Game of Thrones Season 7 Spoilers Maisie Wililams

Game of Thrones EPs Confirm Season 8 Ep Count, Joke (?) About a Big Death

Seven hells: Game of Thrones‘ final season will, indeed, consist of only six episodes, the HBO series’ showrunners confirmed Sunday. But fans of the drama’s Stark family may have even more to be sad about, if a joke (?) made by Maisie Williams during a recent panel turns out to be the real thing.

Williams and co-star Sophie Turner moderated a conversation with showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss at the event, which was part of the annual SXSW festival in Austin, Texas. And when the topic of  Turner’s hair — which is still blonde, instead of Sansa-red — came up, William’s said, “She’s dead.”

Was it in jest? Probably, considering that A Storm of Spoilers podcast tweeted that Benioff seemed to continue in the same vein.

Then again, this is the same show that had us all snowed regarding Jon’s status, so you can never be too wary…

Regarding the show’s final season episode count: In January, HBO programming president Casey Bloy told TVLine that Benioff and Weiss were still deciding how long Season 8 would run.

“They’re still figuring it out because I think they’re trying to get a shape of the season,” Bloy said at the time. “They always do what they think [will yield] the best version of the show. It’s all about how many they’re comfortable [with]. But I’ll always take more.”

As announced earlier in March, Thrones will return to HBO on Sunday, July 16.

1. Wordsmith says:

Given how relentlessly spoiler-conscious everybody involved with the show has become, it’s impossible to read into the accuracy of a comment like this. Is it a joke, or a truth bomb designed to look like a joke as a double fake-out?
    Given the show’s track record, I suppose it wouldn’t be terribly shocking either way.

2. Shirley Venton says:

Please see if you are able to come up with another season. This can’t end!! It is the best show I have ever seen and I’ve been watching tv since tv came into existence. Thanks for the chance to express myself.

3. Kevin Tran says:

Six episodes for the final season of GoT is really something.

4. N says:

I was disappointed at first to hear the next 2 seasons would be only 7 and 6 episodes respectively, but Id rather have an awesome action packed and higher budgeted 13 episodes, then 20 episodes that feel strained. Benioff and Weiss have earned my respect and trust, if this is what they want , I’m cool with it and cant wait to see how they wrap this thing up.

5. canadian ninja says:

I’m sorry but (hyperbole)EVERYONE(/hyperbole) knew Jon was not gonna stay dead.

This…well the short answer is Maisie doesn’t give many f—s and/or “She wears a wig” isn’t much of a fun answer.

My boss theory – Sansa thinks bleaching her hair blonde will dissuade a certain older man from staring so much while murmuring “Catelyn” under his breath.

6. Delia says:

Who was “snowed regarding Jon’s status”?!?? Certainly not anyone who watches the show. We ALL knew he wasn’t going to stay dead. Worst kept “secret” in TV history.

7. Ally Oop says:

13 episodes doesn’t seem like enough time. You’d think it would take at least a few episodes for Danareys to take over Westeros and maintain it and then there’s the White Walkers to contend with after that…I guess they could do it but I wonder how many major characters will bite the dust in this upcoming season. There might not be that many left by the final season. I won’t complain about the episode count though. I trust the writers. After all, the makers of GoT originally conceived this show as a 6-episode miniseries. Can you imagine?

8. Ws says:

I wouldnt make much out of hair color… wouldnt take her long to dye it and she may have finished shooting already for this season.

9. I feel the people paying for HBO are getting cheated by Game of Thrones. I think getting only six episodes is highway Robert. We deserve all ten episodes., especially waiting for so long