream 1-4?

16. Ken says:

Complete and utter disappointment. At least MTV could do is finish this story with those 6 episodes before revamping it. As it stands now, I will not watch. I’m completely angered and feel betrayed by MTV doing this especially after all of those unanswered storylines and cliffhanger. Thanks for nothing MTV. You suck.

17. Brad says:

Honestly I agree with a change of cast but I’d advise any changes be made after the cliffhanger is dealt with and I think a good idea would be have this be in woodsboro and have it be the children of the original movie cause if u do.that stl at it’ll closer follow the movies not this Brandon James Crap that makes no stinking sense at all

18. Erick Voshel says:

Scream, they’re willing to reboot entirely, but not Teen Wolf? Something’s wrong here. MTV is perfectly willing to keep Scream & give it a whole new story-line with new characters, but pulled the plug on Teen Wolf when they could have given that show a total overhaul as well with a new story-line as well as a whole new cast for a potential season 7?

19. Amy says:

12. Like other comments, I don’t mind the cast changing as much as the issue of unresolved cliffhangers. If they were going to do this, they could have wrapped up the story with the Halloween episode.

20. justice says:

Too little to late. Sounds like they are keeping the behind the scenes talent, so what difference does it make?

21. Rose Marie Rose says:

The fans pushed for Season 3 because we want more Emma, Audrey, Brooke and Noah. Mtv has done the fans wrong and the cast wrong. I won’t be watching any Scream that does not include Bex Taylor-Klaus and the original cast.

22. Theresa says:

This is bs. They leave us hanging and get rid of characters we love. What a joke! 200/10 I’m disappointed they can go stick it. I just might not watch it myself!

23. Cody Drennen says:

Big fan of the Scream show and I will be fine with it. I didn’t like the Halloween special at all so a new cast could freshen the show up.

24. Emily says:

don’t they realize its the characters that make a show. sure, they can find another great new cast. but theirs no guarantee all scream fans will stick around to watch. and theirs also no guarantee that we will actually like the new cast

25. Jason says:

I’m completely fine with turning the show into an anthology, but only after they wrap up what they already started. If they don’t, I’m not going to watch on principal alone.

26. James says:

Honestly, MTV WTF? You invest two years on a series and its characters only for the channel to be like: “Oh, we don’t like it anymore. Let’s change everything without prior notice.” It’s an insult. At least finish the Brandon James story in some way!
    Besides, what are they tring to revamp? It’s not like they’re suddenly going to get an award winning show on their channel. I’m sure their definition of reboot is: more teen angst and love triangles. Netflix should get the rights to Scream or just let the franchise rest for a while. With Wes gone, the only one who could do something worth watching (be it a movie or a tv series) is Kevin Williamson. Hope MTV is thinking about him, but I shouldn’t get my expectations that high.

27. datdudemurphy says:

I’m still mad about Finding Carter and Faking It….. screw MTV

28. Anne says:

I actually think that’s smart. A different high school, in a different city. It would be a great way to honour the franchise. As long as it retains its “screamness”, I’m down with it.

29. Ash says:

Have zero interest in the show without the current cast. While I might not care for a couple of characters, there are ones I truly love and if they’re not back, I won’t be either.

30. Jennifer Bowman says:

I’m very disappointed that it’ll be starting over and that it’ll probably be a lot of new people. I love this series! I made sure i watched it every time it came on. My oldest son and i watched it faithfully!!! I don’t understand why they would change everything….and only do six episodes 😫

31. Ally says:

Ughhhhhhhhhh ! So pissed off !!! There are so many unanswered things ! Why create a TV show, gauge an audience , deliberately create characters / a story line for the audience to connect with (the whole purpose) , end the season with questions that are going to be answered and cut it off ! BAD decision ! The true fans who waited every week for a new episode to come out , who have supported the show and made them successful will he truly disappointed and can guarrentee that the will go elsewhere !

32. Lois says:

Yeah I’m in the ‘this is BS’ camp. The whole reason we wanted a season 3 was because we like the character we have and wanted to see the questions resolved. Sure, we can make assumptions that Emma’s dad was the original killer and killed Kieran, but none of the characters know that. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to come back to the show if they do this, I love Brooke/Audrey/Noah too much.

33. abalunda says:

10 so disappointed!!!

34. Anna says:

Disappointment: Out of ten….Probably 96.

35. Melissa B. says:

This is complete crap. They want more viewers so they’re going to do a reboot…but in doing so, they’re going to lose most of the fans they already had that were watching for the characters and storylines we already know. I’m not interested in a new cast or setting/storyline. I want to know what was going to happen next with Brandon James. So stupid. MTV just continues to disappoint. Why do I bother anymore??

36. Sean Reilly says:

just happy it’s continuing

37. Shayne says:

If you’re going to a reboot you need to kill off the remaining cast and leave a huge cliffhanger for the New Scream.. Or who will make it to the new scream reboot maybe a returning face or two.. Needless to say bring back Ghostface it’s time for the franchise to be back on track again!!

38. Kaitlyn Davis says:

Please to God keep this show going. My daughter and me love it. Alot of our shows over the past year has been cancelled. Fingers crossed for this one.

39. Jenn says:

I think they should keep the scream story going with the actors from the first two seasons that’s the only reason I want to keep watching to see what is going to happen to Miss Emma Duvaul

40. Ari says:

I will be frustrated but not disappointed. Frustrated because I am deeply attached to the series so I care about the entire backstory- who was the original killer, who checked in as ‘James’etc. But not disappointed because I just love thrillers like Scream and I’ll just develop a new attachment with the reboot.

41. Angel says:

I’m not completely against a reboot but do agree that the cliffhangers need to be answered. At least take 15-20 mins of the first episode (season 3) to kill off the previous cast. They should keep Brooke though. She has come a long way since the beginning and I honestly see her more of the heroine than Emma. Brooke is the new Sydney in my eyes.

42. jasonx says:

in my opionin this show must end. first two season are pretty watchable, and a third final season would be a right choice, but now??? a reboot??? uhm, wrong decision.

43. Erin says:

How lame. The show was truthfully not great but I got into it because of the characters. So season 3 with a new cast doesn’t interest me at all.

I just wanted Emma and Audrey to stop with the charade and just be lovers already!! Lol.

• roni1133 says:

Me too! In my head canon, that scene at the end of Season 2 with Emma and Audrey at the movies was their first date, and they’ve been together ever since :)

44. I stg I'll fight the producers of s3 says:

I call bull! This can’t be their internetion after finishing season 2 with a massive cliffhanger. Like mate, you can’t do this to me!! Ugh if this actually happens I don’t think many of us fans will be back to watch season 3…

• Pam Glastetter says:

I’m 60 years old and have binge watched SCREAM 1 & 2 on Netflix. I love it and was hoping for a third season,but if you get rid of all cast,suicide😠.

45. Robert says:

I kind of hope that this season will introduce a new cast so we go back to the we don’t know who is safe, maybe combine casts for season 4

46. Ethan Richards says:

THIS IS A JOKE WHY FIX SOMETHING THA DOES NOT NEED TO BE FIXED THIS WILL COMPLETLY RUIN THE SHOW! STOP WITH THIS BULL AND CONTINUE ON WHAT YOU WERE DOING BECAUSE YOU WERE ALL DOING IT RIGHT, DON’ CHANGE SOMETHIONG THAT DOES NOT NEED TO BE CHANGED.

47. Hannah says:

I’m dissapointed but we never going to be like when they do season 3 so I’m kind of curious of what it’s going to be like. Im upset tho that they left the Halloween special on a cliffhanger that I was excited to figure out but oh well. You win some you lose some.

48. Brady Artwohl says:

10. I’m so invested in these characters and there’s unanswered questions !!

49. Heather spears says:

I wont be watching it

50. Charlie Walker says:

it is also possible they’re doing this because not enough viewers cared for the characters. I mean, after all that is what they wanted from the get-go-. For us to care about the characters. Some people liked Emma, Kieran, Eli, and Gustavo. Granted, not as many people watched scream as much as the walking dead, but it’s what they believe they should get. I’m not sure on the anthology theory yet, we could very well just be getting another remake.