Tyra Banks Replacing Nick Cannon as Host of America's Got Talent

Instead of looking for America’s Next Top Model, Tyra Banks will now be on the lookout for America’s next big Talent.

The former ANTM host has been tapped to succeed Nick Cannon as host of America’s Got Talent. The announcement was made on Sunday by judge Howie Mandel, who took to Twitter to welcome Banks to the AGT family.

Departing host Cannon had been with AGT since 2009. He previously announced in a lengthy Facebook post on Feb. 13 that he had decided to part ways with NBC — and thus forfeit his hosting duties on AGT — after he allegedly received backlash from the network over a joke he made during a recent stand-up special on Showtime.

“Sometimes I wish I could say the stuff I really want to say,” Cannon said during his special. “Y’all see my face on America’s Got Talent? Like, this next crazy motherf–er coming to the stage gonna be juggling blindfolded with knives and s–t, so n–as be careful! But I can’t say that. I can’t talk like that. That would mess up the white money.” (You can watch the full, uncensored joke here.)

When Cannon received word that NBC was allegedly considering firing him as a result of his rant, he decided to pull his own plug.

Banks, of course, has plenty of hosting experience. In addition to America’s Next Top Model, the former supermodel had an eponymous daytime talk show for five seasons, before ending the program in 2010. She also served as an executive producer and panelist on ABC’s one-and-done talker FABLife, and most recently served as an advisor on the Arnold Schwarzenegger-fronted season of Celebrity Apprentice.

Filming on Season 12 of America’s Got Talent is set to commence this month, with the judging panel of Mandel, Mel B., Simon Cowell and Heidi Klum remaining intact.

Have at it, AGT fans: Is Banks a good replacement for Cannon? Drop your thoughts in a comment below!

1. AngelWasHere says:

Ugh….no. The hosting job should have went to a comedian.

2. Jill says:

She’s too over the top when she hosts. The host of AGT needs to know the show is not about them. It’s about the judges & the contestants. Tyra won’t last.

3. Al says:

Such a weird choice
    Not sure she has the comedic chops to pull it off

4. herman1959 says:

Why?

5. TJ says:

This will suck!

• Phyllis M. says:

It will not be the same without Nick Cannon..!!! He’s funny, and he needs to be on AGT. I’m not saying Tyra won’t be a good host, Nick would be better.

6. richard says:

Nobody had heard of Ryan Seacrest before “American Idol”. It would have been nice if some relatively unknown person could have been given the same opportunity. They could even have had a competition prior, either on TV or online for the public to pick a host from a pool of hopefuls, or combined it with “Last Comic Standing”.

7. steven says:

Great, now the show will be called, “America’s Next Top Talent.”

8. Kevin Tran says:

Tyra Banks as new AGT host could be the beginning of the reality series’ downfall.

9. Awesome1 says:

No. I’m not happy with the decision. You need a fuuny man/woman or a talk show host. Jerry Springer was funny. Nick was and his outfits we’re spectular. I just don’t see what Banks can bring to the party. I’m a watcher from the beginning. This is likely to turn me away. I hope I’m wrong.

10. Wrstlgirl says:

No, just no.

11. AngelWasHere says:

Her as a new host may be it for me. The judges alone are irritating. I don’t know if I’ll have the patience to deal with them all together.

12. Daya says:

Did NOT see that one coming!

I agree with everyone else–they need someone softer, more family friendly.

13. Kovic says:

Holy, Sugar Honey Ice Tea…am GAGGING. What happened to the Marlon Wayans?!?! I’ve only seen this show twice…but I’ll check out first episode to see how Naomi Campbell, I mean Tyra Banks does. We’re all rooting for you. GOODLUCK & dont fcuk it up!!

14. Ruben says:

Tyra Banks !!!!! I don’t think so. Boring !! Should have been Mario Lopez or Kevin Hart

15. Jennifer says:

And…I’m out. I cannot stand Tyra Banks. She is not what this show needs. Do the powers that be even know this show? Its light, funny and she is none of those. Ugh.

16. Dawna says:

There goes the show

17. Billy Bob Johnson says:

Well, looks like I won’t be watching this summer’s America’s Got Talent. She has NO talent. Zero. Zip. Nada. What is she going to say when a contestant asks her to participate? “No thanks, I don’t want to chip a nail”???

18. bridyyc says:

Tyra’s all about Tyra. The host needs to be all about the contestants. They should have snagged Cat Deeley.

19. Yolande Nichol says:

Guess here’s another show I won’t be watching anymore. Is the best they could do???

20. Susan wallace says:

Worst replacement ever! Really tyra banks

21. Collette says:

Yikes! Yvette Nicole Brown would have been a much better choice. She’s smarter, warmer, more likable and more down to earth.

22. TvPeong says:

I wish her well

23. NO NO NO! I hate Tyra Banks she is awful as a host. Well I guess I won’t be watching AGT anymore! She is the worst

24. Anne says:

Interesting choice. Nick’s shoes will be tough to fill (he deserved an Emmy tbh), but I like Tyra and she doesn’t take herself too seriously.

25. Carol says:

Not sure she is the right one for the job. It’s all about the chemistry with the judges and the talent.

26. Kerri says:

No, not a good choice. Not sure I’ll watch now. Really don’t like her and she’s not even a close comparison to Nick Cannon. YUCK!

27. Bboop says:

She’s a TERRIBLE choice! They’re bringing in a “runway” model who is NOT a commedian to host a show that Nick Cannon has molded into lots of fun and laughs. That’s why I watched! We already have to endure some of the judges and their stupid antics that they think are funny. Guess I won’t be watching anymore!!!!

28. Hi to every one, for the reason that I am really eager of reading this webpage’s post to be updated daily.

It consists of good stuff.

• Cass says:

It is really going to be a hard job filling Nick Cannon’s shoes. He was an excellent host. He was so funny and he had no problem participating in the acts with the contestants. He made AGT entertaining to watch.

29. Phyllis M. says:

30. Mike C. says:

With all due respect to Tyra, I can’t see her as the host of AGT. She’s a super model, not a comedian, which is what Nick brought to the show. Not a good fit. Too bad.

31. Lucia Maers says:

I WOULD LOVE TO SEE JERRY SPRINGER COME BACK AS AGT’S HOST!! I COULD NOT STAND NICK CANNON AND REALLY DON’T CARE FOR TYRA BANKS!!! 😬😖

32. Lucia Maers says:

I WANT JERRY SPRINGER BACK, HE WAS MY FAVORITE HOST I MISS HIM!! COULD NOT STAND NICK CANNON, HE WAS A GOOF BALL AND DID NOT LIKE THE WAY HE DRESSED!! I ALSO DO NOT CARE FOR TYRA BANKS SHE IS TO SERIOUS FOR AGT 😬😠

33. roachk says:

Marlon Wayans would have been the next best replacement. Tyra is a NO!!!! She does not have the comedic edge to pull this off. Plus her vanity will ruin it. Ugh…just no.