Josh Radnor Drama High

How I Met Your Mother's Josh Radnor to Star in NBC's Drama High Pilot

Josh Radnor is going to the head of NBC’s 2017-18 pilot class, landing the lead role in Jason Katims’ Drama High.

Based on the 2013 novel by Michael Sokolove, the potential series — written and exec produced by Parenthood and Friday Night Lights auteur Katims — centers on a working-class high school theater department, whose passion and enthusiasm draws interest from everyone in town.

Radnor will play the drama teacher Lou Mazzuchelli, described as a “left of center leading man” who has to discover his own passion, drive and charisma. Lou is a father of three, a husband to Gail (casting TBD) and an English teacher at a school in a rust belt town in Pennsylvania. Lou decides to take a leap of faith and run the drama department, and it ignites an excitement in him which surprises him and spreads to his students.

News of Radnor’s casting comes just hours after the official cancellation of Mercy Street, the PBS period drama in which Radnor starred for two seasons.

The Drama High cast also includes Auli’i Cravalho (Moana), Amy Forsyth (The Path), Shannon Purser (Stranger Things) and Rosie Perez.

1. Dannie C says:

I’m really loving all the casting news & with Jason K sounds like this could be super awesome!!

2. Dave says:

How about Cristin Milioti for his wife, Gail?

• ZisforZombie says:

Oh my gosh, that would be lengen…wait for it…dary!!! But really, she can sing, so I think she might be a great fit!

3. Lauren says:

I think he will be great in this. Josh Radnor is more talented than he is given credit for. People confuse him with Ted Mosby too much but he has good range in dramatic roles.

4. T.W.S.S. says:

Well, well, well, between this announcement and Mary Elizabeth Winstead’s mounting commitments, Mercy Street season three never had a chance.

• Annie says:

Yeah, wondering if this casting news is the chicken or the egg of official Mercy Street cancellation… Would still gladly watch Season 3 even without Radnor and Winstead (but definitely wouldn’t say no to the occasional guest appearance!) #SaveMercyStreet

• T.W.S.S. says:

Same. When MEW went missing for a third of the second season, I figured she wouldn’t return for season three. But I find all of the characters interesting and would watch without these two.

5. Joey Padron says:

Happy Josh landed a new show quick after his current show got cancelled. Josh will be good on this show as the teacher.

6. tjchurch2001 says:

Outside of Perez & Radnor, have heard of none of the rest of cast (which may be a good thing).

However, am I the only one thinking of “Sarah Marshall” & “Happythankyoumoreplease” (think I have that long title right), what Segel & Radnor each wrote (& maybe more) while doing their prior hit show?! This guy should be working behind the scenes as well, the way Eastwood & Gibson have done!

7. DL says:

Fantastic news. He’s got the perfect sensitive soulful quality for this part.

• Nero tTVfiddler says:

I agree completely – well stated. Very happy for Radnor – this pilot and role look excellent and he will bring a great deal of passion to the character.

I guess we now know what ‘chicken-egg’ scenario lead to Mercy Street cancellation yesterday. I think both Radnor and Winstead had an opportunity to move on – perhaps feeling that they had taken their characters on Mercy as far as they could go. Still, a shame Mercy wasn’t given a 3rd season, although, without Radnor, I would not watch a S3.

8. Dee says:

Is this going to be like Roswell but with drama club drama substituting for alien drama? *insert eyeroll emoji*

9. LaDonna says:

I’m unusually and maybe prematurely excited about this show. It sounds like the story of my high school life. The more casting news comes out, the better this is sounding.

• Nero tTVfiddler says:

I agree – this series has great potential. NBC is on a roll in the drama series development department. Another post on a sister-site noted that Drama High might be a good pairing (either for a winter series hiatus, or as a follow-lead out show) for NBC’s This Is Us.

• LaDonna says:

If it has the heart of Parenthood and Friday Night Lights, I feel really good about it’s chances. I like the idea of a This is Us lead-in for it.

10. Marco Piazzo says:

This character sounds a lot like Will Schuester. Let’s hope it’s done well, though…

11. Ruston says:

Just curious if Josh is going to play this character as straight, or if he is going to adopt the more “feminine” characteristics of a man who came out later in life as homosexual. I say this as a former student of the teacher upon whom this entire series is based.