Emily VanCamp The Resident

Emily VanCamp to Star in Medical Drama Pilot The Resident at Fox

Revenge‘s Emily VanCamp is trading in a red Sharpie for a scalpel, signing on to star in Fox’s medical drama pilot The Resident, TVLine has learned.

The potential series — written and EP’d by Amy Holden Jones (ABC’s Black Box), and Code Black duo Hayley Schore and Roshan Sethi — centers on Devon Pravesh (Halt and Catch Fire‘s Manish Dayal), an idealistic young doctor who begins his first day under the supervision of a tough, brilliant senior resident, Conrad Hawkins (The Good Wife‘s Matt Czuchry), who pulls the curtain back on all of the good and evil in modern day medicine. Lives may be saved or lost, but expectations will always be shattered.

Van Camp will play Nicolette (aka Nic), an attractive nurse who also happens to the on-again-off-again romantic fling of Czuchry’s Conrad.

If The Resident snags a series order, this would be VanCamp’s most significant TV role since Revenge was laid to rest by ABC in 2015.

1. Sandy Moschetti Young says:

I love this actress, have watched everything she has been in. Looking forward to this new show.

2. Matt C. says:

Super excited for this. Emily VanCamp is one of my favorite actresses! I’ve been waiting patiently for her next TV role ever since Revenge ended.

3. VanCamptoAOS says:

She can do better than a probably to be cancelled medical show.

• Jooshua says:

She would be awesome on AoS. As long as she was a major character. I’d love to see her take over as Director.

• Jooshua says:

On second thought though AoS isn’t doing so well ratings wise. She might deserve even better than that. Co-lead with Chris Evans and Anthony Mackie in the inevitable Captain America: Nomad movie perhaps?

4. Amy says:

EVC can do better than a role that is summarised as “an attractive nurse who sleeps with Rory Gilmore’s baby daddy.”

• Jooshua says:

That is exactly what I thought. Even reading the headline I thought “She could do so much better than the lead in some medical drama”. Then I read the article.. what the heck!! She’s just a co-starring love interest?! She’s Emily Thorne!! Her Aunt is Peggy Carter, a founder of SHIELD dammit!!

5. I’m cautiously optimistic about this one. I’ve loved EVC since Everwood and really enjoyed Matt Czuchry on the Good Wife and Gilmore Girls. It could be just another tired medical drama but I will give it a try because of the cast.

6. Daisy says:

what a fricking Hollywood cliche! The men are doctors – the woman is the nurse! She’s better than that…this woman has helmed her own series!

7. SJ says:

Wow, I love her but this is quite a step-down for her. Revenge wasn’t exactly high art, but she had the lead role in that show and I assumed she’d only go for leads from then on. The character’s most interesting “feature” if you can even call it that is that she off-and-on sleeps with her superior? Really?

• Elissa says:

You know, this was my initial thought as well. Then I thought about ER. Juliana Margulies (sp??) was the nurse and I felt she was just as much as a main character as any of the doctors.

8. Tennisnsun says:

I have been looking forward to her eventual return to TV. Not certain the part as described is worthy of her talents, but will take a look. Maybe she can bring Revenge’s Conrad back to life?

9. Phil says:

For a woman who has been a series regular in THREE, four-season long runs of great TV shows, now she’s the girlfriend/nurse?
    Frickin’ Hollywood. Love EVC – she deserves better.

10. kn1231 says:

Well this role sounds crappy, but I love Van Camp so sign me up!

11. Dennis says:

I am so beyond excited. I love her!! Amazing in Revenge and oh gosh, having such Everwood feels right now.

12. mrx says:

seriously? shes gonna play a nurse? lol

13. Becky Rogers says:

Emily will be the female lead and there is nothing wrong with being a nurse <3

14. Bella says:

Love her and her acting and so brautiful,too! Have followed her career since she was a teenager. Can’t wait to see the new series. Congrats to Emily and also to Fox

15. Arthur says:

Hoping she is fooling all of us with the “nurse” to disguise her secret agent job… again…

16. Kate says:

Nurses can be substantial roles…Code black, Night shift and Chicago Med have shown that…I know the gist doesn’t sound very exciting but I’m willing to give it a chance since I love the cast (hated Czuchry on GG but loved him on good wife :-))

17. The weird thing isn’t that she is playing a nurse. The weird thing is that so many commenters seem to think that being a nurse isn’t as impressive/respectable as being a doctor. Yes, I do think that Emily could do better than how this is described, but looking down your nose at a woman who is “only” a nurse is kinda demeaning to nurses, isn’t it?

• Chloe says:

Well said!!! Spend some time in a hospital & you’ll see that nurses are incredibly smart & hard-working. I’m not putting down doctors but they breeze in and out & it’s the nurses who implement what they order & who work, work, work taking care of patients hour after hour. My mom just got out of the hospital & she said her nurse had 10 patients to take care of.

• Exactly. My father had a stroke a while back, and between the hospital and the rehab facilities, you quickly learn that nurses are awesome, and that they’re not all weak little girls. Many of them are big dudes. People want to make “nurse” into a degrading title, but it’s not. Those people are the ones with issues.

• Phil says:

My comment on her playing the nurse has zero to do with actual nurses but rather a TV show where she’s clearly playing third lead (at best) to two doctor characters – don’t care about the gender of any of these characters, or any real world connotations.
      What I’m disappointed with is a clearly talented, capable leading woman being forced into a third lead/sidekick/girlfriend/subordinate role.
      “Mercy” was a FANTASTIC show that should have run much longer had NBC not foolishly cancelled. Introduced us to Taylor Schilling, gave Michelle Trachtenberg a weighty role, and really showcased nurses (albeit ones who must challenge the rules because TV). So yeah… not really a comment on actual nurses at all.

18. Leanne says:

I like Emily Van Camp. Glad it’s network tv. Missed revenge.

19. Ann says:

So excited for this. This may even be surpass the cuteness of Rory/Logan (Alexis Bledel/Matt Czuchry)!!

20. John036 says:

this show seems like it could have many twists in it. i’m sure there’ll be more than just being the ‘gf nurse’

21. N says:

Hope she doesn’t tire of the series. She got tired of Bos & Sisters & Revenge

22. TLN says:

Looking so forward to seeing Emily in this show. I loved Revenge and her in it and am hoping this show is a success. Can’t wait!!!

23. Cas says:

Sold. Plus Czuchry double sold.

24. Jake says:

Yawn, I find her acting horribly BORING.

25. Ally Oop says:

I love the cast. I hope this makes the cut.

26. She will be great. I have lovd her in everything she is in. Now if they would just bring Nick Weschler on board too