Law Order SVU Trump Episode

SVU Star Confesses: The 'Lost' Trump Episode 'Wasn't One of Our Best'

Law & Order: SVU‘s thrice-postponed, President Donald Trump-flavored episode has now been verbally vetoed by a longtime cast member.

Previously, Veep‘s Gary Cole — who guest-starred in the SVU episode as a Trump-like presidential candidate accused of raping an underage girl — sounded skeptical it would ever see the light of day, explaining that when it was written last spring, “I think maybe the thinking was that the [real-life election] outcome was not going to be this outcome,” with Trump winning. “But now you’re in a whole different ballgame.”

Now, Ice-T, who plays Detective “Fin” Tutolua, says of the “lost” episode, “I don’t even think it’s worth showing. It wasn’t one of our best shows.”

After laying out the entire episode (twist outcome included) for Vanity Fair, Ice-T echoed Cole’s thoughts on art imitating life a bit too much. “Law & Order wants to be close, but not too close,” he said. “[E]ven though this guy [Cole] played wasn’t Trump, he acted like Trump. I think NBC just said, ‘You know what? This might be cheesy or corny.’ And to put it out now, it’s old and stuff.”

“I think they just got rid of it,” he said of the missing hour’s fate. “I don’t know if they burned [it] or whatever. They paid me for it. I don’t give a f–k, really. I got my money!”

The Trumpian episode was originally to be broadcast as the current season’s second installment. It was pushed back to October because of internal concerns over its content, and then delayed to after the election. Following Trump’s win, it was postponed a third time, without a new airdate.

“I haven’t been informed when it’s going to air,” series boss Dick Wolf said in January. “I suspect it will be this spring, but I don’t know.”

Want scoop on SVU, or for any other show? Email InsideLine@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Mark says:

It will air after the impeachment.

2. I had a good chuckle over Ice-T’s “I already got paid for it, so whatever.” But they’re right: at this point, it’s not worth showing unless NBC wants to “stick it to Trump” and wait for his feedback via Twitter.

• Ron says:

If it ever does air (I don’t it will, but we’ll see), the episode will obviously never mention Trump by name or anything. So my thinking is, if it does air and Trump tweets about it, then he must see something in the episode that he sees in himself. If the shoe fits, lace that b**** up and wear it. If Trump is innocent of everything, then he should have no reason to tweet about a fictional show portraying a story that isn’t explicitly about him. (But of course he’ll tweet…)

3. Daya says:

They claim they always put crap in summer because no one watches–put it there.

4. DS says:

Let the people judge, I want to see it.

5. xx says:

Not your best episode? You haven’t put out two good episodes in the same season for a decade. Pure cowardice.

6. drb999 says:

I hope they show it. The Orange Moron would surely have another Twitter temper tantrum over it. All he seems to be good for is a childish rant on Twitter.

7. Cordell says:

Any bad publicity we can give to Trump is good, air it, my DVR will record it

8. Natalie says:

Show it! Let the tweet storm being!

9. t.linn says:

I’m not sure I’ve ever read a post involving Ice-T where he doesn’t make some comment about not caring about anything except getting paid.

• thisismenow says:

The I don’t care attitude is mostly for show. He’s a damn good man and it is more fake persona than the actual man.

10. Pat says:

Under new showrunner Rick Eid, any episode airing this season can be considered “wasn’t one of our best shows”. It’s just gone downhill this season. Boring, trite and nothing edgy whatsoever.

11. Steven Cohen says:

With this train wreck both in and out of play, what is the max # of episodes SVU could air this season?

12. Mac says:

Just admit that you’re afraid of his orangeness you cowards

13. Who cares?! I watch SVU out of habit now (as it isn’t very good), but I’ve seen more write-ups on TVLine for this one “missing episode” of SVU in the last 3 months than I have for the entire show in the last 3 years. Let it go.

14. V.J. says:

Well, the whole season wasn´t one of their bests! I know that a lot of people were really unhappy with the Leight-era and the personal lives of the main characters but personally I liked a lot of the episodes that they aired. But this season it is really hard to watch. The cases aren´t that interesting, the writing isn´t that good, I feel like a lot of episodes have a problem with their pace, the underuse Barba… it is frustrating…
    And I am not surprised if they don´t air the Trump episode. And I personally don´t think they should.

15. Elaine says:

While I did not vote for Trump, I think it would be inappropriate to show that particular episode. I think it should be safely stored away.

16. girlfrombk says:

Will it be included in the DVD after the season airs? That’s the question.

17. Darwin says:

I agree with the others who have said that NBC should air the episode and let the viewers decide. If NBC has the guts to allow Saturday Night Live to make fun of the real Trump and his administration, why shy away from a fake one?