The Big Bang Theory Prequel Spinoff Young Sheldon Ordered at CBS

The Big Bang Theory‘s universe is officially entering a younger, dense state.

CBS on Monday formally ordered to series Young Sheldon, a prequel spinoff centered on Sheldon Cooper’s awkward childhood in Texas. As TVLine previously reported, Big Little Lies breakout Iain Armitage will portray Jim Parsons’ pubescent doppelganger in the series, with Zoe Perry — aka the real-life daughter of Laurie Metcalf, who currently recurs as Adult Sheldon’s mom — set to play the mother of Young Sheldon.

Parsons will narrate the offshoot and also serve as an EP, along with Big Bang co-creator Chuck Lorre, current showrunner Steve Molaro and Todd Spiewak.

The cast also includes Lance Barber (The Comeback), Raegan Revord (Modern Family) and Montana Jordan. Iron Man helmer Jon Favreau is set to direct the premiere.

The series order comes as CBS and Warner Bros. are hammering out a new two-year renewal deal for The Big Bang Theory, a process reportedly being stymied by a contract stalemate involving supporting players Mayim Bialik and Melissa Rauch. Last week, CBS CEO Les Moonves sounded an upbeat note during an investor gathering, declaring that a renewal agreement was “on the two yard line.”

1. Natalie says:

Iain Armitage is such a good actor!

2. Daya says:

No surprise! I’m sure all BBT fans are going to at least watch the premiere to see how it goes down.

3. J. Norman says:

People may watch the premiere, but I just don’t think this will work out all that well.
    I guess we’ll see.

4. Good hire. says:

Jon Favreau directing?

At least it’ll be well-made.

5. Luis Roman says:

Obviously, it will have to develop an identity of its own. Nice move, casting Laurie Metcalf’s daughter to play the younger version of Sheldon’s mom. Will we see his Dad too?

6. Tom says:

I can’t believe they’re going through with this. I will check it out but…..I don’t have high hopes

7. Iris says:

In the category of most unsurprising pick-up for 2017-2018, the award goes to “Sheldon”.

8. Kevin Tran says:

Jon Favreau directing TBBT spin-off? He’s Happy Hogan – Tony Stark’s bodyguard in the Iron Man movies.

• Yup. says:

He also directed the first two.

• Pedro says:

More importantly, he’s the director of Iron Man 1 & 2, the person who kicked off the Marvel Cinematic Universe and established it tone and look. He’s also the director of Elf and The Jungle Book.

9. Debbie says:

I think it’s a cute idea. Sheldon dad taught him about football even though Sheldon didn’t want to know. Footballs a big deal in Texas.

10. Brock says:

I think it sucks we will meet his twin before we see her adult counterpart!

11. D M Ilacqua says:

Disappointed in choice of actor. Stopped watching Big Little Lies due to irritating child actor and lost interest after first episode because he grated on my nerves so badly. Was disappointed as I love all the female cast. Love Jim Parsons, a much better choice would have made me want to watch.

12. castiel82074 says:

Not a fan of a prequel! Why ruin the show?

• MMD says:

Better Call Saul is a prequel and pretty terrific although I’m not usually a fan of prequels.

• TV Gord says:

How would this show ruin the original? Did AfterM*A*S*H ruin M*A*S*H? Did Joey ruin Friends? I think you’re grasping for reasons not to like it without any evidence that it’s not going to be good. It could be amazing! We’ll have to wait and see.

• E. D. Boddy says:

Those were sequels,not prequels.

• TV Gord says:

What’s the difference? How do prequels risk ruining a show more than bad sequels? Smallville was a prequel to Superman, and it was the best version of Clark Kent I’ve seen!

I think you and others are arbitrarily deciding something without having seen a nanosecond of the new show. It could become a television classic. Nobody knows yet. I just think it’s too bad that people are closed-minded to the possibility that this could actually be a good show, too.

• castiel82074 says:

Smallville was awesome! And so are a lot of prequels and sequels, but the big bang theory always wins favorite comedy usually in the people’s choice awards. Jim portrays Sheldon awesome! His character doesn’t need to be ruined by a irritating Child actor! Why ruin Sheldon?

• castiel82074 says:

Mash, after Mash had awesome actors! Nothing works if there is no chemistry. I liked Matt LeBlanc, those shows didn’t have annoying child actors in them. The Big Bang Theory always seems to win favorite comedy, well at least for The People’s Choice awards, it doesn’t need a prequel. It’s all ready a favorite!

13. Shar says:

I just want Bare Naked Ladies to write the theme song. :)

14. jericho says:

Seriously?! Come on CBS stop living in a realm of spin offs of spin offs. You have 3 NCIS, 2 Criminal Minds. 2 Reboots of 70s/80s TV that share a universe with each other AND NCIS. 4 Sitcoms from the same guy. You cancel interesting TV like Person of Interest and Limitless and give us more of a sitcom that went from embracing Geek/Nerd culture to mocking it outright (and doing it badly).

15. Bruce Wayne says:

This won’t work out well and might negatively impact the real show.

16. Stacy says:

Another show casting a real life actress’s daughter for the same role! Hawaii Five-0 recently cast Christine Lahti’s daughter for a flashback of the same role.

17. Jim J. says:

Spinoffs are a waste of scheduling on ANY broadcast TV network’s schedule.
    This means that next season, CBS will have “TBBT”, “Mom”,”2 Broke Girls”, “Life in Pieces”, “The Great Indoors”, “Superior Donuts”, and “Young Sheldon”… I hope CBS does NOT go back to one-and-a-half hours of comedy next season. Also, I think that should have been an announcement of an Amy and Bernadette spinoff being launched after “TBBT” ends, if ever. I just want to focus only on “TBBT” and avoid this “Young Shelson” spinoff as much as possible.

18. NewBeginnings16 says:

Dream casting: Jim Parsons playing “his” own father. Would be great seeing him as “not Sheldon”. Too bad it won’t work since he’ll still be playing Shelly.

19. Bark Star says:

The Simpsons are much worse in their necrophilia but at least they didnt have a stillborn offspring. Have mercy and let BBT die already. It has been suffering for so long.

• castiel82074 says:

The Big Bang Theory wins favorite comedy every year. How can it be suffering if it keeps winning? I hate the Simpsons! That’s just my opinion. But they need to go.

20. I predict this will be awful, and I am a BBT fan.

21. I am actually really excited!