One Day at a Time Renewed at Netflix for 13-Episode Season 2

This is it: the renewal that many have been anticipating.

Netflix has picked up the critically acclaimed One Day at a Time — a reimagining of the classic Norman Lear sitcom — for a 13-episode Season 2, Deadline reports. The renewal comes nearly two months after the first season dropped on the streaming service.

The modern-day remake follows a Cuban-American family led by a recently separated, former military mom (Justina Machado), who is raising her progressive-thinking teenage daughter (Isabella Gomez) and ‘tween son (Marcel Ruiz) with the help of her old-school, Cuban-born mother (EGOT winner Rita Moreno) and friendly building manager Schneider (Todd Grinnell).

Lear serves as an executive producer on the comedy, along with Mike Royce (Everybody Loves Raymond) and Gloria Calderón Kellett (How I Met Your Mother).

Are you excited for more One Day at a TimeWatch the cast celebrate their big news in the video below.

1. Finally! I love this show so much and can’t wait for season two. And I consider Schneider to be Elena and Alex’s dad considering he’s doing a much better job of it than their biological father.

2. Dominique says:

excellent news! this is such a wonderful, refreshing comedy with so much heart and not afraid to talk about important topics. i’m so excited we’ll be getting more episodes!!

3. Qweenperky says:

Awesome possum! Loved the show and what a fun way to celebrate the renewal.

4. Kathy says:

I was surprised by how much I like this show. It is a nice combo of serious and light, and I love Justine Machado’s character. She brings such warmth and humor to the show. And of course – Rita Moreno is a gem in any role. Looking forward to season 2.

5. Michael says:

Yay!!!!! Such great news…one of the best new comedies in a long time

6. rarefied says:

I was surprised by how much I love this show! It perfectly captures the spirit of the original while still managing to be its own thing.

7. Eva says:

Yay, great news!

8. HAP says:

Justina was incredible in season one. Such range. Emmy quality work. Fun fact- no one in this Cuban-American family is of Cuban heritage. They are all of Puerto Rican heritage. The showrunner is of Cuban heritage.

9. Columbus says:

I am in love with this show. Tremendous writing and a great cast. So glad that it was renewed.

10. Shawn Ryals says:

I hope and sure that as smart as Norman Lear is he’ll get other original cast to make an appearance like Glenn Scarpelli and of course America’s original sweetheart Valerie Bertinelli.

11. For me, there was nothing special about the show when I first started watching it. Maybe I wasn’t in the mood? Idk. I had it on as background noise at first, but then I became interested and actually payed attention, and by the end of the season I was hooked! Afterwards I went back to re watch what I missed. This is great news!

12. Also, kind of off topic but wasn’t it a thing at one point in time where Netflix said they would always make sure to give closure to every one of their shows? I remember being excited that there was such an idea and how every network should do that regardless. When did they change their minds? Marco Polo was the first show I think they did that with. Why not give it closure (from what I hear, there was none)?

13. The Watcher says:

Netflix knocked it out of the park with this series. Here’s hoping for a Season 3 pickup as well.

14. Tony says: