Tyra Banks Replacing Nick Cannon as Host of America's Got Talent

Instead of looking for America’s Next Top Model, Tyra Banks will now be on the lookout for America’s next big Talent.

The former ANTM host has been tapped to succeed Nick Cannon as host of America’s Got Talent. The announcement was made on Sunday by judge Howie Mandel, who took to Twitter to welcome Banks to the AGT family.

Departing host Cannon had been with AGT since 2009. He previously announced in a lengthy Facebook post on Feb. 13 that he had decided to part ways with NBC — and thus forfeit his hosting duties on AGT — after he allegedly received backlash from the network over a joke he made during a recent stand-up special on Showtime.

“Sometimes I wish I could say the stuff I really want to say,” Cannon said during his special. “Y’all see my face on America’s Got Talent? Like, this next crazy motherf–er coming to the stage gonna be juggling blindfolded with knives and s–t, so n–as be careful! But I can’t say that. I can’t talk like that. That would mess up the white money.” (You can watch the full, uncensored joke here.)

When Cannon received word that NBC was allegedly considering firing him as a result of his rant, he decided to pull his own plug.

Banks, of course, has plenty of hosting experience. In addition to America’s Next Top Model, the former supermodel had an eponymous daytime talk show for five seasons, before ending the program in 2010. She also served as an executive producer and panelist on ABC’s one-and-done talker FABLife, and most recently served as an advisor on the Arnold Schwarzenegger-fronted season of Celebrity Apprentice.

Filming on Season 12 of America’s Got Talent is set to commence this month, with the judging panel of Mandel, Mel B., Simon Cowell and Heidi Klum remaining intact.

Have at it, AGT fans: Is Banks a good replacement for Cannon? Drop your thoughts in a comment below!

1. AngelWasHere says:

Ugh….no. The hosting job should have went to a comedian.

2. Jill says:

She’s too over the top when she hosts. The host of AGT needs to know the show is not about them. It’s about the judges & the contestants. Tyra won’t last.

3. Al says:

Such a weird choice
    Not sure she has the comedic chops to pull it off

4. herman1959 says:

Why?

5. TJ says:

This will suck!

• Phyllis M. says:

It will not be the same without Nick Cannon..!!! He’s funny, and he needs to be on AGT. I’m not saying Tyra won’t be a good host, Nick would be better.

6. richard says:

Nobody had heard of Ryan Seacrest before “American Idol”. It would have been nice if some relatively unknown person could have been given the same opportunity. They could even have had a competition prior, either on TV or online for the public to pick a host from a pool of hopefuls, or combined it with “Last Comic Standing”.

7. steven says:

Great, now the show will be called, “America’s Next Top Talent.”

8. Kevin Tran says:

Tyra Banks as new AGT host could be the beginning of the reality series’ downfall.

9. Awesome1 says:

No. I’m not happy with the decision. You need a fuuny man/woman or a talk show host. Jerry Springer was funny. Nick was and his outfits we’re spectular. I just don’t see what Banks can bring to the party. I’m a watcher from the beginning. This is likely to turn me away. I hope I’m wrong.

10. Wrstlgirl says:

No, just no.

11. AngelWasHere says:

Her as a new host may be it for me. The judges alone are irritating. I don’t know if I’ll have the patience to deal with them all together.

12. Daya says:

Did NOT see that one coming!

I agree with everyone else–they need someone softer, more family friendly.

13. Kovic says:

Holy, Sugar Honey Ice Tea…am GAGGING. What happened to the Marlon Wayans?!?! I’ve only seen this show twice…but I’ll check out first episode to see how Naomi Campbell, I mean Tyra Banks does. We’re all rooting for you. GOODLUCK & dont fcuk it up!!

14. Ruben says:

Tyra Banks !!!!! I don’t think so. Boring !! Should have been Mario Lopez or Kevin Hart

15. Jennifer says:

And…I’m out. I cannot stand Tyra Banks. She is not what this show needs. Do the powers that be even know this show? Its light, funny and she is none of those. Ugh.

16. Dawna says:

There goes the show

17. Billy Bob Johnson says:

Well, looks like I won’t be watching this summer’s America’s Got Talent. She has NO talent. Zero. Zip. Nada. What is she going to say when a contestant asks her to participate? “No thanks, I don’t want to chip a nail”???

18. bridyyc says:

Tyra’s all about Tyra. The host needs to be all about the contestants. They should have snagged Cat Deeley.

19. Yolande Nichol says:

Guess here’s another show I won’t be watching anymore. Is the best they could do???

20. Susan wallace says:

Worst replacement ever! Really tyra banks

21. Collette says:

Yikes! Yvette Nicole Brown would have been a much better choice. She’s smarter, warmer, more likable and more down to earth.

22. TvPeong says:

I wish her well

23. NO NO NO! I hate Tyra Banks she is awful as a host. Well I guess I won’t be watching AGT anymore! She is the worst

24. Anne says:

Interesting choice. Nick’s shoes will be tough to fill (he deserved an Emmy tbh), but I like Tyra and she doesn’t take herself too seriously.

25. Carol says:

Not sure she is the right one for the job. It’s all about the chemistry with the judges and the talent.

26. Kerri says:

No, not a good choice. Not sure I’ll watch now. Really don’t like her and she’s not even a close comparison to Nick Cannon. YUCK!

27. Bboop says:

She’s a TERRIBLE choice! They’re bringing in a “runway” model who is NOT a commedian to host a show that Nick Cannon has molded into lots of fun and laughs. That’s why I watched! We already have to endure some of the judges and their stupid antics that they think are funny. Guess I won’t be watching anymore!!!!

28. Hi to every one, for the reason that I am really eager of reading this webpage’s post to be updated daily.

It consists of good stuff.

• Cass says:

It is really going to be a hard job filling Nick Cannon’s shoes. He was an excellent host. He was so funny and he had no problem participating in the acts with the contestants. He made AGT entertaining to watch.

29. Phyllis M. says:

30. Mike C. says:

With all due respect to Tyra, I can’t see her as the host of AGT. She’s a super model, not a comedian, which is what Nick brought to the show. Not a good fit. Too bad.

31. Lucia Maers says:

I WOULD LOVE TO SEE JERRY SPRINGER COME BACK AS AGT’S HOST!! I COULD NOT STAND NICK CANNON AND REALLY DON’T CARE FOR TYRA BANKS!!! 😬😖

32. Lucia Maers says:

I WANT JERRY SPRINGER BACK, HE WAS MY FAVORITE HOST I MISS HIM!! COULD NOT STAND NICK CANNON, HE WAS A GOOF BALL AND DID NOT LIKE THE WAY HE DRESSED!! I ALSO DO NOT CARE FOR TYRA BANKS SHE IS TO SERIOUS FOR AGT 😬😠

33. roachk says:

Marlon Wayans would have been the next best replacement. Tyra is a NO!!!! She does not have the comedic edge to pull this off. Plus her vanity will ruin it. Ugh…just no.

34. Mike says:

No no no no no this is horrible

35. Keeliaoftheblood says:

I hope NBC sees all these comments. There might still be enough time to correct their horrible mistake. Remember NBC, we loyal fans are what keep that money rolling in. Listen to all the people who are saying, “I’m done”, “well, I won’t be watching AGT anymore”, and “I guess that’s it for me”. They are telling you we don’t like this choice! Stop trying to fix what was never broken. So, Nick Cannon left, I’m sorry for that, but why Tyra Banks? Because she’s a friend of Heidi Klum? We all know it can’t be due to her famed talent as a comedian. Look what happened last year with SYTYCD! They are, at least, listening to their fans! I hope you do the same. Good Luck NBC, you are going to need if you keep Tyra Banks as host. I know my 8 member family will no longer be watching.

• Gwen says:

30 of my friends will not be watching. With the new host. Please bring back Nick Cannon#!!!

• vanessa says:

I know right? Tyra is so annoying and not funny AT ALL. How does she not look back at herself and think, wow…… I absolutely suck. My brother is no longer watching and he used to love it. Now I’m considering the same. So I hope your reading this NBC, don’t make something as ridiculous as this end America’s got talent. And I would say no offense to Tyra, but this comment was intended to be 100% offensive to her.

36. Joanna Rose says:

I really, really liked Nick Cannon. He was really amazing, perfect for the job of host. It is unfortunate that the Network decided his comments were inappropriate. Politicians make in appropriate comment all the time and we can’t seem to get rid of any of them! I’m thinking that Tyra Banks is a bit to formal forAGT. I would still like to see Nick stay on.Maybe he could apologize for his language and be forgiven. I really think he added greatly to the show in the most positive way possible. Here’s hoping!

37. Bill James says:

No, Nick was a big part of the show. It is rare to find that in someone. Sorry NBC. But that is a Hugh mistake.

38. Trudy S says:

Having Tyra Banks has the new AGT host is a big mistake. NBC should know their ratings will go down, down, down. No one can fill Nick Cannon’s shoes. I may watch the show at the beginning but if I get bored, that’s it. I know I will get bored with Tyra! What is AGT thinking?

39. Mary Beth Peters says:

No not a good choice at all Tyra Banks is not a comedian you need a comedian to do the job

40. Wes says:

I’ll probably stop watching. She’s not a good choice.

41. P Smith says:

The show won’t be the same. Nick was the life line on that program. He was hysterical. Tyra won’t make it. I might not even watch it anymore. The ratings will not be good. Good luck!

42. Cassandra Brown says:

No not really nick cannon was part of the show he entertained us

43. Raymond says:

No, but after seeing the video above it broke my heart to see the truth about who he was. When I was a little kid i wanted to be like him, but now I can see who he really is leading me to the conclusion yes, but if he weren’t to be that type of guy then no he will stay the best America got talent of all times.

44. Ellen Buck says:

Should have worked it out..Nick replaced??? By Tyra???
    No no no no

45. Stace says:

Sorry but Tyra is only going to want to talk about Tyra. She gets on my nerves. Tries too hard. Stay in your lane. Modeling stuff. And I don’t like it how she has handled some controversies on top model. Those girls win and go on to be never heard from again. So why bother being on that show.

46. Roseann Sant says:

No one can do this show better than Nick Cannon! He was the best , im already not likening her as the MC.

47. Willlor says:

Nick was perfect in his hosting role of AGT. He was classy, he was gracious with the contestants, respectfully funny, downright lovable! He can’t be replaced.

48. Marcie says:

Tyra is probably a well qualified person, but she’s no nick cannon. He is why I watched show aside from the talent. Sad. Going to find something else to watch, tried to watch it, not ev n the Brit can save it this time

49. Anna says:

No Tyra Banks is not a good replacement the only reason why I would watch America’s got talent was because of Nick Cannon and his interaction with the people. Tyra Banks is just a soondy b**ch that belongs on a run way only. She is not funny nor does she represent America’s got talent well.

50. Anna says:

No she will not. She is not funny nor does she interact with the contestants well. I’m hopping others will stop watching and let the ratings go down for Americas got talent because that will be the only way we will be heard about this injustice.