Andi Mack Pregnant Teen Show

Andi Mack Creator Shares the Secret of Disney Channel's Most Adult Show Yet (Plus, Watch the Series Premiere)

Something tells us the Parents Television Council will have a lot to say about Disney Channel’s newest series.

Andi Mack follows a 13-year-old girl named Andi (played by Peyton Elizabeth Lee) who receives life-changing news from her cooler, older, motorcycle-riding sister Bex (Lilan Bowden), who returns home in the premiere after traveling the world.

Ready for the secret? It turns out that Bex isn’t really Andi’s older sister, she’s her mother. And Andi’s mom (Friends‘ own Lauren “Not Rachel” Tom)? Yup, she’s actually her grandmother.

“[The network] asked me for something different,” creator Terri Minsky — also responsible for creating Disney Channel’s Lizzie McGuire and executive-producing Season 1 of MTV’s Finding Carter — tells TVLine. “They wanted to attract an older audience. The whole thing was very flattering, because they seemed to think I could do it based on my Lizzie McGuire pilot. They just said, ‘Give us something new,’ so I pitched them this idea and they went for it immediately.”

Of the initial pitch meeting, Minsky recalls, “We shared all the stories we had for the first season, and they sat there like we were reading them a Harry Potter book or something. They were so entertained! I loved that. It was an unusual and very special, validating experience for me.”

In addition to being a more adult show than the network is used to airing, Andi Mack is also far more serialized than any of its current offerings. Explains Minsky, “There’s a ‘next on…’ at the end of every episode and a ‘previously on…’ at the beginning of the next. There’s a story that’s told from the pilot to the 13th episode,” including the gradual reveal of Andi’s father.

But before nervous parents start thinking that Disney Channel is offering their kids a lesson in sex ed…

“We’re not going to say where babies come from,” Minsky says. “Even the whole ‘when a man and a woman love each other very much’ — no, we don’t have that conversation. These 13 episodes are primarily about the nature of the relationships, the shift that happens, the loss of trust and the rebuilding of a family dynamic. … I can’t say for a fact that we’ll never talk about sex, because we talk about a lot of stuff on this show I wasn’t expecting to. We don’t specifically say the words ‘pregnant teenager,’ but we have conversations about invasion of privacy and how she left home. There’s some tough family stuff in there, and that’s what I’m proud of.”

Strangely, the most surprising aspect of Andi Mack isn’t its adult theme, but rather the inspiration behind it.

“I’m kind of self conscious about saying this, but it’s based on me reading a profile on Jack Nicholson,” Minsky admits. “This was his life story. He was raised thinking his mother was his sister, and he didn’t find out until later. I’m not going to represent that I know his story, but it was an idea that I heard and thought it was an interesting dynamic I might be able to explore.”

Andi Mack officially premieres April 7 on Disney Channel, but you can catch the premiere On Demand, on the Disney Channel app and on YouTube (below). Watch the first episode, then drop a comment with your thoughts.

1. neetztalks says:

Soo they couldn’t do this for Girl Meets World too? #bitter

• LILWhat says:

But this is better than GMW though, plot-wise. GMW is too cheesy to be honest and being filmed in a multi-cam setup, it feels more like a failed soap opera than a sitcom for kids.

• Asia says:

Definitely, better than GMW plot wise. I wanted to like that show but it was way too dramatic and preachy. This feels like real life not some character freaking out about changing a bay window.

• Lorelai_myspiritanimal says:

List of things wrong with gmw:

1. The dialogue was HEAVILY unrealistic for a bunch of teens. If they weren’t speaking in riddles then they were talking like a bunch of amateur poets on a tumblr blog. That was their way of trying to come off as mature, like come on even the most mature people don’t talk like they do.

2. CRYING!! Andi mack had crying in the first episode and peyton said in a live video that there would be some more crying throughout, so crying itself isn’t wrong, BUT the crying in this show was over something MEANINGFUL!!! Every time I turned to gmw or seen it online, those girls were crying. It went from aww to WHAT NOW ARE THEY CRYING OVER? IS LIFE THAT BAD? Some adults fans even called the kids depressed

3. Love triange. Talk about the stake in the back for that show. None of the fans were going to be happy about the choice; some even threatened to stop watching if lucaya happened. It didn’t, but neither did joshaya. Heck, rucas happened but you couldn’t tell because they didn’t do couple things. Jacobs made a mistake with that direction of the show because fans to this day are still mad about it

4. Like angie said, the fans were tyrants. Just recently Sabrina was under attack by multiple gmw fans, so much so that her father had to step in. they were out of control. Some set pics of Sabrina and rowan on fire…FIREE!! They always attacked disney and Rowan was no help because she would attack too. Attacking your employers on a social media platform? Idc how outspoken you are, that’s a NO in any job field.

The show was supposed to be about kindness but emitted negative vibes in its out of control fanbase. They did TRY I’ll give them that, but it’s over and that’s good because andi mack can take over and do the coming of age thing right with a great, positive fanbase. Reminds me of stuck in the middle, just positive and family vibes

• Ruby Leoford says:

Ok 2 was a little bad. Some girls do have depression/anxiety! Also its really hard for girls not to cry ok? So please shut up about the crying k? Thank you! The rest was reasonable.

• Lindsey says:

Oh yeah, so real life. Hahahahaha

• angie says:

“So they couldn’t do this for Girl Meets World?”

If Disney had a problem with deep topics and taking major steps like this one, they would not have gave this show athe green light. A show about teen pregnancy? That’s bigger than anything I’ve heard of on Disney Channel. They even that Good Luck Charlie have a gay couple on it. I don’t know why Girl Meets World ended, but what I will say is that its for the better because that’s shows fanbase has got to be the most hateful and spiteful children show fan base I’ve seen in my life. Irony because the show was about kindness and friendship.

• mert says:

I just wish this could be possible. Alex Mack is such a golden show. It really is and what pisses me off is that the show is way underrated. Nickeleodeon should consider doing a reboot for those -like us- adore The Secret World of Alex Mack.

• Wordsmith says:

They said they wanted something new. GMW is kind of the exact opposite of that as a sequel/reboot.

2. Kate says:

I clicked on this SO FAST hoping it would be an Alex Mack reboot. Granted, that show was awhile ago, but it still seems weird that Disney would let the show be named something so close to another show.

3. powerturtle90sdudemon says:

I thought Lauren Tom would be better known around these parts for a more regular role like Futurama, not a guest stint on Friends…

4. Emily says:

I ‘m excited for this new show called Andi Mack but I think Girl Meets World is a lot better. I really hope that Girl Meets World will have a 4th season.

5. Jared says:

So Disney Channel wanted a show to attract an older audience and when GMW did just that it got cancelled?

• Lorelai_myspiritanimal says:

Gmw attracred an older audience initially because fans wanted to see Cory and Topanga and the gang. What they got was a 14 year old girl chasing a teddy bear, one crying over a bay window, and a whole host of childish crap with melodramatic scenes and over-the-top dialogue. Girl Meets World was advertised as a family show but fail to be a family show that it’s parent show.

• Chancey says:

GMW never did that. I tried watching that show. It didn’t do it for me. The main character is so distzy and spacey that I couldn’t keep watching. It didn’t tackle many serious topics like BMW did.

6. Mo says:

I have no idea why, because I never thought Disney would be that brave, but this storyline was the first thing I thought when I saw trailers for this show. I couldn’t figure out anything else that would live up to the hype of the “big, life-changing” type of secret.

7. Anabelle LAwrence says:

NEED MORE INFO

8. Vanessa says:

I’m 22 and this show immediately drew me in. Lilan Bowden and Peyton Elizabeth Lee’s chemistry is amazing. I agree with those saying that this show is better than GMW. There’s something more authentic and down-to-earth about the characters on Andi Mack. It reminds me of watching Lizzie McGuire, Even Stevens, etc. when I was a kid. Plus, this is an original idea that will keep people watching.

9. Wil213 says:

Well……this is a first for a children’should tv network. Very interesting so far though.

10. Susie says:

I’m confused… Disney axed GMW bc it didn’t want the age base it was attracting. Some say GMW was too cheezy but not any more than BMW, Lizzie McGuire, KC Undercover, Good Luck Charlie, Lab Rats, etc. That’s what Disney and Nick do…cheezy kids shows. This is too adult. It’s Freeform material. I watch tv for entertainment not to keep re living my life. I’m out Disney. Keep making cheezy, Nick. I’m in.

• Bree says:

This show is definitely for Freeform,Fox,CW,Mtv…I wouldn’t have ever thought Disney would do this….If that’s the case they should do like Nickelodeon did with “The N” and make a Teen Disney channel for crossover content such as this…. This is on the same network as Dog with a blog? My 9 year old was excited about it so I had to check it out and see…I actually like the show,but I don’t agree with the network….It’s going to be a hit though…

• Jamie says:

I totally agree. I’m fine with the show, but it doesn’t belong on Disney Channel, this is what freeform is for. I feel like Disney is trying to do away with the 6-12 year appropriate shows. Too old for Disney junior, not old enough for shows like this one. My poor 9 year old goes from watching Disney junior and nick junior with her younger siblings to watching PLL with her 15yo sister. The choices for that age group seems to be shrinking.

• Lindsey says:

I too like GMW, Lizzie, Good luck Charlie. Want to see more shows like those. (Had lots of trouble posting this from my phone, a little suspicious I think)

• Lena says:

I have to disagree here. Even as a teenager I think tv shows that were made for Disney and Nick are a little too cheesy and a lot to random and all over the place to be considered something I’d actually sit down and enjoy properly. Kids my age love things like Andi Makc because it keeps us involved and waiting to see what surprises come up next in the series. We don’t want a bunch of artificial teens doing corny things and getting into crazy situations just as an attempt to make us laugh. Let me to you: I was so relieved to finally have a serious show that was actually going somewhere on Disney. So I say congratulations Disney. You rock!

11. Karol says:

This is not new at all, there is a lot o korean dramas with this plot!

12. JJ. says:

I was pleasantly surprised by the pilot, it does seem more ‘real’ which feels reminiscent of the disney channel shows from the 90s/early 2000s. I’m not at all in their target audience but i’m intrigued enough to give it another episode

13. M says:

Love it love it love it!!!!!

14. Hailey says:

Who is Andi’s dad??? I need to know!!!!

15. Amanda says:

Love it, watched it with my daughter.

16. Resa says:

She finds out her sister is her _biological_ mother. Her mother is still the woman who raised her (presumably, there was also a legal adoption involved).

17. joshua smith says:

i think it will be a great show. my nieces have seen it on the disney app, and they love the show already.

18. Dt says:

I love the show way better than GMW! And my favorite actor is Acher. Can’t wait to see season 1 episode 3

19. Dt says:

This is way better than GMW! I can’t wait till season 1 episode 3 comes out! My favorite actor is Asher Angel/Jonah Bech

20. DangDeliilah says:

Omg. When’s episode 2?!!! Now I’m obsessed

21. jessie jones says:

Love it

22. Yeah, my kids won’t be watching this. This is not something for younger kids but maybe for the teen crowd.

• Emily says:

why? its still a kids show. a big secret doesn’t change that

• This is not appropriate subject matter or small children. If Disney wants to draw in older viewers they need a channel for that.

• Izzy says:

The show is a little questionable, but it makes the “innapropiate” parts subtle and hard to understand for younger viewers who don’t get it. Also, it does not throw out the words “OH I HAD SEX AS A TEEN AND GOT PREGNANT BUT COULDNT RAISE MY OWN KID SO I HAD TO HAVE YOUR GRANDMOTHER RAISE YOU FOR ME!!!” That would make it innapropiate, but if you actually watched the show (you obviously did not) you would understand that the show is not about teen pregnancy and more about how life can go wrong and there will be bumps, but they will smith out in the end, it’s just all about the love and trust that you earn from making good decisions and being smart. :)

• Izzy says:

And that’s what Disney wanted. The teens to be attracted to Disney as well. There are many shows on Disney, but most make the teen audience bored and don’t attract them. Shows like this, the Lodge, Backstage, etc. attract these audiences and make them want to watch more!!!

• The show is about an irresponsible teenager who had a baby and dumper that baby off on her parents while she goes out doing what ever she wants, having fun, living a free life and not even showing up for birthdays. Oh, and lieing to the child about it for 13 years. There is nothing remotely good in any of that.

That being said, this show won’t last two seasons. They have very little to build upon. They are going to have to pull off some serious miracles to have anything remotely worthy of a viewing audience. So I’m not worried about it sticking around for long at all. There will be some other nasty train wreck all ready to go once this thing gets cancelled.

• Lindsey says:

Good Mom!

• Lindsey says:

👍

23. Sarah Cupples says:

Sounds amazing

24. Ade bates says:

mi no get fi watch andi mack and mi want to watch it

25. Richard Pattison says:

Disney took Girl meets world off air for being more for older kids and then disney put this on air witch is as much for older kids as girl meets world, not cool, so mayby thay should also bring back Girl meets world

26. Marcus says:

This show is gonna be more then a pregnant teen mother. This will be a show about a person becoming a parent and the trials and mistakes involved.

27. Izzy says:

I totally LOVE this show!!!! The mystery, drama, story, and the scenes make the show interesting!!! Every scene, something new happens!! In GMW, every episode was legit the same. Someone has a problem or is curious about something, gets into drama, then Sabrina and Rowan film some cheesy scene by the window and end the episode there. Andi Mack on the other hand, has a real story and continues the same plot every episode, bringing tension and make the viewers anxious to see what will happen next episode. Everyone wants a plot!!! And also, the show creates a relationship to the viewers real lives and relate to you, they don’t have random things happen out of the ordinary. If you haven’t yet watched the show, I totally recommend it!!!

28. Ashly says:

They did an awesome Job for attracting and older audience. I came home from work the other night and my 4 year old was watching this. To be honest when I seen the previews I was thinking “oh great another show that will be cancelled just like the rest” I started thinking about how great the shows on Disney were when I was growing up any way I sat down and watched it and immediately realized I was wrong about this one. I got so into it I started looking up the other episode’s I missed And cant wait for the next. I even messaged my 10 year old sister like ” Do you watch Andi mack !? ” I plan on watching this with my daughter should I be embarrassed Im 20 and watching A show on Disney ? My 4 year old also doesn’t know her dad like Andi and she noticed that. she said look mom Andi doesn’t know her dad like me ..made me A little sad but I’m glad she can see other kids go through the same kind of thing. Good job on this one Disney I was starting to think there would never be another show like the good old days

29. Faima says:

Like OMG I have known you 4 Years
    Angelic like I have known you for like 4 million years but I never used it like this

30. E says:

I have had the honor of watching the show a couple of time with my kids and we love it!! Families come in many different forms and I teach my kids this so this show was not that big of a shocker!! We love it!!

31. Brittney says:

I love this show. It’s my favorite show ever I don’t care what y’all guys think about it everyone in the world that’s kids and teens love this show so it don’t really matter what y’all guys think about it.

• Lindsey says:

Really? Everyone in the world? That’s “kids and teens” love it? 1st of all, poor grammar, second of all, who are you to decide what everyone in the world likes??? Get your childish-self an education and start paying taxes and then take another look at pathetic shows like this

32. Lindsey says:

Just an awful show!!!°

33. Lindsey says:

Lame

34. RavenCWG says:

I find it rather amusing how some people out there have gotten so bent out of shape because they believe that Disney is somehow condoning teen pregnancy with this show, when the show has absolutely nothing to do with teen pregnancy at all. In fact we don’t even know how old Bex was supposed to be when Andi was born. To date the show has yet to say how old she was. Furthermore, if we were to go by Lilan Bowden’s real age (she is 31 btw) then Bex would have been 18 (in other words, a legal adult and not an underage teen) when Andi was born.

Another thing I find amusing is that anyone was actually surprised by fact that Bex was Andi’s mother, as the whole “big reveal” was pretty much spoiled by all the promotional trailers that were shown over and over again on the Disney Channel weeks before the show itself actually aired.

Finally, the thing that really surprises me is that no one here has mentioned what I think could potentially turn out to be the most revolutionary (especially for the Disney Channel) and interesting aspect of this show, namely the rumor that one of its main characters (most likely Cyrus) is gay! Up till this now they have kept it pretty ambiguous, albeit strongly implied that he is; but I just hope at some point the writers will move beyond ambiguity and really tackle the subject directly in a thoughtful, meaningful way.

35. Candice says:

I saw one episode of this show. I’m and adult so I don’t get into all this but it seemed good. My daughter’s 13 and loves this show. She is ready for the new episodes to come out.

36. Jennifer says:

I am 13 and love this show soooo much. I’m ready for the new episodes to come out. I watch it on watchdisneychannel.go.com. I’m very anxious to see what happens next.

37. Brittany says:

I’m 21 years old and I am hooked! Quirky humor and very realistic of 13 year old daily dramas ( besides plot twist haha) it’s nice to see diversity in family experience and I’m excited to see how much this piece of news will affect her in coming episodes, and how she will handle it.

38. Ernest Garcia says:

Can we expect a season 2? This show will help us prepare our kids when we tell them we are the adoptive parents. My daughter is only 6 and she already knows and understands how lucky Andi is to be raised by her grandparents. We (wife and I) are the great uncle and aunt to our kids.
    Isabella said,”I wish I could be in a show like that.” How surprised will she be to find out she is a real life story.

39. Sienna says:

Hi my name is Sienna and I’m a big fan of Andy Mack after I saw it I was inspired by Andy I like this boy and he was rude to me that was just like Andy how do you stop liking someone if they won’t like them like back but sometimes jerks like Jonah turn out awesome but sometimes they don’t I see why you would go for Jonna but I would go Cyrus and after I got to talk to him I was understanding him more but I still didn’t get him so I can’t wait for season 2 to tell me what to do

40. kenny roberts says:

well written show I watch all the episodes and was very impressed that Disney may finally be getting it. that using a female who is not n the Disney mold is refreshing and the storylines are real I’m older and I can relate to what the characters are going through. I hope the second season is as good as the first.

41. Spoofed IP says:

I’m not really sure why I’m telling this story, guess I’m just venting on the internet, I had been doing a DDG search and came upon this site. It sounds like many of you are actually disney fans. Well, so be it, here goes. Our family got rid of sat/cable TV 10 years ago. Our children are 13 and 9 and so far all is well. My children are normal, smart, polite, and well adjusted. They have many friends, and varied interests, to include choir, athletics, music, and many other things. Regarding thier friends, we don’t let them hang with just anyone, more on that later. Also time on the net is closely monitored. Recently, I was in a hotel on business and was doing the flip through on the 113 channels of garbage. Stopped on the Disney Channel and for a bit watched some video of children singing “Ways to be Wicked”, I have to admit I was shocked. The lyrics to the admittedly catchy song were disturbing. It appears to me that Disney is promoting children being evil, which means, IMO Disney has gone into pure demonic overdrive. I began to think, it’s no wonder we are where we are regarding teen drugs, murder, rape, suicide, sex and pregnancy, abortion. Those sick twisted people are peddling evil in a cool sounding package. I have to say, if you want to know why it seems children are being turned into rude obnoxious unpleasant and yes evil people all you have to do is look to the “wicked” people at disney. For any of the ignorant and foolish who say, it’s just a tv show, ask yourselves if children model what they are shown? Anyone with even the most limited IQ will know that it’s true.

So then……

….I took the family to Six Flags. It felt SOOOO good NOT to be giving Disney one red cent!!!! Whooo HOOOO!! Tell you something else, one of the questions I ask other parents is if their kids watch much Disney. If the answer is yes I make sure our family keeps far away.

Vote with your feet and your wallet America. Don’t support Disney and don’t hang with those who do.

Cya!