the-voice-recap kawan-debose-blind-auditions

The Voice Recap: Game 'On'

From the Ways You Can Tell They’re Getting Serious on The Voice file: Monday’s Blind Auditions found Blake Shelton relying on his dimples to curry favor with not only a contestant but a contestant’s mother, Blake and Adam Levine trying to rattle the un-rattleable Alicia Keys with smack talk, and Gwen Stefani stalking young-girl singers for her roster. But did the coaches recruit any truly noteworthy contestants? Read on below for my (randomly ordered) reviews of the nine singers advancing to the Battle Rounds, then hit the comments with your own critiques.

Kawan DeBose (Team Adam), “Let’s Get It On” — Grade: A- | OK, so the 30-year-old Floridian held onto that last long note by his fingernails, he still hit a high in there that many a singer would need a stepladder to reach. Adam even likened it to Prince’s falsetto. Also working in Kawan’s favor: He seemed to have not only the personality but the confidence of any three contestants combined.

the voice recap micah tryba blind auditionsMicah Tryba (Team Blake), “I’m Every Woman” — Grade: B- | The would-be veterinarian had the guts to tackle the Whitney Houston classic, but, after she started strong, I wasn’t really sure she had the pipes. (Even Adam noted that she had a coupla “issues.”) Furthermore, as Gwen gently suggested, Micah, sweet as she was, didn’t exactly overwhelm with personality on stage.

Jack Cassidy (Team Alicia), “One of Us” — Grade: C | Accompanied only by his own piano-playing, the 18-year-old nephew of David and Shaun Cassidy (and grandson of Shirley Jones) ably demonstrated that he had one of the night’s more distinctive voices. But neither did he seem to have a ton of control over it, nor was it always really entirely, er, pleasant. (I’d have swiveled for Ericka Corban instead.)

Taylor Alexander (Team Adam), “Believe” — Grade: A- | It might have been good enough to get a chair swiveling that the 25-year-old Georgian had a fine voice, which he did. But what really sold him was his bold and brilliant decision to cover Cher’s hit country style, which he also did. First performance I’ve heard this season that I’ll be buying off iTunes.

the voice recap kawan debose jack cassidyTroy Ramey (Team Gwen), “Wild World” — Grade: C+ | Bringing to mind a gentler Joe Cocker, the 32-year-old got all four chairs swiveling with his Cat Stevens tribute to his late father. Alicia heard “lifetimes in [his] voice.” For me, it was a little monotone. Pleasant but not exceptional. (Then again, as the season progresses, I might just be grading harder.)

Gaby Borromeo (Team Adam), “Happy” — Grade: B- | After a shaky start — which Adam nailed as nerves — the purple-haired New Yorker hit her stride and turned her Leona Lewis cover around. But although the young old pro, once almost “discovered” by John Legend, ended on a high note, would you really remember her an hour later, much less when we get to the Battle Rounds?

Missy Robertson (Team Alicia), “Scars to Your Beautiful” — Grade: C | The 34-year-old from Sacramento didn’t get any chair turns till the very last second. And, as interesting as her voice was — and as full of potential as it was — I kinda understood that. She didn’t seem to have a handle on how to control her powerful pipes.

Aaliyah Rose (Team Gwen), “Rise Up” — Grade: C+ | After getting a video shout-out from Meghan Trainor (whom she’d covered online), the 14-year-old YouTube star dazzled Gwen… but only Gwen. And sure, the kid’s voice has oomph. But her jitters — even her coach noticed that she got spooked the minute that chair swiveled — seem likely to be her undoing.

the voice recap kawan debose jack cassidy blind auditionsJosh West (Team Adam), “Ordinary World” — Grade: C | Despite the theatricality of his Duran Duran cover — and his lack of control over his big voice — the 17-year-old, playing for the first time without his bandmate/dad, managed to pull off a four-chair turn. Maybe the coaches were responding to his passion — the well-tressed youth’s vocals certainly had that in spades.

What did you think of Monday’s singers? Rank them below from least- to most-impressive and, if you’re so inclined, assign a letter grade to each while you’re at it.

1. JMark (formerly JM) says:

Completely agree with your assessment that Kawan and Taylor were the best by far. I think the only reason Taylor didn’t get more turns is because the other coaches were feeling sorry for Adam that he was so behind. Not one I would have given up had I been in their shoes. He keeps turning out performances like that, and he will go far. I also liked Missy and Troy, although they do need work, especially Troy’s enunciation.

• OhMy says:

Taylor was the only one for me tonight that I would listen to for more than a half-minute. And I’m not a big country person.

• Blake didn’t turn for him because he had so many country artist on his team already, it would be all country artist knocking each other out. With Adam, who had no country artist on his team, Taylor has a good chance of advancing because no one else on that team is like him. He will stand out in the Battle rounds. he would be lost on Blakes team. Very stand up thing for Blake to do in my opinion. Helping out a country artist by NOT picking him.

• PrincessO says:

I agree. He even said that he would have a wide open lane with Adam. He also said that when it come time, he is there for both of them! I absolutely LOVE Blake as a coach. I really kind of wish he would have turned for him though. He still doesn’t have any boys….

2. Jenna says:

The only one I would ever have any interest in listening to is Troy. I feel like a lot of the performances this season have come across either really dated or really affected/try-hard. Not my style.

3. Andres says:

I agree with the grades given out but I feel that Troy deserved at least a B or a B-. Kawan was the best hands down, but I also liked Gaby. I am gonna admit that it took me a couple of listens to realized how amazing Taylor cover of believe is. I would rank these people as so
    1.Kawan
    2.Taylor
    3.Gaby
    4.Troy
    5.Micah
    6.Missy
    7. Jake
    8.Josh
    9. Aaliyah

4. Smokey says:

I wasn’t real motivated by the song choices or inspired by any of them tonight. though some did well with their vocals and/or performance. Casi Joy from last week, is still my sweet Bae so far.

5. Russ says:

The Voice App rankings

Kuwan 89%
    Aaliyah 81%
    Kosh 81%
    Troy 76%
    Taylor 70%
    Jack 69%
    Micah 63%
    Gaby 63%
    Missy 55%

• JMark (formerly JM) says:

Okay, so Aaliyah I understand, because she apparently has a following on YouTube. But Josh? People must be voting for the hair…

6. Laura Herold says:

The Voice has lost its WoW factor. Surely you can do better then you have the last 2 years. I know its hard to trump Sawyer but you should try.

7. Taylor Alexander had a real classic country vibe. Very hank Williams-ish. Loved it. Sad that no one but him and Blake understood the BR549 reference. it meant that Taylor is going classic HeeHaw style country, not modern Bro-Country. His first song needs to be Hank williams “I’m so lonesome I could cry.” and kill it.

• skrable2 says:

I just thought the BR549 was a reference to the band of that name, which Wiki says was Junior Samples’ license plate on Hee Haw. Didn’t realize they styled their music from that era

8. david7118 says:

I’m going to show my age…I’m Every Woman is, for me, a Chaka Khan classic. As for the show I’m less than impressed with the talent. As popular as the show is you’d think they’d have a better pool of contestants. Sure there have been a few stand outs but overall I’m underwhelmed.

9. david7118 says:

Can we talk about how predictable the show has become? If Carson’s not spoiling things for us the producers do it by having three go through, the fourth gets no chair turns, three more go, another no chair turn, then the final two with the last person nearly always getting a four chair turn. I’ve yet to be wrong this season on who will go through and who won’t.

10. No chairs turned for him but we were having fire and weather bulletins in Kansas that kept us from hearing the young boy with the long blond hair. I really wanted to hear him. Is there anyway I can?

11. Lyn Jensen says:

I’m not a fan of the grades. This is a recap, not a classroom. Maybe use another way to rank the contestants?

• Lyn, Charlie is posting grades because of poster requests, as many long-time posters liked that element in Michael Slezak’s recaps, which always included a lot of performance analysis. It has to be tough to take over someone else’s long-time gig with an established base of followers! And I’m not suggesting you don’t have a perfect right to dislike the grading, by the way. I just wanted to say that Charlie was responding to poster requesting on this one.

12. DonV says:

Adam was clearly the big winner tonight. Though I thought Kawan was the overall best of the night, I also really liked Josh. Part of it may be that he did a genre that has become underrepresented on recent seasons of The Voice, but I was also impressed by his vocal range and swagger on stage. If not for her shaky first 10 seconds or so, I would probably put Gaby right up there with the first two.

The two performers who least impressed me were Troy and the Cassidy kid. Neither one has a particularly dynamic voice and their covers were rather boring.

13. Ellie B Sane says:

I’m Every Woman was a Chaka Khan song. Whitney’s song was a cover of that.

14. ara says:

It always makes me laugh when Blake makes fun of Alicia for being the worst coach last season!