The 100 Renewed Season 5

The 100 Renewed for Season 5

Clarke & Co.’s chances of surviving the nuclear apocalypse just got a lot better.

The 100, whose fourth season is currently airing on Wednesdays at 9/8c, will return for Season 5, TVLine has learned.

CW president Mark Pedowitz made the renewal announcement Friday, though an episode count for Season 5 has yet to be determined.

The 100 is the ninth CW series to score a renewal for the 2017-18 season, joining the likes of Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, Supernatural, Jane the Virgin, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and Riverdale. No word yet on the fates of iZombie and The Originals, both of which have new seasons on the way. Additionally, freshmen series Frequency and No Tomorrow are not expected to return, though neither has been officially cancelled.

And The Vampire Diaries is, of course, ending its eight-season run on this very night. (If you’ve missed any of our lead-up/look-back coverage, feel free to click here and bathe in sweet, smoldery nostalgia.)

Fellow earthlings, does this news make you want to celebrate, Jasper-style? And what are your thoughts on The 100‘s current season? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. Ella says:

Yay! I haven’t started the newest season because I was iffy about it ending on a cliffhanger but I’ll have to catch up now.

• Jami says:

This season is great. I think better than S2.

• Mark says:

Fanservice for Bellarke. The show has gotten so stupid, season 4 was still disappointing and the ratings dropped below a million for the first time ever. Perhaps hardly anyone will be left by the time this ends. It was a great show, Now I actually feel the renewal may be undeserved.

• Jami says:

well the new hot show Riverdale which they promoted the hell out of is undeserved renewal, it hit 0.3 less than a million viewers.

• Megan says:

Riverdale doesn’t cost half as much to make as the 100, a show which should have been cancelled a long time ago.

• egorre says:

“disappointing” is losing half your ratings than last year. Arrow lost half it’s demo last year from 1.0 to 0.5. The 100 only got a boost in the first half last year due to strong series premiere ratings of Legends of Tomorrow and when it wore off, it went back to 0.5/0.4 it usually gets. This year it has been 0.4 since the season premiere. it will drop to 0.3 soon enough but it is the more stable drops compared to everything else on the network. US advertisers don’t care much of the viewership they care about the demo which The 100 is pretty stable in. Renewal was very likely in that point of view which is why people were surprised it wasn’t announced a day earlier when they renewed Riverdale.

• Aaliyah says:

I stopped watching because lexa died. that’s why the views got lower. Most Clexa fans have stopped watching.

2. Erin says:

I am soooooo excited!! Can’t wait for Bellarke to rise!

• Lola says:

And then die. There are no happy endings Jason said that. Clarke will die, it’s on the cards. Not sure I want this show to make me hate it if so.

3. Jami says:

this is what happens when I whine, that The 100 should be renewed for a 5th season.

4. tina says:

Yes yes yes so happy to hear I figured they they would announce at up fronts that s5 would be the last but if it’s already renewed chances are its going to get more seasons.

The current season is freaking great I’m loving everything about it

5. So bitter this crappy show got a s5 when better,similarly rated CW shows didn’t.T100 got lucky this season with the newbies flopping or underperforming and exerting else on CW decling in ratings.I guess this is the final nail in TOs coffin.

• Wordsmith says:

I’m curious – what shows specifically are you thinking about? CW has been relatively merciful when it comes to cancellations for several years now.

• You’re joking right?In 5 years since Pedowitz took over Secret Circle,HoD,Messengers,Reign,VD,Containment,Ringer,Nikita,BatB,ANTM,Star-Crossed,Cedric’s Barber Battle,Significant Mother,Seed,Backpackers,Famous in 12 have been cancelled and Frequency,NT are most Likley going to be cancelled too and pretty Likley TO too.

• Wordsmith says:

Okay, but which of those were as good as The 100 and similarly rated? I’ll maybe give you Containment and Secret Circle. I liked Tomorrow People (which you missed) and Star-Crossed, but neither clicked creatively as well as The 100. I loved Nikita and Reign at the start, but both were starting to feel played out after a few seasons, so cancellation came at the right time.

• Goldenvibefan says:

This 100%. A lot of the shows Brandy mentioned weren’t that great. Out of all of those, Nikita’s early seasons, Tomorrow people (A good show that wasn’t mentioned for some reason), and maybe Secret Circle were at the same quality as the 100. Containment was eh, VD lasted long for a CW show. BaTB, and Reign were dragged out too long in my opinion. Messengers was just straight up not good. Creatively speaking, very few have clicked like the 100 has. Lots of them dragged on long enough as it is, and others just weren’t creative.

• brandydanforth81 says:

Plenty of those shows were as good or better than the despot t100& rated better and “clicked crest key” better than t200.Uts YOUR opinion that the shows I mentioned went as good as t100.

• V.J. says:

I was so upset about Secret Circle at the time and still am. That was a good show. And their ratings weren´t even that bad at the beginning of the season. They declined over the last few episodes and if I remember correctly the show got cancelled because of high production costs. And I liked TTP a lot, but they had real pacing problems in the first few episodes which certainly didn´t help.
            At the end of the day: The 100 probably got renewed because with a season 5 they get pushed over the number of episodes they need for syndication. They did it with Reign and Beauty and the Beast. And TO won´t probably get another season because they don´t need another one to get to 70.

• Ally Oop says:

Star-Crossed and Containment were DOA, they had zero chance due to poor scheduling which was a shame because both were pretty good. The Secret Circle probably should have been renewed, I think the CW jumped the gun a bit with its cancellation. Everything else that was cancelled was warranted. And CW has renewed an awful lot of shows that should have been cancelled due to poor ratings such as with Jane the Virgin, Crazy Ex, Reign, Beauty & the Beast, etc.

• Jason says:

New shows do have an uphill battle, but if you make it past season 1, you’re likely to have a good run. Nikita was on for 3 and1/4 seasons and got to wrap up on it’s own terms. Reign, Beauty and the Beast and Hart of Dixie went even longer and were given the same consideration. Vampire Diaries was on for 8 years for gods sake! That’s a long run even on CBS. A lot of the show’s that failed, weren’t that great to begin with. I really don’t think their pass-fail rate is much better or worse than other networks. Also, their ratings are much lower, so they lean on shows with strong and dependable fan bases. This means that new shows need to build a powerful social media voice as much as steady ratings. The CW is a network of cult fandom and without it doing exactly what it’s doing, most of their many great shows would not survive elsewhere.

• KLS says:

A lot of those shows were unwatchable.

• LK says:

Nikita got way more chances than it deserved considering it’s ratings were minuscule. Reign & B&B likewise got too many seasons for what they deserved creatively and ratings wise. VD lasted about two seasons too long also. Containment should have been marketed as a limited series… the potential for continuing it just wasnt there…. Of the other shows you mentioned, only Secret Circle was perhaps killed too soon.

• Katie T says:

First I think you’re wrong about The100 being crappy but that’s personal opinion. But I don’t see how the renewal means the last nail in the coffin of TO. They’re already losing TVD and Reign,and most likely Frequency and No Tomorrow next season and only have 6 pilots I think so unless they’re picking up 5 new shows or upping the episode order for more than 1 or 2 shows as well as taking 2 or 3 pilots to series I think it’s almost certain TO and Izombie get renewed

• CW is running out of room with 10 slots and 9 shows now renewed
        CW has enough WB produced shows (Flash,SPN,SG,LoT,Arrow,RD,t100)
        Izombie will get renewed to get s4 for Netflux or to 70 ish episodes but TO is already there.

• Katie T says:

They aren’t really though as there’s still a number of shows that share timeslots and don’t run full season. And we know they’ve used slots into Summer before to air shows if they’re coming towards the end or ratings aren’t great. They’ll keep TO for at least another season because they’re losing TVD,which wasn’t even really the network’s decision to axe given it seems to be more on story and not being able to guarantee who would be there for another season because of contracts ending. Saying they have enough WB shows already with that list doesn’t even really matter given they already have had two more with TVD and TO
          And as I said,they’re already losing 4 shows for next season unless Frequency or No Tomorrow gets a miraculous renewal. Can anyone even remember the last time the CW lost 5 shows in a single year,if it even ever has?

• brandydanforth81 says:

Yes,Pedowitzs first two seasons .In fact three seasons ago Reign,TTP,TO,and I think Star-Crissed and one more show.
            Second,Pedowizs talk of @ summer programming”has been BS-all it’s been is reruns,reality,and spillover from shows starting in late spring.Only BatB has ever moved to summer despite Pedowitzs big talk of wanting more original summer programming and CW dosent have the budget for summer shows anyway.

• Ella says:

Agreed. I think Supernatural, The Flash, Arrow and Supergirl will all get full season orders and the rest will get 13. So really they can do like 16 if those 4 take a slot each and the other 6 slots have a show running in the fall and one in the spring. Maybe more if they push things later like they did with iZombie this year. The CW is notorious for wanting to wrap things up neatly since they rely on selling to streaming services and TO S4 is supposedly not ending in a super satisfying way.

• brandydanforth81 says:

Even with several shorter season/”linited@shiws CWs running out room.They may not have 15 shows for 10 slots next season like this season and honestly they got lucky that Freq,NT didn’t get back orders or they wouldn’t be able to fit them all in

• Gospino says:

They have lots of room! Not all the renewed shows are 22 episodes, a few run at least partly in summer, and even shows with 22 eps don’t have enough to fill out a season. They have well more than ten slots considering all of this.

• Katie T says:

Exactly! Just by losing 4 shows they’d still have plenty of room to launch 3 or 4 new shows,depending on ep count of each,even if all the current renewed shows and most likely renewed Izombie and TO stayed at the episode counts they’ve all had this season. They aren’t suddenly running out of air time. In fact I think they’d have more time to fill next season given they only launched Riverdale,No Tomorrow and Frequency this season.

• Mark says:

My dear, The 100 is decrepit now, lets allyou hold up our hands and be honest that unless you are just watching for Bellarke, it has gone crappy indeed.

• Jami says:

I disagree with you. I am not watching for Bellarke. S4 has been very good IMO. I can read the books for Bellarke. Well looks like with L+7 1.7 million are still watching.

• Um… The 100 isn’t a dating show. The only people neurotic enough to watch a show based purely on a ship is the Clexas. Now everybody is free to watch and enjoy the show for what it is, rather than be dragged into some ship war. Only an idiot would just watch for Bellarke. The 100 is so much more than that.

• Lola says:

The 100 is so a dating show!! People watch for the ships. It wasn’t always this way but Jason promoted it like that.

• Jane says:

That’s all the 100 is these days Sammy, a dating show. Wake up, your denial and lies stink.

• Jami says:

The 100 is probably IMO one of the best sci-fi series on television. Yes I think a renewal is warranted for The 100. The show has been steady, I also think Season 5 should be it’s last and give us a series finale. It also will have at the end of the season 4 58 episodes, if they give it 13 episode it will put the show over 70 episodes. I am so hoping that S5 does a 5 year time jump, the actors are in their late 20’s and early 30’s. I watched Lost for 6 seasons, they could have finished it in 5 seasons. The only show I have watched for over 6 seasons is Grey’s Anatomy and it is starting to piss me off.

• Soph says:

Jason said he has a definite ending for the show and that he felt good about a season 5. That’s why it got renewed so quickly. Season 5 will be the last. Shame. It had so much potential before they ruined in from season 3 onwards.

• Jami says:

Man you must hate this show. Please tell me a show better than The 100 that isn’t DC show or a Vampire show.

• Sheila says:

Agreed. A lot of these salty “fans” are probably Lexa/Clexa fans so this whole “people are only watching for Bellarke” comments are indeed rich. It’s still one of the more unique, complex, intricately written shows on TV. And it’s been doing fantastic in Netflix views. Well deserved renewal.

6. Rylie says:

I really need to watch this season. Is it as dark as last season?

• Wordsmith says:

It’s very dire, but not as relentlessly depressing.

• Mark says:

Rylie don’t worry, they are still discrimating against all the grounders by picking the ones we like to watch off. And Lexa is gone. So nobody can really die that will be as painful, Jason made sure that they either become killed or unlikeable so I felt pretty emotionless the whole way through. Even for Clarke.

• Rey says:

OMG Lexa, here we go again. She was not even a regular cast member. Man I am a lesbian and I loved Clexa. I knew she was getting killed off. Poor Alyciia -Debman -Carrey is on the cast of Fear The Walking Dead no fame for that and Lexa to be her greatest role. Now that is sad. People on that show die, main characters. I guarantee you a fan favorite will get the ax, this season.

• Maia says:

I hope Alicia Clark gets axed on FTWD this time so that she is free for Lexa. You are right, no fame comes from her in any other form. And Jason messed up bigtime by killing of possibly the biggest character on the show.

• Jane says:

OMG Bellarke here we go again. All the anti-gays come out to play.

• Jane says:

And no I don’t believe you Rey. The amount of ‘gays’ I met that ship Bellarke and hated Clexa and CAN’T POSSIBLY be homophobic only for them to slip up in conversations in other threads is UNREAL. That’s sly manipulative Bellarkers for you, always pretending they are innocent when they are anything but.

7. Patti says:

Not real happy that Frequency will not be renewed!

8. The 100 is renewed? YES!!!!!!

9. Goldenvibefan says:

Awesome! I honestly didn’t think it would just due to ratings. CW seems to be doing the same thing as last year by renewing basically all their shows.

10. C says:

Wooohoooo!!

11. Jason says:

Very glad but not even remotely surprised. It is the CW, after all. The most magnanimous network on television. Now, I just need to be patient for IZombie to return and get the same consideration.

12. fernando933 says:

So happy this show deserve it. I know it isn’t being viewed by many but this is truly one of the best shows out there

• Mark says:

‘Was’ that essential word ‘was’ one of the best shows out there.

• Nup. It still is. Excellent show and so underrated!

• Maia says:

No I think most agree it has gone pretty downhill.

• You think wrong my friend! This season has received considerable praise from fans and critics alike. Even downhill, the 100 is still excellent and beloved.

• Jane says:

Sammy what? This season has received criticism for much of its decisions in reviews, you should have seen how critics slammed it for Octavia’s miraculous survival. And this season saw it stoop to the lowest ratings it ever got, all the way down to less than a million. What fantasy land are you living in, Bellarke land? Season 5 is the last one which is why it was renewed so fast, Jason said he was determined to give it a definite end and like Jason said, this show has no happy endings.

13. Gerald says:

Blah. Didn’t watch it after season 1. I will be very mad if this gets a pick up and iZombie doesn’t. They should have waited to compare.

• Goldenvibefan says:

If the ratings keep up the way they were from last season, IZombie should be fine :)

• Rey says:

I watched one episode of Izombie blah. However I have heard good things about it. My friends and co-workers watch it they love it. me hate Zombies. I am sure it will get renewed. I mean airing it in April CW probably has renewed it just not announced.

14. LK says:

I like this show so i’m happy it’s coming back but this current season has been a bit of a mess creatively so far… Hope they get back on track soon.

• Katy says:

So not true! This season is already more dynamic and interesting than season 3 was. I’m looking forward to each new episode. I think they finally found the right pacing. Hope I’m not jinxing it lol.

• Soph says:

This is very true I agree LK

15. Zoe says:

Thank you to the people at CW/CBS for renewing the show . after the crappy news that Mercy Street was canceled I began to worry about other shows too.

16. Darrick Moreno says:

Thank God, love 💘 this show. Cry and moan haters, love everything so far this show has offered and offers. I’m glad there’s more to come.

17. rayme says:

More iZombie please…while you’re up.

18. Going to have to binge watch this show I see a lot of old faves are starring in it. Zach McGowen
    Paige Turco Isaiah Washington Kate Vernon jus to name a few

19. Ally Oop says:

AWESOME!!! Now the only series I am impatiently waiting the fates of are The Originals, Nashville, Colony, Designated Survivor, Pitch and Workin’ Moms.

20. Gift says:

renewal is good news! I love this show nd I watch to see Clarke and Bellamy not just them but mostly them. Clarke nd Bellamy belongs together regardless of what some people thinks. I wasn’t a fan of Lexa not even a little bit.

• Jane says:

See? Bellarkers need to shut their mouths and stop their open discrimination of Clexa’s and gays when you have just proven that this is basically a dating show and you are just watching to see a heterosexual ship and lets be real, you are happy because Adam and Eve won and you feel everything is now right in the world. At least you are honest I suppose. Unlike some lying scum out there. You are hypocritical though seeing as Bellamy did much worse than Lexa. That might just be a denial of homophobia.

21. Jason says:

This is my favorite show on TV. Love this show. I am so happy that there will be a season 5! I can’t wait to see what direction the show takes next. I think it would be cool if ALIE were to show up again since I believe she hid her code on the arc that’s still in space except with her new update she will actually be a friend to humanity this time generally trying to help humanity. Who knows. That’s what I love about this show!

22. Billy daugherty says:

This season is really great so far cant wait for season 5 i have seen them all and all are so good i cant stop watching it and dont want to either

23. Georgine Rogers says:

What is Raven trying to work on?

24. John Werlich says:

100 is one of the best TV series I’ve ever seen. And I’ve seen many in 72 years. It explores just about all human emotions possible. So engrossing. Love it. Thank you for renewing it.

25. Nancy says:

So happy for renewal season 5! Interesting concept on ending of season 4

26. Pamela Prather says:

Really like this show I’m glad that it’s going to come back for next season very disappointed that some of my other shows have been cancelled we’re glad that the 100 is coming back thank you

27. mackay says:

Hope that ALIE will be back on season 5.

28. Stone miles says:

Big fan of the 100 hope to see lots more wish there was more episodes though. i enjoy seeing what theyll come up with next. To many idiots making snarky comments. Bad thing about social media it seems theres a larger %of people that comment on stuff just to knock it down for what ever reason idk. You cant compare shows on cable to shows on basic tv. Violence, langauge, basically the darker side of story is limited on basic tv. If you dont like the story dont watch and maybe ruin it for others (just move on). More 100!!!

29. Ashley Wheeler says:

Yay! I love this show! So happy its renewed! Cant wait to see what happens next with space and who is coming down in the big ship?? I so thought Clarke was dead….but then 6 years and 7 days later…..

30. Laverne ortiz says:

Love it keep going dont stop.

31. Dawn Raye Mcmannis says:

Plz hurry with season 5 release I’m so addicted to this show I need more !

32. Carrie Nolen says:

Does anyone know who the actors will be in the next season? Will most of them return? I so wanna know who is the cast for the next season!!!

33. Alishia says:

Yeah!!! I am so glad there is another season, can’t wait for it to come out!

34. FredW says:

You lost plenty of people I know when you started pushing the gay agenda. Never ceases to amaze me how catering to a small population trumps the rest, despite the fact that the small gay community would have still watched the show.

35. Anna Stillions says:

Love the show! I literally watched episode 1 thru 4 seasons in 1 week. I enjoyed the show so much I watched the episodes back to back on net flick!

36. Paula says:

I love this show! I watch them every week and then back to back on Netflix. I can’t wait for season 5 and i hope they continue after that as well.

37. abbyburley says:

I love this show. The 100 is interesting in the sense that all the characters have flaws, even the heros. Making choices are hard and when it involves life and death, nothing is easy. There are a few characters that I would love to have seen killed off, but the ones that died in the season four were the saddest. I’m going to miss the male leader of the others. But then, with the cliffhanger that happened on this last season, I don’t know what the writers are going to do next. Very curious and hopefully, they won’t ruin the series too much.

Now, I’m waiting to hear about IZombie. Really like that show. The characters are hilarious and keep switching from bad to good.

38. Amanda says:

Waiting for Clarke and Bellamy to finally fall in love

39. Amanda says:

Waiting for Clarke and Bellamy to fall in love

40. Nina Rose says:

Addicted!!! Anticipation, action, heartwarming, tears, …. Wow
    Some days in just wanna jump in the tv and fight or slap the sense into someone…lol…. Looking forward to season 5

41. Christopher Winn says:

Can’t wait……

42. Rosemary Ryden says:

Love, love the show so happy it is coming back.

43. Dovile says:

Yes! Just binge watched 4 seasons in 1 week, this show is very addicting. My favorite show on tv, hopefully it’s not the last season.

44. Karen Neuling says:

i am so very in Love with this show! I drives me crazy having to wait for the new season but I guess i have no choice. Addicted to The 100!!!!

45. Ed Dooner says:

Just binged 4 seasons. Very impressed great writing and acting. Every characters draws you emphatically into their personal quest that gives you a sense of dread when conflict arises. Never had such a visceral response to a show in my life.

46. Adele says:

Absolutely love The 100. Just waiting the arrival of the Fifth season but hope it doesn’t end there. There is a lot of action in this show that it keeps me coming back for more.

47. Tristan says:

This show is awesome every season somehow it’s better than the next which is pretty remarkable there’s so much action in the show and plot twist it’s always really fun time.
    The story is really beyond the bounds of what’s been done on TV it’s incredible

48. Keaton says:

The 100 is my favorite Netflix show I can’t wait until S5 and see everybody reunite and see what the rocket in S4 E13 turn out to be!!! I’ll just have to wait and watch the seasons over again.

49. Jason hagler says:

I love the show it kept me wanting more cast was great! I hope there are more seasons to come looking forward to season 5!