'Vampire Diaries' Finale Week
The Vampire Diaries Best Worst Couples

Vampire Diaries' 15 Most Epic Romances (and a Few We'd Rather Forget)

To borrow my favorite phrase from That ’70s Show‘s Kitty Forman, the characters on The Vampire Diaries “switch partners more than square dancers” — and we love them for it.

During the past eight seasons, TVD has given us countless ‘ships to enjoy, from short-term affairs like “Mabekah” (Matt and Rebekah) to longer-lasting relationships like “Steroline” (Stefan and Caroline, naturally). And then there were the love triangles — my Glob, the triangles!

With the series finale — which promises several reunions between former flames — now less than 12 hours away, TVLine is looking back at 15 of our favorite pairings. (As the headline suggests, this is only a list of romantic relationships on the show. (Trust me, if we were going non-romantic, this list would begin and end with “Defan.”)

Of course, not every ‘ship deserved a spot on this list. Here are a few dishonorable mentions:

* Caroline and Alaric, who thankfully realized their incompatibility before Caroline got killed — you know, like literally everyone else Alaric has been with.
* Silas and Amara, the li’l cheaters who started it all.
* Stefan and Valerie, whose touching backstory was eventually trumped by poor decision-making in the present.
Lily and Enzo, who came dangerously close to breaking the bro code (aka “bros don’t sleep with other bros moms.”)
* And, of course, Damon and Caroline, who thankfully never bring up their brief period of boning in Season 1.

Flip through our gallery of the 15 most epic romances — you can click here for direct access — then drop a comment with your own favorites, and least favorites, below. (And don’t just be like “You guys are stupid” if we don’t share your opinion. It’s OK to disagree with people. This is America!)

1. Chrissy says:

Yes Klaroline!!! Thank you andy!!! The slow burn relationship between you and our fandom is the real winner tbh :)

• Loren says:

Yes, Caroline and Klaus were so great together. Literally gave me goose bumps.
      Jeremy and Anna, aww, I thought they were so sweet together.
      Stefan and Elena were perfect, hot and a real love story.
      Damon and Katherine, wowwww, they were on fire and kept each other on their toes.
      Matt and Rebecca, yeah, I thought they were pretty funny together. Not forever though, just for a while. Lol
      Rick and Jenna. Didn’t really get a chance but maybe they could have been together.
      Tyler and a supermodel. He’s such a player. Lol
      Bonnie, aww Bonnie. Every time they’d show us any kind of relationship they’d end it as fast as it started. Sorry, Enzo was like Stefan and Caroline, forced and made zero sense.
      Bonnie, didn’t get the love relationship she deserved on this show. She was there for everyone and like a lot of the actors on this show. Got swept under the carpet and the show forced her and the rest of the cast to have Ian pretty much the entire show. I like Ian, just not the whole series.
      Best seasons, 1, 2 and 3, bit of 4. Then it crashed.

• Gift says:

Loren, your list isn’t bad at all especially when u said Tyler and a supermodel, he is such a player. lol yes he is! but do u really think Enzo and Bonnie didn’t work? it seemed forced at first but later worked because fans loved the idea of Bonnie being happy. season 1,2,3 is the best season for me.

• Anna says:

perfect list Loren.I completely agree with every word you wrote i wouldn’t change a thing but the best couple in this show were for sure Stefan and Elena.I don’t know why but to me the very idea of Stefan and Caroline together was horrible.I watched the whole show but i pretty much hated all the seasons except first and second they were awesome

2. Ella says:

Klaroline is my number one! So much potential and I’m still hopeful it will be realized!

• Thithya says:

Agree. It is the most beautiful relationship on the show.
      I can’t believe that they got put behind Stefan and Caroline.

• Ella says:

Yeah, I was actually fine with SC in the beginning but I thought the excecution was AWFUL. I HATED how it was shoved into every moment of her mother dying. That could have been such a good sl becuase the bond between Liz and Caroline improving really seemed to mirror Caroline coming into her own as a vampire. Caroline’s my favorite and I liked Stefan fine but both their characters took major hits to service the ship.

3. TayMads says:

Can someone please explain to me the fascination of Klaus and Caroline? I never got the vibe that she was in love with him. Even after seeing the phone call I still didn’t see it. While I think it’s sweet how he cares about her and knows her I still feel like it’s one sided. Caroline is drawn to him and attracted to him but just because you are attracted to someone doesn’t mean you should be with that person.

• Ella says:

I don’t think anyone thinks that she’s in love with him. But there’s tons of reasons. Caroline is someone who really took to being a vampire and Klaus very much represents that side of her. They kind of challenge each other’s perceptions in a way that Caroline’s other ships just didn’t. She was the best version of herself with Klaus, confident and unafraid to challenge him. Plus, the chemistry was off the charts. And there’s nothing that says attraction can’t lead to more. Alternatively, just because you have a strong friendship doesn’t mean you should be with that person either.

• TayMads says:

My point is though that it has always been clear that Klaus has feelings for her but I don’t think it’s ever been clear for Caroline. She is attracted to him and that is about it. Caroline has always been a character where if she likes someone and wants to be with them it’s very clear. To me, it’s never been made clad by her that she wants to be with Klaus. I’m not against it happening but I think that this ship has been over exaggerated in some people’s minds. I think it has been made into something it isn’t. They were never a couple so I don’t think they should be included in the list.

• TayMads says:

*clear. It’s never been made clear.

• Ella says:

I don’t think Caroline would have *let* herself have serious feelings for him given his status as a villian and her loyalty to her friends but there’s plenty of evidence that it was a struggle. That’s why it was interesting. “Because I saw the good in Klaus,” “When I thought he was worth it,” when she looked to him for comfort after she killed the witches, “Yes, I cover our connection.” and many more. But the beauty of eternity is that Caroline’s morals are bound to change and flex as she does particularly because she’s never been the most strictly moral person to begin with and that she could run across Klaus in the future. And most of her friends are mortal now so she can make choices without their judgement. And of course they’d be included in this list. They’re easily the second most popular ship on TVD and articles like this are all about the clicks.

• Jane says:

I couldn’t have sait it better myself, Ella. I didn’t expect Caroline to run with Klaus to New Orleans back in S05 and leave her friends behind, that wouldn’t be like her. But they’re immortals, Camille is dead and Stefan is human.
            In TVD Klaus was villain and she was a “good vampire”, as she called herself. Since then Klaus got a bit softer after becoming father while Caroline got much darker after getting involved with Stefan. She bent her morals so many times, killing 12 witches wouldn’t shock this post-Steroline Caroline, I mean she was okay with compelling innocents to be guests on that wedding from hell. So Caroline can hardly judge Klaus or anyone for that matter. Plus Caroline and Klaus have been through many similar experiences (even both were tortured by their fathers – I’m watching S03…). They make a brilliant interesting pairing, it’s just a matter of what we get to see on TVD and TO.

• Mandi says:

It was one sided for the longest time even when carolime said yes to go as his date to distract him while others were looking for the sword…they had their very first real moment drinking champagne when Klaus pulled her Miss. Mystic Falls app out & started reading all the spire words…they had a moment & I know Caroline really did bc she was laughing & giggling while Tyler got jealous from a distance…then once Klaus left town & came back for the graduation not just bc they needed his blood to cure a wolf bite but he finally gave Caroline what she had been asking for from him all that time…to once & for all let Tyler be free as her graduation present. That wasn’t what made it but led to the ultimate moment when Caroline & him had hot vampire/hybrid sex in the woods…she literally raped him! I was routing for them up until she ended up dating Stefan then having babies. That kinda killed it for Klaus & Caroline but as Damon would say I’ve never seen you more alive…I’ve never seen Caroline more alive now.

4. Riana says:

Jeremy and Anna could have had a chance if Kevin Williamson had changed the plans for her based on the positive reception to her character.

• Ally Oop says:

Yup. I was really disappointed that the show killed off Anna. She really fit well on the show, especially with Jeremy.

• Mandi says:

I honestly didn’t care for Anna in general ever! She literally killed the vibe & was just weird…maybe if another person had played that part but it was something about her I just didn’t like & her with Jeremy no thank you! I loved Bonnie & him together up until her & Enzo topped off every relationship ever in the show. Bonnie & Enzo…wow! Jeremy & Vicki or Anna hell no….I chose Bonbon for him but he dipped out & now her heart is forever taken!

5. Fazi says:

Just Stelena

6. Julia says:

Stelena!!

7. Emily says:

ew. why is klaroline on here

8. Christine says:

Faves
    Klaus and Caroline
    Bonnie and Enzo
    Elena and Damon

9. Cas says:

Man I actually liked a lot of these. I liked Bonnie and Jeremy but I also liked Jeremy and Anna. Not sure on Bonnie and Enzo as I haven’t really watched those seasons. But man Caroline gets around. I remember loving her with Matt. Then really liking her with Tyler. They were good together. I liked the feelings Klaus had for her but I don’t think she ever cared as much. The episode where he saved her was great. Was always a Damon and Elena supporter but mainly bc she just had more chemistry with him. Stefan was always sorta boring and bland. Alaric and Jenna were my fave too. Poor Alaric. No luck really.

10. Mark McGillivray says:

My fave were Klaus and Caroline and Tyler and Liverpool also Jo and Alaric

11. Ally Oop says:

I actually liked Stephen with Valerie. And a pairing I really would have liked to see happen was Bonnie and Damon…

12. Wordsmith says:

Basically, what we learn from all this is that Candice apparently has screen chemistry with anything that moves, and the writers are shameless about capitalizing on it.

13. Stacey says:

Thank you for including Klaroline, my favorite TVD ship. Just one thing, Damon raped Caroline, it wasn’t consensual, which makes it the most disgusting ship!

14. joy says:

always stelena!

15. I would love to see Caroline and Klaus together..Stefan and Elena together..Bonnie and Damon together..I love the vampire diaries and I will truly miss everyone in those most amazing and exciting show..I never got so hooked to a show before until I started watching TVD…I wish all the cast best of luck and I can’t wait to see what exciting adventures they have next..

16. Bonnie Slayes says:

I’ll just say I agree with half of them but for md most epic romances of TVD are Stelena and Bonenzo. Only Caroline relationship I liked was with Tyler.

17. Liz says:

I agree with the couples on the list. Not necessarily in that order. Though I totally disagree with the way they described Damon and Caroline “relationship” if you could call it that.

18. LizLem says:

Steroline never won me over at all and I’m pretty agnostic on Delena (hot but oddly shallow?) and Stelena. I think I’m sort of sold on the idea that either of those are undermined by their roots in the bros’ earlier feelings for Katherine. Klaroline was sorta briefly titillating but not sure I could really get on board long term, and didn’t try. I enjoyed Forwood more, tbqh!

Must admit, as a big Bonnie fan, I was roped in by Beremy, particularly their first kiss which apparently used up ALL the chemistry of which the pair was gonna be capable. Oh well. I blame his high school boy dopiness. And she gave so much of herself and got LESS THAN NOTHING in return. Sort of a realistic first romance on some level!

In the end…
    Bonenzo is my #1 forevs! Bless ’em, their beautiful pure hearts and (hopefully not much longer) Salvatore-tortured souls. Bonnie is the BEST & Enzo – if sadly short on realization of other goals for the character – proved himself worthy of her. Glad they found each other in all this mess – a perfect TVD match for the ages. Good luck to them in the finale, lol. ;)

19. Todd says:

I always liked Matt and Caroline, and preferred Elena with Stefan, but that could largely be because the storytelling on the show was it its peak when their relationships were in their heyday.

• Ally Oop says:

Yup. The writing in the first 3 seasons was SO GOOD that in hindsight I liked Srelena because since the beginning of Season 4, the writing tanked and we never really got the Delena we wanted.

20. swrwade says:

Instead of saying 15 the first couple Jenna and Alaric says they are number 1.

21. Farah says:

Am I the only one who likes Caroline and Alaric together?…I’d rather them than fricking Steroline UGH

22. Realjustin says:

I just love Stefan and Caroline,she’s done a lot for him,and so have stefan done alot for her.those of you that pair Stefan and Elena together,you should remember it was elena that dumped Stefan.

23. Lala says:

Klaroline is number 7 on the list???
    It deserves to be in the top 3 if not number 1

24. Ali says:

Narratively speaking, nothing beats the relationship between Stefan and Elena. It was well-developed, woven into the plot rather than taking it over, and the actors had great chemistry. After them, Caroline/Tyler probably had the best development.
    If we’re talking about pure chemistry, it was Stefan/Elena, Bonnie/Damon, Klaus/Caroline. I didn’t ship the last two, but it’s impossible to deny the chemistry between KG/IS and JM/CK.
    I also like/liked Bonnie/Enzo but I wish the relationship had more development. The writers had a whole season to build up to it but ended up cramming it all into one episode full of flashbacks. Regardless of how things play out in the finale, I’m annoyed they killed Enzo. We only had 6 episodes left, but the writers just couldn’t pass up the opportunity to destroy Bonnie’s life one last time.

25. Ali says:

Oh, and that description of what Damon did to Caroline is just gross. That wasn’t a relationship, that was Damon abusing Caroline. Even now, their scenes still make me uncomfortable.

26. Lori says:

Always Stelena number one.

27. lol Caroline dated pretty much almost every guy on Mystic Falls. Stelena was cute in S1 and S2, Delena’s chemistry was amazing, especially in S2 and S3, Steroline had a good start and some good moments, and I will always have a special place in my heart for Klaroline.

28. Nandu says:

Stelena and klaroline are my favourite couple and stefan and Valery are worst

29. Gift says:

30. Gift says:

okay! I would go with Stefan nd Elena first, they were totally nd completely meant to be… then there is klaus nd Caroline who has to end up together at any cost. I would have loved the idea of Bonnie and Damon together. that should have been one of the best love in TVD. Yea Matt nd Rebekah was something of a short time. Well I have to say Stefan nd Caroline was not everything loved but they were bond together. Enzo nd Bonnie cute, fun nd sweet together. My last is Damon nd Elena /Katherine. they were good together.

31. Emma says:

Bamon (yes, I know it wasn’t canon, but it should have been) will always be my #1 TVD ship, followed by Stelena. Delena is possibly THE most toxic and unhealthy ship I have ever seen.

32. Why did you guy stop making the show bey chance will there be many more

33. Spencer tollefson says:

Why did you guy stop making the show bey chance will there be many more new one

34. Fayth says:

Favorites
    Damon and elena silas and amara katherine and elijah stefan and caroline klaus and haley tyler and liv matt and rabekah bonnie and enzo jeremy and anna alaric and jo jenna and alaric bonnie and jeremy
    Worst couples
    Stefan and elena damon and katherine klaus and caroline tyler and caroline matt and naudia matt and elena matt and caroline jeremy and vicki tyler and vicki enzo and lily isobel and jon

35. Oll says: