New Girl Is Probably 'Done' After Season 6, Says Jake Johnson

New Girl has yet to be renewed — and series star Jake Johnson says he doesn’t think it’s likely that the Fox comedy will return for a seventh season.

In a new interview with The Daily Beast, Johnson states that he doesn’t expect the long-running sitcom — on which he co-stars opposite Zooey Deschanel — to continue past its current Season 6.

“Fox won’t tell us [whether the show will be renewed],” Johnson says. “But we shot a finale where, if this was the end, the core fan base would be OK.”

And it’s a good thing the April 4 finale is said to provide closure, because Johnson goes so far as to state that “I think after this season it’s done.”

For what it’s worth: Several of Fox’s series haven’t yet received renewals or cancellations, and we hear that New Girl actually has a good chance of coming back.

New Girl, a hit for Fox in its first couple of seasons, has struggled in the Nielsen ratings as of late. Its most recent episode on Feb. 28 drew a mere 2.2 million viewers, and a 0.9 in the 18-49 demo.

UPDATE: Johnson weighed in once more via Twitter on Sunday, clarifying that the show’s chances are “50/50”:

Do you suspect the end is near for New Girl? Would you be sad to see it go so soon? Drop your thoughts in a comment below!

1. Rob says:

To be honest, Fox did a really good job this year with comedies that can replace New Girl as their premiere comedy. Before this season, their comedy slate was really weak. Save for Last Man on Earth, New Girl was the only one worth anything and that’s not saying much because the quality has rapidly gone downhill.

• Adam says:

Brooklyn Nine-Nine has been really solid as well, and Bob’s Burgers is still a good mark in their animation-comedy night.
      The Simpsons and Family Guy are over the hill in quality, but they’re reliable staples in the lineup

• maiyagdee says:

You must be kidding me!! Brooklyn 9 9 has been Sucking since the Second Season!! what was that undercover thing they were doing??? Totally missing any comedy mark. You know when your watching SNL and the Skit is too long and too boring… that is Brooklyn 9 9.

• Julia says:

Well each to their own, I personally think B99 is awesome, the humor is fast and smart and they actually address important issues in today’s society. The crime stuff is exciting and the show doesn’t have endless relationship drama.

• Honest says:

Johnson knows nothing. It will be back.

• Blair Ramsey says:

I stopped watching NG this season. It’s funny, but I’ve lost interest. I wish I wasn’t the only person who is in LOVE with Scream Queens. I wish that would be returning, but TVL seems to think the chances aren’t good. It’s such a fun show! Bobs, Family Guy, Last Man on Earth and the new Making History are all funny shows….they do comedies well, I just pray my Scream Queens will return.

• maiyagdee says:

Yes you are the only one who loves Scream Queens…. watched a half an episode and begun to wonder why did it even get the green light… Maybe because Halloween was coming up and they were desperate idk. Give that show the ax.

• Michelle H says:

There is nothing new on fox that could come close to replacing New Girl!

2. laura says:

noooo
    new girl is on a streak! it’s really fuuny right now

3. Adam says:

That is surprising. I guess I could see how things would wrap up – with Cece and Schmidt are leaving the loft and Winston is getting married it is a bit of a transitional year. But at this point they’d need to accelerate on tying up loose ends with Nick and Jess. It still doesn’t feel like it’s close to ending and if they are going to end it, I wish they’d build up to it.

4. Cari says:

New Girl can’t end! I love it too much!

5. Siria Love says:

no i love new girl, come on Fox!!!!! i just want another season peeease

6. Gina says:

I absolutely love this show. It’s been so good this season. But with that said, I would be ok if it ends. I feel like they’ve done all they can with these characters. Jess is finally a school principal, Schmidt and CeCe are married, Winston is getting ready to be married, and Nick is Nick.

7. Sherry says:

New Girl is such a hit or miss show. When an episode works, it really works; but there are a lot of really bad episodes mixed in. If the show ends I will miss it, but it might be time to call it quits. I just hope Lamorne Morris, Jake Johnson, and Max Greenfield end up back on my television very soon if this is the end. I love those three actors, and I want to see new shows with them in the future.

• Patrick says:

Agreed. Year 2 was particularly spotty. Community had the same issue(s). When an ep worked, it was great. Too many didn’t, and still don’t. Further, often the “A” story is good, but the “B” story is a real anchor that drags everything to a screeching halt.

• maiyagdee says:

Yes a spin off with them would be great!! I love your thinking.

8. Kam says:

I feel like they should have one more season (shortened or whatever) and then end it.

I just want to see Winston and Aly get married

9. Carmen says:

Nooo! I really hope there is at least one more season, even if it is shortened.

• Devon says:

There NEEDS to be more seasons we need to know what happens with Jess and Nick and CeCe is pregnant remember pleaseeee don’t end it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Hamish says:

It has to go on forever!

#53seasonsand12movies

11. Oncer93 says:

I feel like the best way to end the show would be them selling the loft, Cece amd Schmidt are moving into their house, maybe they will talk about starting a family, Winston is getting married and will probably move in with Aly, Nick and Regan won’t last, they’ll break up before the finale, thus Regan moving out, and then there is the unresolved Nick/Jess thing, Nick still dosn’t know that Jess still loves him, with Winston moving in with Aly and Regan eventually moving out i doubt Nick and Jess will want to find new roomates, they will either find a new place together whether that’d be as a couple or as roomates not together or they move into seperate apartments, they are all growing up and them Selling the loft would be a sign of them growing up and moving on.

12. Audrey WB says:

This is so stupid. Fox doesn’t have solid comedies like New Girl. New comers didn’t do any better than New Girl. And this season has been a filler. If we don’t get a better planned last season it’d be such disrespect to the fans. Core fans deserve a GREAT ending not an OK ending. Jake shouldn’t have spoken like this. I am so MAD!

• ndixit says:

Newcomers with the same ratings are preferable to the network because older shows are more expensive. Plus, New Girl has an ensemble cast which must cost more than shows with a single or two leads where the supporting cast can be culled to reduce cast.

• Audrey WB says:

Wasted newcomers are more expensive in my opinion. New Girl has a solid fanbase. Nevertheless, we deserve a better ending than an OK ending. They can give us a short mid-season and be done with it.

13. T.W.S.S. says:

I’ve been treating this as the final season (CeCe and Schmidt are moving out, Winston’s getting married for realz, Nick and Jess seem poised to get back together). The signs are there. Megan Fox and Nasim Pedrad were good additions, but the later seasons weren’t as funny as the first two.

14. jbj says:

While Jake’s comment about the final seems lukewarm in the context of Jess & Nick’s romantic future, as fans would probably be more than OK with a full-blown reunion, I think ending the show this season would be a good place. I agree with others that it has been a creative rollercoaster, and ending it now would be a mini-high point (at least based on the last few episodes). And, the characters have evolved enough for satistifactory closure (not to mention moving out of the loft).

15. Wiz says:

I kind of understand. With Fox having new comedies like The Mick New Girl is becoming yesterday’s news on that network. I’ll be sad if this is the final season but I’ll be okay with it. As long as it’s wrapped up with a satisfying ending.

16. Alyson says:

I hope not. It had finally got it’s grove back after that disaster of a third season.

• Casey says:

Agreed. The viewers fled after season 3 because it felt like an insanely different show. They overexaggerated the quirks that made the characters different and enjoyable AND failed to see that this was making them unlikeable. Mainly Jess and Schmidt. Most viewers didn’t come back, even after they tried to get it together.

17. Ohhh HELL NO!!! This was not the season the fans deserve. This was not the season the show deserved to be remembered as the last one. If Nick and Jess end up like Ross and Rachel there will be hell to pay!

18. Barbara Luber says:

I watch the current season, and watch every rerun every day. I would be very very sorry to see it go. It is “Friend”all over again. One of the best sit-coms ever.

19. Jared says:

This seems like a pretty big statement considering Fox hasn’t made a decision one way or the other.

• Haz says:

You’re saying that as if this show has stellar ratings and is still getting award recognition. Fox has renewed a number of shows already including The Mick. Zooey is pregnant and while I haven’t read how far along she is I’m pretty sure that might end up factoring in when it comes to the production schedule if they were to get another season. I have a feeling if this show does not end this season then definitely next season both New Girl and Brooklyn will be airing their final seasons. Brooklyn cannot be cheap and as much as I love it, it’s ratings aren’t that great.

20. Maria S says:

Oh NOOOOOOOOOO – this show is not done yet!!! Nick and Jess are only about to get back together again; it can’t end with their reunion in the season finale and then no more?!?! There’s tons of things to explore in season 7: Schmidt and Cece managing their new house, maybe expanding their family, Winston and Aly’s wedding, Nick and Jess falling in love all over again… All New Girl fans out there, please join us in the #reNewGirl campaign on Twitter on Tuesday to help us get s season 7 of this wonderful show!!!

• Kimberly Mlejnek says:

I can not agree more. I could have written every word. One more season oh for the LOVE OF GOD PLEASE

• Amanda says:

I so agree!!! We need a baby from Schmidt and Cece, Winston and Aly need to get married, and Nick and Jess need to get engaged!!! That is a whole season right there lol!!!

• Devon says:

21. Denise Sharp says:

We love the characters on New Girl. We record all the episodes and watch at least one every night. We will be very sad if we have to say goodbye so soon!

22. Lauren says:

Wow, this is disappointing to hear from a cast member. If New Girl ends after this season it will be the biggest mistake ever. This is clearly the weakest season of the show. Nick Miller got written into a dumb Joey version of FRIENDS. Jessica Day was written so desperate to date her own cousin she didn’t even want to date at first! And why they kept bringing Megan Fox in again and again is something I’ll NEVER understand. It’s a shame to Zooey Deschanel. I get that writing around a pregnancy belly could be challenging but millions of shows has proven over and over that it won’t turn your show into a boring dull bad written one. Zooey Deschanel and Jake Johnson could do way better. We all know this? The show has been lacking since Liz left or got less involved. We need less middle age men writing and more women (or maybe just more Liz.. idk) back because this is insulting. Also, Jake said the ending would be “ok.” Who wants OK?????? Seriously? I’m super pissed off

23. Courtney pare says:

Nooo! I love this show! :( I would be very sad to see it go!

24. Jenny says:

It’s been really good this season. I would miss it but I would be glad to have it go out on a high note.

25. kmw says:

Well first off it is probably likely 50 50 that New Girl comes back for several reasons. One they haven’t done exceptionally well lately in ratings even from just a couple of years ago. Two the show is getting older and FOX really needs to clean house. And then is of course the fact that Zooey Deschanel is pregnant and she doesn’t live in California full time( I believe she lives in Texas). With her pregnancy again you are looking at the show most likely working around it and or not airing it until sometime in 2018. Then again Megan Fox, if they could get her, could make any possible absence of Zooey, not as bad. However FOX may not think that’s feasible. one thing going for it is syndication but that might not be enough. I wouldn’t be surprised if FOX dropped it

26. Gregg says:

The show has run its course. Was a delight the first 3 seasons, but story lines and characters are used up. Time for her to find true and grow up.

27. N says:

Ive watched New Girl from the very beginning and Ive been feeling a lot this season that maybe, if they ever wanted a proper way to go out this was it. Jess is finally principal,, Schimdt and CeCe are moving out, Winston’s engaged. The show could very well go another season or 2, but if it ever wanted to go out on top, this may be the best time to do so. Thus I hope the finale offers a proper conclusion if this is indeed the end.

28. BrianR says:

I watched some this season but I’m sorry these people are complete moron. I can’t stand Nick at all.

• R.O.B. says:

I agree. They should end this and make a spinoff about Winston and Aly having a family. Some other town so they can move on from the rest of the loft.

29. JC says:

I think it would be a mistake to cancel the show. It’s a great show. All these networks are just taking movies and creating sitcoms. Where’s the originality lately? These people get paid big bucks and can’t even come up with an original idea.

30. CP says:

This would be such a waste. I loved this show, I had plenty of laughs with this series, but I stopped by season 5 because the story went real stale real fast, and I since doubled down on 2BG, Blackish, Fresh off the Boat, and Dr. Ken (I just love 2BG the same way most folks love Chipotle, and ABC REALLY stepped up their comedy game this season.)

31. TV Gord says:

I’ve laughed to the point of light-headedness at some of the moments this season. Glue was one that particularly had me coming unglued! I think creatively, they still gave more to say, and I enjoy these characters immensely, so I hope we get a seventh season.

32. Pedro says:

So, “Gone, Girl”.

33. Gabrielle says:

I need more New Girl! Just wish the schedule was more reliable. If I didn’t have a DVR I’d never be able to keep track as to when each new episode is on. This is why I appreciate the way OUAT has been redesigned. It’s on every Sunday for a decent period of time, lengthy mid season break but back to being on every Sunday. Please more New Girl!

34. tjchurch2001 says:

Think it might be a “theory of relativity” move on Fox’s part, as one of the sisters may only remind some viewers of the other, so end them at same time.

Also, I for one would like to see Zooey have more work in movies, & it seems Jake is doing a lot… Though hope nobody is trying-out pilot season yet. (Watched the pilot, & quality changed so much when one actor had to go back to “Happy Endings”.)

• kmw says:

Ending Bones which has Zooey’s sister Emily on it, was a decision made a year ago at least. Emily’s show leaving has nothing to do with this and I seriously doubt New Girl viewers see Emily in her and vice versa. I know I don’t.. And just because Jake Johnson said this( which it seems he backtracked on by the way) doesn’t mean New Girl is done. Pregnancy or not it is possible FOX can work around her and get a shortened final season from them. And while I said earlier that I wouldn’t be surprised if FOX drops it nor would I be surprised if they keep it with or without Zooey. Nothing FOX does surprises me anymore so replacing Zooey with another ” new girl” isn’t out of the realm of possibilities

• tjchurch2001 says:

It may not be outside that realm, but I for one don’t see why to bring in another one, in the same hole (albeit a different name, but REALLY just another “New Girl”), especially with Zooey handling the opening-song vocals (which the replacement would then also need to do making the possible casting smaller).

Also, you may not see a connection for the viewers, etc… However, that is only you; I have read many comments, tweets, etc., as well as seen either guest on talk shows, where the topic comes up of one guesting on other’s show (or even just being an extra) since they are in the same literal family & on the same network on different nights & different-genre shows.

35. Mary Lugo says:

I think New Girl is a great show. I would love for it to continue. It makes you laugh, but it also makes you think about what is important in life.

36. Mary Lugo says:

I love to watch New Girl. It funny, and yet can teach us what is important in life.

• tjchurch2001 says:

Hey! Look whose comments are practically posted so it looks like they’re responding to themselves to say the same thing!!

Regardless, though, as the pizza saying goes, “Anyway you slice” your posted opinion, I still disagree. As I read another comment on this article said (think the name was Patrick), it always seems obvious to me which one is/are the “A” & “B” stories, as they are on complete opposite ends of the spectrum: One gets all the writers’ concentration, & the other is like the burger’s wrapper, getting tossed when you’re done b/c surely nobody needs it now.

If I were a Nielsen family or had my TV-watching being monitored for some other reason, many would say I watch too much. However, that (& any more studying of my watching) means/proves 2 things without a doubt:

1] I have never been a “shipper”.

2] If I say a show needs to be cancelled &/or has jumped the shark, it probably did the latter a few seasons ago.

37. Ella says:

Get rid of this and bring back Happy Endings.

• Ella says:

And yes, I know they were on different networks.

• tjchurch2001 says:

Also, one hurt the other by taking its actor back after an assured cancellation.

Googling that to prove it a few weeks ago on an article like this proved to me that “HE” actor returned to “NG” in a different role… To bad; ALL Damon Wayans should get off-camera.

38. AJ says:

From a pure ratings standpoint, it should end. I understand fans not wanting it to end, but hopefully fans understand the economics aspect…

39. Bruce Blume says:

New Girl is one of just a few tv shows I look forward to. If NG is cancelled that’s a huge strike against Fox.

40. CC says:

I hope this is not true! New Girl is my favorite show. I love all the characters. I think they need one more season to give it a proper ending!

41. R.O.B. says:

Hate to say it, but I am fine with this series ending. HOWEVER, I’d be all over a spinoff that focuses on Winston. Shoot, have him and Aly move to New York, get married and have kids, and live near Coach. And maybe it wouldn’t have to be all about sex. Lamorne Morris is hilarious, but it would be nice to see his character mature a little and mine the comedy out of all the other parts of adulthood and growing older.

42. Riley says:

What’re the odds! Zooey and Emily both unemployed at exactly the same time.

43. I love the show and think they’ve really hit their groove, but I’d be okay with it ending this year if I get the ending I want with Nick and Jess.

44. Staci says:

Please don’t cancel New Girl! It is hilarious and one of our favorite shows. It is the kind you laugh out loud so the kids are like, “what are you watching?” funny!

45. GuessWhat says:

I’ve watched from the start, but I will be OK if it ends. Especially if the last episode is enough of a finale style as he said.

46. Sally says:

I would like to see them get a known final season. The show has gotten really again, once they got rid of Coach.

47. Give it one more season and a proper finale, Fox. I love this show, it and big bang are my favorite comedies and have been since the beginning. I want at least one more season.

48. icrodriguez7 says:

There better be at least one more season so that they can FIX how BADLY THEY DESTROYED Nick & Jess these past few seasons. It needs one more season!

49. Kate says:

I hope there is more seasons of New Girl in the future. I would definitely be sad to see it go so soon.

50. Jana says:

It better have another season. I rarely laugh out loud when it comes to tv shows, but I laugh so much, I cry when I watch New Girl.