The Good Fight

The Good Fight Renewed for Season 2

CBS All Access is hunkering down for a protracted Fight.

The Eye network’s upstart streaming offshoot has renewed The Good Fight for a second season, to launch in early 2018. Although CBS has not released any hard data about The Good Wife spinoff’s viewership for its first five episodes, CBS Interactive CEO Marc DeBevoise says the reaction from subscribers has thus far been “phenomenal,” adding, “This series and its characters are just beginning and we can’t wait to see where Robert and Michelle King, their creative team and the amazing cast take The Good Fight next.”

The Good Fight is CBS All Access’ first original series. Its second, Star Trek: Discovery, has been plagued by numerous scheduling delays. Originally slated to debut in early 2017 ahead of The Good Fight, Discovery was pushed to spring for creative reasons. And then last month, CBS CEO Les Moonves said the reboot is expected to launch “sometime [in] late summer, early fall,” explaining, “It’s important to get it right, and Star Trek is the family jewels. We’re not going to rush it in. There’s a lot of post-production. But I’m very confident based on what I’ve seen so far.”

1. SUSO says:

I love it so much and was so worried!

2. Garbo says:

YHASSSSSSSS!

Best new show in years.

3. Phillip says:

YES YES YES YES YAS!!!

4. Billy meacham says:

Is this worth watching without seeing the good wife??

• Kelly says:

definitely–my husband didn’t watch the Good Wife and he is really into The Good Fight

• abz says:

I don’t know if you necessarily have to, but it’s certainly a much better experience if you have because you’ll understand a lot of the callbacks and the characters returning. I won’t go into too much detail, but for example having Matthew Perry’s character back this past week has a bigger impact if you watched The Good Wife because there is a lot of background/history with that character. Same with Carrie Preston’s returning character.

For what it’s worth, no matter how divisive the final season may have been, The Good Wife will forever be one of the best shows on television (at least for em). The last season may not have been as good as the others, but to be honest, even a mediocre season of The Good Wife was better than a lot of what was on television. The show for me was always on another level. Certainly the first 5 seasons alone were worth the watch. I really would recommend it.

5. Kris says:

I really liked this program (one of my favorites), but I refuse to pay extra to watch it. I pay too much already for basic cable.

• Mike R. says:

How long does this show have to be on before people stop commenting this on every article about the Good Fight. Streaming services like this exist as an option, and if you don’t wanna pay for it that is fine but we don’t need it repeated over and over again.

• Xyz says:

I am not going pay extra for this. Don’t care if this upsets you.

• Pedro says:

It doesn’t upset anybody that you won’t. Just that you feel you need to announce it over and over. I can’t afford an iPhone 7, but I don’t go to every article or review about it telling people that.

• Anne says:

Then wait for the season to have fully aired, sign up for a month of CBS all-access and watch the full season in that month. It’s worth the $4.97 or whatever the price is.

6. Steven says:

I hope for more than 10 episodes!

7. rafael_ says:

great news – i think the good fight is even better than the good wife (and I don’t miss Alicia at all). the difficult part will be waiting until next year for season 2.

8. canukchick says:

This is all that was amazing about the good wife in the early seasons. Just without Alicia. Which makes it so much better!

9. evababy says:

Good news. This show really is excellent so far. Enjoying more than I did the Good Wife. I wonder if being on the streaming service & not having JM involved is giving the creators more creative control? it just feels like it has a stronger point of view than TGW had especially in the later seasons.

10. Christine Brahney Aria MD says:

Did not want to spend the cash for access, however, this is the best series. Happy for the renewal.

11. Shar says:

I’m enjoying this series and am glad it’s renewed. I do have 2 requests – can we have tough Diane back please and more of the investigator played my Nyambi.

12. cuius says:

Good news – only problem, this will encourage CBS, and other networks, to release all their future “premium” shows this way. Free-to-air will get the second-rate ones, and probably repeats of the premium ones after a suitable time

13. Sammie says:

Wish it was on a channel I had access to.

14. Bill Cord says:

Why does CBS think large numbers are going to pay for a spinoff from Good Wife?

• Jimmy says:

Apparently, the numbers of good enough that they’ve renewed it.

• drhenning says:

I upgraded to the commercial free version and it makes the experience even better.. For all the griping about costs, a year of CBS All Access commercial free is still cheaper than lots of other entertainment costs these days.. A decent seat at a good concert, theater, or sports event are lots more just for I guess it’s all a matter of priorities What I do also like about is the commercial free access to current and older shows they have… Happy for renewal..

15. Just finished watching episode 5 where this show has found its voice. Thank God they are bring back some the brilliant actors that was in The Good Wife. I love the new additions of Delroy Lindo and Rose Leslie, and Erica Tazel. I LOVE IT !!!!

16. abz says:

Overjoyed at this news. I hope it gets an extended episode order too. And I’ll echo one of the comments above. Enough of the repetitive whining and stating that you will not pay. I think everyone gets it. You won’t pay. Newsflash, no one is forcing you to pay. Now, can people actually discuss the show itself without each and every discussion threat turning into complaining about not wanting to pay? I’d actually love for TVLine to do weekly reviews of the show like TGW, but it’s probably better they don’t for now because all it will do is give these people another online thread to complain about paying.
    Honestly I’m glad this show is on streaming. Less censoring and the show feels looser and more real. It feels like the writers can have a little fun with the material. If it were on the network, they have to watch every single thing they say or show and probably deal with network restrictions and notes and the Parents Television council or whatever it’s called.

• Vi says:

So totally agree, if you don’t want to pay..don’t pay, no one is forcing you to. Just please stop complaining about it. Obviously it doesn’t matter that you’re not paying for it and so-and-so’s not paying for it, because it’s been renewed. I love the show!

17. Michael says:

fantastic news, just as good if not better than the Good Wife, maybe they can add 3 episodes to season 2

18. RD says:

So far this has been excellent. The writing is sharp, the acting top notch. What the last couple of seasons of TGW should have been. Bring it on!

19. LK says:

Thats good.. now how about some word on a second season of Big Brother Over the Top?

20. Cindy Hoffecker says:

Love this show !!!!

21. Andrew Auletta says:

I saw the first episode, but I’m not going to subscribe. They have a lot of nerve wanting me to pay a subscription fee when I’m paying for access to CBS as part of my cable package. I hope CBS all access fails.

• abz says:

So you hope it fails because you are making the choice not to pay to watch it? How very childish. What about the people out there who no longer pay for or need cable and only pay for streaming services. What about people who love the show and have no issues with CBS All Access.
      Clearly streaming is the future of TV. People don’t have time for appointment television much anymore. They have lives, work, school, kids to take care of, etc. They watch TV when they want on their own time. Not many people want to pay for cable with hundreds of channels they don’t even watch and would rather pay for Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc.

22. Anne says:

Oh fantastic! I love it and there’s a chance im going to love it more than the good wife

23. tony says:

f y i.

UK tv channel more4 is showing season one free to air in april.

24. Dare I say?……I’m liking this show better than the original. Masterful writing and interesting characters. Worth every penny!

25. Kenny D says:

We love this series even more than The Good Wife. It is definitely as entertaining as The Good Wife but we like that it is not entered around Alicia. However that being said they replaced one annoying character, Michael J Fox, with another, Matthew Perry. They were both annoying but Matthew Perry’s character is edging ahead. Definitely worth a watch.

26. Billy Bob Johnson says:

I’ll wait until it gets to Netflix later this year or next. It’s inevitable, since Netflix essentially underwrote the cost of the show.

27. Ginny says:

I was thrilled with the new show premiering on my TV screen. Then wondered what happened the following week for the next episode. I never saw anything that it was going to the All access. Truly not fair to tease and hide. I will not subscribe and PAY for something that should be on through cable. My internet is through my cable, so I am already paying for the internet access. Do you omit the commercials to warrant a monthly fee? I doubt it. I did really enjoy the intro episode on CBS television and was excited to watch. My 52″ TV screen is better than a 19″ monitor. You lost me and a few of my friends as viewers for this move.