This Is Us Spoilers Jack Drinking Season 1 Episode 17

This Is Us' Milo Ventimiglia Sees 'Danger' in Jack's Drinking... But Could It Lead Him to Cheat on Rebecca?

At the end of the Valentine’s Day This Is Us episodeJack ordered up a tall glass of trouble. Whether he’ll make it a double, star Milo Ventimiglia says, remains to be seen.

We’re talking, of course, about the recent scene that showed the Pearson dad drinking — after a long dry spell — following a fight with wife Rebecca. Ventimiglia tells TVLine that whether or not the alcoholic beverage is a one-time thing, it doesn’t bode well for their overtaxed marriage.

“If anyone can assume what that means symbolically, what that means in relation to Rebecca’s abhorrence of it, it spells danger and it spells problems,” Ventimigilia says. “But is Jack deserving of that moment to possibly take the edge off? Yeah, I think maybe he earned it.”

Thing is, as co-star Mandy Moore recently pointed out, nearly two decades of stay-at-home mothering has made Rebecca feel like she earned a chance to go on tour with her band. And in Tuesday’s episode (NBC, 9/8c), Mr. and Mrs. Pearson haven’t come to any easily resolutions about the feelings hurt in the Valentine’s Day hour.

This Is Us Season 1 Spoilers Jack AffairThen there’s a recently released photo (right), also from Tuesday’s episode, that show Jack and Miguel’s comely assistant, Heather, exchanging a look in a bar…

Ventimiglia deftly deflects the suggestion that perhaps the pair have an affair. “I think everybody wants to speculate and wonder what it is that could possibly pull Jack and Rebecca apart,” he says. “There are a lot of different things in life that pull any couple apart, whether it’s work or career or a spark with someone else. I think there are a lot of teasing elements that, of course, are going to be out there and questions that are going to get asked. I constantly tell people, ‘Just wait. All answers will come, probably pretty quick.'”

And as for the upcoming season finale, which airs March 14? “It’ll stress you the f—k out,” is all Ventimiglia will say, smiling.

1. Wrstlgirl says:

Hmmm, well Rebecca is singing in a band, at a bar, so if Jack likes drinking but sometimes overindulges, which we already know he did in the past, doesn’t that right there pose a problem?

2. Shar says:

Something has to give with Jack because he’s taken on a saint like presence in the kid’s memories and it would be a better story if he wasn’t so perfect.

• SB says:

While we can assume that in the kid’s memories they see their dad as a saint, we haven’t actually seen their memories. The flashbacks are not from the kid’s perspective, but how they actually happened. (half the time the kids aren’t even there)

3. Kenny says:

I hope I’m wrong, but I’m convinced that Jack died in a drunk driving accident.

• Wrstlgirl says:

They have made a point of showing us his on again off again drinking habits throughout the season.

• flowerduh says:

You too?!? I do as well. That was the first thought that came to my mind. I also think that he took another family with him in the process.

• Wrstlgirl says:

Wow, really, what makes you think that? Just curious. The problem with keeping how Jack died a secret for too long is that eventually the audience may have it figured out before they actually tell us. I hope that doesn’t happen. I don’t want to know beforehand.

• Dryheat says:

That might be a misdirect on the writer’s part…it seems a bit too obvious. I think Jack dies in a workplace accident on one of his construction projects.

But who knows?! ;-)

• MP says:

I read an interview with the guy who plays Kevin (his name is escaping me) and he said he’s read a lot of fan theories and none that he’s read have been correct. So I’m thinking it’s not drunk driving as that seems to be the guess that I see the most. I haven’t thought about specifics, but based on the fact the Kate seems to be affected the most by his death, I think it has something to do with her and she feels guilty that maybe she’s the cause of his death, or could have prevented it somehow.

4. dan says:

I don’t understand the obsession with knowing how Jack dies before it happens. Why are viewers so intent on trying to figure it out? I’d prefer for the story to unfold without spoilers or inaccurate guesses. I like how the show spreads out the twists so you never know when one is coming. Maybe I’m an old fashion tv watcher (although I used to enjoy spoilers for All My Children back in the day), but I’ll patiently wait for the story of Jack’s death as it’s told.

• KCatty says:

Says someone post on a site who’s primary draw is spoilers….. Um.

• dan says:

I don’t think this site is mostly filled with spoilers and I don’t watch every show that this site posts about. All I’m saying is that I prefer not knowing the way Jack dies ahead of time mainly because I’ve enjoyed the manner in which the story has been told and I prefer to wait for the twist (if it is a twist) to happen. Maybe if the tone of the show was different, I’d be guessing and speculating like others are doing. For example, the whole “who is under the sheet” and then “who killed Wes” kept me guessing on HTGAWM mainly because the show and storylines were built around those two mysteries. I don’t think This Is Us is built around the mystery of Jack’s death even though it is a huge underlying theme of the show and the present-day characters. Just my opinion.

• AFBerg says:

Ummm, maybe check your ability to form sentences before you make rude comments?

• Mary says:

I think it is because we all know that he died. Speculation is not that uncommon. I do like coming up with possibilities just to see if I am correct, which I am sure many others agree with me.

5. Barbara Parrott says:

The last new episode was when Randall went on the road trip to Memphis with William.

6. I felt that the last scene of the last new episode was setting up for Jack’s death. Jack was not an old man when he died. He wasn’t much older than when we see him weekly. I forget which era we were in when we last left Jack. Are the kids in their teens?

Logically, it does make sense that Jack dies in some sort of accident.

As for Rebecca, while yes, being a stay at home mom is tough, and yes, she wants to go on the tour, it’s not the right thing to do with 3 kids at home who need two parents. This isn’t a week long thing–it’s months. If the kids were in college, then absolutely, but they aren’t.

• Marian says:

It’s ONE month, and it’s what musicians DO. It’s part of their life and career. The kids are teenagers and it really shouldn’t be a big deal. I say this as a musician myself and a military spouse who has endured many deployments much longer than the 1 month Rebecca plans to tour. People are making a big deal about it because they know Jack dies soon.

7. Jordana Rozenberg says:

My theory is Jack gets arrested and dies in jail. Can’t get more heartbreaking than that