Riverdale Renewed

Riverdale Renewed for Season 2 at CW

In what amounts to a major win for the ginger community, The CW has renewed Riverdale for a second season.

After debuting in January to 1.4 million total viewers and a 0.5 demo rating (and a B+ grade from TVLine readers), the Archie Comics-inspired drama thus far is averaging 1.2 mil and a 0.5 — ranking behind Supernatural as The CW’s No. 2 non-superhero show. It also enjoys DVR playback bumps of 78 and 85 percent in the young-skewing Adults 18-34 and Women 18-34 demos.

Riverdale is the eighth CW series to score an early pickup for the 2017-18 TV season, joining the previously renewed Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, Supernatural, Jane the Virgin and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.

Meanwhile, the jury is still out on The 100 and the yet-to-return iZombie and The Originals. The Vampire Diaries will air its series finale this Friday and it was previously announced that Reign’s upcoming fourth season would be its last. Riverdale‘s fellow freshman entries Frequency and No Tomorrow are not expected to be back, although neither series has been officially cancelled.

1. ian says:

Over in Canada, we get it on Netflix one episode per week. I doubt that counts in the ratings. Either way, great news!

• TV Gord says:

It’s a co-production with Netflix, and they are counting, so I think it counts! That’s how I watch it, too, and I’ve been really enjoying it. A little tough to change my perception of some of the characters I grew up with, but that’s part of the fun of this juicy series!

• dude says:

It’s not a co-production, Netflix just bought the international broadcast rights which for some reason allows them to label it a “Netflix Original Series” which it’s not. They do the same with a lot of their British imports.

• Jon Willis says:

Yeah netflix does that quite alot. some of the shows they do that with are The 100, Jane the Virgin, Shadowhunters, Scandal, From Duck til Dawn

• Bartimeus says:

Not just Netflix. Cable networks always label imports as original series if they have exclusive rights to it in the country. Syfy has called all of its Canadian imports originals. The-N at least at one point called Degrassi an original show.

• That STINKS says:

I don’t watch this show, but I have one question I need to ask. Is the guy in the pic’s hair dyed? Is that natural?

2. Mike says:

awesome

3. Sarahii says:

So happy. Guilty pleasure :D

4. Wiz says:

I’ve been a frequent viewer of the of the CW since it was the WB. And I’ve seen shows come and go over the years with this network. And it seems to me that the CW stopped caring about ratings. Because they’ve cancelled better shows then this. *cough* Hellcats *cough* Ringer *cough* etc. I couldn’t even sit through the first half hour with this show. Maybe I’m just over high school based shows.

• Dennis says:

You should give this show a real shot. It gets better and better!!!!

• Johnson says:

Hellcats and Ringer? Please, let’s talk about The Secret Circle

• Ian says:

Agreed about Hellcats.
      Riverdale isn’t the huge hit The CW wanted it to be, but I guess worth it enough to renew considering the face it’ll save them after all the promotion it had.
      I couldn’t sit through more than a few minutes myself, but a trend I’ve noticed these days is for networks to overhaul shows for the following season if they’re poorly rated, so we’ll see what changes they make.

• Josh says:

Wouldn’t mind them changing Canon and not have Archie being a ####boy bouncing between Betty and Veronica.

• Ian says:

Yeah, I find Archie quite disgusting tbh, so a likeable lead is always a great start toward constructing a successful show, lol.

• dude says:

He isn’t even bouncing around to Betty and Veronica anymore, he’s bouncing between Betty and Veronica and Ms. Grundy and Valerie and probably by next week Cheryl Blossom and the Mayor and Betty’s mom. He is the Lucas Scott of Riverdale.

• Agree. Archie is a big HOT MESS right now. But i don’t know since the triangle is a big thing in comics, the show will probably have a lot of triangles still lol

• Pedro says:

It airs on Netflix worldwide. maybe it did well there. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend was the lowest-rated show in all network TV and yet the most watched in Netflix in California, the biggest US state.

• Rylie says:

It’s probably their deal with Netflix internationally that gives them more leeway to not just judge by their tv ratings.

• dude says:

Hellcats was enjoyable guilty pleasure TV but come on, it wasn’t that good. Plus The CW really just cares about buzz and this show has a lot of it.

• Temperance says:

Ringer was terrible, and Hellcats wasn’t much better. Neither is a hundredth of the quality of Riverdale. I;m not sure what you were watching.

• Vince says:

That’s a very long time. God move on you old folks.

• Wiz says:

Oh I’m sorry. I didn’t realize that The CW changed their name to CW Teen. FYI I’m only 23. The reason i still watch the network is for Supernatural. It started in ’05 I guess you were about 4 at that time. I’m assuming the people that like Riverdale are the ones that can relate to it. I.E. people who are still in high school.

• Anne says:

As someone who lovvvveed both Hellcats and Ringer, I’m adoring Riverdale

• Wiz says:

To each his own I guess. But Riverdale wasn’t getting me. My point was that the CW has changed over time. They’ve canceled other shows that were “decent” and had about similar ratings were axed. I realize that live viewership isn’t they only thing taken to account anymore. But they still matter.

• martina says:

Well, the network had a different head at that time. The CW really changed gears after Mark Pedowitz took over Dawn Ostroff. He is more lenient toward low-rated-yet-talked-about shows, which I think it‘s great!

• Wiz says:

Yeah that’s what happened. It’s been a while since a new developed series has peaked my interest Now it’s mostly a DC network. It was better when it had a variety.

5. Dennis says:

OMG YES!!!!! This made my day. So happy, I love this show!!!!!

6. T.W.S.S. says:

CW should just become a genre network like SyFy.

7. John036 says:

hopefully it gets a full 22 season. a 13 episode high school drama is just weird to me lol

• Josh says:

Only 13 episodes means less filler and a tighter story

• Ella says:

I kinda think that’s the direction The CW is going in. They can’t compete with the big networks so it seems like they’re trying smaller orders, more in line with cable networks. I also think they’re looking for a hit because nothing they’ve produced in the last few years, that wasn’t a DC show, has come close to the kind of success they’ve had in the past and smaller orders for more projects means more possibilities.

• 13 episodes is very GOOD. 22 is a lot and it means more fillers

• Rex the Wonder Dog says:

What’s wrong with fillers? At one time all episodes of a TV series were fillers. Look at shows like Bonanza, The Beverly Hillbillies, Star Trek, The Brady Bunch, Dragnet. There was no overriding theme to the season. Each episode stood on its own.

• Gospino says:

Yeah, seasons with only 13 episodes suck! If I like a show, I want more of it, not less.

8. Haz says:

Good news! I’ll admit I’ve missed the past two episodes because I completely forgot it was coming on. Now that I know it will be back I’m just going to wait until this summer and watch it on Netflix. I will say the only downside about this is the adult cast deserves better. I get they are an integral part of the show but Luke Perry, Madchen Amick, and Marisol Nichols are pretty good actors and I feel they are playing second fiddle to the younger cast. All three of them could honestly be leading their own shows.

9. Pedro says:

What!? OMG! I’m so happy! It’s my favourite new show! The international Netflix deal must be doing well!

10. Thnks god! This show is more then grate with perfect cast!

11. Goldenvibefan says:

Wow! I wasn’t expecting this! Great news.. I’ve really enjoyed this show so far. Hopefully the 100’s renewal comes soon too! :)

12. Cindy says:

Love this freaking show!

13. Rachel says:

Yaasssss!

14. ToyCannon says:

Hooray! Now all I need is “Gotham” and “Pitch” to be renewed and I am good to go.

15. ZinniQ says:

Yay! I love it!

16. Jennifer says:

I’m so glad! I’m really loving this show. I hope it doesn’t suffer from a sophomore slump after the Jason Blossom mystery is wrapped up.

17. Colin says:

More Jughead and Veronica, less Archie and Cheryl.

18. nhogan47 says:

I’m betting/hoping that we’ll get The 100 and iZombie back again.

• Lizzie says:

Yes please on both. I don’t watch The 100 but I’ve only heard good things BUT iZombie please oh please! I love me some DCTV Superhero shows but in my opinion iZombie is a little more tight on the story line.

• nhogan47 says:

iZombie has fewer episodes per year, which is what makes it seem tighter. Not that I’m disagreeing with you, because that show is fantastic.

19. Pia says:

Let’s face it: after 12 years, the Winchesters are basically superheroes.

20. Jared says:

Great news! I feel like Riverdale is the type of show that will continue to build its audience once it hits Netflix and can be binge watched.

21. Amanda says:

This is my guilty pleasure show. I have watched every episode multiple times and believe it gets better with each new one. Jughead is my favorite.

22. Jeeper says:

This to me feels like a bit of a harbinger of doom for The 100. They’ve been pretty even ratings wise, with Riverdale doing a bit better. And with Rothenberg having another show in the pipeline, they might be cutting the incredibly problematic losses. The 100 is one of those shows that had SO much potential that was just wasted by poor show running, egotistical writers and the complete lack of self awareness. Plus, how many cast members at this point have had some form of injury or another? Too many. In any case, I’m sure the Netflix affiliation has given Riverdale an extra bargaining chip for renewal, I do wonder about the Originals though. It seems like CW is trying to corral all of their shows into Vancouver, and they film in Georgia I believe. I wonder if that will play a role.

• Temperance says:

I’d keep Riverdale and The 100, for sure. The Originals is running on empty, and IZombie was terrible from the start, so I wouldn’t hesitate to get rid of both.

• nhogan47 says:

Really? How much of iZombie have you seen? I thought Season 2 was hands down some of 2016’s best TV. And I watch a LOT of TV. Opinions, man.

• nhogan47 says:

Jason Rothenberg said at Comic-Con that he’s feeling good about Season 5.

23. CK3 says:

Great news. I really hope they rework Archie though. (Yes, KJ Apa is a good actor/singer.) How he managed to be written as the least interesting character in this show is beyond me. They need to do what they did to Laurel over on Arrow in 3 seasons, over the span of 1. Heck, at this point, I wouldn’t mind it if they just embraced the fact that he is a side character, at best, now and recenter the show around Betty, Veronica, Cheryl, and Kevin.

• KLS says:

He is the worst part of the show. Don’t know too much about the actor, but on first glance he can’t sing or act. The people around him make the show, not the lead. Crazy.

24. Phillip says:

SO MUCH YES!!!

25. Monica says:

I knew it was going to get renew

26. Temperance says:

Riverdale turned out to be my favorite new show – a bit of a guilty pleasure, but a real pleasure. The writing and plot is great, good characters, and generally nice acting. The mysteries are slowly being unravled, at a decent place with some nice reveals. Some of the adults are unhinged, and it touches into the gothic here and there (a good thing). It’s really a surprise in quality for a teen oriented show.

27. Anne says:

Omg yasssss!!!! This has quickly become one of my favourite new shows. So glad it got renewed!!

28. Amy says:

Definitely a guilty pleasure but I’m glad it’s been renewed so I can get attached to show and not get my heart stomped on with a one-season-cancellation. (Earth 2…. never forgotten)

29. Shawn says:

That’s a pretend ginger. No win. Couldn’t they find a true ginger who could fill the role?