Scandal Season 6 Ratings

Ratings: Scandal Hits Series Lows

ABC’s already-renewed Scandal this Thursday night drew 5.3 million total viewers and a 1.4 demo rating (per finals), slipping 13 and 12 percent to series lows.

Leading out of that, The Catch opened Season 2 with 3.7 mil and a 0.8, hitting and tying series lows. Opening ABC’s night, Grey’s Anatomy (7.3 mil/1.9) dipped a tenth to tie its all-time demo low.

Elsewhere….

THE CW | Supernatural (1.5 mil/0.5) is down while Riverdale (1.03 mil/0.4) was steady.

NBC | Powerless (2.4 mil/0.7) was flat leading out of a Superstore rerun. Chicago Med (6.3 mil/1.1) returned to normal levels after last week’s post-Voice boost. Blacklist: Redemption (3.7 mil/0.7) dropped 23 and 30 percent in Week 3.

CBS | Big Bang (13 mil/2.8) and Mom (7.6 mil/1.4) were steady, Life in Pieces (6.2 mil/1.3) ticked up, and Great Indoors (7.3 mil/1.4) and Training Day (4 mil/0.7) dipped.

FOX | Leading out of  a steady MasterChef Junior (3.8 mil/1.1), whatever “Kicking & Screaming” is debuted to 2.2 mil and a 0.7.

Want scoop on any of the above shows? Email InsideLine@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Bebe says:

Not surprised about Scandal ratings . . this show is a former shell of itself. Which is why I started to skip episodes in 5B and stopped altogether this season

• The Beach says:

Nope, no surprise there. This show has veered so far toward the absurd that it’s barely watchable. I blame Papa Pope.

• Cheyenne says:

I blame Papa Pope, Jake, Olivia, and especially Shonda Rhimes, who thinks she can take this show in whatever ridiculous direction she wants and the audience will blindly follow along. She has seriously overestimated her audience’s tolerance for BS, and lost most of them in the process.

• Sara says:

Agreed….stopped watching it beginning of season 4. Sad! I was a yuge fan at the beginning

2. Wrstlgirl says:

Looks like Tom may be heading home to Liz sooner than expected :-)

3. AJ says:

Jake episodes tend to turn viewers away. The episode was awful. I fell asleep half way through it. Shonda Rhimes obsession with Jake and Olivia has killed the show. At least with Fitz, Olivia was a more interesting and root for character. Now, Olivia is just a mess.

4. Jenny says:

This season is horrible. Low quality. Plot sucks. They’ve drifted so far awaY from the greatness it once was. Jake and Rowan need to go. They’re not liked, not needed and a waste of air time! Why does this show act like they add so much? Even Scott foley seems annoyed with his material, he knows it’s bad.

5. Eric7740 says:

Fact of the matter is, hardly anyone is watching tv live anymore. They watch on different platforms and at their own leisure. I know I either watch on my DVR or Hulu. Ratings are down for all shows across the board. I don’t really worry about the ratings that much anymore.

6. Brian says:

Glad to see Riverdale staying steady. It’s surprisingly a good show. And no surprise about Scandal. Jake heavy episodes always bring in series lows. And it’s a shame too because this season IMO, had started off pretty good, but it was obvious the show would lose the positive momentum it had built up once Jake and Rowan reappeared. Is there another show on TV where it’s this obvious characters hurt the show creatively and ratings wise like these 2 do to Scandal?

• RomanticAtHeart says:

The Vampire Diaries comes to mind. They also have a love triangle, but it’s two vampire brothers are fighting for the love of a human. In season four, the producers switched the main pairing from one brother to the other as the lead became a vampire, trying to capture the chemistry between the actors who were involved off screen. After a poorly written transition, the couple breaking up off screen and some poor writing, the show took a huge hit in the ratings. The show is closing out its run this month.

7. justice says:

Chicago Med was pretty good, I’m concerned about the slant they took with the drug mule… I guess when you have as much money as the writers it doesn’t matter that regular folks have to pay for that drug mule’s medical bills.

8. Paul Ketz says:

I agree about Scandal. I have been a fan since the beginning and am still watching on my DVR but it is getting more and more of a chore to watch. I miss the old show. It is TOO serialized with stories that the audience doesn’t care about the time jumps/flashbacks constantly are annoying.

• Trizah says:

I second that – Ketz’s comment. The almost all episode flashbacks is annoying and tiring to watch. Lost interest in season 6.

9. Greta says:

I’m not surprised at the ratings. This season is boring. Keep Jake and Olivia separated. Olivia and Fitz needs to be together. These episodes are being rushed and confusing.

10. Lisa Echerd says:

Scandal restarted in January as must-watch but it has quickly become something to delay or skip. I watched last night and kept asking myself ‘why should we care about Jake’s wife – whose name I can’t even remember?’ It ended with some interest but I can easily see why the previews would not have enticed anyone to watch. Plus we are all tired of replaying the election IRL so who wants to watch one even more screwed up on TV.

11. David H says:

I know it’s not a network you track here, but I’d be curious to know if ‘Nashville’ is down after killing Rayna.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Cable ratings famously come in much, much later. But last Thursday, Nashville saw a nice bump the first week after Rayna’s death.

12. Chulani says:

I agree with Eric. Media giants and advertisers need to look and recorded and live ratings if that’s what they are basing the life span of a show on. I’m still mad Doubt got axed when in this day in age 5-7 million live viewers is not bad case and point Scandal and Greys.

13. singsongsoy says:

Scandal is down bc Showrunner changed the premise of the show to spy crap no one cares about and shunted lead characters to the back in favor of secondary characters: SF/ BY. Who cares about them? The show rose to fame on the backs of Fitz/Olivia (TG/KW). This switch up does not work; will never work. To regain any semblance of momentum, the show needs to go back to the formula of Season One with creative writing that makes sense with the two characters that we grew to love.

14. Lynn says:

I wish people would stop saying they should look at the plus 7 ratings. You know why they don’t? No one who isn’t watching it live is going to watch commercials! I mean I certainly fast forward through them if I’m not watching something live, don’t you? The whole way networks make money is through advertising and companies aren’t going to pay to advertise on a show with low live ratings no matter what the plus 7 ratings are because they know full well everyone who isn’t watching live isn’t going to watch their commercials.

• Andy says:

I wish more people would be like you and understand the simple concept of advertising for TV. Advertising on TV is still very traditional in the sense that agencies want the ad exposed to as many people as possible, live plus 7 is just some consolation prize for networks to pat themselves on the back. Point of the matter is that if a show declines in ratings, less people are exposed to ads, less money for the show to be made in the future once contracts get negotiated at upfronts…

15. kmw says:

Wow what a bad night except for CBS. Scandal dropping isn’t surprise and neither is The Catch’s anemic return. ABC sure is having trouble with dramas this year

16. Robert33 says:

Don’t get why The Catch was renewed…they’re all trying to hard and it’s a little off putting.

• Bebe says:

The Catch was renewed b/c it is Shonda Rhimes/Shondaland produced. It was given a chance for that reason alone, imho

17. Stephanie G. says:

In my area, Scandal was bumped to 2 AM because of televised girls’ basketball tournament games (and probably will be next week as well). If people watch live, things like that would definitely affect ratings.

18. Penny says:

Can we all agree that demolishing the Blacklist to make a character look good for a spinoff that is failing was a bad idea?

19. Bigdede says:

I’d rather watch Riverdale than Scandal.
    Shonda should’ve left the show alone. I’m all for feminism but she’s gone too far. The backbone of the show was Fitz/Olivia’s romance. She’s completely ruined that with the abortion and Olivia telling him he wasn’t a man during their last break up. Shonda completely ruined the show by ruining them. Just like there was no need for Mellie to get raped by Fitz’s dad, making Andrew evil and Olivia’s abortion. Viewers have had enough. What’s the point of Jake? Why is he still around?

20. Cooper says:

No surprise.

21. Paula says:

Sorry, I stopped watching after Jake got married. I got tired of the back and forth between Olivia Fitz and Jake and Rowan got away with too much. It just kept recycling itself.

22. P.j says:

In defense of ABC’S March 9th ratings…there was a large area of the country experiencing severe weather that evening.