This Is Us Boss: Revealing How Jack Died Is Still 'A Ways Off'

Waiting for This Is Us to tell viewers how dad Jack died? Well, you may want to put those tissues in storage until Season 2… or later.

The exact nature of Jack’s death likely won’t be revealed in the final two episodes this season, creator Dan Fogelman says. “In terms of seeing the moment where something happened to Jack, that’s a little ways away,” he tells our sister site Variety. “Where it will be finally all fully revealed, that’s a ways off.”

We did see a flashback to Jack’s funeral a few episodes back, when his daughter Kate (Chrissy Metz) had a breakdown during a drumming exercise at weight-loss camp. But we still don’t know what killed the beloved patriarch played by Milo Ventimiglia. Fogelman says viewers are “slowly getting the shape of this big event in the family… How did it happen? Was it sudden? Was it slow? We’ll get a lot of that information, but the real story of it will play out not in the near, near future.”

At least one other person does know the truth about Jack’s fate, though: Mandy Moore, who plays Jack’s wife Rebecca. “Mandy needs to know that,” Fogelman says. “She’s playing an older version of herself. She needs to know when she lost her husband, and how it happened.”

Moore’s lips are sealed… but she does hint to Variety that Jack’s death will be “heartbreaking. What else can you expect from this show?”

Alright, This Is Us fans: Do you need to know how Jack died, or are you OK with the mystery? Drop your thoughts in a comment below.

1. I expected they’d save it for a while and that seems like a really wise storytelling decision because there is so still so much story for while he’s alive. I mean, I know the whole point of the flashbacks mean it doesn’t really matter but I think actually seeing him die will make it hard to invest him the next week. The episodes when/after he dies are going to be so heavy so maybe save that for a final season. I don’t think how he died is all that important at this point anyway.

2. Wrstlgirl says:

I’m fine with that as long as it doesn’t get spoiled.

3. Dannie C says:

I don’t understand why people want to know now. We are only just wrapping up Season one. I want to go along with the story & be given the knowledge when they see fit & I like Guess & be surprised.

4. I’m okay not knowing. As a matter fact the longer Jack lives the better! Long live Jack! He’s so sweet…I don’t wanna know!!

5. Lola says:

I fear that Milo will eventually be gone. I’m not sure if flashbacks will still work in season 3/4. I’d love to be surprised if they managed. I’d rather Jack was alive but him and Rebecca were separated and the flashbacks were leading you to what caused that parting. But I digress. He’s dead.

• E. D. Boddy says:

They can flash back to whatever time they need to. Sometimes it’s been when the kids are newborns, sometimes as youngsters, and recently as teenagers. Getting us to where Jack dies doesn’t preclude revisiting those eras..

6. Pedro says:

If it’s not revealed by the end of season one, it shows they have no plans for further seasons and are just milking a one-season poney.

• Chris Pierce says:

Pedro not exactly sure how that makes sense. If they reveal it I’d say it’s a one season show. If they don’t plan to reveal it they feel they have future seasons to do so. I like not knowing although we all think we do.

• Pedro says:

If they just have one story and are going drag it on and one, it’s going to kill the show. Get new storylines going.

• LaRae says:

Gosh Pedro, they just killed William off!! Give it time. There will be more season, believe that. The show is too good not to renew.

• DS says:

This show has already been picked-up for Seasons 2 and 3.

• Cecilia Kreplak says:

Totally agree. People gets tired. Lose interest. How long will it be dragged ?

7. LaRae says:

From what I got out of Tuesday’s episode, Kate told Toby she doesn’t talk about her Father’s death because it was her fault he died. I am thinking he died in a car accident drivuing 2 hours to see Rebecca on tour.. Kate was the one that told her Dad he should go.. he had been drinking and they also showed empty beer cans on the passengers car seat. This is just my guess. I don’t want him to be killed off.. lol And William was killed off way too soon. I just LOVE this show!

8. monicaplace says:

This makes sense. My parents are both dead, but things in life pop up to remind me of the past–and sometimes, today life has informed me enough that I NOW understand why they did something a certain way, and has given me more insight.