This Is Us NBC Milo Ventimiglia Jack Randall

The Men of This Is Us Rank This Season's Top 3 'Guy Cry' Scenes

No one is impervious to the incredible sob-inducing power of This Is Us — not even the men who star in it.

To warm up your tear ducts for Tuesday’s season finale (NBC, 9/8c), TVLine quizzed cast members Milo Ventimiglia (Jack), Justin Hartley (Kevin), Ron Cephas Jones (William) and Chris Sullivan (Toby) on which scenes this season made them cry. And they gave us three “guy cry” scenes that wrecked them emotionally… even if they knew exactly what was coming.

3. Kevin’s description of his painting (“The Game Plan”)

Kevin showing Randall’s daughters the painting he made — and explaining how it shows that we’re all connected, even after we die — was a favorite of Ventimiglia’s. And Jones agreed: “Even when you’re gone, you’re still in the painting. It’s a beautiful analogy.”

2. William’s final moments (“Memphis”)

Randall’s birth father William saying goodbye to his son and encouraging him to “roll all your windows down” got to Ventimiglia (“That killed me”) and Hartley, too: “Because you’ve already fallen in love with the character. And then, for us, working on the show, you also fall in love with the man.”

1. Jack does push-ups with Randall on his back (“The Trip”)

We have a winner! All four of the actors mentioned this father-son flashback scene, where Randall’s karate instructor has Jack do push-ups with his adopted son on his back to demonstrate his support. “I feel like there was a little bit of every aspect of this show in that scene,” Sullivan said. When Ventimiglia called it “a good guy cry,” Sullivan added, “A 1940s dad cry. A World War I veteran cry.”

Hartley even acted out the “guy cry” — stone-faced, but with his bottom lip quivering ever so slightly: “I’ve got something in my eye!”

Alright, This Is Us-sers: Which scenes this season had you reaching for the Kleenex? Give us your picks in the comments below.

1. Imagecrafters says:

The support and love shown Randall by Jack and the karate dads got me. Though I’ve cried through most of this shows with a box of Kleenex by my side. Superb writing and acting. I love this show. Just binged watched On Demand!

• Bobbie says:

I have never seen an episode, everyone keeps telling me how great the show is and I made the mistake of clicking on this article.

Normally I don’t cry and the rare times I do I can usually blink it away and blame allergies, but (insert swear words here), watching these clips, even without knowing the characters, (insert more swear words), damn it, I was crying.

I don’t know if I could handle ~40 minutes of this kind of emotional manipulation and this is coming from someone that is usually pretty cold hard sober with emotions.

2. The push-up scene is my favorite of the show.

3. mrmcgee says:

1 & 2 definitely, but my third is when Kevin goes to Randall when he’s having his breakdown in the office and Randall is just in tears. I was too.

4. Bigdede says:

For me

1) William’s death
    2) when Jack had Randall at his job and he found out why Randall was pretending not to be good at math. His explanation to Randall about how parents try but don’t always do the right thing had me in tears
    3) Jack doing those push ups with Randall on his back and when he got too tired the next Dad took over. LOVED THAT!!

• Hannah says:

That scene between Jack and Randall at his office where they were working on Randall’s math really got me, too, but mostly because of Jack telling Randall to stand out because what made him different is what made him exceptional. That right there had me falling apart.

5. Lindsey says:

The one that actually got to me the most was the scene where Kevin ditched his play to be there for Randall and how it paralleled back to the past when Kevin would ignore Randall’s panic attacks. It showed the love and depth that he had grown for his brother, and how he had become a changed man–so much so that he put his whole career on the line.

6. Kevin Tran says:

William’s final moments was the one that made me cry the most :-(

7. Ryan says:

The panic attack scene where Randall breaks down and Kevin goes to him……I have never been so broken over four minutes of TV and I used to watch Greys Anatomy religiously.

8. Hill says:

When Miguel tells Kevin that he wishes Kevin liked him because Kevin reminds him of Jack and Jack was his best friend … so being with Kevin makes him feel like he’s with Jack again. *sob*

9. Mary says:

Tough to pick out a couple because I swear every show makes me cry. This is truly one of the best shows ever.

10. Julie says:

My favorite was Jack going to ask his father for money to buy the house. For a man to swallow his pride for the sake of his family and being belittled by his father without fighting back was more than I could take.