Yvette Nicole Brown

Yvette Nicole Brown Joins ABC's Mayoral Comedy Pilot as Series Regular

Yvette Nicole Brown has a side piece lined up in case CBS hands The Odd Couple divorce papers.

The ex-Community actress has joined ABC’s untitled comedy pilot about a struggling hip-hop artist (played by Search Party‘s Brandon Michael Hall) who runs for mayor to promote his mixtape — and wins. Brown will play the newbie mayor’s mother.

The potential series — which also counts Scream Queens‘ Lea Michele among its cast — is in second position to The Odd Couple, which means if CBS renews the struggling sitcom for a fourth season (which seems very unlikely), Brown will be forced to bow out of the ABC gig (assuming it gets ordered to series).

Late Night with Jimmy Fallon producer Jeremy Bronson penned the script for the half-hour project and will serve as an EP alongside former Hamilton co-star Daveed Diggs.

Brown recently signed on to host the new Syfy competition series Cosplay Melee. She’s also a a semi-regular fixture on The Talking Dead and has a recurring role on CBS’ The Young and the Restless. (In other words, she’s a busy girl.)

1. Becca Rothschild says:

She is busy. And she is a woman. She is a busy, talented woman.

2. TV Gord says:

I loved her on Community, I fell in love with her when she explained her concept of God and religion with Chris Hardwick on The Nerdist podcast (and I’m agnostic!), and I cringed through every episode of The Odd Couple. I hope this new project brings her nothing but good things!

3. Big Mike says:

But she had to leave Community early because the hours were too rough….

• Dennis says:

Yeah bc at the time her dad was ill :/ and she had to care for him. Hope all is well now!

• Yvette moved her dad from Cleveland to her home in LA to care for him after NBC canceled Community. When news hit that Yahoo had picked the show up, she declined a return because of the hours she’d need to commit to. Single camera shows like Community can take up to 80 hours a week to complete. A multi camera show like The Odd Couple typically takes half the time to film and the schedule is much more regimented.

• Thanks for the assist, Chris.

For those who still don’t get it, what Chris explained is the exact way it played out for me and Community and The Odd Couple. He is also right about Community’s hours. We shot 80na week. I could not be gone 16 hours a day and properly care for my dad who I had just moved to LA.

He and I are three years in now. I am still his sole-caregiver but he is properly diagnosed and medicated and is doing so much better than when I went home to Ohio to bring him out to LA with me.

As for my new pilot, my family concerns are well-known by everyone at ABC. They all know and respect that my dad comes first. My weekly work load will be scheduled with him in mind. Which was something Community couldn’t do because of the ambitious waynwe jumped between genres almost weekly.

Now that I’ve yet again explained to strangers what those who know my character should have understood, I’m gonna wish you all a happy Friday.

Please remember as you comment that actors are just people and we love and care for our families like you do. May seem weird to choose my dad’s well-being over a Television show but I will always make that decision. Anytime you hear that I’m working on something trust that he was factored in and maybe just be happy that because if that job I can keep taking care of him. That’s the choice I would make. God bless.

4. tjchurch2001 says:

Not all that busy; Like Fallon, number of jobs is high, but quality of work is low. (Just like both former Friends’ Matts, who both went on to CBS to play their old characters over again.

• So you just pop on every site sharing my good news to assert my lack of talent and/or skill in the comment section? HILARIOUS! I guess I better up my quality output JUST for you. You seem REALLY concerned. Lol! I pray you have a blessed day!

5. Joey Padron says:

Happy Yvette got a new tv pilot. I love her since Drake and Josh.