The Expanse Renewed

The Expanse Renewed for Season 3

Syfy will continue to explore The Expanse.

The network has renewed the sci-fi drama for a 13-episode Season 3, slated to air in 2018, it was announced Thursday.

The series — starring Steven Strait (Magic City), Thomas Jane (Hung), Shohreh Aghdashloo (Grimm), Cas Anvar (The Strain) and Chad L. Coleman (The Walking Dead) — takes place across a colonized galaxy 200 years in the future, when two strangers become swept up in a vast conspiracy. It is based on the book series The Expanse, written by Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck (under the pen name James S. A. Corey).

The Expanse is a gorgeous, thrilling, emotional series that has quite simply raised the bar for science fiction on television,” NBCU cable entertainment president Chris McCumber said in a statement. “We, along with the fans, are looking forward to continuing the journey with our partners at Alcon Television Group and the series’ brilliant cast and crew.”

The show’s second season is currently airing Wednesdays at 10/9c on Syfy.

The Expanse fans: What are you hoping to see in Season 3? Drop your thoughts in a comment below.

1. Wonder says:

Shohreh Aghdashloo is the most beautiful women in the world

2. Michael says:

Favorite show. Bar none.

3. Erick Voshel says:

What about the Magicians?

4. Couch Mom says:

YAY!

5. Billy meacham says:

Hopefully syfy renews the magicians for season 3 and I’ll be happy (:

6. Wordsmith says:

Still sad about Incorporated, but this is definitely a step in the right direction. Probably the strongest entry in the surprisingly solid slate they’ve got at the moment. Gone are the days when they relied on cheesy movies-of-the-week and WWE matches.

7. Drew says:

Good news. Syfy taketh (Incorporated, 12 Monkeys) and giveth (The Expanse!) … but as the article mentions I do think The Expanse has raised the bar for sci-fi on TV. It’s one of the best looking sci-fi shows ever, and to me only BSG can rival it for production values.

8. kirads09 says:

Wonder how you say overjoyed in belter? So happy to hear this news.

9. Katherine215 says:

Yay! 12 Monkeys renewal and The Expanse, all in one day! (and yes, I know 12M is also cancelled but I’m happy for the closure.)

10. Temperance says:

Probably my favorite show on TV. Certainly top 3. Amazing TV.

• Zoe says:

Agree. The acting on the show is really good. You see the characters come alive thru the actors. The writing, sound and editing some of the best on TV.
      I want to thank the casting department for looking outside of the box when they picked the actors.

11. Is it too much to ask that people writing for a channel calling itself SyFy know the difference between the galaxy and our solar system? The Expanse (so far) takes place only in our system.

12. Cheyenne says:

Yay! Best show on the TV. I live for Wednesday nights.

13. Brian says:

It took too long since ‘Battlestar’ but its nice to see SyFy has another gripping series set in space. This is one of the best dramas on television right now bar none. Excellent, excellent news of renewal!

14. Carl says:

Well I really hope they bring the plot back on track. Overall, it’s a GREAT show. But they’ve really screwed up Drapper’s character.

15. alf says:

Why, oh why do we have to wait till the next year for season 3?! I mean I could be struck by a lightning and die and not make it till then :)) I read the books, so with that in mind I’m a bit calmer, but still… Shoot, the books are not finished either!!!

16. Zorine says:

One of the best adult SyFy shows I’ve seen. Can hardly wait for season 3. Hope you have more like this coming our way.

17. Nat says:

Best scifi serial since firefly! Please do keep it going.