Scandal Spoilers

Scandal: Scott Foley Laments Jake's Marriage ('He Doesn't Even Like Her'), Mulls Possible Future With Olivia

If you thought Mellie and Fitz’s marriage was fraught with tension and lies, just wait until you spend an evening with Mr. and Mrs. Ballard on Thursday’s Scandal (ABC, 9/8c).

The revealing episode shines a harsh light on Jake and Vanessa’s wedded life — if you can even call it that — as the couple prepares for a potential move to the White House.

“Jake’s in a really tough spot,” Scott Foley tells TVLine of his character’s marital status. “He’s living in this home with a woman he doesn’t love — he probably doesn’t even like her, to be honest — but he understands her predicament, as anyone would. If you’re in a relationship with someone, and you don’t want to be there, but they do, it’s really difficult. I think he feels awful about it. But at the same time, she’s a pawn in a much bigger chess game.”

But while Vanessa is an undeniable train wreck — not to mention an occasional roadblock for Jake’s various plans — Foley says he’s thrilled to have Glee‘s Jessalyn Gilsig as a scene partner. (She assumed the role left vacant by Chicago Justice‘s Joelle Carter.)

“Jessalyn knocked it out of the park,” Foley says. “It’s a hard position, coming in to play a character someone else has already established, but she plays crazy amazingly well. Your heart breaks for her, but at the same time, you’re thinking, ‘What the f–k are you doing?’ I really enjoyed her performance.”

As for Olivia, whose history with Jake is not lost on a suspicious Vanessa, Foley says he believes a romantic reunion is still possible… at some point.

“There’s so much water under the bridge, so many bad things have happened, so many people hurt,” he admits. “But I think because of who Jake is and where he comes from and the life that he’s lived, I think he believes he’d be able to be OK with that — that it wouldn’t be something they’d have to sweep under the rug. Because of who he is and who she is, they’d be OK with it.”

Your thoughts on Jake’s Scandal-ous future? Watch a sneak peek below, then drop ’em in a comment.

1. AJ says:

The show is so much better when the is no Olivia and Jake on the screen. They are awful together. As a matter of fact, Olivia being around Jake and Rowan diminishes her as a character. They always end up making a fool out of her. Olivia is best at OPA and at the White House.

2. I looove Olivia as OPA, couldn’t care less about the White House. I hate Fitz, worse than boring. Olivia and Jake are so good together though.

3. Brian says:

This dude’s character along with the Rowan character should have been off this show many seasons ago. It just comes off as them having to force these actors into the storylines instead of them being actually needed.

Samuel L. Jackson did a radio interview this morning and he was spot on in his critical comments about the Olivia Pope character and how they have her with these men on this show, especially Jake.

4. Riana says:

That’s TVs Scott Foley!

5. Natalie says:

I HATE Olivia and Jake together! HATE…

6. Jasie says:

Excited to see Jessalyn in this role. She always brings it to any character she plays. Hope this isn’t the end of her on Scandal.

7. Wordsmith says:

Jessalyn Gilsig seems to exclusively play mentally-unbalanced wives stuck in loveless marriages…

• jbj says:

Seriously! I don’t think I’ve ever seen her not play crazy.

• jhanse3 says:

She does play a good crazy but I think her roles in Vikings and Boston Public show she can play so much more. Plus her guest stints on Heroes and NYPD Blue. She needs to land in a series regular role that will allow her to branch out into some of these other types of roles.

8. Superwoman says:

I can’t wait…

9. N!loofar says:

Jake & Olivia are slightly less gross than Olivia & Fitz

10. Kailani says:

Somewhere along the way, Shonda lost touch re Scandal. What made it great was the OPA case-of-the-weeks, with minor character development outside of the cases. Mild intrigue with the WH was ok, but she got too steeped in secondary characters and conspiracy plot story lines, and left everything else behind. So sad.

11. LeeSP says:

First, Scott Foley is the kiss of death to TV shows – shows go downhill when he appears. Jinx

Now, according to folks in the industry, Kerry Washington is moving on so season 7 is the final season.

Kerry is in demand for other shows and movies plus she has her own production company which debuted successfully with the HBO movie Confirmation.

Unless ABC finds a way to keep her (boatload of money), then she is done with this show.

I can’t blame Kerry since the show has become senseless. The downfall started when Shonda decided Scandal should be a spy show (B613 and Jake/Rowan nonsense) instead of a procedural with a case of the week and some serial aspects.

Dan Bucantinsky who won an Emmy playing James was on WWHL and said Scandal ‘jumped the shark’ in season 3 when his character was killed by Jake (in front of David) and everyone acted as if it was no big deal – Cyrus did not get revenge for his husband and Fitz/Olivia/OPA/David all acted as if James never existed after Jake killed him and the two innocent women. He said the whole tone of the show changed by the end of season 3.

I’m still amazed that Rowan killed Harrison and Fitz/Mellie’s son yet everyone seemed to have forgotten about poor Harrison and Jerry – Olivia, OPA, Fitz, Mellie, Abby, etc. which is so out of character for the people we got to know in seasons 1 and 2.

OPA knows that Jake killed Vanessa’s father but it is treated as nothing. David knows Jake is a
    stone-cold killer and yet he is focused only on Cyrus for the assassination. Really? All the characters got lobotomies and act brainless.

This show had so much potential and Shonda squandered it to focus on ridiculous stories with irrelevant characters instead of Olivia and OPA. I feel bad for Kerry (except for the money) so I agree that she should end it.

I see HTGAWM making the same mistakes and jumping the shark. How many murders can Annalise and her students be tied to and what happened to the case of the week?

• Brian says:

This sums up the problem with both the Rowan and Jake characters. They’re written as untouchable. They can do and say anything to anyone and nothing ever happens to them. And it’s around both these characters Olivia and most of the other characters are the dumbest, so it seems like they’re isn’t much of a point in watching the show when they’re around. So if the rumors are true and next season is the last, it’s hard to be too upset about it if all they’re going to do is continue having the majority of the characters dumbed down for Jake & Rowan.

12. Larc says:

Olivia & Jake = +, but Olivia & Fitz = – – – – –

13. Ayana says:

Jake & Olivia Yes!! This is exactly what I have been waiting for. For all those who predicted cancellation, I guess what’s bad to some is good to others at least at ABC. Obviously, you are talking to the wind!

14. justsomeguy says:

Yawn. I guess a lot of people still enjoy watching the same story play out over and over, but Shonda has truly ruined what could have been an iconic character in TV history in Olivia Pope. It’s too bad. I miss what this show used to be. When it was about establishing these really smart people, and they actually do things that makes sense. The intelligence behind the writing was there. The show has always been about sensationalism, but there’s a fine line sensationalism and ridiculous and I think the show has no idea how to be what it was anymore.

15. DJ Doena says:

‘“Jake’s in a really tough spot,” Scott Foley tells TVLine of his character’s marital status.’

Shouldn’t that be

‘“Jake’s in a really tough spot,” TV’s Scott Foley tells TVLine of his character’s marital status.’

?

16. Max says:

So drawn to Olivia and Jake on screen together; never one dull moment! They have so many interesting dimensions, and the bond supporting it all can never be undone! I am HERE for these two!

17. Zee says:

This guy is delusional !!! Jake is a jerk!!!

18. #TeamJake #TeamOLake Love Scott Foley. More Jake please.

19. Greta says:

I think that Jake and the new wife should try to make their marriage work. He killed her dad so he should stay with her. Olivia needs to be with Fitz even if they have to sneak around to do it.

20. Marsha says:

Jake Ballard is the worst thing to have happened to Scandal. Kerry Washington is so charismatic and usually has chemistry with most of her screen partners, but if I have to watch her force with with Folely until the end, I might claw my eyes out. Ever since he joined the cast in s2, the quality of the show has skyrocketed downhill. He’s painful to watch; the man shows no emotion. Ever. I’d rather watch Olivia stare pathetically, lip quivering in Fitz’s direction over and over again than see poor Kerry try to give that relationship life support. At least Kerry and Tony can sell that disastrous ship.

Just kill him already. For the love of everything holy, just do it. I can’t wait until Kerry goes on to something else; she’s so much better than what Shonda’s turned this show into.

21. JD says:

Love myself some Jake & Live! Not interested in Jake becoming another Fitz.

22. Mili2.0 says:

This show got ruined when the Eli Pope character showed-up. It would hav been alot better without eli & it ruined the olivia pope character. And I dont understand why they are not solving real weekly cases. She’s not a fixer anymore. The storyline of the entire show just got really bad after season 2. And its very unneccessary.

23. ebonyc1 says:

I think Jake and Olivia are perfect together and I still remain a loyal fan. Some might believe that the show have changed but I disagree, this is probably the biggest scandal we”ve seen on the show to date.

24. Joyce says:

Jake/scott Foley is the best thing about show. Jake and Olivia are the best. Fitz boring!!