Flash Season 3 Spoilers

The Flash: Grant Gustin Previews Tough Talk From Fallen Foes and Friends, Holds Out Hope for 'WestAllen' Future

Desperate times call for desperate measures, so this Tuesday on The Flash (The CW, 8/7), Barry Allen will again become one with the Speed Force in a bid to rescue Wally, who involuntarily traded places with the long-imprisoned Savitar.

Of course, the first time Barry (accidentally) merged with the Speed Force — in last May’s Kevin Smith-directed “The Runaway Dinosaur” — he was met by the faces of people he trusted and loved. Here, the avatars include the late Leonard Snart, Eddie Thawne and Ronnie Raymond (played by series alumni Wentworth Miller, Rick Cosnett and Robbie Amell).

Previewing this return trip, Flash star Grant Gustin tells TVLine, “Because we did it last year, I think Barry went in knowing what to expect, more or less — but then it is not the same experience.”

Indeed, Snart et all will present Barry with some tough talk as he labors to save Wally from the torturous hell that drove Savitar mad, over and over again.

The number they do on Barry’s psyche is “a pretty drastic one,” Gustin forewarns. “But it’s harder on Wally (Keiynan Lonsdale), actually, and that’s why Barry goes in to get him. Wally is being put through emotional turmoil that only Barry can understand. They manipulate Barry a bit differently than they did last year.”

But also like last time, there are invaluable lessons for Barry to learn by way of this incredible crucible. Ones that might even nudge him toward a solution for the Savitar crisis that has stymied Team Flash. “[Eddie and the others] are ultimately trying to help him, even if it means teaching him a lesson in a very tough way, or throwing him a bone.”

Hey, maybe they can offer Barry some love life advice while they’re at it? Seeing as things just went a bit sideways after it came to light that he proposed to Iris (Candice Patton) not purely out of love, but as his latest attempt to alter the future — and thus avert her grisly murder at Savitar’s hand.

“I actually liked the proposal!” Gustin contends with a laugh. “I thought it was really pretty. It was hard to be like, ‘Annnnnd this is where were going next with the storyline.’ I was like, ‘We just did the proposal and it was great!”

Regardless, this is where we are now, thanks to petulant Wally’s outburst upon glimpsing the near-future. Surveying “WestAllen’s” dis-engaged status, Gustin says, “Initially, it’s kind of weird. We don’t exactly know what we’re doing. [But we will] we try to figure things out.”

In the meantime, Savitar looms largest in the scarlet speedster’s mind. “Barry is trying to stay focused on stopping Savitar, stopping this destiny that he refuses to accept.”

Is there a future scenario where Barry dares to pop the question anew? What all would need to be different for him to risk heartbreak again?

“The circumstances don’t even need to change,” Gustin ventures. “There’s a lot going on right now that is literally life-or-death, and I think that is clouding everything and getting in the way of their relationship. All of the relationships are kind of in a weird place right now, just because everyone is scared. I think [Barry and Iris] just need to find some clarity. They need to trust their love, and be brave enough to believe in the relationship.”

Want more scoop on The Flash, or for any other show? Email InsideLine@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. KM says:

I love WestAllen, they are great together, I’m curious just how they get back to the way they were, and I loved the proposal, it was very romantic.

2. Lauren says:

Oooooooh I’m so intrigued. I have faith everything will be fine with Barry and Iris like Grant says they just need to trust their love. As for Wally really hope he isn’t stuck in the speedforce for too long as much as I was a bit disappointed at his outburst getting sucks into the speedforce wasn’t a trade off I wanted. Save wally save iris save westallen that is all. Thanks for the great scoop all always matt.

3. sladewilson says:

The proposal itself was perfect He just needs to convince Iris that it’s all about their love and nothing else.

4. Erica says:

Barry’s moving out? Noooooooooo….! -sadface-

5. Ingrid says:

This is hard to read as a WestAllen shipper but it makes sense. Hoopefully they talk it out and get back on track soon

• That Iris would feel that Barry’s proposal was for the wrong reason–to save her life because he wants to spend the rest of his life with her–is ridiculous. They are both in love, and are moving toward marriage, so what if Barry’s “pre-emptive” proposal was to put a ring on it prior to her dangerous encounter with Savitar? Weak writing in my mind.

• Ingrid says:

I disagree. It’s an issue because his proposal speech implied that it was him no longer worrying about avoiding the future and instead focusing on just being happy and building their own future together DESPITE Savitar’s prophecy. And then she finds out that it was still driven by his worries, so Iris being hurt does make sense.

• mali says:

they won’t get married and won’t lastthey will get happy ending bout not as a couple ….she will get married be the end of the season or befor but with eddie they will being him back to life somehow and barry and patty be togther i have proof that this is how its gonna be

• Hyeri says:

Can you prove to us barry and patty together forever? In new 52 barry with patty , but they brake up and barry dating with iris again. In movie flashpoint iris and barry married.

• mali says:

i found picture that barry and patty on the train in episode 19 and the dc of comics said on rv timeline that they are stroy of iris and barry married won’t happend like in the comics and it will be like it never happed and patty and barry will be togther again and she will be the only girlfriend and

• mali says:

the women how play patty also said she will comin back in season 3 and candice said that rick….(eddie)will be for not only one episode so …don’t you think that the happy ending for iris and barry won’t be iris&eddie.barry&parry?!

6. Robin says:

LOVE his answers.I totally understand this view.

7. Emily says:

Aww, Grant talking Westallen is my aesthetic.

8. Asia says:

I agree with Grant the proposal was great which is why I’m rolling my eyes at the drama. We know Barry loves Iris more than anything—he wants her to be his wife.

9. Alexis says:

Aww breaks my heart but I have faith that Barry and Iris will be brave enough to trust in their love and relationship.
    PS: Love hearing Grant talk passionately about westallen

• Ingrid says:

Me too! Candice is the one who usually gets all the WestAllen question so I’m happy whenever Grant answers them as well! AND his thoughts are usually spot on.
      (I’m super pumped for Paleyfest next week with both of them!)

10. Diana says:

Thanks for the interview! It’s nice to hear Grant’s thoughts on Westallen! I hope things will work out for Barry and Iris. They’ve been through so much already, together. They should be able to get through this together.

11. ME says:

Love the interview! Great to hear Grant’s perspective on WestAllen and everything else going on!

12. Diana says:

The people Barry will see in the next episode are not actually the real versions of those characters right? But Speed Force versions like in 2.21…?

13. Joey Padron says:

Good interview you did with Grant. Excited to see watch new episode on Tuesday and see Snart, Ronnie, and Eddie on the show again!

14. Katie says:

I think it’s great that Barry is the one giving her space, she’s not the one leaving out of anger. “Circumstances don’t need to change” sounds like he’ll be proposing again later this season…

15. Mimi says:

It’s going to be heartbreaking seeing these two apart. I really hope they try and move past this and let this make their relationship stronger because I need my Westallen fix. Love seeing grant’s insight about this.

16. DJ Doena says:

That reminds me to continue to watch Prison Break (I’m still in the first season and never saw the show). I was only made aware of PB because of Leonard/Rory.

17. Fofo says:

Love when Grant talks about Westallen! Really hope Barry and Iris figure it out! SOON!

18. Fofo says:

Love when Grant talks about Westallen! Really hope Barry and Iris work it out, love shall prevail!

19. tara says:

Thanks for this interview! It’s so great to hear Grant’s point of view on the proposal and the issues Barry and Iris are currently going through!

20. Andrea says:

Good interview! I am glad to hear Grant hopeful.

21. Mo says:

So Iris bail the first chance she got amiright? Fits her M.O. when it comes to her supposed love for Barry. Seriously Cisco is a freaking saint to let Barry move back in after everything. Just hope it will be fun at least.

• Emily says:

Huh? Barry is clearly the one leaving, not Iris. She specifically told him she still loves him and wants to be his wife, but you do you.

• AOTR says:

First chance she gets? She vowed to wait for him when he wasn’t ready for a relationship after his dad died (2×23), she stood by Barry when the team was pissed at him about Flashpoint and rallied them together (3×02), and she stood by him again/encouraged him when Caitlin and Cisco wouldn’t during the whole Killer frost/Dante fiasco. And those are just a few examples. I will never understand why you antis love making stuff up to justify your hate.

• Mo says:

Huh. And Barry still walked out on Iris?! Or so Emily above says. What was that about making stuff up again? Btw thanks for pointing out Iris’ actions were reactions to Barry’s needs. Nora or Iris, Barry couldn’t ask for better moms.

• AOTR says:

I don’t think Barry is bailing on Iris. He is just giving her space. They both need to figure out where their relationship is at. After breaking off their engagement, going back to playing house seems a bit backwards. Barry needs space too as he is a little heart broken. He needs to clear his head, overcome his fears, and figure out if he wants marriage outside of their present circumstances. I doubt they will stay separated for long. I say Barry is moved back in by end of the 17th episode.

• Mo says:

So did Iris bail or did Barry? ’cause if Iris didn’t break his little heart then he wouldn’t need space. She was ready to spend the rest of her life with Eddie but Iris decides to get picky with Barry. *lol*

• AOTR says:

Neither of them are bailing. Barry is going to move out to give Iris space. Of course he’s heartbroken. Would you want to live with someone who ended an engagement? They both need space and time to think (especially Barry). Barry needs to figure out if he wants to marry her outside of her circumstances. He needs to overcome his fears. And they just need a little break from each other for that to happen. They aren’t machines though, so they need to lick their wounds a little cause they are both pretty broken up right now.

22. jrex says:

Next time she should propose to him!

• Emily says:

lol, cute but I think it needs to be Barry again because he’s the one that messed up this time.

• Mo says:

Nah Iris has always been oddly passive especially when it comes to Barry. Proposing would be OOC for her.

• anon says:

I don’t think I would ever use the word ‘passive’ to describe Iris. I think she’s just not as gushy/openly passionate as Barry when it comes to love declarations. I mean Barrywas basically reciting wedding vows to her back in season 1! I think there will be a day where it’s Iris’s turn to surprise Barry with something.

• Mo says:

Wait you’re right Iris did something. She disengaged them. And Barry did seem surprised. You got me there.

• Micaela says:

How’s that obsession with Iris and her feelings going for you Mo. by the looks of things her being the center of Bary’s life and the heartbeat of the show annoys you to no end, knowing this brings me much joy. But in case you haven’t been following the narrative. Iris loves Barry and wants to be with him as she so clearly stated in the lst episode, but she doesn’t want to be engaged to someone who is so short sighted on what the commitment of marriage actually means. Barry Allen needs to get his house in order not only for Iris’s sake but for his as well, once he is able to do that our resident love birds will be back on solid ground being cute as ever to warm my cold heart and continue to annoy you to no end :).

• Mo says:

Micaela-Yeah that’s the problem. Since they officially hooked up Iris didn’t step up so much as Barry stepped back waaaaaaay back. You can sum up every ep this season as the team figures out the problem while Barry & Iris either just stand there or are canoodling in their love nest ending with the usual reminder the last 5 minutes that he’s the title character. Not only is Iris not the heart of the show she’s sideline Barry with her. Between Barry/Iris & Wally/Jesse this show has really become a soap opera. They should be honest & call it what it is season 1 of As the World Turns with Team Flash & Random Slow Guy.

23. Carla Krae says:

Barry doesn’t listen and doesn’t learn, so the Speed Force will have to do tough love. Last time’s more gentle approach didn’t stick. He hasn’t followed Jay’s advice, either.

24. Scribe says:

Pretty sure Wally is Savitar.

25. Jess says:

Thank God for this interview. I was freaking out….I mean I’m still freaking out a little but every couple has it’s bumps. And every OTP has it’s angst, this is theirs! They will overcome this but man it’s going to hurt my shipper heart. Westallen have been so blissful.

LOVE LOVE LOVE Grant’s interview. I was into the proposal too. They just need to trust their love.

26. Isabella says:

I’m hurting just to know the fact that in some alternate universe iris gets murdered save her from the living hell savior will create

27. AOTR says:

Great interview. I doubt they will break up anytime soon. This is a bump – albeit a big one, but they’ll figure this out.

28. Gift says:

Berry might have gone about the proposal thing in a silly way or reason but I personally don’t see anything wrong. Berry has always nd forever loved Iris this is not a question weither he loves her or not. who wouldn’t do everything possible to save the person they love? Iris should stop doubting nd trust Berry. wally should suffer in there a little.

• AOTR says:

Iris knows Barry loves her. But love is not enough to sustain a marriage. And going about proposing in a deceitful way motivated by a fear you claimed you no longer had is a red flag. This is bigger than their relationship. Barry needs to learn not to let his fears govern his decision making. Barry said he proposed because he got caught up in the moment. How do we know he doesn’t later regret it? That would explain why Iris atill had no ring on her finger in the vibe Cisco took Wally to right before he exposed Barry. Barry should have been upfront about his motives from the start instead of immaturely lying to her (“I’m done worrying about the future/let’s make our future” garbage) and messing with her emotions the way he did. It took everything away from that milestone and turned it into a scheme. So of course Iris [being robbed of her joy and trust] is gonna doubt Barry. And she should. He has a lot to learn. Hopefully the speedforce whips him into shape.

29. Gift says:

Right, Iris should understand how much Berry loves her, he would do or go any lent for her. How is saving her life not a gesture of his true love for her? he spends his time nd Surrounds himself with ways to save her, only her. I more made at Wally for causing this problem.

• Emily says:

There’s a difference between loving someone enough to not let them die and wanting to get married and start a life. Of course Barry loves Iris, but if he’s not actually ready for marriage and “getting caught up in the moment,” then what happens after she’s safe? She doesn’t want either of them to regret it later and she doesn’t want to be a burden or an object to him. She wants to be his equal and his partner, which he’s currently too blinded by fear to treat her as.

30. Gift says:

Right, Iris should understand how much Berry loves her, he would do or go any lent for her. How is saving her life not a gesture of his true love for her? he spends his time nd Surrounds himself with ways to save her, only her. I’m more mad at Wally for causing this problem.

• AOTR says:

She is not hurt that he proposed to save her life. She is hurt that it was motivated by fear and lies. How does that bode well for a successful marriage? He messed with her head by pulling this. Wally was a douche exposing barry publicly like that, but Barry is still ultimately in the wrong. Decisions motivated by fear are often bad decisions. Barry has a lot to learn before he should be marrying anyone.

31. Micaela says:

*Clutches heart* the angst train is leaving the station and I am not ready to board at all. That said after the proposal revelation I did expect things to go a little south for them, my hope is like Grant said they find a way to trust their love and each other, and Barry for crying out loud stops being so irrational. I get it dude you love her more than life itself, but why not spend that time living instead of driving her away in order to “change” the future that isn’t even guaranteed. With this second trip to the speedforce I really hope Barry learns this lesson (but knowing this show I’m sure we’ll see him repeating all these mistakes again le sigh) I’m looking forward to the upcoming episodes and seeing how Barry and Iris work on getting the relationship back to it’s fluffy self. Poor Wally I hope to god they find a way to get him out, all he wanted to do was save his sister, he doesn’t deserve to be stuck in the speedforce.big thanks to you Matt for getting Grant to talk about Westallen, it’s been 84 years ish…

32. RichieS says:

When Iris sees the chemistry Barry and Supergirl have next week as they sing together she may have second thoughts about breaking it off. Then again, her jealousy may compel her to do that very thing. Barry, if all else fails rumor has it there’s a cute blond in Star City that is single again.

33. anon says:

Guess Grant gave out a spoiler, huh? I see there’s a line missing!

34. Lauren says:

Honestly, this is so encouraging, even if it is a little bittersweet. With Grant touch’n go social media, it’s nice to hear straight from him what’s up, especially when it’s related to westallen. Amazing article! Keep ’em coming!!

35. Elena Archibald says:

If Grant holds out hope for WestAllen so do I!!!

36. Cola says:

the reason why Barry proposed is similar to a soap opera storyline, why do the producers turn this show into days of our lives.

37. cb says:

I love Grant

38. mali says:

39. Amah Lydia says:

i don’t know if am wrong but i heard shantel(patty) is filming in a series call ‘shooter’ and she is the lead role.so she might not be coming back and even if she is coming back,am not scared as a westallan fun cause i noe barry and iris love each other. thou things are not going on well for them lately.barry loves iris with all his heart and iris too and i know they will be back together very soon.barry and patty got zero chemistry

40. Bruce Wayne says:

Older Barry is Savitar!

41. Court Ellis says:

STOP BREAKING SEPARATING AND TEARING APART BARRY AND IRIS DANG IT………LOL!!!

42. courtellis says:

Stop breaking up separating or pulling apart Barry and Iris dang it!!! LOLOLOLOL!!!